American Express Travel Insurance
Choose from Annual-Multi Trip or Single Trip policy options and get 24/7 medical cover with AMEX travel insurance.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder .
A leading credit card provider throughout the world, these days American Express Australia is also an established travel insurance provider. With comprehensive and basic policies to choose from, as well as annual and single trip cover, they also offer tailor-made packages for those travelling to golf or ski.
Compare American Express travel insurance quotes
Made a search before? Retrieve your search results
Type or Select your destination(s)
Summary of American Express' Comprehensive policy
|Overseas Medical and Hospital Expenses||Unlimited|
|Cancellation and Amendment Fees||$1,500|
|Luggage and Personal Effects||$10,000|
|Maximum Age Limit||84|
Table updated February 2020
What policies are available?
American Express provide the following travel insurance options:
Available with International and for single trips. Cover includes personal liability, medical assistance, luggage, travel documents and money benefits.
Available with International and for single trips. Cover includes personal liability, medical assistance, some cancellation benefits, luggage travel documents and money benefits.
Available with International and for single trips. Cover includes what's covered in previous plans with higher limits as well as cash in hospital and loss of income benefits.
Available with International and for single trips. Cover includes what's covered in comprehensive but also has a higher luggage, travel documents and money benefits limit.
Available with single trips within Australia, you can get cover for cancellation, lost, stolen or damaged luggage as well as travel delays.
You can get unlimited medical, cash in hospital, cancellation cover, delay benefits and more for a 12 month travel period.
Within Australia Annual
This 12 month domestic travel pack comes with cancellation cover, luggage and delay benefits and more. Like other domestic policies, it does not include medical cover.
Amex travel insurance review of policy benefits
Take a look at the table below to compare policy benefits.
|Cancellation fees and lost deposits||$750||$1,500||$1,500||$750|
|Overseas emergency medical assistance||Unlimited||Unlimited||Unlimited||Unlimited|
|Overseas emergency medical and hospital expenses||Unlimited||Unlimited||Unlimited||Unlimited|
|Hospital cash allowance||$100 per day||$100 per day|
|Loss of income||$10,400||$10,400|
|Travel documents, travellers cheques, credit cards||$2,500||$5,000||$10,000||$15,000||$5,000|
|Theft of cash||$250||$250|
|Luggage and personal effects||$2,500||$5,000||$10,000||$15,000||$5,000|
|Luggage and personal effects delay expenses||$250||$500||$500||$250|
|Rental vehicle excess||Optional Extra||Optional Extra||$3,000||$3,000||$3,000|
Table was last updated: June 2020
What add-ons are available with American Express?
These are some of the optional extras available with American Express Travel Insurance:
- Golf Cover. This covers you for your own golf equipment, hire equipment and it will reimburse you for unused golf green fees if you are sick or injured.
- Rental Vehicle Excess. This can be bought with a standalone single trip policy, covering you if you become liable to pay a rental vehicle excess while your travelling.
- Luggage upgrade. This allows you to upgrade your maximum benefit limit for your luggage or any personal effects and important travel documents.
- Snow cover. This can either be taken out as a standalone policy or bundled with other policies, covering you for things like snow sport equipment, piste closure, bad weather and avalanche closure.
What isn't included in this policy?
These general exclusions apply to all American Express Travel Insurance policies and are worth keeping in mind when purchasing a policy. Remember to read your PDS for a full list of general exclusions. You will not be covered for the following:
- Any pre-existing condition that is not deemed an approved medical condition. You also need to make sure you disclose any relevant pre-existing medical condition
- Your nerves, anxiety or stress disorders prevents you from completing your journey or results in any changes to your plans
- Any participation in ski acrobats, stunting, ski jumping, heliskiing, aerial skiing, ski joreing, off-piste skiing, bobsleighing, snow rafting, para-penting
- An act of Terrorism
- Any nuclear reaction or contamination
- Any illegal or unlawful act
- Costs incurred prior to you being certified by a doctor as unfit to travel, or for any travel undertaken that a doctor has advised against
- Loss, damage, illness or death if you don't take reasonable care
Amex travel insurance claim and contact details
If you need to make a claim, make sure you do it within 30 days of the event taking place. You will need to complete a claims form and attach any relevant receipts, reports and documentation as well.
Claims and contact details
Emergency assistance: +61 2 8907 5666
Claim method 1: The easiest way is submit your claim online. You will need, your insurance details, contact information, any relevant supporting documents and the intended payee's information.
Claim method 2: Alternatively, you can call 1800 139 149 and they will talk you through the process. You will need the same information as mentioned in the online claims process.
General phone enquiries: Call 1800 139 149 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
AMEX Travel Insurance Frequently Asked Questions
More guides on Finder
American Express Rental Vehicle Excess Travel Insurance
American Express Rental Vehicle Excess Travel Insurance can provide the additional peace of mind should anything happen to your rental car for the duration of your trip.
Ask an Expert