RACV Travel Insurance
RACV travel insurance has plans tailored to domestic and international travel. Plus, members get access to special discounts.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder.
Important:Travel insurance rules continue to change as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. We’re working hard to keep up and make sure our guides are up to date, however some information may not be accurate during the pandemic. It’s even more important to double-check all details that matter to you before taking out cover. Please know that some policies may not be available through Finder at this time. Here are some helpful tips:
- If you're buying a policy today, it's unlikely that you'll be covered for any coronavirus-related claims
- If your travel plans go against government advice, your policy will most likely be voided and you won't be covered
Compare your travel insurance quotes
Made a search before? Retrieve your search results
Type or Select your destination(s)
Finder's favourite features:
1. Free cover for dependent kids under 25yrs (the industry standard is 18-21yrs!)
2. Up to $8,000 rental car excess cover on some policies
3. Signing up to a plan gives you access to RACV member discounts
Summary of RACV's Total Travel Care policy
|Overseas Medical and Hospital Expenses||Unlimited|
|Cancellation and Amendment Fees||Unlimited|
|Luggage and Personal Effects||$15,000|
|Funeral Expenses Overseas||$20,000|
Table updated August 2020
What policies are available with RACV travel insurance?
Here's a quick summary of the different policies that RACV offer.
International travel plans
Domestic travel plans
Annual multi trip travel insurance
A default excess of $250 is applied to all plans, you can opt to lower your excess to either $100 or $0 for an extra payment.
RACV travel insurance review of policy benefits
Domestic travel cover
International travel care
International extra care
International total travel care
Annual multi-trip cover
|Cancellation fees and lost deposits|
|Travel agent fees|
|Overseas medical and hospital costs|
|Cash in hospital|
|Overseas dental costs|
|Funeral expenses overseas|
|Luggage loss or damage|
|Resumption of travel|
|Rental car excess|
|Loss of income|
|Hijak and kidnapping|
Policy add-ons available with RACV travel insurance
- Ski and Winter Sports cover. You can purchase additional cover on the Total Travel Care, Extra Travel Care and Domestic policy. You will need to purchase this add-on if you plan on skiing or snowboarding to be covered for any accidents or injuries that could happen on the slopes.It's handy to know that RACV provide a specific benefit for Lift Passes, separate from the normal Ski Pack allowance.
RACV car hire excess insurance
Car hire excess insurance covers the excess amount that a rental company will charge if you get into an accident and damage the vehicle. Without this, you would need to pay for damages to the car and damages to other property involved. You can imagine how quickly the expenses would sum up!
In saying this, make sure you pay attention to the excess amount charged by the car rental company, and ensure you take out the appropriate policy to cover this amount. The below table outlines the limits for rental car excess insurance with RACV.
|Total travel care plan||$8,000|
|Extra travel care plan||$4,000|
|Rental car excess only||Cover chosen|
Pre-existing conditions covered by RACV
You are covered for certain pre-existing conditions at no extra charge. Cover includes:
- Allergies limited to rhinitis, chronic sinusitis, eczema, food intolerance, hay fever
- Bell's palsy
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Coeliac disease
- Congenital blindness
- Congenital deafness
- Diabetes (types 1 & 2)
- Dry eye syndrome
- Gastric reflux
- Gastric/peptic ulcer
- Graves' disease
- Hip/knee replacement
- High cholesterol/blood pressure
- Macular degeneration
- Sleep apnea
Conditions that aren't covered include:
- Conditions involving drugs or alcohol dependence
- Conditions you are travelling to seek medical treatment or review for
- You have booked or started travelling against medical advice
- Any conditions you are currently awaiting surgery, treatment, investigation or procedures for
RACV travel insurance claim and contact details
Claims and contact details
Emergency Assistance (24/7 help): +61 2 8055 1699
Make a claim online: Register and start your claim at https://racv-onlineclaim.tmnfatravelinsurance.com.au/Account/Register
Make a claim over the phone: 1300 207 387
General phone enquiries: 13 13 29
More guides on Finder
As Australia reopens, don’t forget travel insurance
Travel insurance isn't just for overseas trips.
Life insurance for 35-year-olds
Compare life insurance policies for 35-year-olds
$1 million life insurance policies
Looking for $1 million life insurance? Compare policies here.
Can I still get life insurance if I’m overweight?
Find out if you can still get life insurance if you’re overweight, what your options are and where to get cover.
Best prepaid plans for October 2020
Each month, we pick the best prepaid plans for 5 different categories to help you find the right mobile plan.
Life insurance for new parents
We talk you through life insurance options for new parents.
2021 Ute guide
Looking for a new ute? Don't buy one till you've read our 2021 ute guide
You can get swimming pool insurance included with most home and contents insurance policies. Find out who provides cover and what insurance you need.
Individual Income tax rates in Australia
Find the latest income tax rates set by the ATO
Best electric bikes for Uber Eats
Looking for an e-bike to help power your Uber Eats deliveries? Here’s how to find the right bike for your needs.
Ask an Expert