See what policies are on offer from Student Flights Travel Insurance.
As the name suggests, Student Flights Travel Insurance caters for the younger traveller and also the young at heart, offering comprehensive cover whether you’re travelling on a budget or on a grand tour.
Student Flights Travel Insurance is underwritten by Great Lakes Australia, which is part of the Munich Re Group, one of the largest insurance groups in the world and is administered by Cover-More Insurance Services.
Compare travel insurance quotes from 20+ brands
Made a search before? Retrieve your search results
Type or Select your destination(s)
Read Our Review on Student Flights Travel Insurance
- Student Flights Travel Insurance Featured Benefits
- Student Flights Travel Insurance Policy Inclusions and Options
- Student Flights Travel Insurance Treatment of Pre-Existing Medical Conditions
- Student Flights Travel Insurance Claims Process
- Student Flights Travel Insurance general exclusions
- Apply for Student Flights Travel Insurance
Student Flights Travel Insurance featured benefits
Student Flights Travel Insurance provides affordable cover in the following events and circumstances:
- Medical cover for overseas hospital, medical, surgical, nursing, ambulance expenses, emergency dental and medical evacuation
- Cancellation cover, which you can select at a level that suits your needs
- Additional expenses cover for emergency accommodation and transport expenses if your journey is disrupted by unforeseen circumstances
- Rental car insurance, which covers the excess you must pay in the event of an accident
- Reimbursement of cash, bank or currency notes, postal or money orders that are lost or stolen during your trip
- Travel delay cover if your pre-booked transport is temporarily delayed for at least six hours due to unforeseen circumstances
- Resumption of journey cover if you were forced to return to Australia and now wish to resume your trip
- Special events cover for additional costs incurred in arriving on time for a special event such as a wedding or funeral after being delayed
- Hospital incidentals cover for incidentals such as phone calls while you are hospitalised
- Hijacking cover if your public transport is forcibly detained by hijackers
- Loss of income, which covers you if you suffer an accident or injury overseas that prevents you from returning to work when you get home
- Disability cover if you lose sight in one or both eyes or the use of one or more limbs due to an accident or injury
- Accidental death, which pays your beneficiaries in the event of your sudden and accidental death
- Personal liability cover, which covers compensation and legal costs if you injure a third party or damage their property
Student Flights Travel Insurance policy inclusions and options
Student Flights Travel Insurance plans offer a lot of flexibility, with some unexpected inclusions and a range of additional options available. Some inclusions you would not expect to find in a normal policy include:
- Automatic cover for adventure activities such as abseiling, ballooning, bungee jumping, jet boating, jet skiing, parasailing, skydiving, snorkelling and white water rafting (conditions apply. See policy for details)
- Coverage for working holidays
- Coverage for motorcycle and moped riding, providing the motorcycle is 200cc or less, you are wearing a helmet, you are not racing and you hold a valid licence
As well as some unexpected inclusions, Student Flights Travel Insurance plans give you the following additional options:
- To select single trip or annual multi-trip cover
- To choose the level of excess you pay on claims
- To select the amount of cancellation cover you require
- To extend your journey by purchasing an additional policy overseas
- To purchase additional cover for skiing, snowboarding or snowmobiling during your journey.
Student Flights Travel Insurance treatment of pre-existing medical conditions
All travel insurance policies include restrictions relating to pre-existing medical conditions. With Student Flights Travel Insurance plans, there are three categories of medical conditions:
- Conditions that are automatically covered for free
- Conditions that cannot be covered
- Conditions that need to be assessed.
A pre-existing medical condition is any physical condition, illness or disease for which treatment has been sought or prescribed or any chronic, ongoing condition that has been medically documented prior to purchasing your policy.
Conditions that are automatically covered for free in Student Flights Travel Insurance plans include conditions such as:
- Some cancers
- Hiatus hernia
- Hypertension and ulcers
All subject to certain conditions outlined in the policies.
Conditions which cannot be covered under any circumstances include conditions involving the back or neck, drug or alcohol dependency or for which you are travelling to seek medical treatment or travelling against the advice of a doctor.
Conditions that need to be assessed by the insurer include heart or lung conditions, reduced immunity as a result of medical treatment and pregnancy in certain circumstances.Back to top
Student Flights Travel Insurance claims process
The process for calculating and paying a claim with Student Flights Travel Insurance is similar to that followed by most travel insurance brands. The benefit is payable when an insured event occurs during the period of insurance and once the claim is accepted by the insurer.
The amount payable at that time will depend on a number of factors such as:
- The amount of loss, damage or liability incurred
- The excess selected at the time of taking out the policy
- The maximum benefit limits and sub-limits that apply
- Reasonable depreciation of the items being claimed for
- The terms and conditions of the policy.
A typical example of how a claim is calculated would be as follows:
- Your new camera costing $4,000 is stolen
- You have chosen to pay no excess
- You have not paid to increase the standard limit per item
- The camera is new, so depreciation does not apply
- The maximum item limit payable for cameras is $3,500
- No excess is deducted
- The amount payable is therefore $3,500.
Student Flights Travel Insurance general exclusions
All travel insurance policies have restrictions regarding pre-existing medical conditions, similar to those described above, and they also have other exclusions or circumstances in which cover is not available. In the case of Student Flights Travel Insurance, the exclusions listed in the Product Disclosure Statement include:
- Claims for costs incurred outside the period of insurance
- Claims involving air travel other than as a passenger on a fully licensed passenger aircraft
- Claims arising out of war, invasion, insurrection or military coups
- Claims arising from nuclear reaction, contamination or radioactivity
- Loss or damage of goods caused by official detention, confiscation or destruction
- Claims arising from any unlawful act committed by the insured
- Claims arising from government prohibition, regulation or intervention
- Claims relating to travel taken against the advice of a medical adviser or after a terminal illness had been diagnosed
- Any claims where you have failed to take reasonable care
- Claims arising from pregnancy complications or medically assisted conception
- Claims involving suicide, attempted suicide, self-inflicted injury, the transmission of a sexually transmitted disease or while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Claims arising from anxiety, depression or mental or nervous disorders
- Claims involving participation in hunting; racing, polo playing, hang gliding, snow skiing, snowboarding, rodeo riding, base jumping, motocross, freestyle BMX riding, running with the bulls, professional sports, mountaineering and scuba diving, unless with a qualified instructor or with an open water diving certificate
- Claims involving consequential loss, such as loss of enjoyment
- Any GST liability or penalty due to failure to disclose your input tax credit entitlement for the amount payable
- Losses for which insurance is prohibited by law
- Claims arising from complications following elective surgery
- Claims involving travel in international waters in a private sailing vessel or privately registered vessel
- Claims arising from the failure of a travel agent, tour operator, accommodation provider, airline or car rental agency to provide services due to insolvency
Apply for Student Flights Travel Insurance
The take out from this guide should be that Student Flights Travel Insurance provides comprehensive cover for a range of possible events and is ideal for the young and more adventurous among us who appreciate the flexibility and additional cover options such insurance offers. And when it comes at an affordable price as well, it’s a win-win situation for everyone.