Enjoy competitive spreads and commissions when you trade everything from shares and forex to CFDs and bonds with Saxo Capital Markets.
If you want worldwide market access to a wide range of trading opportunities all from the one account, Saxo Capital Markets is well worth a look. While some online trading platforms limit their trading access to a specific asset class, such as shares or forex, Saxo Capital Markets allows you to trade an extensive range of assets on markets all around the world. When you open an account with Saxo Capital Markets, you can trade over 182 forex pairs, 9,000 CFDs, 3,100 exchange traded funds (ETFs), 19,000 stocks on 36 global exchanges and much more.
Saxo Capital Markets is a part of Saxo Bank Group, which was established in 1992. It aims to provide ordinary investors with the same tools and global market access that professional traders enjoy.
What can I trade with Saxo Capital Markets?
Saxo Capital Markets allows you to trade the following asset classes, all from the one account:
- Forex. Saxo account holders can trade over 182 currency crosses, including major, minor and exotic currency pairs. Spreads start from as low as 0.2 pips plus commissions and you can choose from four different pricing plans based on the volume you trade. It also offers non-deliverable forwards (NDFs) for 10 Asian and Latin American currencies to help you manage your currency risk.
- FX options. Saxo lets you trade a wide range of forex options, including puts and calls in 40 currency pairs. All trades are backed by competitive pricing and tight spreads.
- CFDs. You can enjoy access to more than 9,000 CFDs, including single stocks, stock indices and commodities. You can trade with up to 50:1 leverage and if you make more than 100 trades per month, commissions are as low as US$7 per trade.
- Stocks. Saxo customers can buy and sell more than 19,000 stocks on 36 stock exchanges around the world. A multi-currency account allows you to seize investment opportunities when they arise and if you make more than 100 trades per month, commissions are as low as US$7 per trade.
- Stock options. You also have the opportunity to trade stock options on an extensive range of global markets. This means you can trade options on stocks and stock indices on markets throughout Europe, the US and the Asia Pacific region, while also taking advantage of competitive pricing.
- ETFs and ETCs. Saxo offers access to more than 3,100 ETFs and ETCs (exchange traded commodities) on 36 global markets. Commissions start from US$0.01 per share.
- Futures. Saxo offers more than 200 futures contracts across 22 global exchanges, providing access to a diverse range of asset classes and volume-based commissions.
- Contract options. You can trade 75 different contract options with Saxo to take advantage of market volatility. There are no hidden fees and you can access assets as diverse as metals, interest rates and currencies.
- Bonds. Using Saxo’s award-winning trading platform, SaxoTraderGO, you can enjoy direct access to live prices from global bonds providers. Starting from US$3,000, you can trade US and European government and corporate bonds, plus access markets in the Asia-Pacific, the Middle East, Latin America and North Africa.
What are the best things about Saxo Capital Markets?
There are many benefits to online trading with Saxo Capital Markets, including:
- Customer service. Saxo Trader Account holders can access 24/5 customer assistance and technical support. If you ever have a question or a problem with a trade, you can access the help you need via phone or email, or use the online support centre.
- Available markets. One of the major benefits of trading with Saxo is the extensive access it offers to asset classes all around the world. 182 forex pairs, 9,000 CFDs and 19,000 stocks on 36 global exchanges.
- Competitive spreads and commissions. When you trade with Saxo Capital Markets, you can take advantage of forex spreads from 0.2 pips, stock and CFD commissions starting at 5 bps and futures and options commissions starting from $1.50.
- Order types. Market, limit and stop orders can be placed on all products except bonds and OOTC/OTCBB exchanges. Quick Trade, Immediate or Cancel orders can be placed on FX spot and forward orders, as well as some CFDs. Trailing stop and stop limits can be placed on stocks and futures.
- Market data. Saxo offers live prices for forex traders and delayed prices for all exchange traded products. However, live prices for exchange traded products are available on subscription.
- Stock research tools. Account holders can also access a range of tools to help them choose the right stocks, including extensive research, company snapshots, market movers and stock screening on more than 250 criteria.
