MyCover Travel Insurance

Is MyCover Travel Insurance the Right Option for Your Next Trip?

MyCover Travel Insurance has a range of policies for holiday and business travellers, which are designed to suit a variety of travel plans and budgets. Underwritten by Allianz, one of Australia’s largest and most respected insurance companies, MyCover Travel Insurance is protection you can trust.

There are four different plan types to choose from with MyCover Travel Insurance. These include comprehensive international cover, Australia only cover, budget cover and frequent traveller cover.

With MyCover, policies can be bought online and tailored to your specific requirements. does not currently have access to this travel insurance brand. You may wish to compare options available on the travel insurance homepage.

MyCover Benefits

The following is a summary of the benefits payable under a MyCover Travel Insurance policy.

  • Cancellation fees and lost deposits – covers fees and deposits for prepaid travel arrangements lost due to unforeseen circumstances beyond your control.
  • Overseas emergency medical assistance – covers emergency medical assistance, ambulance costs, medical evacuations, funeral arrangements, messages to family at home and hospital guarantees.
  • Overseas emergency medical, hospital and dental expenses – covers medical treatment, hospitalisation, surgery, nursing and emergency dental treatment.
  • Additional expenses – covers additional accommodation and travel expenses due to injury, illness or death for yourself and a relative or travelling companion.
  • Hospital cash allowance – an allowance of $50 a day if you are hospitalised for more than 48 continuous hours.
  • Accidental death – benefit payable if your death is the result of accidental bodily injury sustained during your trip.
  • Permanent disability – benefit payable if you lose the use of one or both eyes or one limb because of an injury sustained on your trip.
  • Loss of income – benefit payable if you are deemed unable to work due to an injury sustained on your trip.
  • Travel documents, credit cards and travellers cheques – covers replacement costs of lost or stolen travel documents.
  • Theft of cash – up to $250 for theft of cash, bank notes, postal orders and money orders.
  • Luggage and personal effects – cover for repair or replacement of damaged or stolen luggage and personal items.
  • Luggage and personal effects delay – cover to purchase essential items if luggage is delayed, misdirected or misplaced by a carrier for more than 12 hours.
  • Travel delay expenses – cover for additional meals and accommodation if your journey is disrupted for more than six hours.
  • Alternative transport expenses – cover for additional travel expenses to reach events such as weddings, funerals, conferences and sporting events after experiencing delays.
  • Personal liability – cover for bodily injuries or property damage to third parties.
  • Rental vehicle – cover for the excess payable to your rental car company if your rental car is stolen or damaged.
Back to top

MyCover Travel Insurance Additional Options

Additional options that are available with MyCover Travel Insurance include increased luggage and personal effects cover, which allows you to purchase additional cover up to $5,000 for specific items of value (excluding jewellery) by paying an additional premium of $40 per $1,000 of cover.

Another option that is available to purchasers of the Comprehensive, Budget (International) or Annual Frequent Travellers plans is to remove the standard excess on these plans by paying an additional premium of $25.

Back to top

Travel Insurance for Pre-existing Medical Conditions

As with most travel insurance policies, MyCover Travel Insurance does not cover some pre-existing medical conditions, although you can apply for pre-existing medical conditions cover for some conditions under plans Comprehensive and Australia Only.

Conditions which are covered automatically and require no declaration include asthma, osteoporosis, cataracts, epilepsy and hiatus hernia, as long as they have not caused you to be hospitalised in the past two years.

Conditions that MyCover Travel Insurance will not cover include:

  • Cancers and secondary cancers
  • Conditions for which you have recently undergone surgery
  • Conditions for which surgery is planned
  • Conditions you are aware of, but have not yet sought a medical opinion about
  • Conditions that are under investigation or awaiting a specialist opinion
  • Conditions for which you have had spinal or brain surgery
  • Conditions that have caused a seizure in the past 12 months
  • Chronic or recurring pain requiring regular medication
  • Mental illness including dementia, depression, anxiety, stress, autism and drug or alcohol addiction
  • Bleeding complications, strokes or haemorrhages if Warfarin has ever been prescribed
  • Cardiovascular disease
  • Chronic lung disease
  • Pregnancy complications.
Back to top

