2019 Finder Award winners revealed. Get the best for you.
CGU Travel Insurance
finder.com.au review of CGU Travel Insurance – compare policies offered by CGU Insurance
Travel insurance is insurance taken out to offer financial protection for a whole range of losses that may be incurred while travelling both in Australia and abroad. Such losses may include trip cancellations, overseas medical expenses, loss or damage to luggage and personal belongings. Finding the right travel cover to offer adequate protection without breaking your budget is critical. This is not only a matter of comparing different policy options but also choosing a provider that you are confident in.
Compare your travel insurance quotes
Made a search before? Retrieve your search results
Type or Select your destination(s)
CGU Insurance Limited has been providing insurance policies for more than 160 years and is one of the oldest and most respected insurers in Australia. It has worked hard to establish itself as one of the leading insurance providers on the Australian market.
CGU Insurance Australia was founded in 1851 as New South Wales Marine Assurance Company and later became part of the Commercial Union. From New South Wales, it expanded into the rest of Australia. During the second part of the 20th Century, Commercial Union bought several Australian insurance companies and in 1997 it became one of the five largest insurance companies. In 1998, Commercial Union plc merged with General Accident plc, forming CGU Insurance.
In 2001, CGU Insurance ltd in Australia bought the Australian operations of European financial services group Fortis and in 2002 the Aviva parent company (the new name for the global CGU group) announced the sale (finalised the following year) of its Australian and New Zealand businesses of CGU, NZI and Swann to Insurance Australia Group (IAG), the new name for NRMA Insurance.
CGU Travel Insurance is one of CGU Insurance’s top products. It offers different plans and covers a wide range of accidents that could happen when you are travelling.Back to top
- Broad range of policy options. If you purchase CGU Travel Insurance, you will be able to choose from one of several plans depending on your needs each with different features to accommodate the different cover needs of a variety of travellers.
- Extensive cover. The main cover features offered by CGU include:
- Overseas medical, dental and additional expenses
- Luggage and travel documents
- Return of hire car and deductible waiver
- Emergency purchases because of lost or delayed luggage
- Accidental death, disability and loss of income
- Cancellations, delays and rescheduled travel cover
- 24/7 emergency assistance: You can contact a 24/7 hotline from anywhere in the world in the event you suffer a medical emergency.
- Cooling-Off Period. You can ask for a full refund within 21 days if you are not satisfied with your contract. Obviously, this does not apply if you have submitted a claim.
- Flexible payment options. Any CGU Travel Insurance policy can be paid in monthly instalments at no extra cost with the Easy-Pay Instalment Premium Plan.
|Minimum cover for:||Australia||New Zealand, Norfolk Island and South Pacific Islands||Asia||Africa, Europe, India, Middle East, Russia, South America, or UK||Canada, Japan or USA|
|Alternative transport to a special event||n/a||$2,000||$2,000||$2,000||$2,000|
|Luggage and travel documents||$2,500*||$3,500*||$5,000*||$10,000*||$12,000*|
*Be sure to check the CGU Travel Insurance PDS for sub limits before purchaseBack to top
- Does CGU Travel Insurance cover cancellation? If you have to cancel your travel arrangements, CGU Insurance cover any unrecoverable costs related to travel arrangements you paid in advance. If you have paid with frequent flyer points, CGU Travel Insurance will pay you the value of those points.
- Am I covered for additional expenses with my CGU Travel Insurance? If you are delayed, your CGU Insurance covers you for the reasonable costs of any additional travel expenses or accommodation costs you incurred as a result.
- What if the delay is only minor, am I still covered? CGU Australia will cover you for the reasonable costs associated with your additional meals and accommodation if you're delayed for reason out of your control.
- I have pets, what about their kennelling costs? If you are delayed, CGU Travel Insurance cover you for additional boarding fees for up to $25 a day, and a max of $500.
- I missed my connection, is that covered? If you are on your way to a special event such as a funeral, conference or wedding and a delay means you missed you connecting transport, CGU Travel Insurance will cover the reasonable cost of finding alternative transport.
