GIO Travel Insurance Review
Every year travellers are left financially devastated after suffering an unexpected loss while away. This loss may be in the form of serious injury, loss or damage to luggage and personal belongings or trip cancellation. Travel Insurance provides the piece of mind that if you run into trouble overseas, 24 hour support is available. It is imperative that you are not only happy with the policy that you choose but also the travel insurer as they will be the ones you will be dealing with in the event that a claim is made. One insurance group worth considering for your next trip away is GIO.
Who is GIO?
GIO is an Australian home and motor insurer. Owned by the Suncorp Group, it offers a range of different insurance products including car, home and contents, CTP, boat, caravan, travel, business, public liability and workers compensation. Cover is offered primarily in the states of New South Wales and the Australian Capital Territory.
It has maintained a strong commitment to the local community and currently supports organisations such as Fire and Rescue NSW, NSW Rugby League, Wheelchair Sports NSW and Youngcare.
The insurance products sold by GIO General Limited are:
- Car insurance
- CTP insurance
- Home insurance
- Boat insurance
- Motorcycle insurance
- Caravan insurance
- Life insurance
- Travel insurance
- Business insurance
- Workers compensation
GIO offers also other products including commercial vehicle insurance.
GIO Travel Insurance has two main product options:
- Holiday Travel Insurance
- Annual Multi-trip Travel Insurance
The Holiday Travel Insurance provides a comprehensive cover and a 24-hour emergency medical and travel assistance service and therefore includes also:
- Overseas medical and dental expenses
- Unlimited cancellation charges
- Cover for loss of personal baggage and clothing
- Choice of single or family policy
- Cash allowance while in hospital
- Personal legal liability cover up to $5 million
Besides the basic coverage, there are also some added benefits:
- Additional expenses for transport and accommodation
- Resuming your journey
- Delayed transport, accommodation and meal expenses
- Emergency clothing and toiletries due to delayed baggage
- Loss of travel documents
- Unauthorised use of credit cards
- Accidental death
- Special event cancellation expenses
- Hire car insurance excess
The Annual Multi-trip Travel Insurance is suitable for those travellers who travel three or more times a year. This can be a much more convenient and affordable option to taking out a single trip policy for each trip. This policy provides cover for an unlimited number of trips in any 12-month period provided trips are no longer than 90 days in length.
In addition to the coverage of Holiday Travel Insurance, it also offers:
- Loss of income
- Increased cover for loss of personal baggage
- Substitute person to complete your business
- Annual policy covering unlimited trips for the year
GIO Travel Insurance Policy Options
When you buy the Holiday Travel Insurance, you have to select either a Single Policy or Family Policy. A Single Policy covers only the insured person stated on the policy contract, and up to one child or grandchild who accompanies them on their journey.
A Family Policy covers the persons named as the insured and their husband/wife or de-facto partner, their children or grandchildren who accompany them on the journey.
Additionally, you must also select the region that will cover the countries you are visiting on your journey:
- Region 1: Worldwide
- Region 2: Worldwide, excluding cover for USA, Canada, Japan and Africa
- Region 3: East Asia including Region 4 and 5 countries
- Region 4: South Pacific including Region 5
- Region 5: Australia – overseas medical and dental expenses not included
Cover can be taken out as single or group family cover.
The period of insurance begins from the date you commence each journey or the travel commencement date as shown on your schedule of insurance and ends at the earliest of the following times:
- When you can complete the journey or
- The expiry of 90 days following commencement of the journey or
- On the expiry date shown on your schedule
GIO Travel Insurance Benefits
The Holiday Travel Insurance has the following cover features:
- Cancelled travel and accommodation expenses: unlimited reasonable expenses are covered if they are due to unforeseen circumstances outside your control. In the event of cancellation, the actual travel agent’s cancellation fee is covered up to $1,000 or 10% or the cost of the cancelled travel.
- Overseas medical and dental expenses: unlimited reasonable expenses are covered if the they are incurred outside Australia due to an illness or injury that occurred within 12 months from the first date the injury or the illness first occurred.
- Additional transport and accommodation expenses: unlimited reasonable expenses are covered, less any amounts that are recoverable on unused transport and accommodation vouchers or tickets, if you cannot complete the journey or in case of death, injury or sickness of your relative or travel companion.
- Cash paid when you are in hospital: $100 for every day that you are an inpatient in a hospital, to a maximum of $6,000.
- Delayed transport – Accommodation and meal expenses: if the cause of the delay is outside your control and the transport provider has delayed your journey for 12 hours or more, you are covered up to $250 for each 12 hour period of delay, up to a maximum of $1,000 in total.
- Personal baggage and travel documents: loss, damage or theft that occurs to your personal baggage, clothing or personal effects during your journey are covered up to $6,000 for all claims.
- Accidental death: if you die during your journey or as a direct result of an injury occurred during your journey, GIO will pay up to $25,000 for all claims.
- Personal liability: compensation up to $5 million for all claims arising from one event will be paid if a court orders you to pay compensation in the event of injury, death or damages to property owned or controlled by someone else.
- Disability: if your injury results in a permanent and total loss of sight in one or both eyes or in a permanent and total loss of use of one or more limbs, expenses up to $10,000 are covered.
- Resumption of journey: a sum up to $2,000 will be paid if you had to return to Australia if a relative unexpectedly died, became sick, suffered an illness or injury.
- Special event cancellations expenses: if you are unable to attend a special event due to any unforeseen circumstances outside your control, GIO will reimburse you the cost of unused special events tickets up to $500 for all claims.
- Delayed baggage – emergency purchase: In the event of at least 12 hours- delay or if you transport provider declares your baggage missing, you are covered up to $250 for each 12 hour period your baggage is delayed up to a maximum of $500 in total for all claims.
The Annual Multi-Trip Travel Insurance has the same benefits of the Holiday Travel Insurance policy with some additional benefits:
- Personal baggage and travel documents: loss, damage or theft is covered up to $8,000 for all claims.
- Loss of income: if you suffer from an injury during your journey and you are not able to perform your work, the amount of your lost income is covered up to $1,000 per month to a maximum of $10,000 for all claims.
- Substitute person to complete your business: if travelling for business purposes, the expenses for transport and accommodation of a substitute person are covered up to $10,000 for all claims.
GIO Travel Insurance Claims Process
In the event of a claim you must call, fax or email GIO’s claims department as soon as possible.
You will be required to send at your own expense all of the necessary information and documentation such as;
- Original medical and dental certificates
- Specialist doctor reports
- Police reports
- Airline, train, bus or transport tickets and luggage tags
- Any court or legal documents or communication you receive about the claim
Once all the documentation has been delivered to the company, they will accept or refuse the claim within 10 business days from the reception of all the necessary documentation.
If the claim is accepted, the GIO will calculate the amount of the claim considering the amount of loss or damage or liability, the excess, the policy limit and the terms and conditions of the policy.
If the claim is accepted, GIO also has the right to make or accept any offer or payment, or in any other way admit you are liable, settle, or attempt to settle, any claim or defend any claim.
If your property is stolen or maliciously damaged, you must make a report to the police or local Government authority within 24 hours of the loss or damage becoming known to you and send a copy to GIO.
If your property or damaged property is lost or damaged when it is with the transport provider, you must also make a report to the transport provider within 72 hours of the loss or damage becoming known to you. Then you have to send the copy to GIO.