We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Important:Travel insurance rules continue to change as a result of the pandemic. Some information may not be accurate at this time. It’s even more important to double-check all details that matter to you before taking out cover. Please note:
- Some policies may not be available through Finder at this time
- It’s unlikely that your policy will cover expenses from border closures
As the world's largest publicly traded property and casualty insurance company, Chubb offers a wide range of insurance products and services in 54 countries. It has been operating in Australia for over 50 years and its policies are underwritten by Chubb Insurance Australia Limited.
Compare your travel insurance quotes
Made a search before? Retrieve your search results
Type or Select your destination(s)
What policies does Chubb Travel Insurance offer?
Chubb Travel Insurance is available in the following plans:
- Prestige. The Prestige Plan is Chubb’s highest level of travel insurance cover. It offers extensive coverage and high benefit limits for overseas medical expenses (unlimited cover), additional accommodation and public transportation expenses, personal accident, trip cancellation or postponement, baggage and personal effects, rental vehicle excess and much more.
- Domestic. If you travel frequently within Australia, Chubb’s Domestic Plan is available to provide annual multi-trip cover. Benefits include cover for personal accident, trip cancellation or postponement, special events, baggage and personal effects, baggage delay and personal liability.
- Comprehensive. Chubb Travel Insurance’s Comprehensive Plan covers a wide range of risks but has lower benefit limits than the Prestige Plan. Available as a single- or multi-trip policy, it includes cover for unlimited overseas medical expenses, additional accommodation and public transportation expenses, personal accident, trip cancellation or postponement, baggage and personal effects, rental vehicle excess and more.
- Essential. The Essential Plan is designed for budget-conscious travellers and provides mid-level international travel insurance for single or multiple trips. Benefits include cover for unlimited overseas medical expenses, trip cancellation and postponement, cutting your trip short, baggage and personal effects, personal liability, rental vehicle excess and more.
What’s covered under my policy?
Considering purchasing a Chubb Travel Insurance policy? Chubb offers the following benefits to travellers:
- Medical expenses overseas. When you suffer an accidental injury or sickness overseas, Chubb Travel Insurance provides unlimited cover for the resulting medical expenses.
- Additional accommodation and public transportation expenses. If an accidental injury or sickness prevents you from continuing your trip, your policy can cover your cancellation costs and additional trip expenses.
- Permanent disablement. When an accidental injury on your trip results in your permanent disablement, Chubb Travel Insurance pays a lump sum benefit.
- Loss of income. Your regular weekly wage or salary will be replaced when you suffer an accidental injury on your trip and are unable to return to your normal work.
- Accidental loss of life. This pays a lump sum benefit if an accidental injury suffered during your trip causes your death.
- Trip cancellation or postponement. If circumstances beyond your control force you to cancel or postpone your trip, Chubb Travel Insurance covers your cancellation or amendment costs.
- Missed departure or public transportation delay. This covers your cancellation costs or additional trip expenses when you miss your departure or your transport is delayed, rescheduled or cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances beyond your control.
- Cut trip short. This covers your cancellation costs and additional trip expenses when you have to cut your trip short to return home following:
- The death, accidental injury or sickness of a relative or business partner
- Your home being made uninhabitable or business premises being significantly damaged by fire, storm, flood or natural disaster
- Special events. If your public transportation has been delayed or overbooked, this benefit covers the additional cost you incur to arrive at your destination on time for a special event.
- Resumption of trip. If you’ve been covered under the ‘medical expenses overseas’ or ‘cut trip short’ benefit and you want to resume your journey, this benefit covers your additional trip expenses to help you resume your trip.
- Baggage and personal effects. If your baggage and personal effects are lost, stolen or damaged on your trip, this benefit covers the cost of their repair or replacement.
- Travel documents. This covers the cost of replacing lost, stolen or damaged travel documents.
- Money. This benefit covers the value of money and legal liability caused by the unauthorised use of your credit cards when they are lost or stolen during your journey.
