Store Credit Cards
From David Jones and Myer to Coles and Woolworths, compare store credit cards and get more benefits based on where you shop.
Store Credit Card Comparison
How do store cards work?
These cards offer benefits when you shop with a particular brand or in a specific type of store. For example, you could earn a higher rate of points per $1 for spending with an associated store, or enjoy complimentary shipping, exclusive sales and long interest-free offers.
What stores have store cards?
You can get credit cards for the following stores, brands or retail loyalty programs:
- David Jones
As well as these options, there are some credit cards that offer benefits with particular types of stores and brands. For example, NAB Rewards credit cards offer higher amounts of points for spending with Webjet and at major department stores (as well as for overseas spending). Similarly, the CommBank Awards program allows you to earn bonus points when you shop with Bonus partners.
What benefits can I get with a store card?
Store credit cards usually offer a range of perks you can enjoy when you shop with the brand, or elsewhere. These features vary between cards but often include:
- Reward points. Most store cards in Australia offer points per $1 spent on eligible purchases. Generally, you’ll earn the highest amount of points for spending with the store and a lower amount for spending everywhere else.
- VIP offers. Some store cards give you access to exclusive events, offers and sales. The David Jones American Express, for example, offers card member shopping events, Instant Rewards such as savings or gifts for specific purchases, and complimentary gift wrapping for purchases made in-store or online with David Jones.
- Shopping discounts. You can often get savings on your shopping with the store or associated brands when you use a store card to pay for purchases. For example, with a Woolworths credit card you can get 10% off your first shop in-store or online at Woolworths on a selected weekend each month by scanning the barcode on the back of your credit card and paying with it. David Jones and Myer credit cards may also offer member discounts at various times throughout the year.
- Complimentary delivery. If you shop online, you could enjoy complimentary delivery options with the brand that’s linked to your store card. For instance, David Jones American Express Platinum offers complimentary priority delivery for eligible items purchased in store at David Jones.
- Flexible payment plans. Credit cards may also offer you different payment options for purchases you make with the linked brand. Currently, David Jones offer this type of benefit, with some options including:
- Up to 1 year interest-free with no deposit when you spend at least $500 on your card in one transaction across all departments, in-store or online, at David Jones.
- Up to 5 years interest-free with no deposit when you spend $1,000 or more on your card in one transaction, across all departments in-store or online at David Jones.
- 3 Months Pay Later for up to 3 months when you spend $50 or more on your card across all departments in-store or online at David Jones.
- Other benefits. Depending on the store card you choose, you could also enjoy perks such as complimentary travel insurance, purchase insurance and airport lounge access.
Can I use my store card for other spending?
Most store cards in Australia are Visa, Mastercard or American Express options that can be used for spending anywhere these cards are accepted. However, there are some store cards that you can only use with the associated store.
Compare these store cards trending now
Check out the rewards, benefits and annual fees available on these popular store credit cards:
|Card||Earn rate||Other benefits||Annual fee|
|David Jones American Express Platinum Card||4 points per $1 spent at David Jones|
3 points per $1 spent at major supermarkets and petrol stations
1 point per $1 spent everywhere else
|David Jones American Express Platinum Card - Qantas Frequent Flyer||2 points per $1 spent at David Jones|
1.5 Qantas Points per $1 spent at major supermarkets and petrol stations
|Myer Credit Card||3 MYER one shopping credits per $1 spent on eligible purchases at Myer|
Up to 3 MYER one shopping credits per $1 on eligible purchases with MYER one affiliates
1 MYER one shopping credit per $1 spent on eligible purchases everywhere else
|$0 annual fee for the first year ($69 p.a. thereafter)|
|Coles Rewards Mastercard||2 flybuys points per $1 spent on eligible purchases||$99|
|Woolworths Qantas Platinum Credit Card||1 Qantas Point per $1 spent on eligible purchases, uncapped|
0.5 additional Qantas Point per $1 spent on selected Qantas products and services
|$99 annual fee for the first year ($169 p.a. thereafter)|
How to compare store credit cards
As well as comparing the benefits of a store card, make sure you consider the following features so you can find one that suits your needs:
- Acceptance. Make sure the card is an American Express, Mastercard or Visa option if you want to be able to use it outside the associated store.
- Annual fee. Most store credit cards in Australia have an annual fee, which could be as low as $69 or as high as $295 depending on the card.
- Interest rates. Store credit card interest rates typically range from 19.99% p.a. to 20.74% p.a. (variable) for purchases but could be higher for cash advances.
- Payment plan rates and fees. If your store card offers long-term payment plans for in-store purchases, make sure you check for establishment and maintenance fees. For example, the interest-free instalment payment options available with a David Jones card may attract an establishment fee and a monthly account-keeping fee. There are also interest rates that may apply if you don’t pay the balance off by the end of the payment plan period.
- Balance transfer. If you have existing card debt you’d like to transfer to a new store credit card, you may be able to get a promotional 0% interest rate if you request the transfer at the time of your application. Just remember to check the standard rate that will apply to the debt if you don’t pay it off during the introductory period.
Other credit cards with in-store benefits
While not technically store cards, some credit cards offer interest-free payment plans with a selection of store partners. This includes all HSBC credit cards, as well as the Latitude GO Mastercard and Gem Visa. You can also get interest-free payment plans for purchases made a wide range of stores with an HSBC credit card.
Store credit cards can help you get more benefits when you regularly shop with a particular brand or store. Just remember to look at all the features and fees of the card, then compare a range of options so that you can find one that suits your needs.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you want to know more about store cards, here you’ll find answers to some of the most common questions about them. If you have another question, you can also get in touch with us using the comment box below.
Ask an Expert
Credit Cards Comparison
* The credit card offers compared on this page are chosen from a range of credit cards finder.com.au has access to track details from and is not representative of all the products available in the market. Products are displayed in no particular order or ranking. The use of terms 'Best' and 'Top' are not product ratings and are subject to our disclaimer. You should consider seeking independent financial advice and consider your own personal financial circumstances when comparing cards.