We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Important:Travel insurance rules continue to change as a result of the pandemic. Some information may not be accurate at this time. It’s even more important to double-check all details that matter to you before taking out cover. Please note:
- Some policies may not be available through Finder at this time
- It’s unlikely that your policy will cover expenses from border closures
Compare your travel insurance quotes
Made a search before? Retrieve your search results
Type or Select your destination(s)
RAC Travel Insurance policy options
RAC offer the following policy options:
- International Comprehensive. This provides a wide range of benefits and the highest level of cover including unlimited overseas emergency medical expenses, cancellation fees and lost deposits, up to $15,000 cover for luggage and personal effects, rental car insurance excess cover and more.
- Domestic Comprehensive. This protects you for when you're travelling within Australia and can cover things like trip cancellations, lost or stolen luggage, loss of income and more.
- International Essentials. Similar cover to International Comprehensive but with lower cover limits. You'll still get $25,000 cover for cancellation fees and lost deposits and $7,500 of luggage and personal effects cover.
- Annual Multi-Trip. If you plan to take more than a couple trips a year, an Annual Multi-Trip policy can save you from buying more than one policy, plus it will cover you for everything included in RAC's most comprehensive policy.
- Medical Only. If you're only interested in looking after your health when you're overseas, you can get Medical Only cover.
- Rental Vehicle Excess. Renting a car or campervan? Don't risk unexpected costs. If you rent a vehicle which is then stolen, crashed or damaged, this RAC policy will cover the cost of the insurance excess you would otherwise have to pay. Rental companies regularly charge a hefty excess for any damage, so this type of policy could save you a lot of money in the long run.
Benefits of RAC Holiday Insurance
The exact level of cover provided differs from one RAC policy to the next, but the table below outlines the cover you can get:
|International Comprehensive||International Essentials||Domestic Comprehensive||Annual Multi-Trip|
|Overseas Medical and Hospital||Unlimited||Unlimited||Unlimited|
|Cancellation Fees and Lost Deposits||Unlimited||$25,000||Unlimited||Unlimited|
|Rental Vehicle Excess||$8,000||$4,000||$5,000||$8,000|
|Overseas Dental||Unlimited||$2,000||No cover||Unlimited|
RAC General Exclusions
As you’d expect from any insurance policy, there are certain circumstances where your RAC Travel Insurance claim will not be paid. This includes:
- If your claim arises from air travel other than as a passenger on a commercial aircraft.
- If your claim is a result of war or terrorism.
- If your claim is the result of the confiscation, detention or destruction of anything by customs or other authorities.
- If your claim is the result of an unlawful act committed by you.
- If your claim arises from any government prohibition or regulation.
- If you have travelled against the advice of your doctor.
- If you fail to take reasonable care to protect yourself and your property against loss.
- If your claim is the result of a pre-existing medical condition.
- If your claim is the result of pregnancy or childbirth.
- If your claim involves your suicide, attempted suicide or deliberate self-inflicted injury.
- If your claim arises from you being under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- If your claim arises from anxiety, depression, or other mental or nervous disorders.
- If you participate in hunting, racing, BASE jumping, professional sports, hang gliding etc.
- If your claim is related to complications after elective surgery.
- If your claim arises from the insolvency of a travel agent, tour operator, accommodation provider or airline.
- If your claim involves you participating in riding a motorbike.
RAC Travel Insurance claims
Under an RAC Travel Insurance policy, you can receive a benefit when an insured event occurs and the insurer accepts your claim. However, there are important steps you can take to ensure that your claim is processed quickly and effectively.
The loss or theft of luggage, personal effects, travel documents or money must be reported to the police or relevant travel provider within 24 hours. You should also obtain a copy of any written reports as supporting evidence for when you lodge your claim.
If you are hospitalised or if you anticipate that your medical expenses will exceed $2,000, you’ll need to phone the emergency assistance number as soon as possible. You’ll also need to remember at all times to take all necessary steps to minimise your loss.
You’ll need to notify the insurer of any incident which may give rise to a claim as soon as possible, plus you’ll need to complete a claim form within 60 days of your return. RAC may also request certain documents and supporting information to help process your claim, such as police reports, valuations, receipts and medical certificates. You’ll need to provide these at your own expense.
RAC Travel Insurance FAQs
RAC Travel Insurance offers a range of competitive policy options to suit the needs of a variety of travellers. It’s quick and easy to get a quote online, so compare RAC’s policy features and see how they stack up against other offerings on the market. This will help you end up with the right policy for your next holiday.Back to top
More guides on Finder
Why 9 million Aussies need to check their TPD insurance now
Millions of Aussies are being urged to check how their TPD policies are set up to avoid claims being unexpectedly turned down.
FINAL DAYS: Jetstar and Qantas half-price flights sales end soon
Here's are all the routes still listed at 50% off for travel until September.
Nexo review: Is it safe for high interest returns?
Nexo is a cryptocurrency lending and borrowing platform that offers high interest rates on cryptocurrencies, stablecoins and fiat. We review the features available and look at how safe your funds would be on the platform.
Qantas EXTENDS triple points offer: Last chance to boost yours
Earn triple Qantas Points on flights, hotels and holidays from now until June 2022.
Pets in cabins “soon” on domestic flights: What’s the catch?
The announcement that pets may soon be able to travel in the cabin is good news for many pet owners – but how will it be implemented?
ANZ Rewards Platinum – Exclusive Offer
This card offers a competitive rewards program, 150,000 bonus ANZ Reward Points, a first-year annual fee waiver and a range of complimentary insurance covers.
Farm insurance can provide the protection Australian farmers need. It can include ✓ building insurance ✓ crop insurance ✓ livestock insurance
Lying for their life: 3.8 million Australians are untruthful on life insurance applications
Millions of Australians have told a fib in order to get a discount on their life insurance policy, according to new research by Finder.
Boost your 2021 tax return: Top tips for a bigger refund
It's tax time! Finder's money writers share their tips to claim deductions on everything from your home office, car and insurance to your mortgage.
Ask an Expert