Buy and sell shares on-the-go with a share trading app
Share trading apps let you place trades and manage your stocks.
Smartphones are perhaps the most ubiquitous form of modern technology. Not only do we take our phones everywhere with us, but we use them to perform an increasingly diverse array of crucial everyday tasks.
Share trading apps allow you to trade shares directly on the ASX and other international markets. With many share trading platforms now providing smartphone apps for their customers, the process of trading shares, tracking trades and accessing live data is easier than ever.
Some of the most popular share trading apps include:
- The CommSec app
- nabtrade IRESS mobile app
- Westpac Online Investing app
- CMC Markets Stockbroking mobile app
- Bell Direct mobile app
- IG Trading app
We'll take a look at these share trading apps in more detail in this guide.
1. CommSec app
The CommSec app allows you to access the CommSec share trading platform through your iPhone, iPad or Android smartphone. The app allows you to buy and sell shares, view and trade on live prices, and create watchlists to monitor company performance.
You also have the convenience of being able to view all your equities, margin lending holdings and CommBank cash balances in a single page view.
- It's free to download. The CommSec app is available for free for people who have CommSec Trading Accounts.
- You can create watchlists. You can use the app to create watchlists and monitor the performance of different shares.
- You can trade more than just shares. CommSec also offers free apps for trading equities and CFDs.
- Place orders. You can place buy orders directly within the app, without needing to login on your desktop at all.
- Available for Apple and Android only. The app is not available on phones and tablets that do not run the Android or Apple operating system.
2. nabtrade IRESS mobile app
Designed for both Android and iPhone devices, nabtrade IRESS mobile is a share trading-specific app available to customers with a nabtrade account. The app allows you to buy or sell shares from your smartphone, including the ability to place contingent orders, access live prices, market depth and charts.
You can also view your Trading Account holdings, view your orders and order status, see the top ASX gainers and losers, and access customisable charts.
- You can access a range of information. nabtrade IRESS mobile allows you to access an extensive range of useful trading information before buying or selling a share.
- You can access live data. You can access live market data refreshed at a time interval of your choice.
- Hedge your risk with contingent orders. The app offers a range of trading options, including the use of contingent orders.
- Only Androids and iPhones. You’ll need an iPhone or a smartphone running the Android operating system in order to access this app.
3. Westpac Online Investing app
The Westpac Online Investing app is designed for iPhone, iPad and Android users and is optimised for use on smartphones. The trading-specific app allows you to trade shares, warrants, exchange traded funds (ETFs) and exchange traded commodities (ETCs).
You can use the app to create editable watchlists, view live quotes and news, view all your holdings and set up a wide range of customised alerts.
- You can trade more than shares. In addition to shares, the app allows you to trade warrants, ETFs and ETCs.
- You can access live data to make investment decisions. Westpac Online Investing’s mobile app allows you to access live quotes, charts, company announcements and news.
- There are customisable alerts. You can receive alerts for everything from price movements and market-sensitive announcements to dividend dates.
- Not for Windows phones. The app cannot be accessed through a Windows phone.
4. CMC Markets Stockbroking mobile app
This trading app offers all the functionality of the CMC Markets full website on your mobile device. You can buy and sell shares from your mobile using all order types, including conditional and linked orders. The app also lets you view your current positions and order history, access market depth and up-to-date charts, and view your watchlists and portfolios.
CMC Markets’ mobile platform also provides the latest market news and commentary and is available on iPhone and Android devices.
- A wide range of order types. You can place, buy and sell orders, amend and cancel orders, and use conditional and linked orders to manage your investments.
- Information from the market and experts. CMC Markets provides users with access to an extensive range of useful investment information to help you make the right trading decisions.
- Customise your own watchlists. It’s easy to create and edit watchlists to monitor the performance of stocks.
- Most suitable for experienced traders. The CMC Markets platform is designed for experienced traders and may be too complicated for novice investors.
5. Bell Direct mobile app
The Bell Direct Mobile App is a web-based platform available for iPhone and Android users. It allows you to buy and sell shares, access real-time data and market depth, and read the latest company research reports.
You can also enjoy access to live news feeds and company announcements, edit watch screens and track your portfolio.
- It's easy to use. The app makes it simple and intuitive to buy and sell shares.
- You get access to market data. Users can access a wide range of important market data before placing a trade.
- It's free to download. The app is available for free to Bell Direct clients.
- iPhone only. The app is not available on Windows or Android phones.
6. IG Trading app
IG offers a suite of trading apps designed to give you the best mobile trading experience across a range of devices. There are separate apps optimised for use on each of the following devices: iPhone, Android mobile, Windows phone, iPad, Android tablet and Windows tablet.
The app is free to download and provides access to 10,000 markets. You can use the IG app to access live market data and analysis, and trade forex, CFDs, indices and commodities.
- It's free to download. The IG app is completely free to download.
- It uses native designs. You can download a version of the app that has been specifically designed to suit your smartphone or tablet’s operating system.
- The app is regularly updated. The app is updated regularly to improve your trading experience.
- Not suitable for casual investors. The IG app is targeted more towards experienced traders than casual investors.
Linking your account to a share trading app
In order to use a share trading app, you will first need to open an account with an online share trading platform. Once you’ve provided your details and opened an online account, you can then download a share trading app to your smartphone and login using the same account details.
The share trading app is linked to your online trading account. This means you can check your trading balance, monitor the status of pending orders and view past trades through the app.
Not sure which platform to choose? Compare your share trading options
Have you had these questions about share trading apps?
Ask an Expert