With energy prices rising, switch to a cheaper plan
Compare Prices Now

RAA Travel Insurance

Get cover for domestic and international trips with RAA Travel Insurance.

No reviews yet. Write a review

We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!

RAA has been around for more than 115 years, providing South Australians with car, home and travel insurance. An RAA travel insurance policy can cover you for medical expenses, trip cancellations, lost or stolen luggage and much more. Plus, when you sign up, you get access to RAA membership discounts which can include everything from money off your insurance premiums to free movie tickets.

RAA travel insurance is not currently available via Finder. You can head to the RAA website or compare alternative options available below.

Compare your travel insurance quotes

Made a search before? Retrieve your search results

At least one destination is required
Both dates are required
Add more travellers
Enter the age of each traveller between 0 and 99

Enter a valid email address

At least one destination is required
Starting date is required
Add more travellers
Enter the age of each traveller between 0 and 99

Enter a valid email address

Type or select country destination(s)

Popular Destinations

Can't find your destination? Just type it in the box above.

We compare products from

By submitting this form, you agree to the finder.com.au Privacy & Cookies Policy and Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy.

Who is RAA Travel Insurance?

RAA was founded 75 years ago and is one of the leading insurers in South Australia. When the company was first established, it was just an agency placing all business with Lloyd’s of London. In 1987 RAA began to create and underwrite its own insurance products.

In 2002 Suncorp Metway and RAA merged into RAA Insurance Limited as a joint venture company, using the products of RAA insurance. In 2010 RAA bought Suncorp Metway and is now a leading general insurer in South Australia.

As a general insurance provider RAA has developed a diverse range of products, from motor vehicle to home and contents, from valuables to pleasure craft and from caravan to travel insurance. All the products, including of course RAA Travel Insurance, are distributed through the RAA office network across South Australia and in Broken Hill, and also through a call centre located in Adelaide.

RAA Travel Insurance policies are competitively priced offering a range of extra benefits, such as special rates and discounts in case of reduced insurance risk or loyalty.

What policies can I choose from with RAA Travel Insurance?

RAA Travel Insurance offers three types of plan tailored to domestic and international trips.

  • Domestic plans: RAA's Comprehensive Domestic policy covers you for cancellation fees and lost deposits resulting from illness or accidents (with no benefit limits), plus gives you more towards a rental car excess in the case of accident, damage or theft (up to $5,000).
  • International plans. You can choose from a Basic Plan, Essentials, or Premium. These policies can cover you for things like medical care, lost or stolen luggage, cancellation fees, loss of income and more
  • Annual multi-trip plans. The best option if you are planning several journeys during a year. You get annual cover for more than 12 months. There is a maximum duration limit to any one trip (30, 45 or 60 days). The shorter the duration, the cheaper the policy.

What levels of cover are available with an RAA international travel insurance policy?

RAA's International Travel Insurance policy types can be broken down into three levels of cover:

  • Premium. RAA's most comprehensive plan offering an extensive range of different benefits such as emergency medical and dental treatment, emergency travel and accommodation, trip cancellation, etc. This included $20,000 towards funeral expenses overseas, $15,000 towards luggage and $10,400 towards loss of income.
  • Essentials. This policy is ideal for domestic travel or for budget travellers who don't want the same cover requirements. You will get essential coverage conditions, such as emergency medical and dental costs and trip cancellation costs but limits are generally lower; for example, $15,000 towards funeral expenses, $7,500 towards luggage and $5,200 towards loss of income.
  • Basics. RAA's cheapest option comes with essentials including unlimited medical and hospital expenses, $500 towards dental, legal liability and emergency expenses.

RAA Travel Insurance benefits

RAA Travel Insurance benefits include:

