Finder makes money from featured partners, but editorial opinions are our own.

Inbound travel insurance

Compare inbound travel insurance from Australian insurers and get cover for flight cancellations, lost luggage, medical expenses and more.

What you need to know

  • Inbound travel insurance is for people coming to Australia on holiday or for work.
  • You must be an overseas resident to get inbound travel insurance.
  • It covers you the moment you leave your home, during your trip in Australia, and your return flight.

Compare inbound travel insurane policies

BrandPolicy NameAge limitMedical coverCancellation coverApply


Inbound PlanUnder 70UnlimitedBenefit limit chosen
Get quote

How to apply


Inbound PlanUnder 70$10,000,000Benefit limit chosen
Get quote

How to apply

This information was last updated August 2023

What is inbound travel insurance?

Inbound travel insurance is for people currently living in another country and want cover while they're in Australia. It can cover you the moment you leave your home, during your trip in Australia, and also your return flight.

It provides cover for medical emergencies while you're in Australia, and it reimburses you for unavoidable trip cancellations and delays as well as lost, stolen or damaged luggage and personal items.

Inbound travel insurance vs regular travel insurance

You need to be a resident (or temporary resident such as a visa holder) to get regular travel insurance. An inbound policy is designed for non-residents visiting Australia.

The inclusions are the exact same though. You can get the same comprehensive level of cover as you would with a regular policy – cancellations, medical expenses, alternative transport costs and more.

General conditions for applicants

General eligibility requirements for inbound travel insurance include:

  • You must be a non-resident of Australia travelling to Australia for a temporary period and then returning to your home country
  • You generally must be under 70 years of age at the time the policy is issued (age limits vary between insurers)
  • Your trip must include travel within Australia
  • You must have purchased cover less than 12 months prior to arriving in Australia

What does inbound travel insurance to Australia cover?

Inbound travel insurance covers more than just your flight to Australia. You also get:

  • Medical, evacuation and repatriation expenses. This section of the policy protects you from the prohibitive costs of receiving medical treatment overseas. It also covers you if you need to be flown home due to medical complications.
  • Trip cancellation, delay or curtailment expenses and additional emergency expenses. If you're forced to cancel or rearrange your travel plans due to an unforeseen event, this benefit covers the additional expenses you incur.
  • Loss, theft or damage of luggage and personal effects. If your luggage is lost or stolen, this provision provides you with a benefit up to the limit listed in the policy document.
  • Replacement of passports and travel documents. If you lose your passport or your travel documents are stolen, this part of your policy covers you for the replacement costs you incur.
  • Rental vehicle insurance excess. Rental car excess provides cover for the gap or excess charged by a car rental company in the event your car is damaged or stolen.
  • Accidental death and funeral expenses. This cover provides your family with a benefit should you die while overseas and also provides cover for the costs of repatriation of your remains back to your home country.
  • Personal liability insurance. If while you're in Australia you become liable for damages to a third party, this benefit covers you up to the benefit limit for the costs your libel to pay.

Inbound travel insurance exclusions

Specific exclusions that apply to inbound travel insurance include:

  • No cover for pre-existing medical conditions unless approved
  • No cover for snow sports
  • No provision for suspension of the policy
  • No medical cover if you are entitled to Australian health benefits

There are also a range of general exclusions that apply to all travel insurance policies, including inbound travel insurance, where no cover is provided in the following circumstances:

  • Travelling against a doctor’s advice
  • Travelling to seek medical treatment
  • Any unapproved pre-existing medical condition
  • Child birth
  • Changing your mind about travelling
  • Self-inflicted injuries
  • Acting under the influence of drugs or alcohol
  • Mental illness
  • HIV or AIDS-related infection or illness
  • Riot, civil unrest, war or military coup
  • Malicious or criminal behaviour
  • Reckless or negligent behaviour
  • Racing, hunting or participating in unapproved extreme activities
  • Sailing in international waters
  • Professional sports
  • Scuba diving unless licensed or with a licenced instructor
  • Riding a motorcycle without an appropriate licence
  • Nuclear weapons or materials
  • Government intervention or prohibition
  • Failure to avoid further losses
  • Financial default of a travel provider

Why you can trust Finder's travel insurance experts

freeYou pay nothing. Finder is free to use. And you pay the same as going direct. No markups, no hidden fees.
expert adviceYou save time. We spend 100s of hours researching travel insurance so you can sort the gold from the junk faster.
independentYou can trust us. We say it like it is. We aren't owned by an insurer and our opinions are our own.

Inbound travel insurance FAQs

More guides on Finder

Go to site