Bupa Travel Insurance Review
How does Bupa Travel Insurance compare?
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Important:Travel insurance rules continue to change as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. We’re working hard to keep up and make sure our guides are up to date, however some information may not be accurate during the pandemic. It’s even more important to double-check all details that matter to you before taking out cover. Please know that some policies may not be available through Finder at this time. Here are some helpful tips:
- If you're buying a policy today, it's unlikely that you'll be covered for any coronavirus-related claims
- If your travel plans go against government advice, your policy will most likely be voided and you won't be covered
Compare your travel insurance quotes
Made a search before? Retrieve your search results
Type or Select your destination(s)
What travel insurance policies does Bupa offer?
Bupa understands that different people have different needs, hence the need for different types of cover. You can choose from the following travel insurance policies:
- Australia Plan – Travelling around Australia is a great thrill, but it’s not without its dangers. The Australia Plan offers unlimited cover for cancellation and reschedule travel, cover for additional expenses due to travel delays as well as alternative transport to a special event, and luggage and travel documents.
- Economy Plan – Travel is not without its costs, but that doesn’t mean you need to break the bank for insurance. An Economy Plan provides the minimum level of insurance if you are travelling to New Zealand, Norfolk Island or the South Pacific iIslands, covering overseas medical expenses and evacuation, accidental death and disability, and luggage and travel documents.
- Standard Plan – Want to keep insurance simple? The Standard Plan offers higher cover than the Economy Plan and provides the minimum level of cover required if you are travelling to Asia, including Bali.
- Super Plan – If you’re travelling to the UK, Europe, South America, Russia, India, Africa or the Middle East, Super Plan provides unlimited overseas medical expenses and evacuation, as well as additional cover for cancellations, amendments, luggage and travel documents.
- Super Plus Plan – The highest level of protection available at Bupa, the Super Plus is required if you're travelling to or via the USA, Canada or Japan. It provides all the same benefits of the Super Plan with additional cover for luggage and travel documents, and rental car insurance excess.
- Select Your Cover – Bupa offers each policy as single, couple of family cover, with cover increasing to make sure your travel companions are protected too.
How do Bupa's policies compare?
|Australia Plan||Economy Plan||Standard Plan||Super Plan||Super Plus Plan|
|Cancelled or rescheduled travel|
|Resumption of overseas travel|
|Luggage and travel documents|
|Accidental death and disability|
|Hire car excess waiver|
What is excluded from my travel insurance policy?
General exclusions include:
- Travelling when you know you are unfit or against medical advice
- Failing to maintain a course of treatment while travelling
- Death, illness or injury from an existing condition (unless covered by your policy)
- Birth of a child or any pregnancy-related condition
- Treatment at a spa, nursing home or any rehabilitation centre unless agreed by QBE
- Excess medical charges
- Any consequential loss or loss of enjoyment
- A loss caused by or in connection with a criminal or dishonest act
- Any loss caused by government intervention or regulation
- Failure to take precautions after a public warning of strike, riot, civil commotion or natural disaster
- Operating a rental vehicle in an illegal or dangerous manner
- Credit card conversion fees and other bank charges
What other options are available?
- Cancellation Cover Plan – If you are travelling in either Australia or New Zealand, a Cancellation Cover Plan will protect you against any sudden cancellation of transport or special event. Cover is available in Single travel policies only.
What kinds of situations will I be covered for?
Getting travel insurance from Bupa is beneficial as it provides different types of cover for different situations. Here are some of the benefits that Bupa Travel Insurance provides in the following cases:
- My flight was cancelled - am I covered? If your journey is cancelled, delayed, rescheduled or interrupted, Bupa Travel Insurance will cover amounts that you have paid in advance for travel that is unused and you are unable to recover.
- What happens if my bags are stolen? If your luggage or travel documents are lost, damaged or stolen, your policy will pay you a limited amount depending upon the insurance cover that you have opted for.
- If I get sick overseas, are my medical expenses covered? In case you become ill, injured or need medical or dental treatment, your travel insurance policy will cover you up to the amount stated on your policy.
- Does Bupa provide a death benefit? If you die or become permanently disabled as a result of an accident caused by violent, visible and external means, Bupa Travel Insurance will pay your estate up to the maximum amount under your plan.
Always refer to the Product Disclosure Statement before you sign up for a policy.
Some reasons to consider Bupa
- Comprehensive cover. Bupa is committed to offering high-quality cover with a wide range of options to meet all your travel needs. So wherever your holiday takes you, you can relax knowing that you're covered.
- 24/7 assistance. If the unexpected happens while you’re travelling overseas, emergency help is available 24 hours a day. If you have any difficulties while you are travelling, do not hesitate to contact the Emergency Assistance Hotline and you will be able to speak with one of their multilingual and highly trained staff, who are trained to handle a range of issues.
- Discounts for existing members. Bupa health insurance members can receive up to a 15% discount on their travel insurance premiums.
If you wish to make a claim you must phone Bupa within 30 days of completing or cancelling your journey.
Phone: 13 24 80
If you have an emergency while travelling, you can contact Bupa’s Emergency Assistance Hotline.
Within Australia: (02) 8895 0694
While Overseas: +61 2 8895 0694
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Bupa travel insurance discounts and coupon codes January 2021
Bupa is an international healthcare services provider that also offers insurance to cover car, home, life and travel.
Ask an Expert