  • Overseas medical and dental expenses: If during your trip you are hit by a disabling injury, sickness or disease, RAA will provide cover for medical treatment, emergency dental treatment and ambulance transportation provided outside Australia.
  • Additional expenses: Will provide cover if you become sick, pass away unexpectedly or your home is destroyed by fire, earthquake or storm. Additional accommodation and additional transport expenses are covered when they arise due to unforeseen circumstances that are outside of your control.
  • Amendment or cancellation costs: Provides cover for changes or cancellation of pre-paid travel arrangements such as tours, flights or accommodation due to circumstances that are outside of your control.
  • Luggage and personal effects: In the event that your luggage or other personal effects are damaged or stolen, a benefit will be provided to cover the replacement costs or help cover the costs of purchasing new items.
  • Ski Equipment Hire Cover: Will provide a benefit payment to cover the costs of equipment you have hired that has been damaged or stolen during the duration of the trip.
  • Travel documents: Benefit provided for replacement of travel documents and credit cards lost or stolen during the journey.
  • Delayed luggage allowance: Benefit provided for luggage delayed by a transport provider during the journey for more than 10 hours. A $700 limit per essential emergency item will be doubled if you have not received your luggage after 72 hours.
  • Money: If you have lost cash, bank or currency notes, or they have been stolen, you will be reimbursed up to a maximum of $500 depending on the plan you have chosen.
  • Rental Car Insurance Excess: A benefit for any rental car insurance excess can be paid if you become liable to pay as a result of damage to or theft of the rental car.
  • Travel delay: Benefit provided if there is a delay of pre-booked a transport arrangement.
  • Resumption of journey: In the event that you are forced to return home due to unexpected illness, injury or death of a family member, RAA will provide a benefit payment to enable you to resume your journey.
  • Hospital incidentals: Will provide cover of hospital incidentals to a maximum of $50 per day. Keep in mind that this depends on the maximum limit of your policy.
  • Loss of income: Benefit provided if you suffer any injury caused solely and directly by violent, accidental, visible and external means and if you are unable to attend work in Australia.
  • Disability: Benefit payment provided if you suffer any injury caused solely and directly by violent, accidental, visible and external means that results in permanent loss or use of one or more limbs.
  • Accidental death: Benefit provided for accidental death of the policyholder.
  • Personal liability: Benefit provided if you are covered in case of damage caused to someone else’s property or the injury or death of someone else.

Additional cover options available with RAA Travel Insurance

RAA Travel Insurance has the following additional cover options to consider during application:

  • Excess options: You have the power to choose your excess. The higher the excess, the lower the premium. This option is not available on all policies.
  • Luggage item limits: You may increase the level of cover applied to the cover limit for different luggage items.
  • Skiing, snowboarding and snowmobiling: Take out extra cover for winter sports activities.

Extending your RAA Travel Insurance Policy

In the event that you wish to wish to extend your period of cover for longer than the original period of travel, you will be require to purchase a new policy prior to the expiration date on the original certificate of insurance. It is worth noting that in the event you suffer a new medical condition during the original period of insurance, this will be considered a pre-existing medical condition under the new contract of insurance and therefore may be excluded from cover.

What sports and activities will RAA Travel Insurance Cover?

RAA Provides automatic cover for a comprehensive list of different activities while you are away. These include:

  • Abseiling
  • Archery
  • Hot Air Ballooning
  • Bungy Jumping
  • Flying Fox
  • Horse Riding
  • Jet Boating
  • Jet Skiing
  • Kayaking
  • Paragliding
  • Parasailing
  • Skydiving
  • Snorkelling
  • Surfing
  • White Water Rafting
  • Working Holidays

Conditions apply for when a benefit will be paid for each of the activities listed.

Existing medical conditions

Existing medical conditions and pregnancy are not covered unless specifically approved by RAA and may incur an additional benefit payment.
An existing medical condition is recognises as:

  • “Any physical defect, condition, illness or disease for which treatment, medication, surgery or advice has been received or prescribed by a medical practitioner, dental or health professional in the 180 days prior to the relevant time”
  • “Any chronic or ongoing (whether chronic or otherwise medical condition, illness medically documented prior to the relevant time”

Relevant time is recognised as:

  • The time of issue of the policy for single trip policies
  • In case of Multi-annual trip plan, the first time any part of the relevant trip is paid

As previously mentioned, there are three categories of pre-existing medical conditions:

  • Conditions automatically covered for free (i.e. acne, allergies, asthma, cataracts, glaucoma, coeliac disease, diabetes, glucose intolerance, ear grommets, epilepsy, gastric reflux, gout, hiatus hernia, hip/ knee replacement, hypertension, menopause, underactive/overactive thyroid)
  • Conditions that cannot be covered (i.e. back, neck, alcohol or drug dependence, travels for medical treatment, any yet to be diagnosed conditions, etc
  • Conditions that have to be accessed (all the medical conditions not stated in the two previous cases

Making a Claim with RAA Travel Insurance

RAA's emergency assistance team is available 24/7 so you can call them anytime for assistance on +61 2 8055 1698 (they'll accept reverse charges from the overseas operator).