General Exclusions for MyCover Travel Insurance

As well as some pre-existing medical conditions, MyCover Travel Insurance is subject to certain exclusions, or circumstances in that cover will not be provided. These include:

  • Failing to act responsibly to protect yourself and your property
  • Failing to do all you can to reduce your loss
  • Claims for consequential loss (e.g. loss of enjoyment)
  • Being aware of something that would lead to your claim at the time of purchasing your policy (known circumstance)
  • Claims for losses that are recoverable through other means (e.g. compensation)
  • Failing to obtain the correct travel documents
  • Acting illegally or breaking government regulations
  • Claims for items confiscated or destroyed by a government authority
  • Claims in relation to motorcycles, when you don’t have an Australian motorcycle licence
  • Ignoring a government travel warning
  • Claims involving acts of war, insurrection or military coups
  • Claims that are nuclear-related
  • Claims related to biological or chemical warfare or terrorism
  • Travelling against the advice of a medical adviser
  • Claims related to pregnancy or childbirth complications
  • Claims for treatment of an addiction or rehabilitation expenses
  • Claims involving suicide or attempted suicide
  • Claims involving sexually-transmitted diseases
  • Being under the influence of non-prescribed drugs or alcohol
  • Pursuing a risky activity such as open water sailing, mountaineering, rock climbing, professional sport, parachuting or hang gliding
  • Scuba diving without a licensed instructor or a current Australian diving licence
  • Being a passenger in an air-supported device other than a licensed passenger aircraft.
Back to top

How to Make a Travel Insurance Claim with MyCover

If you should ever have to make a claim on your MyCover Travel Insurance policy, here’s how to go about it:

  • For medical, hospital or dental claims, contact Allianz Global Assistance as soon as possible.
  • For damage or loss of luggage and personal effects, report the incident immediately to local police and obtain a written report from them.
  • For damage or loss of luggage and personal effects by a carrier or other provider, report the incident to an appropriate official and obtain a written report from them.
  • Complete the claim form and send it to MyCover’s Client Services department within 30 days, along with all necessary accompanying documentation, such as police reports, receipts of ownership, doctor’s reports etc.
  • Wait for your claim to be assessed, which will be done as quickly as possible.
Back to top

MyCover Travel Insurance FAQs

Q. How do I work out the international region that I'm travelling to?

  • A. MyCover regions are rated in order of price from highest to lowest and are Worldwide, Europe, Asia and Pacific.

Q. What is an excess?

  • A. The amount you must pay upfront for each claim made under your policy. You can think of it as the deductible on your insurance.

Q. Is MyCover Travel Insurance available to people over 76 years of age?

  • A. MyCover Comprehensive and Australia Only covers travellers up to 81 years old and Budget and Annual Frequent Traveller covers under 71 years old.

Q. Am I covered if I work while I am overseas?

  • A. No. MyCover Travel Insurance is for leisure travellers and if you injure yourself while working overseas, you would need to seek compensation from your international employer.

Q. Can I get a partial refund if I come home prematurely from my holiday?

  • A. No. Once the 14 day cooling off period has passed, there are no refunds on your policy.

Q. Why do you not cover medical expenses within Australia?

  • A. Because in Australia, you are covered by Medicare or your private health insurance.

MyCover Travel Insurance

MyCover Travel Insurance offers sound protection for Australians overseas. The comprehensive policy includes cover for a range of different circumstances that make it invaluable for those wanting complete peace of mind while on holiday. And the ease with which you can select the benefits you want online make it a straightforward and satisfying way to buy travel insurance.

Back to top
Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Related Posts

Ask a Question

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Disclaimer: At we provide factual information and general advice. Before you make any decision about a product read the Product Disclosure Statement and consider your own circumstances to decide whether it is appropriate for you.
Rates and fees mentioned in comments are correct at the time of publication.
By submitting this question you agree to the privacy policy, receive follow up emails related to and to create a user account where further replies to your questions will be sent.

Ask a question