Compare Tick Travel Insurance policies and find the cover that's right for you.
Tick aims to provide simple and easy to understand travel insurance policies, to suit the needs of a wide range of travellers. Its policies can cover an extensive selection of common travel risks, including cancellation fees, lost deposits and overseas medical emergencies.
Consider Tick Travel if....
- You want the choice of a $0 excess to decrease out-of-pocket expenses
- You want easy contact with a support team via online chat
- You prefer to have an unlimited amount for cancellation. Tick's cancellation cover is lower than some other brands
- You're cruising and want specific cover for things like missed port connections and cruise departure
Compare quotes for Tick's travel insurance policies
Made a search before? Retrieve your search results
Type or Select your destination(s)
What options are available?
Tick Travel Insurance Single Trip policy provides four levels of cover: Basic, Budget, Standard and Top.
Tick Basic Travel Insurance provides cover for:
- Unlimited medical and hospital expenses outside of Australia
- Loss, theft or damage to your personal belongings and baggage
- Financial protection against trip disruption overseas
- Personal liability cover of $1 million.
A budget policy provides cover for a few "nice-to-have" benefits and an increased baggage allowance from a basic policy.
- Unlimited medical and hospital expenses overseas
- $5,000 limit for emergency expenses
- $5,000 limit for cancellation of pre-paid expenses
- $1 million in liability cover
- Increased cover for theft, lost or damaged baggage
- Increased sub limits for cover of your electronic items and valuables
Moving up to a standard policy, the level of cover and the range of benefits offered both increase. In addition to unlimited overseas medical cover, this policy also offers:
- A hospital cash allowance of up to $1,500
- Cover for the loss and theft of travel documents
- $5,000 of protection for cancellation fees and lost deposits
- Travel delay cover
- Higher limits for your personal belongings and baggage
- Legal expenses cover
- Rental vehicle excess waiver
- Accident, disability and death
- $1.5 million of liability cover.
As the name suggests, a Top Single Trip policy from Tick Travel Insurance offers comprehensive travel insurance, and includes cover for:
- Unlimited overseas medical expenses
- $20,000 cancellation cover
- $7,500 of personal belongings and baggage cover
- $3,000 of resumption of journey cover
- Cover for hijacking
- Legal expenses cover
- Rental vehicle excess waiver
- Accident, disability and death
- $3 million of liability cover
- Pet care costs.
What do these policies cover?
- Medical and hospital costs. Unlimited cover is provided for your overseas emergency medical and hospital expenses, including ambulance transportation and medical repatriation to Australia if necessary.
- Emergency costs. If you experience an emergency or your trip is disrupted while you are abroad, additional accommodation, transport and meals expenses you incur as a result can be covered.
- Cancellations, curtailments and journey resumptions. When an emergency forces you to cancel your trip before you go away or cut it short while you’re overseas, Tick Travel Insurance policies can cover the money you will lose as a result. Journey resumption cover can also allow you to resume your trip at a later date.
- Travel delay. When your pre-booked transport is delayed by 12 hours or more, your policy offers a benefit to cover essential costs such as food and drink.
- Baggage and valuables. If your baggage and/or belongings are lost, stolen or damaged during your trip, the cost of their repair or replacement can be covered up to a certain limit.
- Baggage delay. When your luggage is delayed by a carrier, you may receive an emergency cash allowance to help you purchase essential items like clothing and toiletries.
- Natural disaster cover. Cover is provided for losses related to unexpected and extraordinary natural phenomena including floods, earthquakes, tsunamis and landslides.
- Passports and money. Tick Travel Insurance offers cover if your passports, visas, travellers cheques or cash are lost, stolen or damaged on your trip.
- Personal accident and loss of income. In addition to death and disability benefits, Tick will also provide loss of income cover if an injury suffered during your trip keeps you off work when you return to Australia.
- Personal liability. Legal liability cover is provided, and can help when you are responsible for causing injury or property damage to a third party.
- Rental vehicle excess waiver. This benefit can cover the cost of your rental car insurance excess if the car is stolen, crashed or damaged, up the relevant limits.
