Chi Travel Insurance
Want cover for cancellation, medical emergencies and more? Chi provides comprehensive and tailorable travel insurance for Australians both at home and abroad.
Chi Travel Insurance provides Australians with an affordable travel insurance option for both international and domestic travel. Chi Insurance is backed by Allianz insurance, a global leader in the insurance market and one of the most well respected names in the industry. Chi travel insurance covers:
Compare your travel insurance quotes
Made a search before? Retrieve your search results
Type or Select your destination(s)
- Unlimited Cancellation Cover
- Unlimited Emergency Evacuation & Medical
- Unlimited Emergency Hospital & Medical Expenses
- $5 million Personal Liability Cover
- and a whole lot more!
More about Chi Travel Insurance
What policies are available from CHI?
CHI Travel Insurance offers Australians travel insurance for both international and domestic
trips. The CHI policy range includes:
CHI offer five international policies. With the exception of the budget policy, all international
policies cover you for the same wide range of risks including medical expenses, trip cancellation, lost and stolen luggage, travel delay and rental vehicle excess.
The only difference is benefit limits. Basic has the lowest benefit limits and the limits increase
- Budget International. Bare bones policy covering only medical assistance, medical
expenses and personal liability.
- Basic International. Includes all categories of covered offered by CHI, with lower
benefit limits than the higher international policies. Includes $4,000 trip cancellation,
unlimited medical and $3,000 for lost luggage.
- Mid International. A step up from basic, covering all the same risks but with a big
jump in benefit limits in most areas. It offers $10,000 trip cancellation, unlimited
medical and $8,000 for lost luggage.
- Top International. A step up from mid, covering all the same risks but with slightly
higher limits in some cases. The big difference is $15,000 for trip cancellation.
Top Plus International. Exactly the same as top, but with unlimited cancelation cover.
There are three frequent traveller policies and they are exactly the same as the international
policies of the same name. However, they let you travel as much as you want throughout a
12-month period. You can even use them on domestic trips, although not all areas of cover
The choices are:
- Basic Frequent Traveller. Covers everything the Basic International policy covers and
at the same limits, including $4,000 trip cancellation, unlimited medical (international
trips only) and $3,000 lost luggage.
- Mid Frequent Traveller. Covers everything the Mid International policy covers and at
the same limits, including $10,000 trip cancellation, unlimited medical (international
trips only) and $8,000 lost luggage.
- Top Plus Frequent Traveller. Covers everything the Top Plus International policy
covers and at the same limits, including unlimited trip cancellation, unlimited medical
(international trips only) and $8,000 lost luggage.
These are your domestic plans. Unlike international policies, domestic ones don't include
medical cover, loss/theft of cash, credit cards and other documents or a few other categories
of cover (see table below).
- Basic Australia Only. Highlights include $4,000 trip cancellation, $50,000 toward
emergency travel expenses and $1,500 toward lost luggage.
- Mid Australia Only. Includes all the same cover as Basic but with higher limits. It
includes $10,000 trip cancellation, $50,000 toward emergency expenses and $8,000
toward lost luggage.
These are for people who aren't Australian residents who are travelling in and around Australia.
They are basically domestic policies with medical cover since non-residents usually aren't
covered by Medicare
- Basic Non-Resident. Highlights include $4,000 trip cancellation, $50,000 toward
emergency expenses and $500 to cover lost/stolen travel documents like passports,
traveller's checks and credit cards (but not money).
- Mid Non-Resident. Highlights include $10,000 trip cancellation, $50,000 toward
emergency expenses and $5,000 to cover lost/stolen travel documents like passports,
traveller's checks and credit cards (but not money).
These are international policies for travellers who aren't eligible for medical cover through CHI,
for example people with certain pre-existing conditions. These policies exclude areas related to
medical conditions like medical cover, disability cover, hospital cash allowance and loss of
Although they include trip cancellation cover, you can't claim cancellation if it is the result of a
- Basic Non-Medical. Highlights include $4,000 trip cancellation, $50,000 toward
emergency expenses and $3,000 toward lost luggage.
Is there anything Chi doesn't cover?
As with all travel insurance policies, Chi Travel Insurance has a list of situations when cover is not provided. Chi Travel Insurance will not pay if:
- You act in an irresponsible manner
- You do not do everything in your power to reduce the loss
- You are making a claim for consequential loss
- You were aware of a situation that would result in a claim when you purchased the policy
- Your claim is the result of your participation in an illegal activity
- Your claim is the result of a pandemic or epidemic
- You were riding a moped, scooter or motorcycle without a license
- You travelled against governmental warnings or advice
- Your claim is the result of war, insurrection, rebellion or revolution
- You travelled against the advisement of a medical professional.
I have a pre-existing condition, can I get cover?
A pre-existing medical condition refers to a medical condition you were aware of:
- Prior to the time of the policy being issued that involves your heart, brain, circulatory system, lungs, chronic airways disease, cancer, back pain or surgery involving joints, back, spine, brain or abdomen, or diabetes mellitus
- In the two years prior to the time of the policy being issued
- In case of pregnancy prior to the time of the policy being issued
- In case of you awaiting specialist opinion or being under investigation to define a diagnosis prior to the time of the policy being issued.
