Cheap Mobile Plans
Looking for a cheap mobile plan? We've got your back with these plans under $20.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Picking a cheap plan is no different to picking a high cost one, although you do have to hunt around to make the most of your meagre spend. Many plans with great inclusions at this budget are prepaid, meaning you'll never have to pay excess usage fees.
Compare cheap mobile plans for under $20 here
If you're looking for a cheap mobile plan to get you through every season, consider these plans under $20. While $20 might not seem like much, many providers offer great deals on data if you're a new customer.
How to choose a cheap mobile plan
Picking a cheap mobile plan is finding a balance between what you absolutely need and what you can go without. Here are the top things to consider when you're browsing through cheap mobile plans.
- Data. Data's the biggest contributor to cost for any mobile plan, so keeping it low can save you heaps. Just remember that if you're routinely going to break your limit, a cheap plan will end up being significantly more expensive and less worthwhile.
- Consider MVNOs. Purchasing a plan with a big carrier like Telstra or Optus brings some brand security and neat features, but they usually won't be the cheapest choice. Instead, consider going with an MVNO that uses their networks for a more affordable option.
- Extras. Cheap plans tend to pare down on the bonus features you get like free streaming or other goodies. These extras can be nice, but only if you're going to take advantage of them. Leave them out and save.
- Downgrade your contract. Even if you're locked into a long-term phone contract, you might be able to save. Most providers will let you switch between a specific set of plans without breaking your contract, allowing you to downgrade to a cheaper one.
- Watch billing periods. Some prepaid plans come with 28-day recharge periods, while others offer the full month. 28-day expiry periods will end up costing you at least an extra recharge fee per year.
- Talk minutes. The cheapest mobile plans (usually under $10) can limit how many minutes of calls you can make, even within Australia. If chatting is important to you, steer clear.
Circles.Life 100GB for $38 SIM-Only PlanOver 20% off for 12 months - pay $30 for 100GB of data per month. Plan reverts to $38 for 100GB per month after 12 months. T&Cs apply.
Are prepaid or postpaid plans better if I want a cheaper deal?
While neither type of plan is inherently cheaper, you'll always know what you're paying with a prepaid plan since your service gets cut off when you hit your limit. Here's a quick rundown of how they compare.
|Payment made||At the beginning of the month||At the end of the month|
|Plan value||Moderate||Usually better in terms of data per dollar|
|Excess data charges||Never||Can be quite excessive|
What other options are there for cheap mobile plans?
Some of the cheapest possible plans are expressly designed for people who rarely use their phones or who just don't use much data at all. Many providers have long-expiry plans where you purchase a certain amount of credit and then are charged for each call you make, text you send or bit of data that you use.
See our guide to browse through the best-value long-expiry mobile plans on offer.
More guides on Finder
Pay as you go mobile plans
Pay as you go mobile plans are a great way to save money if you don't use your phone very often.
OptusPay: How does it work?
OptusPay is a straightforward payment plan system. Here's how it works in four steps.
Optus OPPO plans
Enjoy “unlimited” data on the latest OPPO phones from Optus.
Prepaid vs postpaid plans
You might be surprised to find out that there's not much difference between the two mobile plan types.
Telstra international roaming
You can get international roaming on most of Telstra’s postpaid mobile plans for just $10 a day.
Why mobile plans are nearly 20% cheaper than a year ago
It’s never been a better time to switch mobile plans than now. Prices have dropped by 17% compared to last year, and over 50% since 5 years ago.
MyNetFone business mobile plans
MyNetFone offers a range of mobile plans for your business, with a dedicated app to keep track of your spending.
Wi-Fi Dongle and Pocket Wi-Fi Plans
Wi-Fi dongles and pocket Wi-Fi are an easy way for you to get connected to the Internet while you're out and about.
Black Friday 2020: Best mobile plan deals
Top deals include 500GB for $55 from Vodafone, triple the data from Circles.Life and 50% off amaysim long expiry plans.
TPG vs iiNet: Which has better plans?
Can't decide between TPG and iiNet? We've compared the two over a range of categories to find out which provider is better.
Latest mobile plan deals on Finder
Get no excess data charges on these unlimited data mobile plans.
Avoid bill shock and control your spending with the best-value offers.
Ask an Expert