We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Important:Travel insurance rules continue to change as a result of the pandemic. Some information may not be accurate at this time. It’s even more important to double-check all details that matter to you before taking out cover. Please note:
- Some policies may not be available through Finder at this time
- It’s unlikely that your policy will cover expenses from border closures
Aussietravelcover Pty Ltd is an Australian travel insurance company that was established in 1982. This family business is Australian owned and operated, and it's one of the largest providers of travel insurance in the country. Its policies are underwritten by Hollard.
Compare your travel insurance quotes
Made a search before? Retrieve your search results
Type or Select your destination(s)
Aussietravelcover offers the following policies:
- Top Plus International. This is the most comprehensive policy for trips overseas, covering you for medical expenses, cancellation, passport, travel documents and more.
- Basic International. This comes with slightly fewer benefits than Top Plus International, but it still covers you for the important stuff, including medical expenses and cancellations.
- Multi-Journey. This covers you for multiple holidays both overseas and within Australia. For overseas journeys, you get the same cover as the Top Plus International policy and when you travel within Australia, you'll be covered for cancellation, emergency medical assistance, rental vehicle insurance excess and more.
- Domestic. If you only want travel insurance for a trip within Australia, Aussietravelcover also offers a domestic policy.
The benefits offered will vary depending on the policy you choose, but Aussietravelcover features include the following:
- Cancellation fees and lost deposits. This feature ensures you will be reimbursed for any cancellation fees or lost deposits when unforeseen circumstances mean you are unable to travel.
- Overseas emergency medical assistance, medical evacuation or funeral expenses. This feature provides cover for any emergency medical assistance you need while overseas. This includes 24-hour emergency medical assistance, ambulance, medical evacuation, funeral arrangements, messages to family and hospital guarantees.
- Additional expenses. If you are unfit to travel because of an injury or illness, Aussietravelcover will reimburse you for any reasonable additional travel or accommodation expenses you incur.
- Accidental death. If you die because of an injury you sustain during your journey, a death benefit will be paid to your beneficiaries.
- Loss of income. If you become injured on your trip and after 30 days of returning home, you are still unable to work, you will be paid a weekly benefit for loss of income.
- Loss of travel documents, credit cards and traveller's cheques. This feature covers the replacement costs for lost items including passports and credit cards.
- Luggage and personal effects. This cover lets you replace stolen or repair accidentally damaged luggage and other items including prescription glasses, personal effects, personal computers and cameras.
- Luggage and personal effects delay expenses. If a travel carrier delays, misdirects or loses your luggage and personal effects for more than 24 hours, your policy will provide cover for the cost of purchasing essential clothing and toiletry items.
- Personal liability. If you are deemed legally liable for causing bodily injury or property damage to a third party, your policy covers you against any damages or compensation you may be required to pay.
- Rental vehicle excess/Return of rental vehicle. If your rental vehicle is stolen, crashed or damaged, this provides cover for the excess you would otherwise have to pay on your rental car insurance.
How to claim
You'll need to notify Aussietravelcover of your claim as soon as possible by filling out a claim form, which is available online at hollardtravel.com.au/claims. Make sure you submit your claim within 30 days of your return or as soon as possible.
You'll also need to supply any information or supporting documentation your insurer requests in order to process your claim. This could include medical reports, police reports, receipts, valuations or proof of ownership.
If you send in all the documents needed, Aussietravelcover should be in touch with you about your claim outcome within 10 business days. Keep in mind that you might have to pay an excess when you make a claim.
More guides on Finder
New international travel rules: Quarantine, visas, airlines and more [UPDATED]
When do flights resume? What are the quarantine rules? Can I get travel insurance? Expert answers to all your questions.
9 ways to save $2,800+ on your bills
An investment of a few hours could save you thousands of dollars – here's how to bring down your household bills.
Jetstar sale: $169 Fiji flights, limited time only
Snag your cheap flights to Fiji for 2022 now and escape to paradise.
Travel insurance for seniors over 80
Travel insurance is an essential expense for anyone planning a trip overseas, though sometimes it can be difficult to find cover if you are over 80 years of age.
TAL Lifetime Protection Income Protection Review
TAL no longer offers Lifetime Protection Income Protection to new customers - but you can compare further options on Finder.
CommBank Ultimate Awards Credit Card with Qantas Points
With 70,000 bonus Qantas Points on offer and up to 1.2 points per $1 spent, how do the features on this CommBank credit card stack up?
5 cheapest places to fly to when Australia’s international borders reopen
See which overseas destinations have the cheapest flights in January.
Travel Cancellation Insurance
Planning a holiday is a lot of fun, but what happens when something goes wrong and your plans are thrown into disarray? Cancellation travel insurance protects your holiday plans.
Life Insurance for Smokers
Ever wondered how much more life insurance for smokers costs in Australia? Learn about how smoking and vaping can impact your policy.
Should I tell my life insurance company that I smoke?
Find out how smoking will impact what you pay for life insurance, and what you can do to have your premium reviewed.
Ask an Expert