2019 Finder Award winners revealed. Get the best for you.
Huddle Travel Insurance
Australia-based Huddle offers choices for travellers
Whether visiting exotic locales overseas or discovering new venues in Australia, travellers should consider the common pitfalls associated with taking your life on the road. Medical issues, lost or stolen property and unexpected transport cancellations can quickly turn a dream holiday into a challenge. Australia-based Huddle Travel Insurance offers to take those risks out of the picture with its range of travel insurance cover options.
Compare your travel insurance quotes
Made a search before? Retrieve your search results
Type or Select your destination(s)
What travel insurance policies does Huddle offer?
Huddle offers both Basic and Comprehensive travel insurance policies. Here’s a comparison between the two cover options:
Compare Huddle’s Basic versus Comprehensive policies
|Benefit||Basic policy||Comprehensive policy||Excess|
|Overseas emergency medical assistance||$100 per person per claim|
|Overseas emergency medical and hospital expenses||$100 per person per claim|
|Cancellation fees and lost deposits||$5,000*||$12,000*||$100 per person per claim|
|Additional expenses||$12,000*||$100 per person per claim|
|Hospital cash allowance||$5,000||Nil|
|Loss of income||$10,000||Nil|
|Travel documents, credit card and traveller’s cheques||$5,000||$100 per person per claim|
|Theft of cash||$250||$100 per person per claim|
|Luggage and personal effects||$5,000||$10,000*||$100 per person per claim|
|Luggage and personal effects delay expenses||$750||Nil|
|Travel delay expenses||$2,000||Nil|
|Special events||$5,000||$100 per person per claim|
|Personal liability||$1 million||$2 million||$100 per person per claim|
|Rental vehicle excess||$5,000*||$100 per person per claim|
|Dependant children go free||$100 per person per claim|
*Sub-limits apply to these benefits
What additional options are there?
- Winter sports. Huddle offers extensive cover for those who are hitting the slopes. You can extend your cover to include recreational skiing and snowboarding, ice skating, tobogganing, ice hockey and much more. Exclusions apply, so ensure you read the product disclosure statement (PDS) in detail.
- Specified luggage and personal effects. If you’re bringing an expensive camera or laptop on a trip with you, there is an option to take out extra cover for these valuables (up to $5,000). You’ll have to specify which items you want cover for.
- Excess removal. By paying an additional premium you can reduce your policy excess to zero.
What are the exclusions?
As with every insurance policy, there are certain things that you won’t be covered for. Huddle won’t pay out your claim if:
- You are not acting in a responsible way to protect yourself and your property.
- You are acting illegally or breaking any government prohibition, law or regulation, including visa requirements.
- You are driving a motor vehicle without a valid Australian licence.
- You are travelling to a country against the advice of the mass media or any government travel warning.
- You are scuba diving, unless you have an Australian open-water diving licence.
- You are hunting, engaging in open-water sailing, playing polo, mountaineering or rock climbing using ropes or other climbing equipment, parachuting, hang-gliding, or paragliding.
- You are participating in a professional sport in a professional capacity of any kind.
- You are pregnant, unless you satisfy the cover criteria. See PDS for full details.
For a complete list of general exclusions, review the PDS to determine if this is the right policy for you.
What makes Huddle different?
- They’re environmentally friendly. Huddle is known for its philanthropy and environmental awareness. Surplus profits are used to fund the company’s Planet Huddle, which supports the fight against climate change via carbon reduction projects as well as Local Huddle, which supports programs such as Meals on Wheels and surf clubs.
- Kids go free. Huddle covers dependant children free of charge when travelling with an insured parent, grandparent or guardian.
- Claim instantly. Lodge your claim online and, if you’re eligible, cash will go straight into your bank account.
- 43 pre-existing medical conditions are covered. Ensure you check the PDS to see what kinds of conditions are covered.
Who can apply for Huddle Travel Insurance?
Huddle Travel Insurance is available to Australians or permanent residents no more than 79 years old at time of purchase who make that purchase before the travel commences and for travel that begins and ends in Australia.
How do I make a claim?
For medical, hospital or dental claims, Huddle asks that travellers contact the company as soon as practicable to expedite the approval process. Other claims are required to be submitted within 30 days of your return.
Huddle’s claims are processed within 10 business days after receiving a completed claims form with supporting documentation.
Refer to the PDS for additional Huddle claims information.
You might like these...
Ask an Expert