Receive quotes for AMEX Travel Insurance
A leading credit card provider in the Australian market, American Express Australia has now established itself as a distributor of Chubb travel insurance products. American Express offers a competitive range of products to meet the needs of a variety of travellers. While the cover may be affordable, AMEX has worked hard to design a suite of travel cover options that won’t leave you exposed to financial hardship if you suffer a loss overseas.
Compare American Express Travel Insurance Plans to Cover Your Next Overseas Getaway
Made a search before? Retrieve your search results
Type or select your destination
Who Underwrites American Express Travel Insurance?
American Express Travel Insurance is issued and underwritten by Chubb Insurance Australia Limited and distributed by American Express Australia Limited®. Chubb is an Australian financial services licensee authorised to provide advice in relation to and deal in general insurance products. Chubb Group is one of the world’s largest multiline property and casualty insurers.
Benefits of Taking Out Travel Cover with American Express Travel Insurance Australia
Affordable travel cover
American Express prides itself on offering affordable travel cover solutions that will still provide cover for the essentials. American Express knows the difference between low-value travel cover and affordable travel cover that still gives the right amount of protection overseas. Customers are also given access to a range of different discount promotions, letting them save even more on their premiums.
Cover solutions to satisfy a range of travellers
American Express knows that no two trips are the same and offers a variety of policies and additional cover options. You have the chance to choose from Annual-Multi Trip or Single Trip policy options and then tailor that cover even closer to your needs via a selection of different add-ons such as snow cover or rental vehicle excess.
Superior customer service
American express ensures that all their customers have support when it's needed most. Whether you are unsure about a particular feature of your policy during application or need to contact someone after a loss, American Express’s dedicated team of consultants are on hand 24 hours a day 7 days a week to give you the support you need.
Fast and easy application
If after comparing the different options you are ready to take out cover, you can receive a free, no-obligation quote and your cover documents in a matter of minutes. If you are still happy with the policies on offer, you can then purchase your cover securely and entirely online.
Key Features of American Express Travel Insurance Policies
Without going into every policy feature and condition, here is an overview of the quality of cover you can expect on American Express travel insurance policies;
- 24/7 medical assistance: In addition to its competitive prices, American Express has grown to become a world leader in its emergency medical assistance. You can feel secure knowing you will have access to 24 hours a day 365 days of the year to an Australian based team ready to provide support wherever you are in the world. This may include;
- Medical evacuations
- Funeral arrangements
- Messages to family
- Hospital guarantees
- Unlimited medical expenses cover: Cover for emergency medical treatment if you become sick or injured overseas. This may include;
- Emergency dental treatment for sudden and acute pain
- Loss of travel documents, credit card and traveller’s cheques
- Cover for emergency dental expenses
- Cover for post-journey medical expenses for up to 12 months
- Baggage delay cover
- Optional cover options for winter sports and golf equipment
- Up to $15,000 for loss of personal belongings
- Unlimited cover for loss of frequent flyer points
These are just some of the cover benefits available on AMEX travel insurance policies. The conditions and benefit levels may vary from policy to policy so it is essential to review your product disclosure statement prior to application.
American Express Annual Multi-Trip Travel Insurance
If you are someone that travels regularly each year for work or leisure, you can enjoy both the convenience and affordability that comes with an annual-multi trip policy. Rather than having to apply for a different policy each time you travel, you will be covered for every trip you take within a 12-month period and still receive the same comprehensive cover as you would on a single policy.
