RAA Travel Insurance
Get cover for domestic and international trips with RAA Travel Insurance.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder .
RAA has been around for more than 115 years, providing South Australians with car, home and travel insurance. An RAA travel insurance policy can cover you for medical expenses, trip cancellations, lost or stolen luggage and much more. Plus, when you sign up, you get access to RAA membership discounts which can include everything from money off your insurance premiums to free movie tickets.
Compare your travel insurance quotes
Made a search before? Retrieve your search results
Type or Select your destination(s)
Who is RAA Travel Insurance?
RAA was founded 75 years ago and is one of the leading insurers in South Australia. When the company was first established, it was just an agency placing all business with Lloyd’s of London. In 1987 RAA began to create and underwrite its own insurance products.
In 2002 Suncorp Metway and RAA merged into RAA Insurance Limited as a joint venture company, using the products of RAA insurance. In 2010 RAA bought Suncorp Metway and is now a leading general insurer in South Australia.
As a general insurance provider RAA has developed a diverse range of products, from motor vehicle to home and contents, from valuables to pleasure craft and from caravan to travel insurance. All the products, including of course RAA Travel Insurance, are distributed through the RAA office network across South Australia and in Broken Hill, and also through a call centre located in Adelaide.
RAA Travel Insurance policies are competitively priced offering a range of extra benefits, such as special rates and discounts in case of reduced insurance risk or loyalty.
What policies can I choose from with RAA Travel Insurance?
RAA Travel Insurance offers three types of plan tailored to domestic and international trips.
- Domestic plans: RAA's Comprehensive Domestic policy covers you for cancellation fees and lost deposits resulting from illness or accidents (with no benefit limits), plus gives you more towards a rental car excess in the case of accident, damage or theft (up to $5,000).
- International plans. You can choose from a Basic Plan, Essentials, or Premium. These policies can cover you for things like medical care, lost or stolen luggage, cancellation fees, loss of income and more
- Annual multi-trip plans. The best option if you are planning several journeys during a year. You get annual cover for more than 12 months. There is a maximum duration limit to any one trip (30, 45 or 60 days). The shorter the duration, the cheaper the policy.
What levels of cover are available with an RAA international travel insurance policy?
RAA's International Travel Insurance policy types can be broken down into three levels of cover:
- Premium. RAA's most comprehensive plan offering an extensive range of different benefits such as emergency medical and dental treatment, emergency travel and accommodation, trip cancellation, etc. This included $20,000 towards funeral expenses overseas, $15,000 towards luggage and $10,400 towards loss of income.
- Essentials. This policy is ideal for domestic travel or for budget travellers who don't want the same cover requirements. You will get essential coverage conditions, such as emergency medical and dental costs and trip cancellation costs but limits are generally lower; for example, $15,000 towards funeral expenses, $7,500 towards luggage and $5,200 towards loss of income.
- Basics. RAA's cheapest option comes with essentials including unlimited medical and hospital expenses, $500 towards dental, legal liability and emergency expenses.
RAA Travel Insurance benefits
RAA Travel Insurance benefits include:
- Overseas medical and dental expenses: If during your trip you are hit by a disabling injury, sickness or disease, RAA will provide cover for medical treatment, emergency dental treatment and ambulance transportation provided outside Australia.
- Additional expenses: Will provide cover if you become sick, pass away unexpectedly or your home is destroyed by fire, earthquake or storm. Additional accommodation and additional transport expenses are covered when they arise due to unforeseen circumstances that are outside of your control.
- Amendment or cancellation costs: Provides cover for changes or cancellation of pre-paid travel arrangements such as tours, flights or accommodation due to circumstances that are outside of your control.
- Luggage and personal effects: In the event that your luggage or other personal effects are damaged or stolen, a benefit will be provided to cover the replacement costs or help cover the costs of purchasing new items.
- Ski Equipment Hire Cover: Will provide a benefit payment to cover the costs of equipment you have hired that has been damaged or stolen during the duration of the trip.
- Travel documents: Benefit provided for replacement of travel documents and credit cards lost or stolen during the journey.
- Delayed luggage allowance: Benefit provided for luggage delayed by a transport provider during the journey for more than 10 hours. A $700 limit per essential emergency item will be doubled if you have not received your luggage after 72 hours.
- Money: If you have lost cash, bank or currency notes, or they have been stolen, you will be reimbursed up to a maximum of $500 depending on the plan you have chosen.
- Rental Car Insurance Excess: A benefit for any rental car insurance excess can be paid if you become liable to pay as a result of damage to or theft of the rental car.
