Find Travel Cover with Lonely Planet
Since the companies beginnings over 40 years ago, Lonely Planet has grown to become the world’s most successful travel publisher with over 100 million books published worldwide. Lonely Planet has since expanded to now offer travel booking solutions for Hotels, Flights and Insurance. The site is well respected when it comes to providing travel destination information and reviews, it therefore comes as no surprise that they would also offer travel insurance giving customers a holistic travel service. Lonely Planet offers Travel Insurance through world renowned provider World Nomads.
- Why Lonely Planet Has Chosen World Nomads as their Insurance Provider
- What does the Lonely Planet Travel Insurance Cover?
- What does Lonely Planet Travel Insurance Not Cover?
- Lonely Planet Travel Insurance Assistance
- How to Make a Claim with Lonely Planet
- What does Lonely Planet Travel Insurance Not Cover?
Why Lonely Planet Has Chosen World Nomads as their Insurance Provider
You can acquire the Lonely Planet Travel cover through World Nomads. World Nomads was established to help provide independent and adventurous travellers with safety while on the road.
Benefits of taking out cover with World Nomads
- The company has an experienced team of underwriters who work with Lonely Planet to offer quality travel insurance
- World Nomads works with some of the best underwriting companies including Lloyd’s, Bupa Global Travel, Millstream Underwriting Limited, Travel Guard and Nationwide Insurance and they serve travellers from more than 140 countries across the globe including Australia
- World Nomads offers cover for a range of adventure activities
- Customers can claim online and receive access to 24/7 phone assistance
- Customers can extend their policy while travelling
- Cover can be purchased online even if you have already left for your trip
- Customers have the option to support a range of different communities across the globe through the Footprints Network community foundations. All customers have to do is purchase a policy and contribute a small donation
- You can create your travel journal online and stay in touch with friends or family while away
What does the Lonely Planet Travel Insurance Cover?
Lonely Planet travel insurance provides cover for travellers aged up to 70 years old and it is underwritten by Lloyds. You can acquire the travel policy as an individual, couple or duo and family. Below is an overview of the different cover provided through this insurer.
- Overseas medical costs: You are covered for emergency medical treatment abroad and the treatment could be in a hospital or clinic. This cover includes medication and physiotherapy if prescribed. Emergency dental care is also covered.
- Emergency medical repatriation and transport: Lonely Planet will cover the cost of emergency medical evacuation if you are injured or if you fall sick. This not only covers ambulance services, but medical repatriation back home and transport of your remains if you pass away. The policy also covers reasonable travel and accommodation expenses for a relative or friend to accompany you.
24 hour assistance: You have access to 24 hour assistance and you can contact the customer service team when you require immediate medical assistance or repatriation.
- Out-of-pocket expenses in hospital: You will receive a daily allowance to reimburse you for extra expenses incurred while in hospital.
- Cancellation costs: Lonely Planet covers the cancellation costs of up to 14 insured events. This covers non-refundable and unused expenses such as tours, travel agency fees, accommodation, transport and others.
- Baggage delay: This travel insurance policy will cover baggage delays of more than 12 hours and replace the cost of purchasing personal items as well as change of clothes.
- Kidnap or hijack: Not many travel insurance policies are willing to cover you for a kidnap or hijack, but Lonely Planet will. You policy will offer a payment for your ransom.
- Others: Other features covered with your Lonely Planet travel insurance policy are: compassionate emergency visit home, clinical psychology due to trauma or assault, trip interruption costs, resumption of trip, travel documents, credit cards and passport, accidental death & permanent disablement, personal liability and others.
What does Lonely Planet Travel Insurance Not Cover?
Before purchasing any travel insurance cover, you need to find out what the exclusions are. Below is what you are not covered against:
- Pre-existing medical conditions that are not listed in your policy under health conditions
- Medical treatment received from public funded services or health care received under a reciprocal health care agreement between Australia and other countries
- Medical conditions suffered before the insurance policy was taken out unless agreed to by Lonely Planet
- Ignoring medical advice from your doctor, specialty assist or your insurer. Subsequent medical expenses arising as a result of ignoring medical advice will not be considered
- Unreasonable or unnecessary medical expenses
- Medical expenses arising from treatments which can be delayed until your return home
- Alternative therapies chosen over your prescribed medical care
- Medical treatment claims that are not accompanied by verification from the doctor through clinical notes, medical reports or even lack of proof of expense
- Elective or routine treatment
- Dental treatments as a result of poor dental health such as decayed teeth, deterioration of dental tissue, cosmetic dentistry and others
- Additional hospital expenses arising from your preference of a private room unless medically recommended
- Self-administered treatments or treatments administered by a person who is not authorised such as a friend or relative. Medical treatments must be administered by a specialty assist, medical consultant or practitioner
- Costs related to the maintenance of medication or treatment which begun before you purchased the travel insurance cover
- Expenses related to alternative therapies that have not been purchased as part of the Explorer Plan
- Read through the other general exclusion listed with your policy to get a good understanding on what you are not covered against
Lonely Planet Travel Insurance Assistance
Lonely Planet travel insurance gives you emergency assistance when travelling overseas. You can get assistance by reaching World Nomads 24 hour emergency assistance numbers from any part of the world. There are emergency phone numbers that are designated for your country of residence.
How to Make a Claim with Lonely Planet
With the Lonely Planet travel insurance policy, you can make your claim when you get back home from your trip or while away. The travel insurance provider recognises that you may wish to extend your trip and they have designed a claims system that allows insured travellers to make claims online. The claims department will liaise with you while away to ensure that they have the necessary information and documents to process your claim.
The claimable event needs to have taken place during your trip and your travel policy needs to have been valid at the time of the loss. Make sure that you refer to your policy to view what you can and cannot claim for.
You can make a claim even if you do not have the original receipts for your personal items. You will still need to give your insurer proof of ownership of the items claimed and this could be in the form of credit card or bank statements, manuals, warranty card, or even photographic evidence.
There are two ways in which your claim can be processed. One, the expenses can be paid upfront and this is mostly in medical emergencies. Secondly, you can pay the expenses and claim a reimbursement later.