Key features of the annual multi-trip policy
- Cover for single or family trips
- Individual trips can be taken for up to 45 days for business travel
- Cover reinstated at the beginning of each journey
- Same comprehensive cover as offered on a single trip policy including;
- Unlimited medical cover
- Unlimited cancellation cover
- Rental vehicle excess cover
What is Covered on the American Express Travel Insurance Policies?
|Benefits||Single Trip International Comprehensive||Single Trip Australia||Annual Multi-Trip International Comprehensive||Annual Multi-Trip Australia|
|Cancellation fees and lost deposits|
|Overseas emergency medical assistance|
|Overseas emergency medical and hospital expenses|
|Hospital cash allowance|
|Loss of income|
|Travel documents, travellers cheques, credit cards|
|Theft of cash|
|Luggage and personal effects|
|Luggage and personal effects delay expenses|
|Rental vehicle excess|
It is important to note that each type of cover will have it’s own set of cover levels and sub-limits for different events. As an example, here is the benefit levels and sub-levels for the Cancellation Fees and Lost Deposits benefit on the Australia Domestic Annual Multi-Trip policy;
- Cancellation fees and lost deposits: Unlimited
- Travel agent cancellation fees: $750
It is critical that you review the cover levels on your policy prior to application to ensure the plan you choose offers an adequate payment for different events.
Additional Options Available on American Express Travel Insurance Policies
In addition to the comprehensive range of features built-in to each of the AMEX travel insurance policies, you also have the ability to tailor your policy closer to your requirements via a range of additional cover options.
As much fun as winter sports might be, the reality is that these trips can be fraught with mishaps. If you are planning your next ski vacation, American Express Snow Cover offers all of the additional cover benefits to ensure that your time on the ski fields is not ruined by unforeseen events. Snow cover can either be taken out as a standalone policy or bundled with other policies.
Events covered under Snow Cover
- Own snow sport equipment: Cover for stolen, accidentally lost or damaged snow sport equipment that is owned by you
- Snow equipment hire: Cover for accidental loss, theft of or damage to snow sport equipment that has been hired by you
- Snow ski pack: Cover for unused pre-booked and pre-paid ski passes, ski hire, tuition fees or lift passes due to illness or injury
- Unused Winter Sports Costs: Cover for pre-booked ski passes, ski hire, tuition fees or lift passes if you are unable to use them as a result of accidental injury, disease or sickness
- Piste closure: Policyholder reimbursed $100 per 24 hour period if all lift systems are closed for a period of longer than 24 hours due to not enough snow, bad weather or power failure at the resort
- Bad weather and avalanche closure: Will pay for the reasonable cost of transport and accommodation expenses if your pre-booked journey is disrupted for a period of 12 hours or more due to bad weather or avalanche
Every golfer knows the benefit of a clear mind when it comes to being on form on the course. The American Express Golf Cover option will ensure that you are adequately covered for any unforeseen events that may occur on your next golf trip.
Events covered under Golf Cover
- Own golf equipment: Will provide reimbursement for golf equipment that is owned by you that is stolen, accidentally damaged or permanently lost.
- Golf equipment hire: Will reimburse the costs of hiring alternative golf equipment following the accidental loss, theft, damage of equipment owned by you. This benefit will also provide cover if your equipment is misdirected by a transport carrier for a period longer than 24 hours.
- Golf green fees: Will reimburse the costs of unused green fees if you become injured or sick.
This option will allow you to register high value items to ensure that depreciation is not taken into account when an item is lost. Protect the items that mean the most to you so you can travel with the peace of mind that they are adequately covered.
- Luggage and personal effects cover: In the event that a claimable loss or damage to your luggage is incurred, American Express will automatically reinstate the insured amount for insured items.
- Travel document replacement: If during the period of insurance your travel documents and/or credit cards are lost or stolen, American Express will reimburse you their replacement cost.
Rental Vehicle Excess Cover
Many people are shocked by what they end up having to pay in insurance excess to their rental company following damage to a rental vehicle on their trip. This option provides cover in the event that your rental vehicle is crashed, stolen, or damaged and will cover any costs associated with returning the vehicle if you are unfit to do so yourself.
- Rental vehicle excess: Will cover the cost of excess charged by the rental company up to $3,000 and reimburse the costs of returning the vehicle if you are unfit to do so up to $500. This option is included on comprehensive cover options.
The benefit levels for each of the features listed in the additional options above may vary greatly between policies so it important to check what you will receive in the event of a claim. In addition, each feature contains it’s own set of conditions for when a benefit will and will not be provided.