Service levels of Saxo Capital Markets
Saxo Capital Markets offers two types of accounts: SaxoTrader and SaxoTraderGO. SaxoTraderGO is designed for investors and traders, while SaxoTrader is designed to suit advanced traders.
When you open an account there are three service levels to choose from: Classic, Premium and Platinum. The table below outlines the differences between the levels:
|Access to all platforms||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Access to all trading products||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|24/5 customer service||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Free access to TradeMaker (forex and CFD real-time trade idea generator)||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Free access to TradeMentor (trading education program)||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Free extended news and research||No||Yes||Yes|
|24/5 dedicated account executive service||No||Yes||Yes|
|FX options as tight as interbank spreads||No||No||Yes|
|Preferred customer service||No||No||Yes|
What support and information is available with Saxo Capital Markets?
Saxo Capital Markets offers 24/5 customer service and technical support to its customers, with Platinum account holders given preferred customer service. There’s also an online support centre that features a number of frequently asked questions to help you find the answer you’re looking for.
To get more out of your account, Saxo also offers an online education section full of articles, videos and tutorials. These are available for free and can help you increase your trading knowledge.
What are the fees associated with using Saxo Capital Markets?
There are no service fees either for using a Saxo trading platform or for any membership level. However, different commissions and spreads apply depending on the assets you trade.
For example, when trading forex you can choose from one of three volume price plans: FX60 (commission of US$60 per million traded with no monthly minimum), FX30 (commission of US$30 per million traded with US$600 monthly minimum) and FX20 (commission of US$20 per million traded with US$2,000 monthly minimum). Alternatively, you can choose an FX All-inclusive price plan, which does not impose any additional volume-based commission on trades.
When trading CFDs, fees vary depending on whether you are a Standard trader or an Active trader (placing more than 100 trades per month). The table below shows how fees and spreads differ:
|CFD single stock – Commission from|
|ASX||0.10% (minimum AUD$8)||0.05% (minimum AUD$5)|
|NASDAQ and NYSE||US$0.01 per share (minimum US$9.90)||US$0.007 per share (minimum US$7)|
|London Stock Exchanges||0.10% (minimum GBP£8)||0.05% minimum (GBP£8)|
|CFD Index Tracker – Minimum spreads|
|ASX 200||1.5||From 1.4|
|US SPX500||0.9||From 0.4|
|Japan 225||12||From 8|
If you trade stocks, prices once again vary depending on whether you are a Standard or Active trader.
|London Stock Exchange||0.10% (minimum GBP£8)||0.05% (minimum GBP£8)|
|NASDAQ and NYSE||US$0.01 per share (minimum US$9.90)||US$0.007 per share (minimum US$7)|
|XETRA||0.10% (minimum EUR€12)||0.05% (minimum EUR€9)|
|ASX||0.10% (minimum AUD$9.90)||0.05% (minimum AUD$7.90)|
What are the pros and cons of using Saxo Capital Markets for my next trade?
- Market access. Saxo provides access to a huge range of asset classes and financial instruments all around the world.
- 24/5 customer support. 24/5 customer support accessible via phone and email, combined with an online support centre to ensure that help is never far away.
- Competitive pricing. Compare Saxo’s price structure with commissions and spreads charged by other online trading platforms to see how it stacks up against the competition.
- Complex. Saxo’s products are targeted at more experienced traders, so they may be a little too complex for some customers.
What you need to know about the application process for Saxo Capital Markets
You can apply online or request a paper-based application form. During the application process you will need to provide:
- Your full name
- Your email address and phone number
- Your date of birth
- Proof of ID
- Details about your net worth
- Your choice of primary account currency
- Your nominated bank account details
Your application will be processed as quickly as possible so you can start trading.
Help! I have some more questions
Can I open a demo account?
Yes, you can trial the platform for free by opening a 20-day demo account.
How do I access Saxo’s trading platforms?
SaxoTrader is available as a download for Windows, while SaxoTraderGO can be accessed through any HTML5 web browser.
How do I find the financial instrument I want to trade through the Saxo trading platform?
Simply search for the name of the stock, FX cross or other financial instrument you want to find.
Can I open a joint account?
Yes, this option is also available.