- Travel delay: Benefit provided if there is a delay of pre-booked a transport arrangement.
- Resumption of journey: In the event that you are forced to return home due to unexpected illness, injury or death of a family member, RAA will provide a benefit payment to enable you to resume your journey.
- Hospital incidentals: Will provide cover of hospital incidentals to a maximum of $50 per day. Keep in mind that this depends on the maximum limit of your policy.
- Loss of income: Benefit provided if you suffer any injury caused solely and directly by violent, accidental, visible and external means and if you are unable to attend work in Australia.
- Disability: Benefit payment provided if you suffer any injury caused solely and directly by violent, accidental, visible and external means that results in permanent loss or use of one or more limbs.
- Accidental death: Benefit provided for accidental death of the policyholder.
- Personal liability: Benefit provided if you are covered in case of damage caused to someone else’s property or the injury or death of someone else.
Additional cover options available with RAA Travel Insurance
RAA Travel Insurance has the following additional cover options to consider during application:
- Excess options: You have the power to choose your excess. The higher the excess, the lower the premium. This option is not available on all policies.
- Luggage item limits: You may increase the level of cover applied to the cover limit for different luggage items.
- Skiing, snowboarding and snowmobiling: Take out extra cover for winter sports activities.
Extending your RAA Travel Insurance Policy
In the event that you wish to wish to extend your period of cover for longer than the original period of travel, you will be require to purchase a new policy prior to the expiration date on the original certificate of insurance. It is worth noting that in the event you suffer a new medical condition during the original period of insurance, this will be considered a pre-existing medical condition under the new contract of insurance and therefore may be excluded from cover.
What sports and activities will RAA Travel Insurance Cover?
RAA Provides automatic cover for a comprehensive list of different activities while you are away. These include:
- Hot Air Ballooning
- Bungy Jumping
- Flying Fox
- Horse Riding
- Jet Boating
- Jet Skiing
- White Water Rafting
- Working Holidays
Conditions apply for when a benefit will be paid for each of the activities listed.
Existing medical conditions
Existing medical conditions and pregnancy are not covered unless specifically approved by RAA and may incur an additional benefit payment.
An existing medical condition is recognises as:
- “Any physical defect, condition, illness or disease for which treatment, medication, surgery or advice has been received or prescribed by a medical practitioner, dental or health professional in the 180 days prior to the relevant time”
- “Any chronic or ongoing (whether chronic or otherwise medical condition, illness medically documented prior to the relevant time”
Relevant time is recognised as:
- The time of issue of the policy for single trip policies
- In case of Multi-annual trip plan, the first time any part of the relevant trip is paid
As previously mentioned, there are three categories of pre-existing medical conditions:
- Conditions automatically covered for free (i.e. acne, allergies, asthma, cataracts, glaucoma, coeliac disease, diabetes, glucose intolerance, ear grommets, epilepsy, gastric reflux, gout, hiatus hernia, hip/ knee replacement, hypertension, menopause, underactive/overactive thyroid)
- Conditions that cannot be covered (i.e. back, neck, alcohol or drug dependence, travels for medical treatment, any yet to be diagnosed conditions, etc
- Conditions that have to be accessed (all the medical conditions not stated in the two previous cases
Making a Claim with RAA Travel Insurance
RAA's emergency assistance team is available 24/7 so you can call them anytime for assistance on +61 2 8055 1698 (they'll accept reverse charges from the overseas operator).
To lodge a claim, you can contact the claims team on 1300 207 365 or do it online following these steps:
- Make sure you register and set up a password by using the email address you used to buy your RAA policy.
- Complete your claim details and upload any relevant documentation related to it
- Once you've submitted your claim, RAA will get back to you within 10 working days and let you know if they need anymore information from you.
RAA Travel Insurance Frequently Asked Questions
Interested in applying for RAA Travel Insurance?
If the cover benefits offered on the different RAA travel cover plans sound like a suitable fit for your trip, you can purchase cover entirely online via the RAA website. RAA has taken great steps to ensure your card details remain safe throughout the entire transaction process. Cover can be put in place in as little as 10 minutes provided you do not have any special conditions to disclose. finder.com.au always recommends that anyone taking out travel cover take the time to review the terms and conditions stated in the product disclosure statement prior to application to be crystal clear on exactly when they will and will not be covered and the conditions for claim payment.
More guides on Finder
RAA Travel Insurance promo code October 2020
These discount codes for RAA travel insurance allow you to compare deals now.
Ask an Expert