Discover the benefits of Australian Unity Travel Cover and compare policy options.
Australian Unity is a healthcare, financial services and retirement living company that looks after the finances and needs of more than 500,000 Australians. This mutual organisation has been in operation for almost 175 years and has a proud history of looking after its members.
Australian Unity offers health insurance, investment solutions, retirement living options, financial advice, home insurance, car insurance and life insurance to its customers. The company’s extensive suite of products also includes an extensive range of travel insurance options.
Designed to offer peace of mind to travellers by providing protection against a range of common risks, Australian Unity Travel Insurance is underwritten by QBE Insurance.
Losses Australian Unity Travel Insurance covers
- Cancelled or rescheduled travel. If unexpected events — for example a family member’s illness or the loss of your job — force you to cancel or amend your travel plans, you may be charged cancellation fees or be unable to have pre-paid deposits refunded.
- Additional expenses. When circumstances outside your control lead to your trip being delayed, your policy will cover the cost of the resulting additional accommodation and travel expenses you incur. Such events may include severe weather, strike or the loss of your passport.
- Minor travel delays. If your travel is delayed for more than six hours because of circumstances outside your control, the cost of additional accommodation and meals will be covered.
- Domestic pet boarding fees. If you suffer a travel delay through no fault of your own and are unable to return home on your planned date, your policy will cover additional boarding fees for your domestic pets.
- Missed connection. If a travel delay forces you to miss connecting transport to attend a special event (ie, a wedding or business conference), your policy will cover the cost of your alternative transport expenses.
- Returning you to Australia. If you need to return to Australia when a relative or business partner is ill or injured, or if your house is destroyed by a fire or flood, the cost of returning you to Australia will be covered.
- Resuming your overseas travel. In cases where you do have to immediately return to Australia, the cost of transport to resume your trip will be borne by the insurer.
- Emergency purchases of clothing and toiletries. If your luggage is misdirected, misplaced or delayed by your transport provider, you’ll receive funds to buy emergency items.
- Travel documents. If your travel documents, credit cards or travellers’ cheques are stolen during your journey, the policy will cover the cost of reissuing or replacing them.
- Video cameras, cameras and portable electronic equipment. Your policy will cover the replacement or repair of electronic items like mobile phones and laptops in the event they are lost, damaged or stolen.
- Other luggage items. The repair or replacement of your luggage items will be covered when they are lost, damaged or stolen.
- Ski or golf equipment hire. Cover for these items is available under the Super Plus plan.
- Overseas medical expenses. Your Australian Unity policy will cover your overseas medical expenses if you become ill or injured while travelling overseas.
- Overseas dental expenses. Up to $1,000 of emergency overseas dental expenses are covered.
- Cash in hospital. If you are hospitalised for more than 48 continuous hours overseas, you’ll receive an allowance to cover incidental expenses.
- Overseas evacuation costs. If you become ill or injured and need to be transported back to Australia, your insurer will take care of the cost involved.
- Accommodation and travel expenses. If your trip is delayed due to illness or injury, your policy will cover the cost of additional accommodation and travel expenses.
- Accidental death and disability. A lump sum benefit will be paid if you die or become permanently disabled as a result of an accident during your journey.
- Funeral expenses. Cover is offered for your overseas funeral or cremation costs, or the cost of returning your remains to Australia.
- Loss of income. If you are involved in an accident overseas and are unable to return to work when you get home, you’ll be covered for the resulting loss of income.
- Liability cover. If you are deemed legally liable for causing bodily injury or property damage to a third party, your policy will cover your legal liability.
- Hire vehicle excess waiver. Your policy will help cover your insurance excess if your rental car is crashed, stolen or damaged.
- Return of a hire vehicle. This feature provides cover if you are unfit to return your hire vehicle.
- Hijack. If you are travelling on public transport overseas and it is hijacked, you’ll receive a benefit for every 24 hours you are detained.
- Mugging. You’ll be covered if you are injured and hospitalised as a result of a mugging overseas.
Australian Unity general exclusions
A number of exclusions apply to Australian Unity Travel Insurance. Your claim will not be paid if:
- Your loss is covered under any other policy or scheme, for example a workers’ compensation scheme.
- Your claim arises from a pre-existing medical condition.
- Your claim is for an accident, illness or disease and you are over 70 years of age.
- Your claim is related to pregnancy or childbirth and you are more than 24 weeks along.
- You fail to take reasonable care to safeguard yourself or your property.
- You fail to take reasonable care to minimise your loss.
- Your claim relates to any act of violence or intentional damage by you.
- Your claim relates to motorcycling, unless the driver has a current Australian motorcycle licence.
- Your claim relates to f]hunting, racing, polo, professional sports, off piste skiing, diving, hang gliding, rock climbing etc.
- You or your travelling companion decide that you simply no longer want to travel.
- You ignored a government or mass media warning against travelling to a particular area.
- Your claim arises from suicide or attempted suicide.
- Your claim is related to sexually transmitted diseases.
- It is the result of an unlawful act of you.
- It relates to you being under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- It relates to you breaching a government regulation.
- It arises because of the insolvency of a travel agent, tour operator or accommodation provider.
How do I apply for Australian Unity Travel Insurance?
- Compare Policy Options: The first step to taking out a policy with Australian Unity is to compare and choose the plan that best matches your individual needs. This decision will of course be influenced by where you are travelling to and the level of cover you require.
- Select Type of Cover Required: Next, decide on the type of cover you are after. Then consider whether you need cover for pre-existing medical conditions or if you are more than 80 years of age. This will involve undergoing a medical assessment to help the insurer determine your level of risk.
How to make a claim with Australian Unity
- Contact Australian Unity: If something goes wrong on your journey and you need to make a claim, QBE (the underwriter). The insurer can offer immediate assistance when it comes to lodging a claim and can be contacted 24 hours a day, seven days a week. However, it’s important to remember that you must inform your insurer of any claims within 30 days of completing or cancelling your journey.
- Provide Necessary Documentation: Next you’ll need to provide any information QBE requires to settle your claim. This may include original medical, dental or police reports; valuations; receipts; and other evidence of ownership. In terms of medical expenses, you’ll need written confirmation of your illness or injury from a medical practitioner. If your luggage is stolen, remember to report the theft to the police and obtain a copy of any report.
- Payment of Benefit: Once your claim has been processed, the insurer will pay a benefit amount to you or your beneficiaries.
Australian Unity Travel Insurance offers affordable and competitive cover to suit a variety of travellers. However, make sure to compare the company’s offerings with other products on the market to ensure you end up with the right policy for your holiday.