Taking a trip? Thomas Cook Money travel insurance will get you there and back again without a hitch.
Thomas Cook was a cabinet maker who ran tours in England and overseas back in the late 1800s, making the company one of the oldest travel companies in the world. Today, Thomas Cook is used by 22 million travellers each year. And now with its travel insurance offering, Thomas Cook has policies to keep you safe against the dangers of traipsing abroad.
What policies does Thomas Cook offer?
Thomas Cook allows you to choose from three different policies:
- Prime cover. This is the most comprehensive policy on offer, providing a wide variety of protections against different problems that may befall you on your trip. This includes unlimited medical coverage, compensation for changed travel plans due to delays or misfortune, and insurance for your important belongings.
- Select cover. This policy is similar to Prime Cover, but with many of the luxury extras removed or reduced. It still provides unlimited medical coverage and limited compensation for cancellation fees or lost personal belongings.
- Essential cover. This is the most basic policy, designed to provide you with the minimum protection you need to get on a plane and go. It provides unlimited medical coverage and some legal liability, but little else.
|Cover Feature||Prime Cover||Select Cover||Essential Cover|
|Overseas medical + hospital|
|Overseas funeral expenses|
|Emergency medical transport|
|Loss of income|
|Travel delay expenses and airfare for resumption of travel|
|Alternative transport costs for special events|
|Theft of or damage to personal items|
|Emergency non-medical expenses|
What additional options does Thomas Cook offer?
For each policy offered above, there are a few optional extras you can add on for your holiday to get some additional specialised coverage:
- Cruise pack. If you are going to be on board a sea or ocean cruise for two or more nights during your holiday, you won't have coverage unless you purchase this option. Cancellation fees are extended towards events and transport associated with the cruise.
- Snow pack. If you're intending to hit the slopes, the snow pack will cover related medical expenses, damage, loss and hire costs of snow gear, and unforeseen circumstance compensation for piste closure, bad weather and avalanche closure. Not available when travelling in Australia.
- Rental vehicle excess pack. This option provides cover for accidents, damage to or loss of vehicles you hire while overseas.
What isn't covered by Thomas Cook?
As with any insurance policy, there are a number of situations and circumstances Thomas Cook will not cover. The most important are as follows:
- Illegal or irresponsible behaviour. This applies if you were doing something criminal or not acting responsibly (e.g. you were drunk) at the time of the incident.
- Failure to plan correctly. If you didn't obtain the right visas or travel documents, or you made an error when booking.
- Lack of precautions. If you fail to heed government or media-issued warnings about travel to particular regions or you don't take action to minimise loss. This includes intentional exposure of yourself to harm.
- Natural wear and tear. If the damage is the result of mildew or corrosion or a mechanical or electrical breakdown.
- Dangerous activities. If you ride a motorcycle without a helmet, rock climb or mountaineer, participate in a professional sporting activity or dive with a breathing apparatus without proper license or instruction.
- Pre-existing conditions. If the claim arises from a pre-existing medical condition, unless it is specifically covered and your insurer is aware of it before you travel.
Why should I consider Thomas Cook?
- Expertise. These policies are underwritten by Lloyd's, which is one of the world's leading insurance brands. They have a vast pool of experience in providing insurance.
- Cooling-off period. If you change your mind about your policy, you have 14 days to obtain a full refund of your premium.
- 24/7 emergency assistance. No matter where you are in the world, you can get assistance any time of the day.
- Kids go free. Children under the age of 19 travel free.