Want straightforward cover at an affordable price? Here are some of the benefits of Aussietravelcover insurance
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Important:Travel insurance rules continue to change as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. We’re working hard to keep up and make sure our guides are up to date, however some information may not be accurate during the pandemic. It’s even more important to double-check all details that matter to you before taking out cover. Please know that some policies may not be available through Finder at this time. Here are some helpful tips:
- If you're buying a policy today, it's unlikely that you'll be covered for border closures
- If your travel plans go against government advice, your policy will most likely be voided and you won't be covered
Aussietravelcover Pty Ltd is an Australian travel insurance company that was established in 1982. This family business is Australian owned and operated, and it's one of the largest providers of travel insurance in the country. Its policies are underwritten by Hollard.
Compare your travel insurance quotes
Made a search before? Retrieve your search results
Type or Select your destination(s)
Aussietravelcover offers the following policies:
- Top Plus International. This is the most comprehensive policy for trips overseas, covering you for medical expenses, cancellation, passport, travel documents and more.
- Basic International. This comes with slightly fewer benefits than Top Plus International, but it still covers you for the important stuff, including medical expenses and cancellations.
- Multi-Journey. This covers you for multiple holidays both overseas and within Australia. For overseas journeys, you get the same cover as the Top Plus International policy and when you travel within Australia, you'll be covered for cancellation, emergency medical assistance, rental vehicle insurance excess and more.
- Domestic. If you only want travel insurance for a trip within Australia, Aussietravelcover also offers a domestic policy.
The benefits offered will vary depending on the policy you choose, but Aussietravelcover features include the following:
- Cancellation fees and lost deposits. This feature ensures you will be reimbursed for any cancellation fees or lost deposits when unforeseen circumstances mean you are unable to travel.
- Overseas emergency medical assistance, medical evacuation or funeral expenses. This feature provides cover for any emergency medical assistance you need while overseas. This includes 24-hour emergency medical assistance, ambulance, medical evacuation, funeral arrangements, messages to family and hospital guarantees.
- Additional expenses. If you are unfit to travel because of an injury or illness, Aussietravelcover will reimburse you for any reasonable additional travel or accommodation expenses you incur.
- Accidental death. If you die because of an injury you sustain during your journey, a death benefit will be paid to your beneficiaries.
- Loss of income. If you become injured on your trip and after 30 days of returning home, you are still unable to work, you will be paid a weekly benefit for loss of income.
- Loss of travel documents, credit cards and traveller's cheques. This feature covers the replacement costs for lost items including passports and credit cards.
- Luggage and personal effects. This cover lets you replace stolen or repair accidentally damaged luggage and other items including prescription glasses, personal effects, personal computers and cameras.
- Luggage and personal effects delay expenses. If a travel carrier delays, misdirects or loses your luggage and personal effects for more than 24 hours, your policy will provide cover for the cost of purchasing essential clothing and toiletry items.
- Personal liability. If you are deemed legally liable for causing bodily injury or property damage to a third party, your policy covers you against any damages or compensation you may be required to pay.
- Rental vehicle excess/Return of rental vehicle. If your rental vehicle is stolen, crashed or damaged, this provides cover for the excess you would otherwise have to pay on your rental car insurance.
How to claim
You'll need to notify Aussietravelcover of your claim as soon as possible by filling out a claim form, which is available online at hollardtravel.com.au/claims. Make sure you submit your claim within 30 days of your return or as soon as possible.
You'll also need to supply any information or supporting documentation your insurer requests in order to process your claim. This could include medical reports, police reports, receipts, valuations or proof of ownership.
If you send in all the documents needed, Aussietravelcover should be in touch with you about your claim outcome within 10 business days. Keep in mind that you might have to pay an excess when you make a claim.
More guides on Finder
Optical inclusion: Extras cover the top reason for taking out health insurance, survey finds
Extras cover is the number one drawcard for Australians who take out private health cover, new research from Finder, Australia’s most visited comparison site, reveals.
Going up: 4.6 million health insurance customers are missing out on potential savings
Millions of Australians could be missing out saving money on their health insurance policy, according to Finder, Australia’s most visited comparison site.
Citi Rewards Card – Bonus Points Offer
Earn flexible rewards points as you spend and enjoy a big 100,000 bonus points offer with the Citi Rewards Credit Card.
Where can I travel from Australia in 2021?
Discover exactly what you need to know about leaving Australia.
HSBC Platinum Credit Card
This card offers 0% interest on balance transfers for 36 months, a discounted $29 first year annual fee and platinum benefits including airport lounge passes and complimentary insurance covers.
Citi Rewards Card – Velocity Points Offer
Enjoy 100,000 bonus Velocity Points, a reduced first-year annual fee and points per $1 spent with the Citi Rewards credit card.
How to find the best car storage facility to keep your set of wheels safe and secure.
American Express Velocity Business Card
The American Express Velocity Business Card earns points per $1 spent and offers complimentary travel insurance and two complimentary Virgin Australia lounge passes each year.
Power outage? Food spoilage insurance
How home insurance can cover you for food spoilage and save you hundreds on wasted food.
What are covered events in home insurance?
All home insurance policies have a common list of covered events. These insured events include things like fire, storm and theft.
Ask an Expert