Thinking about taking out travel insurance with NRMA? NRMA Travel Insurance policy review and comparison
NRMA is one of the most trusted and experienced names in the Australian car insurance industry. The NRMA has parlayed these years of experience and is now offering travel insurance.
NRMA Travel Insurance can help you deal with unexpected expenses owing to medical care, trip cancellations and postponements, legal aid, personal liability, as well as loss of money, personal belongings and travel documents.
What are the different travel insurance options available from NRMA?
- International Essentials Plan. This plan includes $10 million for emergency hospital and medical expenses, personal liability cover of up to $1 million and round-the-clock emergency medical assistance, which includes evacuation and returning to Australia.
- Domestic Comprehensive Plan. This plan is ideal for people who limit their travel to within Australia. It covers cancellation charges, lost and damaged luggage, additional travel expenses and rental vehicle excess up to $3,000.
- International Comprehensive Plan. This is the highest level of travel cover you can get through NRMA Insurance. It gives you unlimited cover for overseas hospital, medical, cancellation, and repatriation expenses. If you can’t travel owing to ill health this plan covers all additional travel costs, and it comes with rental vehicle excess of up to $4,000. This plan offers personal liability cover of up to $2.5 million.
- Domestic Cancellation Plan. Provides basic cover for trips in Australia. Covers amendment or cancellation costs and additional expenses up to a limit chosen by you.
NRMA policy comparison
|Overseas medical and dental expenses||Unlimited||$10,000,000||N/A||N/A|
|Additional expenses||Unlimited||$10,000,000||$10,000||Cover chosen.You can choose$200, $400,$600, $800or $1,500|
|Amendment or cancellation costs||$3,000, $6,000or Unlimited||$3,000, $6,000or Unlimited||N/A||Cover chosen.You can choose$200, $400,$600, $800or $1,500|
|Luggage and personal effects||$12,000||$3,000||$8,000||N/A|
|Delayed luggage allowance||$1,000||$200||N/A||N/A|
|Rental Car insurance excess||$4,000||NIL||$3,000||N/A|
|Resumption of Journey||$3,000||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Loss of income||$9,000||N/A||$2,000||N/A|
Are there any additional options available?
NRMA Insurance gives you the ability to get additional cover through a number of policy options and add-ons:
- Excess options. You have the option of choosing the excess you pay: the lower the excess, the higher the premium. Domestic cover, domestic cancellation cover, and rental car excess cover offer $0 excess.
- Luggage item limits. NRMA prescribes maximum limits for value of individual items like cameras, laptops, tablets, smartphones, and golf clubs. You have the option to increase these limits individually, and you can also choose to increase the value of your electronic items collectively.
- Increase rental car insurance excess cover. You can increase the level of rental car insurance excess cover by up to $4,000 by paying a higher premium.
- Motorcycle/moped riding. If you plan to ride a moped or a motorcycle with engine capacity of 200cc or less you can pay an additional premium and get suitable cover.
Other options include getting cover for snow skiing, snowboarding, and snowmobiling, as well as for extending your journey.
Can I get cover with pre-existing medical conditions?
NRMA travel insurance provides automatic cover for certain existing medical conditions, but you may have to apply for existing medical condition cover in several scenarios.
NRMA classifies existing medical conditions in three basic categories: automatically covered conditions, conditions it does not cover, and conditions that require assessment.
Existing medical conditions that it automatically covers include the following:
- Coeliac disease
- Diabetes/glucose intolerance
- Ear grommets
- Gastric reflux
- Hiatus hernia
- Hip/knee replacement
- Hypercholesterolaemia (high cholesterol)
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Peptic/gastric ulcer
- Underactive/overactive thyroid
Conditions not covered include:
- Conditions related to back or neck
- Conditions related to drug or alcohol addiction
- Conditions for which you’re travelling to get medical advice or treatment
- Any condition for which you are currently awaiting investigation, treatment, surgery, or any other procedure
- Any condition if you’re travelling against the advice of a medical practitioner
If you suffer from an existing condition not found on the above given lists, you will have to complete an online medical assessment.
How do I make a claim with NRMA Travel Insurance?
The online claims system prompts you to upload receipts and other relevant documents, and guides you through the process step-by-step.
Download a claim form from the NRMA Insurance website, and you can send the completed form via post. Make sure to include supporting documents such as receipts. You’ll need to send the original documents across, so you might want to get a set photocopied for yourself.
You can initiate the process over the phone. NRMA Insurance has customer service numbers in Australia, New Zealand, UK, USA, and Canada, and from other countries you can call and speak to an NRMA Insurance representative in Australia.
Once NRMA Insurance receives your claim, you can expect a response within 10 working days.
Who is NRMA Travel Insurance?
NRMA Insurance operates under the Insurance Australia Group (IAG) umbrella. IAG is an Australian insurance and financial services provider.
The Australian National Roads Association, which went on to become National Roads and Motorists' Association (NRMA), began operations in 1920. The original aim of the organisation was to achieve reasonable and just legislation for funding and improving roads. NRMA Insurance traces its origins back to 1925, and it reestablished itself as a private mutual company in 1926. It became a sub-agency of Lloyd's of London, and started offering household insurance alongside motor insurance cover.
NRMA Motoring and Services and NRMA Insurance are now two completely independent bodies, with both agreeing to use the same name and brand.
The formation of IAG came about as a result of the demutualisation of NRMA Insurance in 2000, and NRMA Insurance Group Limited rechristened itself as Insurance Australia Group Limited in January 2002.
NRMA Insurance provides a range of insurance covers to its customers in New South Wales, Queensland, Australian Capital Territory and Tasmania.
If you’re considering turning to NRMA for travel cover, you can look forward to the following benefits:
- Value for money
- Backed by Allianz
- 24-hour emergency assistance
- Global presence
- Straightforward claims process
- Wide range of plans
Apply for travel insurance with NRMA
Are you ready to compare NRMA Travel Insurance policies to the rest of the market? Use our online comparison tool to compare dozens of policies to make sure you’re getting a good deal.