- What happens if I have to return to Australia because of a death in the family? If you have to cut your trip short due to the death or illness if a family member, travelling companion or business partner, CGU Insurance will cover the reasonable costs for your travel interruption.
- What if I want to continue my trip after an interruption? If you had to come home for special circumstances, CGU Travel Insurance will cover the reasonable fare costs of getting you a one-way ticket to continue your journey.
- What if my luggage or travel documents are damaged, lost or stolen? CGU Insurance will cover your for lost or stolen items, so long as you have taken all the reasonable steps to minimise your loss, up to the policy limits for these items. Please check the CGU Travel Insurance PDS for the specifics limits and sub-limits for cover.
- What happens if I require emergency medical or dental treatment overseas? If while travelling you become ill or injured and require emergency medical treatment, CGU Australia will provide you with cover up to the policy limit. CGU Super Plus and Super Travel Insurance both provide unlimited cover. CGU Standard and Economy Travel Insurance provide $300,000 and $100,000 cover respectively. Medical and dental not cover by CGU Domestic Travel Insurance.
- Can I ride a motorbike? Yes. CGU Travel insurance cover the sue of motorcycles so long and the driver has a valid Australian motorcycle license or valid equivalent in the county they are travelling in.
- Am I covered for accidental death? Yes. If the worst should happen, CGU Insurance will pay a death benefit to your estate.
- Is personal liability covered? Yes. CGU Travel Insurance cover your legal liability that results from you being involved in an incident that causes a loss or damage to a third party.
All the cover options listed above are subject to exclusions as outlined in the CGU Travel Insurance PDS. If you have any queries about cover prior to purchase, please consult the CGU Travel Insurance PDS.Back to top
Your CGU insurance claims will not be paid if it is the result of:
- any violent act by you
- any illegal act
- any incident outside the period of insurance
- failure to take reasonable care
- ignoring government or media travel warnings
- motorcycle use if driver in unlicensed
- off-piste skiing
- pre-existing conditions
- the effects of drugs alcohol.
This is by no means an exhaustive list of exclusions. For a full list of conditions and exclusions, please consult the CGU Travel insurance PDS.Back to top
CGU Insurance claims are dealt with quickly and easily with thanks to their 24hour emergency hotline. If you're involved in an incident overseas, you can get in touch with a CGU Insurance claims assistant via the phone or online.
Steps for lodging a claim
- To kick off your CGU Insurance claims process, first you will need to contact CGU by phone and provide them with a range of information depending on the claim type.
- If you are claiming for cancellation, you need to provide the assessor with any original receipts, tickets, booking details, doctor's note or any other information pertinent to your claim.
- If you're lodging a claim for lost or stolen luggage, you'll need to provide the CGU Insurance claims assessor with evidence of ownership and any official reports.
- If your claims is relating to medical treatment, you'll need to produce any relevant medical reports.
- Once you have produced this information, CGU Travel Insurance will assign you a case manager who will update you on how your claim is progressing and inform you of any excess you may be liable to pay should you claim be successful.
- The claim will then be assessed and if your claims is successful it will be paid in Australian dollars.
If you have particular needs for travel insurance, CGU may have an option that is suitable for you.
- Am I covered for business travel? Yes. CGU Travel Insurance have a policy that provides insurance if you have to travel for business reasons. The CGU Corporate Travel Insurance policy covers accident death, disability, loss of income, cancellation, excess waiver, personal liability, luggage and travel documents, medical, dental and additional expenses.
- Can I get cover for a pre-existing condition? Yes. While claims for pre-existing conditions are excluded, there are options available. If your condition is not automatically covered by CGU Travel Insurance, you can have your condition assessed. If you're approved, you may take out travel insurance though have to pay an additional premium.
- I am over 70, can I get cover? Yes. If you are over 70, you can get cover with CGU Travel Insurance. However, you will need to undergo a medical assessment to see if you are eligible for cover.
You might like these...
Ask an Expert