Defence Bank Credit Cards
Find out how you can get low-cost features and support a charitable cause with the Defence Bank Foundation credit card.
Updated . What changed?
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Defence Bank offers one low-cost credit card option, which also helps support a charitable cause through the Defence Bank Foundation. While this member-owned bank has a history of providing accounts and services to the Australian defence forces, anyone can apply for a Defence Bank Foundation credit card if they meet the requirements and want to become a member of the bank. Here, we'll go through the key details of the Defence Bank Foundation credit card account, how to apply and the benefits you can get as a member.
3.99% p.a. for 6 months on purchases and balance transfers
Eligibility criteria, terms and conditions, fees and charges apply
Defence Bank Credit Card Offer
Save with an introductory rate of 3.99% p.a. for the first 6 months on purchases, balance transfers and cash advances. Plus, a low annual fee.
- Introductory rate of 3.99% p.a. for the first 6 months on all transactions (reverts to 8.99% p.a.)
- Ongoing purchase and cash advance rate: 8.99% p.a.
- Annual fee of $45 (half of which is donated to the Defence Bank Foundation)
- Minimum credit limit: $1,000
Comparison of Defence Bank credit card features
Defence Bank Foundation Credit Card
The Defence Bank Foundation Credit Card is a low rate credit card that offers you the same interest rate for purchases, balance transfers and cash advances. It offers a low introductory rate of 3.99% p.a. for the first 6 months, then a variable rate of 8.99% p.a. With this card, half of the $45 annual fee is donated to the Defence Bank Foundation, which puts all the funds it raises towards a program that matches rescue dogs with veterans who experience post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and related conditions. The other features on this card are kept simple and include 24/7 fraud protection, worldwide acceptance through the Visa card network and contactless and mobile payments.
Benefits of banking with Defence Bank
Some of the key features you can get when you have a credit card from Defence Bank include:
Support a charitable cause
The Defence Bank Foundation has been set up to support the defence community. All funds go towards the Defence Community Dogs program, which rescues dogs from pounds and shelters, trains them with the help of inmates in correctional centres, then provides the dogs free of charge to veterans. If you get a Defence Bank Foundation credit card, half of your annual fee will go towards this program – meaning you can support it through your choice of credit card. If you're interested, visit the Defence Community Dogs website for more information on this program.
Online and mobile banking
Keep track of your account balance, check statements and manage your account details from anywhere with Internet banking or the Defence Bank mobile app. You can also visit a branch or call 1800 033 139 for phone banking.
Visa card benefits
You can use a Defence Bank Foundation credit card to make payments in-person or online wherever Visa cards are accepted. It also comes with Visa's contactless payment technology, so you can tap-and-pay without entering a PIN for purchases under $200. Plus, take advantage of exclusive deals on shopping, dining, entertainment and travel through Visa Offers + Perks (listed on the Visa website).
Digital wallets and contactless payments
You can add the Defence Bank Foundation Credit Card to your Apple Pay, Google Pay, or Samsung Pay wallet. It can also be used with Garmin Pay and Fitbit Pay to make payments straight from your mobile phone or other smart devices.
How to apply for a Defence Bank Foundation credit card
If you've decided you want to apply for the Defence Bank Foundation credit card, you can fill in a secure application online through the Defence Bank website. As part of the application, you'll need to meet the following eligibility requirements and provide details about your personal and financial details.
- Australian residency status. You must be an Australian resident or citizen.
- Tax responsibilities. You must not be a foreign tax resident and you won't be able to apply online if you have any overseas tax obligations. If that's the case, you can call Defence Bank on 1800 033 139 to discuss your options.
- Age. You must be at least 18 years of age.
Documents and details
- Personal details. This includes your name, date of birth, residential address, phone number and email address. You also need to provide details of two of the following forms of ID: your Medicare card, Australian driver's licence or Australian passport.
- Employment details. As well as your after-tax income, you need to provide details about your current employment status, including your role, length of employment and your employer's contact details. You should also have recent payslips or other official documents handy to help verify these details.
- Financial details. This covers your other assets, as well as debts and liabilities. You also need to include details of your regular household expenses, such as rent, mortgage payments and bills.
- Other credit cards. If you want to transfer your existing credit card balance onto the Defence Bank Foundation card, you will need to provide details about the amount of debt you want to transfer, as well as the account details.
If you have any questions about your application, or want to check on the process, you can call Defence Bank on 1800 033 139 between 8am and 6pm (AEST) Mon-Fri.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Defence Bank Foundation Credit Card
This card gives you a way to support a program that matches rescue dogs with veterans in need and enjoy a low interest rate on all your spending.
Defence Bank True Blue Credit Card
Get back to basics with the Defence Bank True Blue Credit Card. This no-frills credit card features low interest rates and other features you must see now. Read on and find out whats in store with this card.
Ask an Expert