BOQ Specialist offers credit cards for medical professionals including doctors, vets, dentists and students in related fields. These cards offer premium perks, 24/7 security and mobile payments through Apple Pay and Google Pay. Here, you'll find key details about BOQ Specialist credit cards, as well as benefits you can get when you open an account.
Compare BOQ Specialist Credit Cards
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
Types of BOQ Specialist credit cards
Platinum credit cards
The BOQ Specialist Platinum Visa Credit Card offers 0.5 Qantas Points or Velocity Points per $1 spent on eligible purchases in Australia and 1 points per $1 on eligible international spending. It also offers complimentary travel insurance and a concierge service.
Signature credit cards
The BOQ Specialist Signature Visa is a top-tier credit card that offers 1 Qantas Point or Velocity Point per $1 spent on eligible purchases in Australia, up to 10,000 points per month, then 1 points per $1 spent for the remainder of the month. For overseas spending, it earns 1.5 point per $1, with no cap. Other perks include complimentary travel insurance, a concierge service, Visa Luxury Hotel Collection benefits and airport lounge access through Priority Pass.
Benefits of getting a BOQ Specialist credit card
Some of the benefits you can get with a BOQ Specialist credit card include:
Frequent flyer benefits
These cards give you a choice of earning Qantas Points or Velocity Points for your eligible spending. If you're not a member of the Qantas Frequent Flyer program, you can also join through BOQ Specialist and save on the $99.50 joining fee.
Complimentary insurance covers
Both the Platinum and Signature BOQ Specialist cards offer complimentary insurance covers, including overseas travel insurance, card purchase cover and buyer's advantage cover. As there are different requirements for each card and type of cover, make sure you read the BOQ Specialist credit card insurance booklet (available on the BOQ Specialist website) to find out what's covered and how you can make a claim.
BOQ Specialist credit cards give you access to a Visa concierge service. This service can help you with tasks such as booking travel, making restaurant reservations, organising big events and buying gifts for loved ones.
How to apply for a BOQ Specialist credit card
You can apply for a BOQ Specialist credit card online by filling in a secure application form. To get started, make sure you meet the eligibility criteria and have all the documents and details needed to complete the application.
- Australian residency status. You must be a citizen or permanent resident of Australia.
- Profession. You must be a medical, dental or veterinary professional, or a student or graduate in one of these fields. You can also apply if you are a qualified accountant.
- Age. You must be at least 18 years of age.
- Income. For the BOQ Specialist Platinum, you must earn at least $60,000 per year. For the BOQ Specialist Signature, you must earn at least $120,000 per year.
Documents and details
- Personal details. This includes your full name, date of birth, marital status, number of dependents, membership details of a medical or dental association, residential address, email address and phone number. You also need to provide your driver’s licence number, Medicare card number or passport number to verify your ID.
- Industry association details. If you're a member of a professional industry association, such as the Australian Medical Association (AMA) or the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners (RACGP), you'll be asked to include those details on the application.
- Employment details. Provide your student or employment status, your profession and your employer's name and contact details. If self-employed, provide the name and contact details of your accountant.
- Financial details. This section requires your gross annual income and expenses, and you also have to provide details about all your assets and liabilities. Assets include property, motor vehicles, investments, and savings, and liabilities comprise all existing forms of debts like credit cards, loans and overdrafts.
If you have any questions about the application process, call BOQ Specialist on 1300 160 160 or fill in an enquiry form on the BOQ Specialist website.
Credit card brands similar to BOQ Specialist
If you want a credit card from a bank that's focused on medical professionals and people who work in essential services – or one with options for sole traders and business owners – here are 3 other credit card providers you could compare with BOQ Specialist:
Frequently asked questions
Contact details and related links
- BOQ Specialist contact number: 1300 160 160
- Income protection for doctors and medical professionals
- BOQ Specialist About page (accessed 8 June 2023)
- Image: BOQ Specialist
More guides on Finder
BOQ Specialist Signature Credit Card
If you’re a medical or veterinary professional, you could earn between 0.5 and 1.5 Qantas Points or Velocity Points per $1 on eligible spending with this card. Is it worth it for you?
BOQ Specialist Platinum Credit Card
The BOQ Specialist Platinum gives you a way to earn Qantas Points or Velocity for your spending, along with complimentary perks including overseas travel insurance. Is it right for you?
Ask an Expert