Go Insurance Travel Insurance Review from finder.com.au
With Go Insurance you get affordable travel insurance with the cover you actually need. Find out what's covered and receive a quote today.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Important:Travel insurance rules continue to change as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. We’re working hard to keep up and make sure our guides are up to date, however some information may not be accurate during the pandemic. It’s even more important to double-check all details that matter to you before taking out cover. Please know that some policies may not be available through Finder at this time. Here are some helpful tips:
- If you're buying a policy today, it's unlikely that you'll be covered for border closures
- If your travel plans go against government advice, your policy will most likely be voided and you won't be covered
This is why investing in travel insurance is such a wise idea. Travel insurance offers protection against a wide range of risks that can conspire to ruin your holiday. Not only is this very beneficial to your finances, it can also save you a lot of time and take the heartache out of what can often be a very stressful time.
Compare your travel insurance quotes
Made a search before? Retrieve your search results
Type or Select your destination(s)
Go Insurance offers competitive insurance cover to Australian travellers. Offering customers the flexibility to tailor a policy to suit their needs, Go Insurance is backed by Lloyd’s, one of the world’s oldest and most respected insurers.
Who is Go Insurance?
The company directors behind Go Insurance were inspired to create their own travel insurance product after growing tired of watching travellers deal with limited and ineffective policies and battle with outsourced claim departments. The directors have a combined experience of more than 50 years in the travel insurance industry, so they have a good understanding of what Australian travellers need and want from their travel insurance.
They set about creating Go Insurance, a company that lets customers create a tailored travel insurance policy that suits their specific needs. As mentioned, Go Insurance is underwritten by Lloyd’s, one of the world’s leading insurers.
Go Insurance offers two types of insurance policies: Go Basic and Go Plus. As the name suggests, Go Basic is a no-frills policy option that aims to offer essential cover, such as flexibility and emergency medical assistance, to budget-conscious travellers.
Go Plus offers a more comprehensive form of cover, providing a premium level of protection to those who need it. This policy offers coverage for the same features as the Go Basic policy, but with increased limits on a range of benefits to provide a higher level of cover.
Why take out Go Insurance Travel Insurance?
The main benefit of taking out coverage with Go Insurance is that it lets you build a policy that suits you. Rather than having to pay extra for some cover options you need and plenty you don’t, this company lets you pick and choose which benefits and features you want on your policy. As a result, you get the cover you need and some extra money to go towards your big travel adventure.
Go Insurance also offers a range of policies to suit a variety of travellers. Go Basic is the essential cover option for those on a budget, providing an adequate level of cover to make sure unexpected events don’t ruin your holiday. But if you require a premium level of protection, Go Plus offers higher limits on a range of features for those who need it. Cover under both policies is comprehensive, covering everything from medical expenses to overseas car hire excess, while you can also take out single-trip or multi-trip cover.
Unlike many other insurers, Go Insurance is one of the few companies that prides itself on the fact that it does not outsource its claims handling. This means you get to deal with the same company and the same people right throughout the insurance process, guaranteeing the peace of mind that comes with knowing you will be looked after if you make a claim.
What can Go Insurance Travel Insurance cover me for?
- Cancellation/curtailment. If you are forced to cancel or cut short your trip due to unexpected circumstances, for example the death of a family member or the loss of your job, you will be provided with cover for any non-refundable costs. The cost of resuming your trip after having to return home following the death or serious illness of a loved one is also covered.
- Medical. If you sustain a serious illness, injury or pass away while overseas, emergency medical expenses cover is included in your policy. You’ll receive compensation for each day you are confined to a hospital while overseas, while emergency dental treatment is also covered. If you die or suffer a total and permanent disability, a benefit of up to $25,000 will be paid.
- Property. If your luggage or personal belongings are lost, damaged or stolen on your trip, Go Insurance will provide the necessary coverage for their repair or replacement. You’ll receive funds to purchase emergency clothing and toiletries if your luggage is misdirected or lost, while there is also cover for the theft of money and to order a replacement passport or visa.
