Defence Bank is a customer-owned bank with a focus on the Australian Defence Force, but open for anyone to join. It offers one low-cost credit card option, which also helps support a charitable cause through the Defence Bank Foundation.
Comparison of Defence Bank credit card features
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
Types of credit cards from Defence Bank
Low rate credit card
The Defence Bank Foundation Credit Card is a low rate credit card that offers a low introductory rate of 3.99% p.a. for the first 6 months, then a variable rate of 8.99% p.a. With this card, half of the $45 annual fee is donated to the Defence Bank Foundation, which puts all the funds it raises towards a program that matches rescue dogs with veterans who experience post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and related conditions. The other features on this card are kept simple and include 24/7 fraud protection, worldwide acceptance through the Visa card network and contactless and mobile payments.
Benefits of getting a credit card with Defence Bank
Support a charitable cause
The Defence Bank Foundation has been set up to support the defence community. All funds go towards the Defence Community Dogs program, which rescues dogs from pounds and shelters, trains them with the help of inmates in correctional centres, then provides the dogs free of charge to veterans. If you get a Defence Bank Foundation credit card, half of your annual fee will go towards this program – meaning you can support it through your choice of credit card. If you're interested, visit the Defence Community Dogs website for more information on this program.
Online and mobile banking
Keep track of your account balance, check statements and manage your account details from anywhere with Internet banking or the Defence Bank mobile app. You can also visit a branch or call 1800 033 139 for phone banking.
Visa card benefits
You can use a Defence Bank Foundation credit card to make payments in-person or online wherever Visa cards are accepted. It also comes with Visa's contactless payment technology, so you can tap-and-pay without entering a PIN for purchases under $200. Plus, take advantage of exclusive deals on shopping, dining, entertainment and travel through Visa Offers + Perks (listed on the Visa website).
Digital wallets and contactless payments
You can add the Defence Bank Foundation Credit Card to your Apple Pay, Google Pay, or Samsung Pay wallet. It can also be used with Garmin Pay and Fitbit Pay to make payments straight from your mobile phone or other smart devices.
How to apply
If you've decided you want to apply for the Defence Bank Foundation credit card, you can fill in a secure application online through the Defence Bank website. As part of the application, you'll need to meet the following eligibility requirements and provide details about your personal and financial details.
- Australian residency status. You must be an Australian resident or citizen.
- Tax responsibilities. You must not be a foreign tax resident and you won't be able to apply online if you have any overseas tax obligations. If that's the case, you can call Defence Bank on 1800 033 139 to discuss your options.
- Age. You must be at least 18 years of age.
Documents and details
- Personal details. This includes your name, date of birth, residential address, phone number and email address. You also need to provide details of two of the following forms of ID: your Medicare card, Australian driver's licence or Australian passport.
- Employment details. As well as your after-tax income, you need to provide details about your current employment status, including your role, length of employment and your employer's contact details. You should also have recent payslips or other official documents handy to help verify these details.
- Financial details. This covers your other assets, as well as debts and liabilities. You also need to include details of your regular household expenses, such as rent, mortgage payments and bills.
- Other credit cards. If you want to transfer your existing credit card balance onto the Defence Bank Foundation card, you will need to provide details about the amount of debt you want to transfer, as well as the account details.
If you have any questions about your application, or want to check on the process, call Defence Bank on 033 139.
Credit card brands similar to Defence Bank
If you want a credit card from a member-owned bank or one that's focused on veterans, or people working in government or law enforcement, here are 3 other credit card providers you can compare:
Frequently asked questions
Contact details and related links
- Contat number: 1800 033 139
8am-6pm (AEST) Mon-Fri
- Defence Bank home loans
- Compare Defence Bank savings and bank accounts
Want to compare a wider range of credit cards? Check out the latest offers for rewards, balance transfers, low rates and more.
More guides on Finder
Best Cyber Monday deals you can still get today: Up to 70% off
Black Friday is now over, but you can still pick up stacks of Cyber Monday deals that are every bit as good.
How a pink trading platform dominated New Zealand
Sharesies boasts 500,000 Kiwi customers - or one-tenth of the New Zealand population.
Woolworths vs Coles: Which paid membership is better? [VIDEO]
Is it worth spending more with Everyday Extra or Coles Plus?
Savings with Sarah #10
Aussies are predicted to spend $30 billion this festive season. Here's 7 key tips on how you can save on gift-buying.
Cyber Monday laptop deals 2023
Access deals and discounts of up to 65% off laptops from Dell, Microsoft, HP and more in the 2023 Cyber Monday sale event.
Standing desk sale: 35% off at Omnidesk for Cyber Monday
Upgrade your home office this Cyber Monday with 35% off ergonomic standing desks from Omnidesk.
Cyber Monday iPhone deals 2023
If you're looking for iPhone deals in this year's Cyber Monday sales, check out our roundup of the very best discounts around.
Virgin flights to Uluru: How many points do you need?
Can you get a red-hot deal for the red centre?
How to avoid a Christmas debt hangover
11% of us are putting our holiday shopping on plastic.
Black Friday Weekend: Today’s 25 best deals
From cutting-edge gadgets to deluxe mattresses, these are the best Black Friday deals you can get over the weekend.
Ask an Expert