- Cruises. Tick Travel Insurance is one of the few insurers that automatically cover you for all of the above features when you are on a cruise. Most other policies make you pay extra.
|Overseas medical and hospital expenses||Unlimited||Unlimited||Unlimited||Unlimited|
|Return of remains to Australia||$20,000||$20,000||$20,000||$20,000|
|Funeral or burial outside Australia||$10,000||$10,000||$10,000||$10,000|
|In hospital benefit||Nil||Nil||$75 per 24 hours||$75 per 24 hours|
|Cutting your trip short||Nil||Nil||$5,000||$15,000|
|Additional emergency expenses||$5,000||$5,000||$10,000||$20,000|
|Resumption of journey||Nil||Nil||Nil||$3,000|
|Travel delay||Nil||Nil||$50 per completed 12 hours||$100 per completed 12 hours|
|Personal belongings and baggage||$2,000||$2,500||$4,000||$7,500|
|Passport and travel documents||Nil||Nil||$2,000||$4,000|
|Death of dependant child||Nil||Nil||$7,500||$15,000|
|Personal liability||$1.5 million||$1 million||$1.5 million||$3 million|
|Rental vehicle excess waiver||Nil||Nil||$2,000||$4,000|
|Loss of income||Nil||Nil||$5,200||$10,400|
Does Tick Travel Insurance cover cruises?
Yes. There's no need to buy a special "cruise add-on" because all of Tick Travel Insurance's policies automatically cover you when you're at sea. That means you're automatically covered if the following were to happen:
- You have a medical emergency and need airlifted from sea to the nearest hospital.
- You get gastro and the on-board medical centre charges you a fortune.
- A cyclone pummels your next destination and you have to cancel your pre-paid activities.
- You miss your departure because of a car accident on the way to the port so you need to fly to the next port.
Note that Tick Travel Insurance does not offer niche cruise features like you might find on a specialty cruise policy or a specially designed cruise add-on. Therefore you won't find features like cabin confinement cover, which would pay you a daily stipend if cruise authorities confine you to your cabin or formal attire cover, which would pay to repair or replace expensive formal attire or pay you to rent some if yours is lost or damaged.
What additional cover is available?
- Winter sports cover. This option provides up to $1,250 of cover when your winter sports equipment is lost stolen or damaged. Cover is also included for winter sports equipment hire, lift passes, ski packs, piste closure and avalanches.
- Additional specified items cover. If you add this optional extra to your Tick Travel Insurance policy you can take out up to $4,000 of cover for a single valuable item, or up to $6,000 of cover for combined items.
- Natural disaster cover. This add on may cover you for cancelling your trip before departure, having to cut your trip short and additional emergency expenses in the event of a natural disaster. Benefits vary between the different levels of cover. If you want cover for all through, opt for the Top cover.
What are the general exclusions?
Your Tick Travel Insurance claim may not be paid if:
- You are aware of a medical condition that could lead to a claim but do not notify your insurer when you take out cover, or are awaiting treatment for an undiagnosed condition
- Any insured person on the policy is travelling against the advice of a medical practitioner
- Any insured person on the policy has in the last five years suffered from or received medical advice, treatment or medication for a heart condition, blood circulatory condition, diabetes, stroke, brain haemorrhage, epilepsy, anxiety or depression
- It arises from your suicide, attempted suicide or deliberately putting yourself in danger
- It arises from the use of alcohol or drugs
- It is caused by war, riot, civil unrest or industrial action
- It arises due to your travel through a region for which the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade has issued a travel advisory
- It is for consequential loss of any kind
- It arises because of you being involved in any illegal or criminal act
- It arises because of you taking part in missionary work, humanitarian work or manual labour associated with any business or trade
- It arises from you being involved in any form of racing other than on foot
- It arises because you fail to get the right vaccinations or inoculations for travel
- It arises due to a government authority seizing, withholding or destroying anything of yours
- It is for a tour being cancelled due to insufficient numbers
- It arises due to errors or omissions in your travel arrangements made by you, your travel agent or anyone acting on your behalf
How do I make a claim?
Claiming with Tick Travel Insurance can be done by sending in a claims form. Once you’ve downloaded the relevant claim form from the Tick website, complete all fields on the form, print it out, sign it and post it back to Tick Travel Insurance.
You’ll also need to include any other supporting information or documentation that may be required, such as receipts, proof of ownership, police reports or medical reports. All claims should be registered within 30 days of the completion of your journey.
Tick Travel Insurance FAQs
Apply for Tick Travel Insurance Today
If you want simple, easy to understand travel insurance that covers you against a broad range of risks, Tick Travel Insurance may be able to help. Just make sure to compare Tick’s cover features with other policies on the market before deciding on which insurer and policy is right for your needs.