We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
NRMA has a long history of helping people and is one of the most trusted and experienced names in the Australian car insurance industry. They also do travel insurance, with cover for domestic and international travel.
Get a quote in 10 seconds from travel insurance brands
Made a search before? Retrieve your search results
Type or select country destination(s)
What are my travel insurance options with NRMA?
Here are your travel insurance options with NRMA:
- Domestic Comprehensive Plan. Even if you're only travelling within Australia, you may still find yourself in need of assistance. Domestic Comprehensive insurance offers you a choice of cover for cancellations, rental car insurance excess, luggage and personal effects.
- Domestic Cancellation Plan. You can also get cover for cancellations only. You can choose how much you want to be covered for and it lets you get your money back if you have to cancel your trip due to reasons beyond your control.
- International Essentials Plan. Heading overseas is a costly endeavor, however that doesn't mean cover should be expensive too. International Essentials insurance takes care of cancellations, overseas medical, hospital and dental expenses, luggage and personal effects.
- International Comprehensive Plan. If any trouble strikes on your adventure, you can rest easy with NRMA's International Comprehensive, covering you for everything from dental and medical emergencies, cancellations and lost luggage, personal effects and incidentals.
- Multi-Trip Travel Plans. Planning more than one trip? If you're on the road throughout the year, Multi-Trip Insurance may be perfect for you. Available with the International and Domestic Comprehensive plans, Multi-Trip covers any trip taken within a twelve-month period.
How do NRMA policies compare?
|Domestic Comprehensive Plan (Single or Annual Multi-Trip)||Domestic Cancellation Plan||International Essentials Plan||International Comprehensive Plan (Single or Annual Multi-Trip)|
|Overseas medical and dental expenses|
|Amendment or cancellation costs|
|Luggage and personal effects|
|Delayed luggage allowance|
|Rental car insurance excess|
|Resumption of journey|
|Loss of income|
Table updated February 2021
What won't be covered by my policy?
General exclusions include:
- Travelling when you know you are unfit or against medical advice
- Failing to maintain a course of treatment while travelling
- Death, illness or injury from an existing condition (unless covered by your policy)
- Birth of a child or any pregnancy-related condition
- Treatment at a spa, nursing home or any rehabilitation centre unless agreed by QBE
- Excess medical charges
- Any consequential loss or loss of enjoyment
- A loss caused by or in connection with a criminal or dishonest act
- Any loss caused by government intervention or regulation
- Failure to take precautions after a public warning of strike, riot, civil commotion or natural disaster
- Operating a rental vehicle in an illegal or dangerous manner
- Credit card conversion fees and other bank charges
What else can I add on to my cover?
If you need extra cover, you can increase your policy cover with these additional options:
- Cancel for any reason cover. This is available with the International Comprehensive, International Essentials and Domestic Comprehensive Plan. It lets you cancel for reasons not usually covered by the policy, including if you haven't had your leave approved at work, but want to book your holiday now, a friend or relative is in a nursing home or you've had an unexpected household expense which means you can no longer afford to travel.
- Luggage item limits. NRMA prescribes maximum limits for the value of individual items like cameras, laptops, tablets, smartphones, and golf clubs. You have the option to increase these limits individually.
- Premium luggage cover. If you've bought luggage items within the last 2 years and you provide a receipt, NRMA will not deduct depreciation from those items with this add-on.
- Increase rental car insurance excess cover. You can increase the level of rental car insurance excess cover by $1,000.
- Motorcycle/moped riding. If you plan to ride a moped or a motorcycle with engine capacity of 200cc or less you can pay an additional premium and get suitable cover.
- Snow skiing, snowboarding and snowmobiling. Pay an additional premium and you can get cover for skiing and snowboarding on-piste.
More about NRMA
TThe Australian National Roads Association, which went on to become National Roads and Motorists' Association (NRMA), began operations in 1920. The original aim of the organisation was to achieve reasonable and just legislation for funding and improving roads. NRMA Insurance traces its origins back to 1925, and it reestablished itself as a private mutual company in 1926. It became a sub-agency of Lloyd's of London, and started offering household insurance alongside motor insurance cover.
NRMA Motoring and Services and NRMA Insurance are now two completely independent bodies, with both agreeing to use the same name and brand.
The formation of IAG came about as a result of the demutualisation of NRMA Insurance in 2000, and NRMA Insurance Group Limited rechristened itself as Insurance Australia Group Limited in January 2002.
NRMA Insurance provides a range of insurance covers to its customers in New South Wales, Queensland, Australian Capital Territory and Tasmania.
If you're considering turning to NRMA for travel cover, you can look forward to the following benefits:
- Value for money
- 24-hour emergency assistance
- Global presence
- Straightforward claims process
- Wide range of plans
More guides on Finder
Vanuatu opens borders: 6 tips to save on a holiday
Vanuatu can be more exclusive (and expensive) than other nearby island destinations – here's how to make the most of a holiday without breaking the bank.
Travel insurance that covers COVID
Here's how travel insurers are responding to the pandemic.
Toyota Prado Car Insurance
Compare policies side-by-side with our complete guide to Toyota Prado insurance.
What does travel insurance cover?
Travel insurance can protect policyholders in multiple different ways, including trip cancellations and cover for expensive medical costs if you get sick or hurt on your trip.
Flying soon? 7 tips from recent travellers for a stress-free trip
Five Aussies give their tips for international travel right now based on their experience flying to 5 of Australia's favourite destinations.
How to save money on groceries
Use these 5 easy tips to cut down on your grocery bill and save more money each week.
Flying soon? 7 tips from recent travellers for a stress-free trip
5 Aussies give their tips for international travel right now, based on their experience flying to 5 of Australia's favourite destinations.
How to get (almost) a year of free streaming
If you try out all the free trials streaming services offer, you can stream for nearly 12 months without paying a cent.
Want nearly a year of free streaming? Here’s how
Follow the free trials for a free ride - here's how to get 12 months of streaming without spending a cent.
Click Frenzy™ Travel 2022: All the best deals
Here's a small look into the hundreds of deals dropping at 7pm on 15 June 2022.
Ask an Expert