World Nomads travel insurance
World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance to suit a wide range of travellers. Learn more about the different policies on offer and see if one is right for you.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Important:Travel insurance rules continue to change as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. We’re working hard to keep up and make sure our guides are up to date, however some information may not be accurate during the pandemic. It’s even more important to double-check all details that matter to you before taking out cover. Please know that some policies may not be available through Finder at this time. Here are some helpful tips:
- If you're buying a policy today, it's unlikely that you'll be covered for border closures
- If your travel plans go against government advice, your policy will most likely be voided and you won't be covered
What policies does World Nomads offer?
World Nomads offers a choice of two travel insurance plans:
How do the policies compare?
Check out the table below for a rundown of the benefits offered by each World Nomads travel insurance plan.
|Benefit||Standard Plan||Explorer Plan|
|Overseas emergency medical expenses|
|Overseas emergency dental treatment|
|Out-of-pocket expenses in hospital|
|Emergency medical transport and repatriation|
|Local funeral expenses or repatriation of remains|
|Trip interruption expenses|
|Compassionate emergency visit|
|Resumption of trip|
|Kidnap or hijack (daily benefit)|
|Baggage and personal items|
|Passports, travel documents and credit cards|
|Specified high-value items (optional upgrade)|
|Rental vehicle insurance excess|
|Return of rental vehicle|
|Adventure, work, study and volunteer|
Table udpated September 2019
What additional options are available?
If you’d like to tailor cover to suit your needs, World Nomads offers the following extra-cost options:
- Specified high-value items. If you’re taking high-value personal items with you on your trip, for example, your new laptop, you can upgrade your policy to provide $6,000 cover for those items. However, a $3,000 sub-limit applies per item.
- Adventure, work, study and volunteer cover upgrade. You can also upgrade your policy to cover a wide range of high-risk adventure sports and activities, including abseiling, bobsledding, deep-sea fishing, parachuting, rock climbing, skiing and snowboarding. There are two upgrades available depending on the activities you want to participate in while travelling.
Can I get covered for pre-existing conditions?
WorldNomads.com provides cover for unforeseen medical events, so not all pre-existing medical conditions will be covered under your policy. The definition of pre-existing medical conditions includes a range of medical and dental conditions of which you are aware, which have been investigated and/or treated by a health professional, or any condition for which you have had surgery or for which you take prescribed medicine. As a result, many pre-existing conditions such as cancer, arthritis and depression are excluded from your policy.
But some pre-existing conditions are automatically covered by WorldNomads.com, as long as you haven't been hospitalised (including day surgery) or attended an emergency department in the past 24 months for that condition. These conditions include;
- Some allergies
- Asthma in people under 60 years of age
- Diabetes (terms and conditions apply)
- Gastric reflux
- Epilepsy and migraines
Cover is also available for pregnant women, but terms and conditions do apply. Read the PDS and speak to an insurance adviser to determine how the policy applies to you.
How do I make a claim?
If you need to make a claim on your policy, you’ll need to provide written notice to Cerberus Special Risks, the company that manages World Nomads travel insurance. You can do this online by logging into the World Nomads website and submitting your claim, or by contacting World Nomads and requesting a claim form. Notice must be provided within 30 days of your return home to ensure that your claim is successfully processed.
You will also need to supply documentation and evidence to support your claim, such as:
- Medical receipts and medical reports from treating doctors
- Receipts, valuations and proof of ownership for baggage items
- Police reports
- Original repair quotes
- Evidence of additional costs incurred
How much does World Nomads travel insurance cost?
Your World Nomads travel insurance premium is influenced by a number of factors, including:
- The plan you select
- The number of people covered
- Whether you add any extra-cost options
- Where you are travelling
- The length of your trip
- Whether you have a discount code
For a better idea of how much World Nomads travel insurance will cost you, get a quote and compare it to other brands.
Who can get a policy?
To be eligible for World Nomads travel insurance you must:
- Be an Australian citizen or resident
- Be 69 years or younger when you purchase cover
While many people purchase insurance cover before they travel, World Nomads also allows you to buy cover if you are already overseas.
How do get a policy?
If you’d like to apply for World Nomads travel insurance, click on one of the “Get quote” links on this page. You’ll be taken to the World Nomads website where you can enter your travel dates and destinations, select your level of cover and obtain a quote. You will need to enter:
- Your country of permanent residence
- Where you are going
- When you want cover to start
- How long you want your policy to last
- The type of cover you want (Standard or Explorer Plan, and Single, Couple/Duo or Family cover
Compare your travel insurance quotes
Made a search before? Retrieve your search results
Type or Select your destination(s)
Other questions you may have
More guides on Finder
World Nomads Travel Insurance promo code for April 2021
World Nomads Travel Insurance is specifically designed with the independent world traveller in mind offering various levels of cover.
Ask an Expert