- Baggage delay. You’ll be reimbursed for the cost of purchasing essential clothing and toiletries when all of your luggage is delayed for more than 12 hours.
- Personal liability. Up to $5 million cover is available if you become liable to pay compensation due to your negligence causing damage to someone else’s property, or bodily injury to or the death of someone else.
- Rental vehicle excess. If your rental vehicle is stolen or involved in a collision, Chubb Travel Insurance provides $1,000 cover for the rental vehicle insurance excess you’re liable to pay.
Are there any additional options?
The following optional add-on benefit packs can be included with your Chubb policy for an additional premium:
- Cruise Pack. This includes cover for cancellation expenses when you’re forced to cancel your trip and miss out on pre-paid cruise activities and day excursion, while it also provides a daily benefit when you’re confined to your cabin due to injury or sickness.
- Winter Sports Pack. Going skiing or snowboarding on your trip? This pack covers the cost of lost, stolen or damaged winter sports equipment, as well as winter sports equipment hire, unused winter sports costs, piste closure and more.
- Adventure Sports Pack. Love adventure activities? This pack covers the cost of lost, stolen or damaged adventure sports equipment, adventure sport equipment hire and unused adventure sport costs.
- Golf Pack. If you’re planning a golfing holiday, the Chubb Travel Insurance Golf Pack covers lost, stolen or damaged golf equipment, the cost of hiring golf equipment, unused golf costs and cover for the cost of celebrating a hole-in-one.
- Driving Holiday Pack. This optional extra allows you to increase your rental vehicle excess cover from $1,000 to $5,000. It also includes cover for your baggage and personal effects while in the vehicle, lost keys, towing expenses, and carjacking and road rage incidents.
- Family Protection Pack. This pack allows you to increase the individual item limit to $1,500 per item for strollers, child car seats and baby capsules. Other benefits include cover for childcare and student tutorial costs when you sustain an accidental injury overseas.
- Increased Electronic Equipment Pack. This allows you to increase the maximum benefit limit for electronic equipment you take on your trip. You can purchase up to $10,000 cover per item under the Prestige Plan (lower under other plans), and up to $3,000 cover for your mobile phone.
What's excluded from my policy?
Your Chubb Travel Insurance policy won’t provide any cover for a variety of specific events and circumstances, such as:
- If your claim arises due to war, rebellion or revolution
- If your claim arises due to the insolvency of a travel or tourism services provider
- If you travel to a country for which the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade has issued a “Do Not Travel” warning
- If a government authority confiscates, seizes or destroys anything
- If your claim arises because you were under the influence of alcohol or drugs (except those prescribed by a doctor)
- If you fail to properly safeguard your property
- If you fail to take all reasonable steps to minimise any claim
- If you travel against medical advice
- If your claim arises due to a pre-existing medical condition (unless it has been approved for cover)
- If your claim is for childbirth or pregnancy unless it is due to unexpected medical complications or caused by accidental injury or sickness
- If your claim arises due to any errors or omissions in your booking arrangements
- If your claim is for consequential loss of any kind, for example loss of enjoyment
- If your claim arises because you participate in any extreme sports or activities
Check the Chubb Travel Insurance PDS for a complete list of general exclusions.
For general enquiries and claims, you can call Chubb Travel Insurance on 1800 803 548 (Monday to Friday 8:30am to 5:00pm).
How do I make a claim?
If you need to lodge a claim under your Chubb Travel Insurance policy, you can do so online at any time via the Chubb Claim Centre. You’ll need to provide:
- Your email address
- Your contact information so Chubb can send you real-time updates on the status of your claim
- Supporting documents for your claim, such as receipts, photographs, quotes or police reports
- Your payee information so your claim can be paid promptly
You’ll need to advise Chubb of all claims within 30 days of an event or as soon as it is reasonably possible to do so.
Questions you might have about Chubb Travel Insurance
More guides on Finder
Chubb Corporate Travel Insurance
Chubb Corporate Travel Insurance is perfect for employers wanting to protect their company while employees are travelling on business. See if Chubb is right for you.
Ask an Expert