We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Aussietravelcover Pty Ltd is an Australian travel insurance company that was established in 1982. This family business is Australian owned and operated, and it's one of the largest providers of travel insurance in the country. Its policies are underwritten by Hollard.
Compare your travel insurance quotes
Made a search before? Retrieve your search results
Type or select country destination(s)
Aussietravelcover offers the following policies:
- Top Plus International. This is the most comprehensive policy for trips overseas, covering you for medical expenses, cancellation, passport, travel documents and more.
- Basic International. This comes with slightly fewer benefits than Top Plus International, but it still covers you for the important stuff, including medical expenses and cancellations.
- Multi-Journey. This covers you for multiple holidays both overseas and within Australia. For overseas journeys, you get the same cover as the Top Plus International policy and when you travel within Australia, you'll be covered for cancellation, emergency medical assistance, rental vehicle insurance excess and more.
- Domestic. If you only want travel insurance for a trip within Australia, Aussietravelcover also offers a domestic policy.
The benefits offered will vary depending on the policy you choose, but Aussietravelcover features include the following:
- Cancellation fees and lost deposits. This feature ensures you will be reimbursed for any cancellation fees or lost deposits when unforeseen circumstances mean you are unable to travel.
- Overseas emergency medical assistance, medical evacuation or funeral expenses. This feature provides cover for any emergency medical assistance you need while overseas. This includes 24-hour emergency medical assistance, ambulance, medical evacuation, funeral arrangements, messages to family and hospital guarantees.
- Additional expenses. If you are unfit to travel because of an injury or illness, Aussietravelcover will reimburse you for any reasonable additional travel or accommodation expenses you incur.
- Accidental death. If you die because of an injury you sustain during your journey, a death benefit will be paid to your beneficiaries.
- Loss of income. If you become injured on your trip and after 30 days of returning home, you are still unable to work, you will be paid a weekly benefit for loss of income.
- Loss of travel documents, credit cards and traveller's cheques. This feature covers the replacement costs for lost items including passports and credit cards.
- Luggage and personal effects. This cover lets you replace stolen or repair accidentally damaged luggage and other items including prescription glasses, personal effects, personal computers and cameras.
- Luggage and personal effects delay expenses. If a travel carrier delays, misdirects or loses your luggage and personal effects for more than 24 hours, your policy will provide cover for the cost of purchasing essential clothing and toiletry items.
- Personal liability. If you are deemed legally liable for causing bodily injury or property damage to a third party, your policy covers you against any damages or compensation you may be required to pay.
- Rental vehicle excess/Return of rental vehicle. If your rental vehicle is stolen, crashed or damaged, this provides cover for the excess you would otherwise have to pay on your rental car insurance.
How to claim
You'll need to notify Aussietravelcover of your claim as soon as possible by filling out a claim form, which is available online at hollardtravel.com.au/claims. Make sure you submit your claim within 30 days of your return or as soon as possible.
You'll also need to supply any information or supporting documentation your insurer requests in order to process your claim. This could include medical reports, police reports, receipts, valuations or proof of ownership.
If you send in all the documents needed, Aussietravelcover should be in touch with you about your claim outcome within 10 business days. Keep in mind that you might have to pay an excess when you make a claim.
More guides on Finder
Travel insurance that covers COVID
Here's how travel insurers are responding to the pandemic.
What does travel insurance cover?
Travel insurance can protect policyholders in multiple different ways, including trip cancellations and cover for expensive medical costs if you get sick or hurt on your trip.
Home insurance premiums are soaring. Here’s how I saved $1,415!
Recent floods and extreme weather means home insurance premiums are skyrocketing. It's time to shop for a better deal.
Flying soon? 7 tips from recent travellers for a stress-free trip
5 Aussies give their tips for international travel right now, based on their experience flying to 5 of Australia's favourite destinations.
How to find the right car insurance [PAID]
Tips to save money on your car insurance.
What is a restricted treatment for health insurance?
Restricted services aren't that common in health insurance but they're worth knowing about.
Travel insurance for over 70s
Over 70 and need travel insurance? Compare your options to get affordable cover for what matters.
Japan reopens in June: New travel rules explained + top deals
The doors are being opened to Aussie tourists on 10 June, but before you start planning there are a few rules to be aware of.
Passport delays: If you’re travelling soon, here’s what you can do
The Passport Office advises a 6-week wait to get your updated passport, but it could actually take longer. Here’s how to get your passport sooner.
Ask an Expert