Holiday Rescue Travel Insurance
Here's a quick and easy way to find out if Holiday Rescue travel insurance is right for you.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Important:Travel insurance rules continue to change as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. We’re working hard to keep up and make sure our guides are up to date, however some information may not be accurate during the pandemic. It’s even more important to double-check all details that matter to you before taking out cover. Please know that some policies may not be available through Finder at this time. Here are some helpful tips:
- If you're buying a policy today, it's unlikely that you'll be covered for border closures
- If your travel plans go against government advice, your policy will most likely be voided and you won't be covered
We've done the research and put it all together for you. Holiday Rescue offers travel insurance underwritten by The Hollard Insurance Company. You can get a quick quote from our search tool or read on to learn about their different policy types and benefits.
Compare your travel insurance quotes
Made a search before? Retrieve your search results
Type or Select your destination(s)
Summary of Holiday Rescue's International Comprehensive policy
|Overseas Medical and Hospital Expenses||Unlimited|
|Cancellation and Amendment Fees||$50,000|
|Luggage and Personal Effects||$5,000|
Table updated August 2020
Finder's favourite features:
1. Anyone can get cover with no age limits
2. Automatic cover for skiing and snowboarding, this includes cover for your gear and prepaid costs
3. Express claims - Holiday Rescue aims to have your claim resolved within 2 business days
There are three basic travel plans on offer, with their main features highlighted for you below.
Holiday Rescue offers various features for each of their three travel plans, summarised in the table below.
What's the excess I have to pay?
About half of your benefits have no excess and half have an excess of $100 per claim.
Here's what your excess will be for each claim you make:
|Holiday cancellation and changes||$100|
|Delayed to a special event||$100|
|Rental vehicle excess||$100|
|Passports, documents and bank cards||$100|
|Personal items and cash||$100|
Can I get cover for a pre-existing medical condition?
Like most insurers, HRTI will cover many pre-existing conditions. Its application form requires you to describe any pre-existing condition you have outside of "an everyday cold" or tummy bug. You'll have to declare it if any of the following describes your condition:
- You're waiting to see a medical professional about it.
- You're waiting on a test or the results of a test.
- You require ongoing treatment or check-ups.
- You're supposed to be on medication for it.
- You've seen a medical professional in the last 3 months.
- You've had surgery or been in the hospital in the past 3 years.
- It's related to heart problems, stroke or cancer.
After you declare the condition, HRTI will decide if they want to cover it and will treat it in one of three ways:
- They'll automatically cover it at no additional charge.
- They'll cover it if you pay an additional premium.
- They won't cover it (but you'll be covered for everything else).
Can I get cover for my camera, jewellery or other expensive items?
If you have the comprehensive policy from HRTI, you'll have a total of $5,000 you can claim for lost and stolen items. But there's a limit to what you can claim for each type of item. Here are the sub-limits:
- Clothing, shoes and toiletries: $1,500
- Wedding rings, engagement rings and watches: $2,000
- Mobile phone and tablets: $1,000
- Laptops and cameras: $2,000
- Other personal items: $1,000
- Medication: $500
- Cash: $250
Most insurers let you add extra cover for high-value items. Holiday Rescue doesn't advertise this feature, but give them a call them to find out if you can insure high-value items separately.
As always with any insurance plan, there are certain situations where the insurer will not pay a claim. You should check the specific plan you purchase for details, but in general Holiday Rescue will not cover you if:
- If you partake in any criminal or illegal activity in the country you're in.
- You're acting in an unsafe or irresponsible manner at the time of the claim.
- You're caught up in a scam or fraud that you could reasonably have avoided.
- It's related in any way to the use of drugs or alcohol.
- Your claim arises as the result of a pre-existing medical condition that wasn't declared or approved.
- You ignore warnings about a destination from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade and go anyway.
Claims and contact details
Emergency assistance: Call +61 280 046 090
Text: +61 488 863 244
Call within Australia: 1 800 960 374
If you have any final questions...
More guides on Finder
Finder’s Travel Index
Finder's Travel Index is an ongoing series of surveys conducted in 18 countries to get a beat on the global travel pulse.
Best baby changing tables in Australia
These are the six best baby changing tables you can buy right now in Australia.
Best SSDs in Australia
Speed up your system with one of the best SSDs you can buy right now in Australia.
Where can I travel from Australia in 2021?
Discover exactly what you need to know about leaving Australia.
Best iPhone 12 Pro cases in Australia
Keep your new tech protected with one of the best iPhone 12 Pro cases available right here in Australia.
HSBC Platinum Credit Card
This card offers 0% interest on balance transfers for 36 months, a discounted $29 first year annual fee and platinum benefits including airport lounge passes and complimentary insurance covers.
The best PlayStation 2 games of all time
Sony’s PlayStation 2 changed the gaming world back in the year 2000, but right now, what are the must-have and must-play games on the platform?
Home office insurance
We talk you through how to get home office insurance.
American Express Velocity Business Card
The American Express Velocity Business Card earns points per $1 spent and offers complimentary travel insurance and two complimentary Virgin Australia lounge passes each year.