2019 Finder Award winners revealed. Get the best for you.
HCF Travel Insurance
Learn more about HCF travel insurance policies to find the right cover for you.
HCF has been offering health insurance since 1932. It has since expanded its offering to include life, pet and travel insurance and has partnered with Allianz Global Assistance to underwrite its travel insurance policies. HCF health-fund members can enjoy exclusive discounts on both international and domestic travel insurance policies. Read more to find out if HCF travel insurance is the right policy for you.
Compare your travel insurance quotes
Made a search before? Retrieve your search results
Type or Select your destination(s)
What policies does HCF travel insurance offer?
HCF offers a number of policies for singles, couples and families. You can choose from the following:
- Comprehensive plan (international). Get peace of mind knowing you're covered for unlimited emergency assistance, medical/hospital expenses and cancellations. HCF's comprehensive plan is for the traveller who wants to take comfort in knowing they have chosen the highest policy an insurer can offer. It also provides cover for your travel documents, theft of cash and alternative transport expenses unlike the Essentials plan. Additional options are available on comprehensive plans only, so take this into consideration if you're cruising, skiing or doing other similar activities.
- Essentials plan (international). This is the budget friendly option for those traveling abroad. The Essentials plan covers you for the main benefits such as unlimited emergency assistance and medical/hospital expenses. You want to be mindful that benefits such as cover for accidental death, permanent disability and loss of income are not included. Consider if these benefits are important to you. If they're not, the Essentials plan could be suitable and save you a few dollars.
- Domestic plan. This plan provides cover while travelling within Australia. HCF's Domestic plan offers unlimited cancellation cover and generous limits for accidental death, additional expenses and luggage.
- Multi-trip plan. HCF's Multi-trip plan allows you to travel as many times as you like for 12 months from the date of purchase. You have the choice of selecting a maximum journey period of 15 days, 30 days or 45 days. This policy is only available for those under 75 years of age. You can add accompanying partners and dependents to the policy for an additional premium.
- Non-medical plan. This option is only available to those with a pre-existing medical condition that cannot be covered on a normal policy.
What do HCF travel insurance policies cover?
Make sure you understand the benefits of your policy before making a decision. Here are a few of the features but check the PDS for the full list:
- Unlimited emergency assistance, medical and hospital expenses. Available on all policies except the Domestic and Non-medical plans. This can include emergency evacuation and repatriation if needed.
- Unlimited cancellation. Available on all policies except the Essentials plan. Having to cancel your travel plans is bad enough, get cover so you don't have to bear the cost as well.
- Cover for your belongings, cash and travel documents. If your belongings are stolen, damaged or permanently lost, HCF can cover you for the repair or original cost depending on your situation.
- Travel delay expenses. This is available on all policies and kicks in if your journey is delayed for at least six hours. HCF can cover you for additional meals and accommodation costs.
- Additional options. HCF offers other packs or increased limits for special activities. See "What options can I add on?" for more information.
What options can I add on?
Additional options are available on the Comprehensive, Domestic and Multi-trip plans for a bit more money. Take this into consideration when selecting your travel insurance as your standalone policy will not include the following:
- Snow pack. Feel secure by having cover for emergency rescue and bad weather closures in case something goes wrong on the slopes. This pack is only available to those under 75 years of age. A non-removable excess of $500 will be added to your standard excess if you make a claim related to medical/hospital expenses or cancellation.
- Cruise pack. This includes medical cover while cruising and other benefits such as cover for pre-paid shore excursion cancellation.
- Adventure pack. Like to walk on the wild side? Extending on from the automatically included activities, the adventure pack covers you for other high-risk activities such as expeditions to/on the Kokoda Trail, use of motorcycles that are over 250cc and deep sea fishing. This pack is only available to those under 75 years of age. A non-removable excess of $500 will be added to your standard excess if you make a claim related to medical/hospital expenses or cancellation.
- Increased item limits. As an example, HCF covers mobile phones for up to $1000. If your phone is worth more than that, you might want to consider extra cover for the remaining amount in case your phone is lost, stolen or damaged while travelling.
- Increased rental vehicles excess cover. On all single plans, rental car excess cover is automatically included but limited to $3000. HCF gives you the option to increase this limit if you feel the need.
- Increase of standard excess. To make your policy cheaper, you could consider increasing your standard excess from $200 to $500.
What's not covered?
There are certain cases in which your plan will not pay out. These include if you do any of the following:
- Travel against medical advice
- Intentionally place yourself in a high-risk situation
- Get involved with illegal acts
- Partake in elective surgery during your journey
- Suffer losses that are recoverable under some other scheme
- Get involved in professional sports
How do I make a claim with HCF travel insurance?
HCF has recently made changes to how it processes claims. See information on how to make a claim if you bought your policy on or before 19 January 2019 and prior to 19 January 2019.
- On or after 19 January 2019
- Phone (while overseas): +61 7 3305 7499 (reverse charges are available)
- Phone (within Australia): 1800 010 075
- Online: Go to www.travelclaims.com.au to submit your claim online anytime
- Prior to 19 January 2019
- Phone (while overseas): contact QBE on +61 3 8523 2777
- Phone (within Australia): contact QBE on 1300 555 017
- Online: Download a claim form from the HCF website and lodge with supporting documentation
- Post: Download a claim form, complete and send with supporting documentation to PO Box 12090, Melbourne, VIC 8006
Questions about HCF travel insurance? Here are some answers
You might like these...
Ask an Expert