To lodge a claim, you can contact the claims team on 1300 207 365 or do it online following these steps:

  1. Make sure you register and set up a password by using the email address you used to buy your RAA policy.
  2. Complete your claim details and upload any relevant documentation related to it
  3. Once you've submitted your claim, RAA will get back to you within 10 working days and let you know if they need anymore information from you.

RAA Travel Insurance Frequently Asked Questions

Interested in applying for RAA Travel Insurance?

If the cover benefits offered on the different RAA travel cover plans sound like a suitable fit for your trip, you can purchase cover entirely online via the RAA website. RAA has taken great steps to ensure your card details remain safe throughout the entire transaction process. Cover can be put in place in as little as 10 minutes provided you do not have any special conditions to disclose. finder.com.au always recommends that anyone taking out travel cover take the time to review the terms and conditions stated in the product disclosure statement prior to application to be crystal clear on exactly when they will and will not be covered and the conditions for claim payment.

More guides on Finder

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on finder.com.au:

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • finder.com.au is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and Privacy & Cookies Policy.

16 Responses

  1. Default Gravatar
    robertSeptember 6, 2015

    I have booked a three week trip to Hungary and Italy leaving Adelaide on October 19th 2015 and returning on November 6th. Recently I was diagnosed in late August 2015 as having had a minor stroke. My doctor has told me it is ok to travel but my question is about having insurance cover. Can you please advise me whether I can take out insurance cover with this preexisting medical condition and the cost of the premium?

    Thank you

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      MauriceSeptember 7, 2015Staff

      Hi Robert,

      Thanks for your question

      RAA requires that any medical condition that is not “acne, allergies, asthma, cataracts, glaucoma, coeliac disease, diabetes, glucose intolerance, ear grommets, epilepsy, gastric reflux, gout, hiatus hernia, hip/ knee replacement, hypertension, menopause, underactive/overactive thyroid” be assessed – meaning your ability to get travel insurance for your stroke will depend on RAA’s assessment of your condition.

      As for your premium, we cannot advise you on the specific cost that will be given by RAA if your condition is covered. RAA’s product disclosure statement however, does state that “The amount We charge You for this insurance policy is the total amount of the premium that We calculate to cover the risk and any relevant government charges…” meaning your premium is likely to increase if you are covered for a pre-existing medical condition.

      If you are enquiring about travel insurance in general, then it depends on each insurer. Most travel insurance providers will require a medical assessment to cover pre-existing medical conditions like stroke and will adjust their premiums accordingly. You can read more about getting travel insurance for pre-existing medical conditions.

      I hope this helps,


  2. Default Gravatar
    PeterJuly 24, 2015

    We have travel insurance with RAA.How can I find our number or details of our policy?

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      RichardJuly 27, 2015Staff

      Hi Peter and Margaret,

      Thanks for your question. finder.com.au is a comparison service and not an insurer. You’ll need to contact RAA directly. They can be reached by calling 08 8202 4567.

      I hope this was helpful,

  3. Default Gravatar
    leonJanuary 30, 2015

    where can I download a claim form for overseas travel insurance

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      ShirleyJanuary 30, 2015Staff

      Hi Leon,

      Thanks for your question.

      RAA Travel Insurance doesn’t offer this option, you’ll need to call them to make a claim and get more specifics regarding your plan


  4. Default Gravatar
    ChrisSeptember 17, 2014

    I would like to know the cost of car hire excess insurance for 10 days,car hire will be in Cairns Qld

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      RichardSeptember 22, 2014Staff

      Hi Chris,

      Thanks for your question. You should contact RAA to find out that information. You can either call them or send them a message.

      I hope that was helpful,

  5. Default Gravatar
    peterSeptember 6, 2014

    Re motor bike tour in india – any extra cost? Tour is for 10 days in november. Thanks. Peter

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      ShirleySeptember 8, 2014Staff

      Hi Peter,

      Thanks for your question.

      You can’t add cover for your motorbike with an RAA travel insurance package. You can only add a cover if you’re hiring a rental car. If you’d like, you can fill in our travel insurance policy form to get in touch with an insurance broker, who can help you find the right cover for your trip.

      All the best,

Go to site