Ski Insurance.com.au Review
About to hit the slopes? Get travel insurance that's tailor-made for skiers.
If you are getting ready for your next ski trip and looking for a competitively priced and comprehensive insurance policy, one of the options from Ski Insurance (Ski-insurance.com.au) may be the right fit for you.
Don't get snowed in - compare policy features and get cover.
Ready to compare policy benefits?
What policy options do I have?
Ski Insurance offers several different policy types.
If you are heading away on an overseas or domestic ski adventure, it is important to have the right cover in place, not only for the usual mishaps that can occur while travelling but also for ski related losses that can leave you out of pocket.
Policies can be taken out as single, group or family cover with additional cover options available to ensure you have the right level of protection in place.
Read up on each and see if they suit your needs.
International and Domestic Winter Sports Insurance
Heading over to Japan to catch the freshest powder? Staying in Australia and heading over to Jindabyne?
Ski Insurance can provide you with essential international holiday cover, as well as specialised ski insurance benefits.
- Emergency rescue
- Cover for snow ski equipment hire following loss, theft, or breakage
- Ski pack gives you cover for the value of unused ski passes, hire, and tuition if you're too sick to use them
- Cover for travel to an alternative resort if you're unable to ski at your pre-booked resort
- Bad weather/avalanche cover
Annual Ski Insurance
If you're chasing snow all year round, the annual multi-trip policy from Ski Insurance might be the right option for you.
This policy can provide cover for an unlimited number of trips within any 12-month period with cover available for both domestic and international journeys.
Taking out an annual policy is not only more convenient for frequent travellers but can also attract significant premium discounts.
Professional Ski Insurance
Ski Insurance is the only insurance company that provides protection for competitive skiing and snowboarding in Australia.
This policy covers the pros with the following cover:
- Overseas emergency medical assistance & hospital expenses
- Emergency rescue
- Additional accommodation and travel expenses
- Permanent disability
- Accidental death
- Personal liability
Compare policy benefits
|Overseas emergency medical assistance|
|Overseas medical and hospital expenses|
|Includes dental expenses (per person)||$500|
|Additional accommodation & travel expenses||$50,000||$50,000|
|Includes family emergency|
|Includes emergency companion cover|
|Resumption of journey||$3,000|
|Hospital cash allowance||$5,000|
|Loss of income||$10,400|
|Credit card fraud & replacement||$5,000|
|Travel documents & traveller's cheques|
|Theft of money||$250|
|Luggage & personal effects||$5,000||$5,000|
|Luggage & personal effects delay expenses||$250|
|Cancellation fees & lost deposits||Unlimited||Unlimited|
|Disruption of journey||$1,000||$1,000|
|Alternative transport expenses||$5,000|
|Personal liability||$5 million||$5 million|
|Rental vehicle excess||$5,000||$5,000|
|Snow skiing hire equipment||$1,500||$1,500|
|Bad weather and avalanche closure||$750||$750|
Table updated: September 2019
Note: It is important to note that the conditions for benefit payment and sum that will be paid can vary significantly between policies. It is critical that you read through the product disclosure statement closely prior to application.
What cover types are available?
Cover can be taken out as single, group or family.
- Single: Provides cover for you and your dependents while you are away. The benefit limit that is applicable to the policy you choose will apply to the total of all claims that are made on the policy. This is regardless of the number of people the claims relate to.
- Group: Provides cover for up to 10 people under the single policy. There will only be one issue of insurance provided, though each person will have the same cover as that provided under a single policy.
What other benefits do they offer?
In addition to the common cover benefits that you can expect on travel insurance policies, Skiinsurance.com.au policies also include a range of ski-related cover options to help ensure cover for losses that may occur.
- Emergency rescue cover. In the event that you suffer a serious injury while on the slopes (including off-piste skiing provided it is within the resort boundaries), you can get emergency evacuation or transport to the closest hospital for emergency treatment.
- Snow Ski Equipment Hire. Ski Insurance may pay for hiring of alternative ski equipment if your equipment is lost or damaged.
- Ski Pack. Ski Insurance can reimburse certain costs if you get sick and can't use prepaid ski passes, ski hire, tuition fees, and lift passes.
- Piste Closure. In the event that you are unable to ski due to there not being enough snow, bad weather, power failure at your resort or lift closure, Ski Insurance may pay up to $100 per 24 hour period for transport to another resort or for additional ski passes.
- Bad weather and avalanche closure. You can claim for the reasonable expenses of extra travel and alternative accommodation if your pre-booked outward or return journey is delayed for more than 12 hours due to bad weather or avalanche closure.
- Specified luggage and personal effects cover. This option allows you to register any additional items that have a maximum value of $5,000.
- Heli-Skiing. You can purchase additional cover for single trip heli-skiing trips that you take. You will be covered for the events listed in your policy, in line with policy terms, provided cover is taken out at least 24 hours prior to your heli-skiing trip. An additional excess of $500 will apply for claims arising out of heli-skiing.
- Removal of policy excess. You can pay an additional premium to have any excess removed for specified events. This option is only available on international and multi-trip policies.
Applications can be made entirely online and you can download the policy disclosure statement from the Skiinsurance.com.au website to read up on the policy terms and conditions. finder.com.au recommends that anyone taking out travel insurance takes the time to read through the PDS and understands the costs, policy features, potential limitations of the cover and steps to be taken in the event of a claim.
Ask an Expert