NRMA Travel Insurance
Travel securely with one of Australia’s most trusted brands.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder.
Important:Travel insurance rules continue to change as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. We’re working hard to keep up and make sure our guides are up to date, however some information may not be accurate during the pandemic. It’s even more important to double-check all details that matter to you before taking out cover. Please know that some policies may not be available through Finder at this time. Here are some helpful tips:
- If you're buying a policy today, it's unlikely that you'll be covered for any coronavirus-related claims
- If your travel plans go against government advice, your policy will most likely be voided and you won't be covered
With cover for domestic and international travel, you can choose cover for cancellations and delays, medical and dental care, personal liability and loss of luggage, travel documents and personal belongings. We’ve examined the policies and broken them down for you here.
Get a quote in 10 seconds from travel insurance brands
Made a search before? Retrieve your search results
Type or Select your destination(s)
What are my travel insurance options with NRMA?
- Domestic Comprehensive Plan. Even if you’re only travelling within Australia, you may still find yourself in need of assistance. Domestic Comprehensive insurance offers you a choice of cover for cancellations, rental car insurance excess, luggage and personal effects.
- International Essentials Plan. Heading overseas is a costly endeavor, however that doesn’t mean cover should be expensive too. International Essentials insurance takes care of cancellations, overseas medical, hospital and dental expenses, luggage and personal effects.
- International Comprehensive Plan. If any trouble strikes on your adventure, you can rest easy with NRMA’s International Comprehensive, covering you for everything from dental and medical emergencies, cancellations and lost luggage, personal effects and incidentals.
- Multi-Trip Travel Plans. Planning more than one trip? If you’re on the road throughout the year, Multi-Trip Insurance may be perfect for you. Available with the International and Domestic Comprehensive plans, Multi-Trip covers any trip taken within a twelve-month period.
Why should I consider this brand?
NRMA offers a number of benefits with its insurance policies. Offering a 24-hour emergency assistance, cover for certain pre-existing conditions and a straightforward claims process, NRMA also offer a prepaid Global SIM card with International Travel Insurance, which will give you access to cheap calls, SMS and data while overseas.
How do NRMA policies compare?
|Domestic Comprehensive Plan||International Essentials Plan||International Comprehensive Plan|
|Overseas medical and dental expenses|
|Amendment or cancellation costs|
|Luggage and personal effects|
|Delayed luggage allowance|
|Rental car insurance excess|
|Resumption of journey|
|Loss of income|
Table updated October 2020
What won't be covered by my policy?
General exclusions include:
- Travelling when you know you are unfit or against medical advice
- Failing to maintain a course of treatment while travelling
- Death, illness or injury from an existing condition (unless covered by your policy)
- Birth of a child or any pregnancy-related condition
- Treatment at a spa, nursing home or any rehabilitation centre unless agreed by QBE
- Excess medical charges
- Any consequential loss or loss of enjoyment
- A loss caused by or in connection with a criminal or dishonest act
- Any loss caused by government intervention or regulation
- Failure to take precautions after a public warning of strike, riot, civil commotion or natural disaster
- Operating a rental vehicle in an illegal or dangerous manner
- Credit card conversion fees and other bank charges
What else can I add on to my cover?
If you need extra cover, you can increase your policy cover with these additional options:
- Excess options. You have the option of choosing the excess you pay: the lower the excess, the higher the premium. Some policies also offer $0 excess.
- Luggage item limits. NRMA prescribes maximum limits for value of individual items like cameras, laptops, tablets, smartphones, and golf clubs. You have the option to increase these limits individually, and you can also choose to increase the value of your electronic items collectively.
- Increase rental car insurance excess cover. You can increase the level of rental car insurance excess cover by up to $4,000 by paying a higher premium.
- Motorcycle/moped riding. If you plan to ride a moped or a motorcycle with engine capacity of 200cc or less you can pay an additional premium and get suitable cover.
Other options include getting cover for snow skiing, snowboarding, and snowmobiling, as well as for extending your journey.
Got questions? We have answers
What about discounts for NRMA members?
Are you an NRMA member? You may be eligible for a discount when you get travel insurance.
More about NRMA
NRMA Insurance operates under the Insurance Australia Group (IAG) umbrella. IAG is an Australian insurance and financial services provider.
The Australian National Roads Association, which went on to become National Roads and Motorists' Association (NRMA), began operations in 1920. The original aim of the organisation was to achieve reasonable and just legislation for funding and improving roads. NRMA Insurance traces its origins back to 1925, and it reestablished itself as a private mutual company in 1926. It became a sub-agency of Lloyd's of London, and started offering household insurance alongside motor insurance cover.
NRMA Motoring and Services and NRMA Insurance are now two completely independent bodies, with both agreeing to use the same name and brand.
The formation of IAG came about as a result of the demutualisation of NRMA Insurance in 2000, and NRMA Insurance Group Limited rechristened itself as Insurance Australia Group Limited in January 2002.
NRMA Insurance provides a range of insurance covers to its customers in New South Wales, Queensland, Australian Capital Territory and Tasmania.
If you’re considering turning to NRMA for travel cover, you can look forward to the following benefits:
- Value for money
- Backed by Allianz
- 24-hour emergency assistance
- Global presence
- Straightforward claims process
- Wide range of plans
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best online deals in Australia, hand-picked by Finder's shopping experts.
Best travel backpacks in Australia
If you’re looking for the perfect travel backpack, we help you find the best luggage for your next trip.
Best backpacks in Australia
We read hundreds of customer reviews and compared key product features to find the best backpacks you can buy in Australia.
Citi Rewards Card – Exclusive Offer
Take advantage of a 0% balance transfer offer for 30 months and a discounted annual fee for the first year with this exclusive Citi Rewards credit card offer.
What is a credit score?
Find out what a credit score is and what it can do for you.
Land clearing services
Read about the key points of land clearing services, including what to consider when fixing your budget.
Rangehood installation services
Learn about rangehood installation services and how to find a book a quality service online.
Business courses online in Australia
Searching for a career in business and not sure where to start? Find out here.
Online first aid courses in Australia
Be prepared to help in any situation. Here's what you need to know about taking an online first aid course.
7 things I learned from having to cancel my domestic trip | A couple of travel makers
Because unforeseen circumstances do happen.
Ask an Expert