Travelsure travel insurance policy review - Compare policies available from TravelSure
With quality cover and cheaper prices, Travelsure offers both. Their policies provide quality cover, including medical, luggage and rental car excess, all at highly competitive rates. Part of Cover-More Travel Insurance Australia, the largest Australian travel insurance provider, Travelsure gives you the cover you need at the price you want to pay.
Made a search before? Retrieve your search results
Type or select your destination
Travelsure offers quality travel insurance at reasonable prices and provides cover for situations including:
- natural disasters
- riots and strikes
- injuries from terrorist attacks
- lost luggage.
Travelsure policies come with a money-back guarantee, meaning if you change your mind within 15 days of taking out cover, you can get a full refund.
Travelsure policies also include access to 24/7 emergency assistance from a team with 20 years experience helping travellers overseas. So all-in-all, you’re getting a lot for your money and for a lower price.Back to top
Travelsure offers two types of cover, depending on your travel needs. You can choose from either:
- Single trip cover – cover for a one-off trip lasting anywhere from two days to 18 months. Depending on your budget, you can opt for the cover you want, from basic cover with just the essentials, right through to comprehensive cover, which covers most circumstances.
- Annual multi-trip cover – cover for an unlimited number of trips made in a year, as long as you travel at least 250 kilometres from home. Instead of taking out a new policy for each trip, you pay one low premium for the whole year, which is ideal for those who travel a lot.
Both types of cover include access to 24/7 emergency assistance, a money-back guarantee, free cover for accompanying children under 21 and the option to choose your excess and reduce your premium even further.Back to top
- Am I covered for overseas medical and dental? Yes, cover is included for overseas hospital, medical, surgical, nursing, ambulance and emergency dental expenses.
- Am I covered for additional expenses? Yes, cover is provided for additional accommodation and transport expenses resulting from unforeseen events.
- What about amendment or cancellation costs? Yes, you are covered if your trip has to be cancelled or re-arranged due to unforeseen events out of your control.
- Does this policy cover luggage and travel documents? Yes, cover is provided for loss, theft or damage of luggage and replacement of lost or stolen travel documents.
- Is there a delayed luggage allowance? Yes, if your luggage is delayed by a transport provider, you are covered for the cost of essential emergency purchases.
- What about if my cash is stolen? Yes, cover is included for cash lost or stolen from your person.
- Rental car insurance excess? Yes, if your rental car is damaged or stolen, cover is provided for the excess you would be liable to pay.
- Are travel delays covered? Yes, cover for additional accommodation expenses is included if your scheduled transport is delayed for over six hours.
- Resumption of journey? Yes, cover is provided for the cost of returning overseas if you are forced to return to Australia due to the illness of a relative or business partner.
- What about special events cover? Yes, cover is included for additional costs in getting to a special event that you would otherwise miss due to unforeseen circumstances.
- How about hospital incidentals? Yes, you are covered for the cost of miscellaneous expenses if hospitalised overseas for at least 48 hours.
- Am I protected from hijacking? Yes, you receive a benefit for every 24 hour period you are forcibly detained on a hijacked public transport vehicle.
- What happens if I can't work, is my loss of income covered? Yes, a benefit is payable if you sustain an injury overseas which prevents you from working when you return to Australia.
- Is there a disability benefit? Yes, if an injury overseas causes you to lose sight in one or both eyes or the use of a limb, a benefit is payable.
- What about Accidental Death? Yes, a benefit is payable if you die from an injury sustained during your trip.
- And Personal Liability? Yes, you are covered for legal liability if negligence on your part during your trip causes injury or property damage to others.
As with most travel insurance policies, some pre-existing conditions are not covered or require separate coverage. Those that are automatically covered by Travelsure policies include:
- hiatus hernia.
Getting cover for pre-existing conditions is difficult as there are more conditions than that are automatically covered. Conditions that are not covered Automatically include:
- the back or neck
- drug or alcohol dependency
- if you are travelling to seek medical treatment or travelling against the advice of a medical adviser.
What about pregnancy?
Cover is only provided for pregnancy where unexpected serious complications occur during or before the 26th week and no cover is provided for childbirth or for the care of a newborn child. You must apply for cover if you have experienced complications with this or previous pregnancies or if they were medically assisted in any way (including IVF).Back to top
General exclusions applying to Travelsure policies include claims involving any of the following:
- air travel other than as a passenger on a licensed commercial aircraft
- war, invasion, civil war, rebellion or military coup
- nuclear reaction, contamination or radioactivity
- detention, confiscation or destruction by authorities
- any unlawful act committed by you
- any false statements made in connection with your insurance application or claim
- any government prohibition, regulation or intervention
- travel undertaken against the advice of a medical adviser or after you have been diagnosed with a terminal Illness (unless separately covered)
- your failure to take reasonable care
- certain pre-existing medical conditions
- pregnancy (see conditions described above)
- suicide, attempted suicide or self-inflicted injuries
- stress or travel exhaustion
- acting under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- transmission of a sexually-transmittable disease or virus
- anxiety, depression or mental or nervous disorders (unless covered separately)
- participation in hunting, racing, polo playing, hang gliding, off-piste snow skiing or snowboarding (unless covered separately), rodeo riding, base jumping, mountaineering or professional sports activities
- scuba diving (unless qualified or with a qualified instructor)
- motorcycling (unless covered separately)
- consequential loss including loss of enjoyment
- complications following elective surgery
- travelling in international waters in a privately registered sailing vessel.
Activities which are automatically covered on all Travelsure policies include abseiling, paragliding, white water rafting, ballooning, parasailing, bungee jumping, skydiving and working holidays.
You can also purchase additional cover for motorcycle and moped riding and will be covered as a rider or passenger providing:
- the engine capacity is no more than 200cc
- you are wearing a helmet
- you are not riding in a professional capacity
- you are not racing
- you hold a licence that is valid in the relevant country.
You can also apply for additional cover for snow skiing, snowboarding and snowmobiling and you will be covered providing you are not skiing or snowboarding off-piste, you are not racing and are not participating in a professional capacity.
This one time ... band-camp didn't happen
Jim was an accomplished flutist. His band was getting reading for a music tour around Europe. Tickets – booked. Flights – paid for.
Unfortunately, just before Jim was due to depart for his band-camp, he was involved in a car accident. He injured his back and arm, which meant that not only was he unable to sit for long periods of time, he was also unable to play his flute. Jim was forced to cancel his holiday.
Luckily, Jim had taken out insurance with Travelsure and was able to make a claim for his non-refundable travel arrangements.
All he had to do was provide Travelsure with a doctor’s letter stating he was unfit to travel. Jim was covered under the Amendment or Cancellation section of his policy, which provides cover if your trip is cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances.
All Travelsure policies give you access to Travelsure’s emergency assistance partner Customer Care, which handles over 30,000 cases a year. As well as 24/7 emergency assistance, Customer Care also provides the following services:
- Medical treatment – they can help you find medical facilities overseas and can monitor your medical care.
- Payment of hospital bills – they can pay your hospital bills directly to the hospital.
- Evacuation or repatriation – they can decide if evacuation or repatriation is needed and coordinate the process.
- Lost document assistance – they can help if you lose your passport, travel documents or credit cards.
- Changes to travel plans – they can assist you in changing your travel plans in an emergency.
Is Travelsure right for you?
It can be hard finding a policy that is inexpensive and yet provides comprehensive cover and even harder finding one that includes circumstances not usually covered by other providers. But Travelsure seems to tick all the boxes and offers sound cover at a down–to-earth price for anyone contemplating travelling overseas.