If you or a member of your family are part of the police, health, emergency or public service in Victoria, you can apply for a credit card from BankVic and take advantage of special introductory offers and competitive ongoing features. Use this guide to learn more about the different BankVic credit cards available and find out what you'll need to apply for one today.
Comparison of BankVic credit cards
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
What are the types of credit cards from BankVic?
BankVic credit cards are designed to suit different needs, with features that range from low ongoing interest rates to complimentary perks and frequent flyer points.
Low rate credit cards
The BankVic Low Rate Visa offers a low ongoing variable interest rate for both purchases and cash advances. It also has a $0 p.a. annual fee and up to 44 days interest free on purchases.
Frequent flyer credit cards
The BankVic Qantas Visa is only available to members of the Police Association of Victoria (TPAV) or the Victorian Ambulance Union. It offers Qantas Points on everyday spending, which you can use to redeem rewards such as flights, upgrades and merchandise through the Qantas Frequent Flyer program. It also offers up to 55 days interest-free on purchases when you pay your account balance in full by the due date listed on your current statement and on your previous statement.
The benefits of banking with BankVic
BankVic credit cards offer more than cheap access to credit. Some of the benefits that come with using a BankVic credit card include:
Internet banking — bank where and when you want
Apply and get approved for a BankVic credit card and register your account for internet banking for free. This service from BankVic lets you manage your credit card and make payments from anywhere in the world, at any time of the day. Increase your credit limit, set up regular payments, review your credit card statement and view your monthly statement and more from your desktop or smartphone device. Internet banking does away with the need to visit a brick-and-mortar bank.
BankVic credit cards — ATM withdrawals
You'll pay no ATM fee when you use your BankVic credit card to make a withdrawal at a St.George, Westpac, BankSA or Bank of Melbourne ATM. Note that a cash advance fee will apply when you use your credit card to withdraw money.
Visa credit card benefits
Using a BankVic Visa credit card comes with some handy features to make shopping quicker, easier and safer:
- Visa payWave. All BankVic credit cards are Visa payWave enabled. This means you can tap your BankVic credit card against a contactless terminal for purchases under $100 and you can be on your way in a matter of seconds — do away with entering your PIN for small transactions. Visa payWave transactions are protected under the Visa Zero Liability Policy.
- Visa Zero Liability Policy. Use your credit card with the confidence that you’re protected from fraud, both online and over the counter. The Visa Zero Liability Policy does not extend to ATM transactions, however, Visa will give you your money back if you’re the victim of credit card fraud shopping online, over the counter or when using Visa payWave.
- Global acceptance. Visa is a global brand and is accepted in millions of places all over the world. Use your Visa card to pay for a train ticket in New York, shop online and buy shoes from Paris or withdraw cash from an ATM in India. Whether you’re using your card at home or abroad, Visa has you covered.
- Digital wallets. You can now use your smartphone or compatible device to make contactless payments when you link your BankVic account to Apple Pay or Google Pay.
How to apply for a BankVic credit card
Click ‘Go to Site’ and apply online for a BankVic credit card. Credit card applications are handled through the BankVic online application tool: Webloans. Before you start an online application for a BankVic credit card, you will need to become a member of the mutual.
To become a member of BankVic, you must:
- Be a member of the police force or a member of the health, emergency or public service or have a family member working in these industries, or
- Work within 5km of the BankVic offices, or
- Have been introduced by an existing member, and they have been a member for more than a year, or
- Be approved by the CEO of BankVic or an Executive Manager of Police Financial Services Limited, or
- Be a corporate body (contact BankVic for further information about applying as a corporate body)
The online application for a BankVic credit card should only take ten to fifteen minutes to complete if you have all the necessary information on hand. Make sure you have the following:
- Identification. You must verify your identity with BankVic to apply for a credit card. Provide at least two forms of identification including a passport, an Australian birth certificate, driver's licence or other form of photo identification or medicare card. You can verify your identification online and a BankVic representative will be in touch if this process is unable to be completed.
- Employment. Provide information about your current employment, including your employer's contact details and your after-tax income. If you’ve been in your current position for less than five years, you’ll also need to provide your previous employer’s contact information.
- Assets. Detail a list of your assets including your home, vehicle, your accounts with BankVic and other banks, home and contents insurance, superannuation fund and other assets such as shares if applicable.
- Liabilities. Enter information about mortgages, other loans, credit cards and any other debt.
- Expenses. What are your ongoing expenses? Details about rent, food, clothing and utility bills need to be provided to BankVic.
What happens next?
After you submit the online application for a BankVic credit card, you should receive an email from the bank about the status of your credit card application within 24 hours, or the next business day. If you haven’t got word back from BankVic about your credit card application, get in touch with a customer representative and quote your application reference number. A credit card is usually issued within five to seven business days following approval for the account. Once you’re approved for a credit card, you become a shareholder of BankVic. You will need to purchase 10 shares. The shares are valued at $1.00 each. The value of the shares can be redeemed when you close the account.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
BankVic Low Rate Visa credit card
BankVic Low Rate Visa cardholders can save with a low 8.99% interest rate for the first 6 months.
Ask an Expert