iTrek Travel Insurance
Looking to venture off the beaten track? Consider iTrek for your next adventure.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Important:Travel insurance rules continue to change as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. We’re working hard to keep up and make sure our guides are up to date, however some information may not be accurate during the pandemic. It’s even more important to double-check all details that matter to you before taking out cover. Please know that some policies may not be available through Finder at this time. Here are some helpful tips:
- If you're buying a policy today, it's unlikely that you'll be covered for any coronavirus-related claims
- If your travel plans go against government advice, your policy will most likely be voided and you won't be covered
Compare your travel insurance quotes
Made a search before? Retrieve your search results
Type or Select your destination(s)
Summary of iTrek's Comprehensive policy
|Overseas Medical and Hospital Expenses||Unlimited|
|Cancellation and Amendment Fees||$20,000|
|Luggage and Personal Effects||$10,000|
|Maximum Age Limit||64|
Table updated June 2020
Finder's favourite features:
1. Simple choice of cover with 4 plans on offer
2. Underwritten by one of the biggest underwriters in Australia, LLoyds
3. Specific long term cover available for those with a visa to the US, UK and Canada
Comparison of benefits
There are four insurance policies on offer by iTrek. We have summed up their various benefits and features in the table below:
|Benefits||Comprehensive||Essentials||Medical Only||Long Term Cover|
|Overseas medical emergency assistance and expenses||Unlimited||$5,000,000||$5,000,000||Unlimited|
|Accidental death and disability||$25,000||$25,000|
|Luggage and personal effects||$10,000||$2,500||$10,000|
|Luggage/ personal effects delay expenses||$500||$250||$500|
|Cancellation fees and lost deposits||$20,000||$5,000||$15,000|
|Treatment by chiropractor and physiotherapist||$1,000||$500||$500||$1,000|
|Rental vehicle insurance excess||$4,000||$3,000|
|Credit card fraud and travel documents||$2,500||$2,500|
|Alternative transport expenses||$5,000||$5,000|
Table was last updated: June 2020
iTrek travel insurance review of policies
iTrek's best range of protection. Includes unlimited medical expenses, cover for lost luggage and travel documents, personal liability and more. Has the largest maximum benefits of any plan.
A smaller version of the comprehensive plan. Still offers medical cover and luggage costs, but omits extras like travel delay expenses and rental vehicle insurance excess.
Long Term Cover
This is a special version of the Comprehensive plan, offering the same benefits but allowing for the period of cover to be extended to 24 months. Only available if travelling to the USA, Canada or the UK.
This plan will only cover you for various medical expenses and provide a basic level of legal liability. Important benefits such as cancellation and luggage cover is not included.
What options can I add-on to my iTrek travel insurance?
In addition to the major benefits outlined above, you can obtain extra cover options at the price of an increased premium. These are generally available for non-Medical Only plans and include:
- High value items. If you have the Comprehensive policy, you can add $5,000 of cover for high value items that are less than 12 months old.
Winter sports pack. Winter sports are not covered without this option. It also adds in winter sports-specific features like emergency rescue, piste closure, avalanches and bad weather, and winter sports hire equipment.
- Bicycle pack. This adds bicycles onto the list of items that will be covered in the event of theft or damage. The bicycle has to be less than three years old.
- Adventure pack. Most risky sports and activities are not included in your travel insurance plan. With the adventure pack, you can take part in a wide range of approved activities and still be covered by iTrek.
- Trekking pack. If you're planning to go trekking while you're on your trip, you'll need this add-on to cover treks you take with a licensed guide or operator.
What isn't covered by my policy?
No matter what insurance provider you go with, there are situations where they will refuse to pay a claim. For iTrek, they will not cover you if:
- You're acting irresponsibly at the time of the incident.
- You've engaged in manual labour related to a business or trade while on your trip.
- You are doing anything illegal, criminal or prohibited.
- You're driving or are a passenger in a vehicle or moped driven by someone who does not hold the appropriate licence for the country you're in.
- You decide to travel somewhere that has a current travel warning either from any government or the mass media.
- You're travelling with a pre-existing medical condition that hadn't already been approved by iTrek before you purchased your travel policy.
- You are under the influence of unprescribed drugs or alcohol at the time of the incident.
- Your claim relates to any risky sport or activity, unless you've purchased the appropriate add-on for your policy.
Claim and contact details for iTrek
Emergency line:+61 2 8776 3010 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Make a claim online: https://www.itrektravelinsurance.com.au/travel/claims/
General enquiries: 1300 379 336
More guides on Finder
iTrek travel insurance promo code January 2021
iTrek Travel Insurance is insurance for travellers rather than tourists, offering simple and cost effective cover tailored to suit every price range.
Ask an Expert