2019 Finder Award winners revealed. Get the best for you.
NRMA Travel Insurance
Travel securely with one of Australia’s most trusted brands.
NRMA has a long history of helping people and is one of the most trusted and experienced names in the Australian car insurance industry. With a long history of helping customers through their troubles, NRMA offers insurance for travellers to provide peace of mind no matter where the road takes you.
With cover for domestic and international travel, you can choose cover for cancellations and delays, medical and dental care, personal liability and loss of luggage, travel documents and personal belongings. We’ve examined the policies and broken them down for you here.
Get a quote in 10 seconds from travel insurance brands
Made a search before? Retrieve your search results
Type or Select your destination(s)
What are my travel insurance options with NRMA?
- Domestic Comprehensive Plan. Even if you’re only travelling within Australia, you may still find yourself in need of assistance. Domestic Comprehensive insurance offers you a choice of cover for cancellations, rental car insurance excess, luggage and personal effects.
- International Essentials Plan. Heading overseas is a costly endeavor, however that doesn’t mean cover should be expensive too. International Essentials insurance takes care of cancellations, overseas medical, hospital and dental expenses, luggage and personal effects.
- International Comprehensive Plan. If any trouble strikes on your adventure, you can rest easy with NRMA’s International Comprehensive, covering you for everything from dental and medical emergencies, cancellations and lost luggage, personal effects and incidentals.
- Multi-Trip Travel Plans. Planning more than one trip? If you’re on the road throughout the year, Multi-Trip Insurance may be perfect for you. Available with the International and Domestic Comprehensive plans, Multi-Trip covers any trip taken within a twelve-month period.
Why should I consider this brand?
NRMA offers a number of benefits with its insurance policies. Offering a 24-hour emergency assistance, cover for certain pre-existing conditions and a straightforward claims process, NRMA also offer a prepaid Global SIM card with International Travel Insurance, which will give you access to cheap calls, SMS and data while overseas.
How do NRMA policies compare?
|Domestic Comprehensive Plan||International Essentials Plan||International Comprehensive Plan|
|Overseas medical and dental expenses|
|Amendment or cancellation costs|
|Luggage and personal effects|
|Delayed luggage allowance|
|Rental car insurance excess|
|Resumption of journey|
|Loss of income|
Table updated September 2019
What won't be covered by my policy?
General exclusions include:
- Travelling when you know you are unfit or against medical advice
- Failing to maintain a course of treatment while travelling
- Death, illness or injury from an existing condition (unless covered by your policy)
- Birth of a child or any pregnancy-related condition
- Treatment at a spa, nursing home or any rehabilitation centre unless agreed by QBE
- Excess medical charges
- Any consequential loss or loss of enjoyment
- A loss caused by or in connection with a criminal or dishonest act
- Any loss caused by government intervention or regulation
- Failure to take precautions after a public warning of strike, riot, civil commotion or natural disaster
- Operating a rental vehicle in an illegal or dangerous manner
- Credit card conversion fees and other bank charges
What else can I add on to my cover?
If you need extra cover, you can increase your policy cover with these additional options:
- Excess options. You have the option of choosing the excess you pay: the lower the excess, the higher the premium. Some policies also offer $0 excess.
- Luggage item limits. NRMA prescribes maximum limits for value of individual items like cameras, laptops, tablets, smartphones, and golf clubs. You have the option to increase these limits individually, and you can also choose to increase the value of your electronic items collectively.
- Increase rental car insurance excess cover. You can increase the level of rental car insurance excess cover by up to $4,000 by paying a higher premium.
- Motorcycle/moped riding. If you plan to ride a moped or a motorcycle with engine capacity of 200cc or less you can pay an additional premium and get suitable cover.
Other options include getting cover for snow skiing, snowboarding, and snowmobiling, as well as for extending your journey.
Got questions? We have answers
What about discounts for NRMA members?
Are you an NRMA member? You may be eligible for a discount when you get travel insurance.
More about NRMA
NRMA Insurance operates under the Insurance Australia Group (IAG) umbrella. IAG is an Australian insurance and financial services provider.
The Australian National Roads Association, which went on to become National Roads and Motorists' Association (NRMA), began operations in 1920. The original aim of the organisation was to achieve reasonable and just legislation for funding and improving roads. NRMA Insurance traces its origins back to 1925, and it reestablished itself as a private mutual company in 1926. It became a sub-agency of Lloyd's of London, and started offering household insurance alongside motor insurance cover.
NRMA Motoring and Services and NRMA Insurance are now two completely independent bodies, with both agreeing to use the same name and brand.
The formation of IAG came about as a result of the demutualisation of NRMA Insurance in 2000, and NRMA Insurance Group Limited rechristened itself as Insurance Australia Group Limited in January 2002.
NRMA Insurance provides a range of insurance covers to its customers in New South Wales, Queensland, Australian Capital Territory and Tasmania.
If you’re considering turning to NRMA for travel cover, you can look forward to the following benefits:
- Value for money
- Backed by Allianz
- 24-hour emergency assistance
- Global presence
- Straightforward claims process
- Wide range of plans
You might like these...
Ask an Expert