SCU Credit Cards
If you’re looking for a low rate card that offers global access to funds, SCU might have something for you.
Comparing the SCU Credit Card
Types of credit cards that SCU offers
This credit union offers its members a Visa credit card — a basic no-frills credit card that charges a low interest rate.
Low rate credit cards
These types of credit cards give you a convenient, low cost way to spend. SCU’s Low Rate Visa Card comes with a low interest rate that can help you save considerably if you’re not the kind who pays your outstanding balance in full each month. If you do, you can take advantage of as many as 55 interest-free days on purchases. What also helps is that this card charges the same low interest rate for purchases and cash advances. Keep in mind that you'll have to pay a nominal annual fee.
Benefits of banking with SCU
Banking with SCU brings with it competitive interest rates and minimal fees and charges, and you can also look forward to high levels of personalised service. Getting the Low Rate Visa card also comes with its own share of benefits.
Global access to funds
More than 24 million merchants in over 200 countries accept Visa credit cards, so you can look forward to using this card the world over. For cash advances, you can turn to any ATM that displays the Visa logo. You can use this credit card to make in-store purchases, and also to make purchases and pay bills online or over the phone.
Fee-free balance transfers
You can make use of the low rate credit card to transfer balances from existing credit cards that charge higher interest rates. You don’t have to pay any fee to make balance transfers.
When you apply for this credit card you have the option to get a payWave enabled card for free. More than 174,000 merchants in over 30 countries use this technology, and when you shop with one of these merchants you can make contactless payments for purchases under $100. Cardholders get access to Visa Entertainment, a platform they can turn to for exclusive offers, competitions and pre-sale tickets to concerts and sporting events. Verified by Visa also works as an additional layer of security when you use this card online.
Applying for an SCU credit card
You can apply for an SCU credit card by visiting any SCU branch or over the phone. To apply online or to download an application, click on the ‘Go to Site’ button when it appears next to the credit card’s details. To apply, you have to meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Age. Be over 18 years of age.
- Residential status. Be a permanent resident of Australia.
- Credit history. You'll need to have a good credit history to apply.
Bear in mind you have to submit a variety of information to complete the application, including the following:
- Credit limit. Enter the credit limit you want, but this is subject to approval.
- Personal details. These include your complete name, date of birth, marital status, number of dependants and your chosen SCU branch.
- Contact details. These include your residential status, residential address, phone number and email address.
- Employment. This section requires your occupation, status of your employment, employer’s name, employer’s address and phone number.
- Financial. Provide information about your income from all sources. Expenses can include rent, mortgage payments, travel expenses, food expenses, utility bills, and so on. You’ll also need to provide details of all your existing loans, credit cards, store cards and overdrafts.
After you apply
Once you submit your online application you will receive a reference number that you can use if you want to discuss any aspect of your application, and you can expect to hear from an SCU representative by the next business day. As part of the process, SCU will in all likelihood make an income verification call to your employer. Approval can be offered within 48 hours.
To receive your SCU credit card you’ll have to apply for SCU membership if you’re not already a member. New members, owing to a legal requirement, have to go through an identity verification process.
Frequently asked questions
Below you'll find answers to some commonly asked questions about SCU credit cards. If you have a question that does not feature here, use the form at the end of the page to ask.
Image:SCUBack to top
Ask an Expert
Credit Cards Comparison
* The credit card offers compared on this page are chosen from a range of credit cards finder.com.au has access to track details from and is not representative of all the products available in the market. Products are displayed in no particular order or ranking. The use of terms 'Best' and 'Top' are not product ratings and are subject to our disclaimer. You should consider seeking independent financial advice and consider your own personal financial circumstances when comparing cards.