Tick Travel Insurance
Find the policy that’s right for you with our Tick Travel Insurance review.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Important:Travel insurance rules continue to change as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. We’re working hard to keep up and make sure our guides are up to date, however some information may not be accurate during the pandemic. It’s even more important to double-check all details that matter to you before taking out cover. Please know that some policies may not be available through Finder at this time. Here are some helpful tips:
- If you're buying a policy today, it's unlikely that you'll be covered for any coronavirus-related claims
- If your travel plans go against government advice, your policy will most likely be voided and you won't be covered
Compare your travel insurance quotes
Made a search before? Retrieve your search results
Type or Select your destination(s)
Summary of Tick's Top policy
|Overseas medical and hospital expenses||Unlimited|
|Cancellation and amendment fees||$20,000|
|Luggage and personal effects||$7,500|
|Maximum age limit||100|
Table updated June 2020
What options are available?
- Tick Basic Travel Insurance. Unlimited medical expenses overseas, cover for personal belongings and baggage, trip disruption and personal liability cover of $1 million.
- Tick Budget Travel Insurance. Unlimited medical expenses overseas, $5,000 limit for emergency expenses and cancellation of pre-paid expenses. You also get increased cover for personal belongings and baggage and $1 million liability cover.
- Tick Standard Travel Insurance. Cover for the above plus travel delay, rental vehicle excess waiver and $1.5 million liability cover.
- Tick Top Travel Insurance. Unlimited overseas medical expenses, $20,000 cancellation cover, $7,500 for personal belongings and baggage cover, $3,000 for resumption of journey cover and $3 million of liability cover. It also comes with cover for hijacking, pet care, and accident, disability and death.
Tick Travel Insurance review of benefits
For an in-depth look at some of Tick's benefits, check out the table below.
|Overseas medical and hospital expenses||Unlimited||Unlimited||Unlimited||Unlimited|
|Return of remains to Australia||$20,000||$20,000||$20,000||$20,000|
|Funeral or burial outside Australia||$10,000||$10,000||$10,000||$10,000|
|In-hospital benefit||$75 per 24 hours||$75 per 24 hours|
|Cutting your trip short||$5,000||$15,000|
|Additional emergency expenses||$5,000||$5,000||$10,000||$20,000|
|Resumption of journey||$3,000|
|Travel delay||$50 per completed 12 hours||$100 per completed 12 hours|
|Personal belongings and baggage||$2,000||$2,500||$4,000||$7,500|
|Passport and travel documents||$2,000||$4,000|
|Death of dependant child||$7,500||$15,000|
|Personal liability||$1 million||$1 million||$1.5 million||$3 million|
|Rental vehicle excess waiver||$2,000||$4,000|
|Loss of income||$5,200||$10,400|
What additional cover is available?
- Winter sports cover. This option provides up to $1,250 of cover when your winter sports equipment is lost, stolen or damaged. Cover is also included for winter sports equipment hire, lift passes, ski packs, piste closure and avalanches.
- Additional specified items cover. If you add this optional extra to your Tick Travel Insurance policy, you can take out up to $4,000 of cover for a single valuable item, or up to $6,000 of cover for combined items.
- Natural disaster cover. This add-on may cover you for cancelling your trip before departure, having to cut your trip short and additional emergency expenses in the event of a natural disaster. Benefits vary between the different levels of cover. If you want cover for all though, opt for the Top cover.
Does Tick Travel Insurance cover cruises?
Yes. There's no need to buy a special "cruise add-on" because all of Tick Travel Insurance policies automatically cover you when you're at sea. That means you're automatically covered if the following were to happen:
You have a medical emergency and need to be airlifted from sea to the nearest hospital
You get gastro and the on-board medical centre charges you a fortune
A cyclone pummels your next destination and you have to cancel your pre-paid activities
You miss your departure because of a car accident on the way to the port so you need to fly to the next port
Note that Tick Travel Insurance does not offer niche cruise features that you might find on a specialty cruise policy or a specially designed cruise add-on. Therefore you won't find features like cabin confinement cover, which would pay you a daily stipend if cruise authorities confine you to your cabin, or formal attire cover, which would pay to repair or replace expensive formal attire or pay you to rent some if yours is lost or damaged.
What are the general exclusions?
Your Tick Travel Insurance claim may not be paid if:
- You are aware of a medical condition that could lead to a claim but do not notify your insurer when you take out cover, or are awaiting treatment for an undiagnosed condition
- Any insured person on the policy is travelling against the advice of a medical practitioner
- Any insured person on the policy has in the last five years suffered from or received medical advice, treatment or medication for a heart condition, blood circulatory condition, diabetes, stroke, brain haemorrhage, epilepsy, anxiety or depression
- It arises from your suicide, attempted suicide or deliberately putting yourself in danger
- It arises from the use of alcohol or drugs
- It is caused by war, riot, civil unrest or industrial action
- It arises due to your travel through a region for which the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade has issued a travel advisory
- It is for consequential loss of any kind
- It arises because of you being involved in any illegal or criminal act
- It arises because of you taking part in missionary work, humanitarian work or manual labour associated with any business or trade
- It arises from you being involved in any form of racing other than on foot
- It arises because you fail to get the right vaccinations or inoculations for travel
- It arises due to a government authority seizing, withholding or destroying anything of yours
- It is for a tour being cancelled due to insufficient numbers
- It arises due to errors or omissions in your travel arrangements made by you, your travel agent or anyone acting on your behalf
Tick Travel Insurance contact details
- To make a claim online. You can lodge your claim at this web address – https://www.tickinsurance.com.au/claims/
- By phone. Call +612 9333 3963 for emergencies
- Emergencies and claims. Email email@example.com
Tick Travel Insurance frequently asked questions
Apply for Tick Travel Insurance today
If you want simple, easy-to-understand travel insurance that covers you against a broad range of risks, Tick Travel Insurance may be able to help. Just make sure to compare Tick’s cover features with other policies on the market before deciding on which insurer and policy is right for your needs.
More guides on Finder
Compare $100,000 life insurance policies
$100,000 life insurance policies can be very affordable. Compare costs and cover here.
Compare $500,000 life insurance policies
Compare $500,000 life insurance policies, costs and cover here.
How to start an electrician business
Here's how to get started if you want to turn your skills as an electrician into a business.
ANZ Rewards Platinum Credit Card – Exclusive Offer
The ANZ Rewards Platinum Credit Card offers a competitive rewards program, $0 annual fee for the first year, a $500 gift card, a balance transfer offer and a range of complimentary insurance covers.
Life insurance for women
How to get life insurance for women.
Granny flat insurance
Find the right granny flat insurance, whether you're renting yours out or you've moved into one.
Are outdoor living areas covered by home insurance?
From gazebos to furniture to water features, outdoor living home insurance can cover a range of things we keep outside.
How to start a beauty business
From qualifications to getting the right insurance in place, here’s our guide to starting your beautician business.
Love your handbag? Handbag insurance is a good way to show it.
Ask an Expert