Compare Holiday Rescue travel insurance policies that offer first-class medical care.
With a worldwide network of hand-chosen medical providers, Holiday Rescue travel insurance (HRTI) gives you travel protection you can be confident in.
Holiday Rescue offers well-thought-out policies that value quality of care, which is why you'll get unlimited medical cover and 24/7 access to a registered nurse in case of an emergency overseas. So when this company says it wants to change the face of travel insurance, it means it.
Get a quote now from Holiday Rescue travel insurance
Made a search before? Retrieve your search results
Type or Select your destination(s)
What policies can I choose from and how do they compare?
As part of its mission to transform travel insurance, Holiday Rescue offers just a few no-nonsense, easy-to-understand policies: one for domestic travel, simply called Domestic and two for international travel labelled Essentials and Comprehensive.
As you'll see, the policies are so easy to understand that the only difference among them is the number of benefits offered. The benefit amounts are the same across the board if that benefit is offered.
Here's the cover you'll get per person on each policy:
|Holiday cancellation and changes|
|Delayed to a special event|
|Rental vehicle insurance excess|
|Passports, documents and bank cards|
|Personal items and cash|
What's covered under a Holiday Rescue policy?
Here are some common situations you'll be covered for if your policy contains the benefit mentioned:
- You get the flu overseas and need medical attention (international only). Emergency medical covers you for unlimited medical expenses, and that includes your transportation to the hospital, your medical bills and the costs of a family member or friend to be by your side. This even includes emergency air transportation including taking you back to Australia if needed.
- Your bus didn't show up and you miss the whole afternoon's activities (all policies). Holiday cancellation and changes reimburses you if you've paid for an activity that you have to miss and it's not your fault.
- A thief snatches your wallet as you take it out to pay for your hot dog (comprehensive only). Under personal items and cash, anything valuable that's lost or stolen will be replaced. If personal documents went missing, passports, documents and bank cards cover will help you pay to have them replaced.
- Someone keys your rental car while you're in getting groceries (all policies). If you have to make a claim on a rental vehicle without insurance, you could be facing an out-of-pocket expense of $3,000+. The rental vehicle excess benefit on all three HRTI policies cap that at $500.
- You have to have emergency surgery a week before your trip (all policies). If it's for a good reason, you can cancel your whole trip and get your money back under your policy's holiday cancellation and changes benefit. This also applies to other emergencies like death in the family and disaster striking your home.
- You arrive at your destination but your luggage doesn't (comprehensive only). You won't be without supplies because the luggage delay benefit will give you cash to buy what you need until your luggage is returned.
- A screw up by the airline means you might miss the wedding you're attending (all policies). Usually you'd only be covered for a few inconveniences like out-of-pocket expenses. But if it's a special event like a wedding, the special events delays benefit will pay for last-minute transportation to get you there.
- You pass away on your trip (all policies). The funeral section of your policy will help ease some of the burden from your family if you pass away.
What are some other options offered by Holiday Rescue Travel Insurance?
The only other option HRTI offers is cruise insurance but you just tack that on as an option after you get your quote. It doesn't change anything regarding your benefits or limits. The only differences are that your premium will go up slightly and your benefits will now also apply at sea.
Ski cover is automatically included. Pregnancy is also automatically included but you'll have limited cover if you're more than 20 weeks pregnant.
What's the excess I have to pay?
About half of your benefits have no excess and half have an excess of $100 per claim.
Here's what your excess will be for each claim you make:
|Holiday cancellation and changes||$100|
|Delayed to a special event||$100|
|Rental vehicle excess||$100|
|Passports, documents and bank cards||$100|
|Personal items and cash||$100|
What won't be covered under my policy?
There are a number of reasons Holiday Rescue could deny your claim:
- You have a pre-existing condition that HRTI said it won't cover.
- You're more than 20 weeks pregnant and try to claim on one of the restricted pregnancy benefits.
- Your doctor told you not to travel, but you went anyway.
- You're trying to get HRTI to pay for cosmetic surgery.
- You've been drinking, doing drugs or breaking the law when the event happened.
- You cancel your trip "just because".
- You're going overseas to do manual work.
- You travel somewhere for which the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade has issued a travel warning.
Why should I consider Holiday Rescue for my travel insurance?
Holiday Rescue wants to be the new face of travel insurance, so it’s working hard to give you features you'll love. Here are a few reasons to go with HRTI:
- Unlimited medical expenses with no excess
- Carefully selected network of high-quality medical providers around the world
- 24/7 worldwide emergency hotline with a nurse on the other end
- No maximum age limit
- Children and grandchildren travel free
Can I make changes to my policy?
HRTI will let you extend your policy with the following conditions:
- You have to ask for the extension before your holiday ends.
- Your holiday can't last more than a year even with the extension.
- You won't be covered for injuries or illness that you got before the extension.
- You won't be covered until you pay the additional premium.
According to the product disclosure statement (PDS), you can make changes to your policy but you'll have to visit the HRTI website and submit your request online.
Can I get cover for a pre-existing medical condition?
Like most insurers, HRTI will cover many pre-existing conditions. Its application form requires you to describe any pre-existing condition you have outside of "an everyday cold" or tummy bug. You'll have to declare it if any of the following describes your condition:
- You’re waiting to see a medical professional about it.
- You're waiting on a test or the results of a test.
- You require ongoing treatment or check-ups.
- You're supposed to be on medication for it.
- You've seen a medical professional in the last 3 months.
- You've had surgery or been in the hospital in the past 3 years.
- It’s related to heart problems, stroke or cancer.
After you declare the condition, HRTI will decide if they want to cover it and will treat it in one of three ways:
- They'll automatically cover it at no additional charge.
- They'll cover it if you pay an additional premium.
- They won't cover it (but you'll be covered for everything else).
Can I get cover for my camera, jewellery or other expensive items?
If you have the comprehensive policy from HRTI, you'll have a total of $5,000 you can claim for lost and stolen items. But there's a limit to what you can claim for each type of item. Here are the sub-limits:
- Clothing, shoes and toiletries: $1,500
- Wedding rings, engagement rings and watches: $2,000
- Mobile phone and tablets: $1,000
- Laptops and cameras: $2,000
- Other personal items: $1,000
- Medication: $500
- Cash: $250
Most insurers let you add extra cover for high-value items. Holiday Rescue doesn't advertise this feature, but give them a call them to find out if you can insure high-value items separately.
How do I contact HRTI?
HRTI's 24/7 emergency assistance line is: +61 280 046 090.
Here are a few other ways to contact HRTI if it’s more convenient for you:
- Text: +61 488 863 244
- Email: email@example.com
- Call within Australia: 1 800 960 374
How do I make a claim with Holiday Rescue?
Holiday Rescue make it easy to claim with their online claims portal. Once you click "Get started” you just need to provide the following:
- All relevant claim info. This includes the type of claim, the reason for your claim, a description of what happened including the date and location.
- Your personal information. Your name, date of birth, phone number, email address, policy number and bank account details (for the claim payment).
- The total amount of money you want to claim.
- All supporting documents. Examples include receipts, police reports, medical reports, photo evidence and any other relevant document.
If you have any final questions...
Brad Buzzard is an insurance writer at Finder and is an expert in almost any type of insurance you can think of: health, car, travel, life, home, business... even drone insurance. He has more than a decade of experience in research and analytics, which means he can dig deep into policy documents to untangle the confusing jargon. Brad’s favourite activities are keeping fit and aiming to be the best role model he can be for his daughter.