American Express Travel Insurance Claims Process
In the event that you need to make a claim on your policy, it is vital you contact American Express as soon as possible to notify them of the claim. Claim forms can be found on the American Express website and must be delivered by post.
Claims will take 10 days to process from the date the completed claim form has been received along with any necessary documentation. If any additional information is required, American Express will notify you within 10 working days.
Typical documentation required for different events
- Loss or damage of valuable items: Valuation documents or original receipts or proof of ownership documentation
- For medical, hospital or dental claims: Contact Chubb Assistance as soon as possible. You are likely to require translated medical reports from certified medical practitioners
- For stolen items: You must report it to the police as soon as possible and obtain a police report
- Loss or damage of luggage personal items by transport carrier, other operator or accommodation provider: Report the damage or misplacement and obtain a written statement by official or manager
Claims will need to be lodged within 30 days of you having returned home.
AMEX Travel Insurance Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How much does cover cost?
A. This will depend on a number of factors including;
- Your travel destination
- The length of your journey
- The number of people covered under your policy
- Your age
- The plan you choose and any additional options selected
Q. Who is eligible to take out AMEX Travel Insurance?
A. Cover is only available if;
- You are an Australian resident
- Your policy is purchased prior to the commencement of your journey
- Your journey begins and ends in Australia
Q. Is there an age limit?
A. The following policies are available to people up to 69 years of age;
- Comprehensive (International and Australia)
- Luggage Upgrade Cover
- Rental vehicle excess cover
- Snow cover
- Golf cover
The following policies are available to people up to 89 years of age;
- Comprehensive (International)
- Luggage and personal effects + Specified items cover
- Rental vehicle excess cover
- Snow cover
- Golf cover
Q. What cover types can I choose from?
- Single: Provides cover to you and dependents that are travelling with you
- Individual: Only provides cover for you and nobody else that is travelling with you
- Family: Provides cover for you, your spouse or de-facto partner and any dependents travelling with you
Q. Is there a cooling-off period applied on the policy?
A. Each policy is issued with a 14 day cooling off period whereby you can cancel the policy and receive a full refund provided you have not started your trip or are not trying to make a claim or exercise any other right under the policy
Q. Can cover be provided for one-way journeys?
A. If you hold an open ticket, you must give an anticipated date of return that falls within a 12-month period. Extensions of cover are subject to American Expresses approval
Q. What is the maximum period of travel for multi-trip policies?
- i) thirty (30); or
- ii) forty-five (45); or
- iii) sixty (60)
Q. Can I renew a multi-trip policy?
A. Multi-trip policies can be renewed for another 12 months if notice is given at least 30 days before the expiry date that you wish to renew
Q. When can I buy my policy?
A. You can purchase your policy up to 12 months prior to your departure
Q. Can I purchase a policy if I am already overseas?
A. No. AMEX travel insurance policies are only available to people currently residing in Australia
Q. Am I covered for work overseas?
A. No. AMEX travel insurance policies are only designed to provide cover for Australians travelling for leisure or business, not for people that work for an employer overseas
Q. Am I covered for riding a motorcycle or moped/scooter overseas?
A. Yes. Provided you hold a registered Australian Motorcycle Licence
Q. Does the policy cover me for underwater diving?
A. Yes. Provided you hold a registered Australian underwater diver licence
Q. If I am pregnant, should I fly?
A. AMEX will not pay for claims Arising from pregnancy, childbirth or related complications
Q. How are claims paid?
A. Claims are paid in Australian dollars
Interested in Applying for American Express Travel Insurance?
If the cover features available on the AMEX travel cover plans sound like a good fit for your journey, you can follow the secure link through their website where you can receive an obligation-free quote and start comparing different options. You will be provided with a product disclosure statement, which will state all of the necessary terms and conditions of the different benefits including;
- Benefit levels for each cover option
- Benefit exclusions
- Pre-existing medical conditions that are covered
- Pre-existing medical conditions that are not covered
- Details of benefit excess
- Contact details for different areas
If you are satisfied with the cover, you may then go on to purchase your cover entirely online.