Pre-existing medical conditions can be paid only if they are conditions that Chi Travel Insurance expressly agrees to cover. If they are not covered, they won’t pay any claims related, associated or arising from the conditions.
You cannot be covered if:
- You are awaiting or have had an organ transplant
- You have been given a terminal prognosis or have any condition with life expectancy of less than 24 months
- You require oxygen therapy, or you will require oxygen during the journey
- You have AIDS or an AIDS defining illness
- You have chronic renal failure which is treated by haemodialysis or peritoneal dialysis.
This is unless you opt for Traditional Plan F or Basic Non-Medical cover.
All travellers 75 years old or over can be covered under Plans A, B, Basic International & Basic Australia only. The company could accept or decline cover or impose special conditions such as an excess.Back to top
My bags were stolen, how do I make a claim?
In order to file Chi Travel Insurance claim form, you need to give Allianz Global Assistance notice of your claim as soon as possible. If there is a delay in this notification or you do not provide them with sufficient detail to process your claim, the company could reduce your claim because of the inconvenience they have suffered because of the delay.
You need to give them any information they require or documents such as police reports, valuations, medical reports, original receipts or proof of ownership. The company needs:
- In case of medical, hospital or dental claims, to be contacted as soon as possible
- In case of loss or theft of luggage or personal effects, a written police report
- In case of damage or misplacement of luggage or personal effects caused by the airline or travel operator or accommodation provider, a written report including any offer of settlement
- The documentation to be sent within 30 days of your return
- Claims are paid in Australian dollars
- In case of luggage and personal effects, the company will apply a reasonable depreciation
- In case of loss, damage or liability covered under this policy or by another insurance policy, you need to give details of such insurance. If the claim has been fully paid by another insurance you cannot make a claim under this policy.
Anything else I need to know?
- Tailoring your policy. If you have specialist requirements that are not included on the standard plans, such as pregnancy or pre-existing medical conditions, you will need to refer to the PDS for further information. This will enable you to check where you stand, such as what is construed as a pre-existing medical condition. This document will also provide important details about eligibility for the different plans available from Chi Travel Insurance, so you know which plan you are able to go for.
- Read the PDS. You will find the important terms, conditions, restrictions and exclusions in the PDS, which means that you can familiarise yourself with the finer details relating to the travel insurance plan that you are considering in order to make the right choice.
- Cooling off period. Chi Travel Insurance have a fourteen day cooling off period to decide whether the plan you have chosen is definitely the right plan for your needs. If you change your mind within the fourteen day period you can cancel the cover without any penalty. However, you do need to do this within the specified fourteen day period. If you are set to travel in the very near future, you are better off doing this sooner rather than later, as you will need time to make alternative arrangements with an alternative travel insurance plan.
Got more questions about Chi Insurance?
Q. Who underwrites Chi Insurance?
- A. Chi Travel Insurance is issued and underwritten by Allianz.
Q. Can I get cover if I'm already overseas?
- A. Yes, as long as your trip starts overseas and ends in Australia.
Q. Can I get cover if I'm older than 75?
- A. Yes, if you are 75 years of age or over, you may be able to get cover Plans A, B, Basic Australia Only and Basic International in certain circumstances.
Q. When does my cover begin?
- A. You are not covered until you are issued a Certificate of Insurance. The period of travel covered is set out in the Certificate.
Q. Can I extend my cover?
- A. Yes, you can extend your cover free of charge in certain circumstances. If your return to Australia is delayed because of an airline, bus line, rail authority, shipping line is delayed. You may also be covered if the delay is due to a reason that your policy covers (subject to our written approval). If the extension is for reasons other than these, you will need to advise Chi Travel Insurance seven days prior to the end date on the policy.
Q. Is skiing covered?
- A. Yes. Chi travel insurance cover certain losses relating to ski travel. However, off-piste skiing is not covered.
About Chi Insurance
Chi Travel Insurance offers both domestic and worldwide travel insurance cover to Australian residents. Chi also have a travel insurance option available to non-residents travelling to and within Australia.
Chi Travel Insurance is an authorised representative of one of the largest insurance groups in the world, Allianz. Chi Insurance is authorised by Allianz to arrange for customers to enter into or vary travel insurance products on behalf of Allianz. All travel insurance policies are underwritten by Allianz.
Cover from Allianz Global Assistance
Customers of Chi Travel Insurance can feel secure knowing that should anything happen to them overseas, Allianz Global Assistance will be on hand to provide emergency support. Allianz provides emergency medical assistance to the travel insurance industry through:
- Emergency medical evacuation. Emergency evacuation to nearest medical facility for treatment by the most appropriate means of transport.
- Emergency medical repatriation. Arrangement of medical repatriation of Australian and New Zealand policyholders to their country of residence. Full medical support for transfer to hospital or treatment facility 24/7 anywhere in the world.
- International agents. Allianz global assistance also provides a team of international agents to facilitate the treatment of policyholders in different medical facilities by approved nurses and doctors.
Compare travel insurance today and find the right cover for you
Through Allianz, Chi Travel Insurance has developed a diverse range of highly-competitive travel insurance products with a range of different benefits for a variety of travellers.
Ask an Expert