- Disruption. Under this benefit section, you are covered for the costs you incur when transportation that you have pre-booked is delayed or hijacked. In such circumstances, additional costs you incur in order to make it to a pre-arranged special event (for example a wedding or reunion) on time are also covered. Other policy features include cover for accommodation and transportation costs due to natural disaster, civil unrest, medical epidemic or the financial default of a travel service provider.
- Liability. Go Insurance policies offer up to $5 million of personal liability cover if you are legally liable for any accidental injury or death of a third party, or if you are legally liable for the accidental loss or damage of a third party’s property.
- Legal. If you suffer an injury or die during your trip and seek compensation, Go Insurance will cover the legal costs involved. This section also provides cover for your overseas rental car insurance excess (or the cost of car repair if this is cheaper), as well as the expense of returning a rental car if you are deemed medically unfit to do so.
Go Insurance Additional Cover Options
- Snow. If you’re planning on going skiing, you might want to consider adding this option to your Go Insurance policy. It provides cover for the loss, theft or breakage of your snow sports equipment, or any equipment that you have hired. The cost of hiring replacement equipment for the duration of your stay is also covered, as is the cost of ski passes or lesson vouchers if they are lost or stolen. You’ll even be compensated if certain conditions (avalanche, lack of snow, piste closure) mean you are unable to ski and you need to make alternative travel and accommodation arrangements.
- Golf. The golf option provides coverage for the loss, theft or damage to your own golf equipment or hired equipment. Go Insurance will also cover the cost of hiring replacement equipment, while you will be reimbursed for unused green fees if you have to cancel or curtail your trip.
- Water. If you can’t take advantage of a pre-booked boat trip due to injury, illness or poor weather, your Go Insurance policy will reimburse you. The loss, theft and damage of water sports equipment is covered, as is the cost of hiring replacement equipment. You’ll also be reimbursed for things like water sports passes and tuition fees that are unused due to factors like cancellation, loss, theft or poor weather.
- Business. This option is designed for business travellers and covers the loss, theft and damage of any business equipment, along with the hire of any replacement equipment. Cover is also available to help you re-create important business documents that have been lost or stolen, while the theft of business money will also be reimbursed. There’s even cover for a replacement employee if required.
How Much Does Go Insurance Travel Insurance Cost?
How much your travel insurance will cost from Go Insurance will depend on a range of factors, not the least of which is the specific cover options you select. Your premium will include all applicable government charges, but it can also be affected by things like;
- The areas you are travelling to
- Whether you take out group cover
- How old you are
- What experiences and activities you are planning to participate in during your trip
- Any pre-existing medical conditions that you have
GoInsurance Policy Excess
Your excess will also influence how much you have to pay for premiums. There is a standard excess of $200 which does not apply to all policy sections, but it is possible to choose to reduce or increase the standard excess — this will of course affect your premium amount.
Making a Go Insurance Claim
If you suffer a medical emergency while overseas, Go Insurance’s emergency medical assistance team is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to give you the help you need. If you are admitted to a hospital while abroad or your medical expenses are likely to be greater than $2,000 Australian Dollars, you need to contact Go Insurance as soon as possible.
The emergency assistance team can negotiate with the hospital’s billing department to guarantee payment of your expenses, while there are also trained medical professionals on hand to consult with your treating doctor. The team can also make arrangements for your medical repatriation to Australia, and liaise with your family to keep them updated as to your progress. The emergency assistance team can be contacted by phoning +61 07 3481 9880 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
If you need to make a general claim, you need to notify Go Insurance within 30 days of your policy expiry or return to Australia — whichever occurs earlier. You can then download and complete a claim form from the Go Insurance website, and you may be required to submit supporting documentation with your claim. This may include photographs, receipts, police reports and the like, and it’s essential to send all the required information to ensure your claim is processed as quickly as possible.
Your claim form and supporting documents can be emailed to email@example.com or posted to
- Go Insurance – Travel Department
- PO Box 5964
- Brendale Queensland 4500
Go Insurance will email you once your claim has been received, and your claim will be assessed within 10 business days. Claims can be paid either by cheque or by a direct deposit into your nominated Australian bank account.
More guides on Finder
Go Travel Insurance discount codes and promotions
Looking for discounts on travel insurance? Find Go Travel Insurance coupons and get affordable cover on your next trip. Read through the step by step guide online.
Ask an Expert