Bankwest travel insurance
Bankwest Travel insurance Review
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder .
Bankwest no longer offers travel insurance as a separate product. However, the information on this page has been kept for the benefit of existing customers.
If you would like to compare travel insurance, click here.
Travel Insurance provides excellent peace of mind to people travelling both interstate and abroad by offering financial protection for expenses that may be incurred due to unexpected losses. Such losses may include flight cancellation, theft or damage to luggage and personal belongings, medical events, car rental excess and many others. It is essential to not only find a policy that will provide an adequate level of cover for your trip but to also find an insurer that you feel comfortable with and will provide the best support when you need it most.
Who is Bankwest?
At Bankwest, they have a mission to make banking a more positive experience for everyone. With their Easy Banking initiative the company is trying to bring about a radical change in the banking world and is setting a new standard for the basics, such as providing real coffee for customers, not having chains on pens and even giving out ice creams on a hot day. Bankwest wants looking after your money to be a positive, rewarding experience, something you might call Easy Banking. Bankwest provides you with a full range of banking products including transaction and savings credit cards and loan accounts. In 2007, the company launched the Bankwest regular saver account for individuals.
Bankwest Travel Insurance provides you with the best travel insurance plans according to your needs. It takes a long time to plan and save for your holiday and only seconds for something to go wrong. Bankwest Travel Insurance believes that with the right level of travel insurance cover, you can leave your worries behind and enjoy the peace of mind knowing your health and belongings are covered. Bankwest Travel Insurance has worked hard to design a range of travel cover products that offer both flexibility and excellent coverage. For this reason they have come up with Secure Travel Insurance and Secure Multi-Trip Travel Insurance. If you are a business traveller or someone who frequently travels around the globe, you may want to consider the Multi-Trip Travel Insurance option, whereas if you are not a frequent flier you can take Secure Travel Insurance. Both policies come with their own set of benefits to provide optimum cover for travellers with different cover requirements.
Giving back to the community
The company is actively involved in community welfare activities and they use their resources to make a real difference in the community. They have pledged their support to their partner charities the Edmund Rice Camp for Kids Royal Flying Doctor Service and Redkite. The travel cover policies provide you with a range of benefits including:
- 24/7 emergency assistance
- Expenses for overseas dental and medical
- Unlimited additional expenses for accommodation and transport in the event you're unable to finish your trip
- Cover for loss or damage to personal baggage
Bankwest Travel Insurance Benefits
Bankwest travel insurance provides cover for an extensive range of losses that may be suffered while travelling. Each benefit will have its own set of conditions so it is important to review the product disclosure statement prior to taking out cover.
Section 1: Cancelled travel and accommodation expenses
In the event of cancelled travel and accommodation expenses the company covers you for:
- Expenses incurred due to any unforeseen circumstances outside your control
- Expenses incurred during the period of insurance providing you have not undertaken the part of the journey you are claiming for
Section 2: Overseas medical and dental expenses
The company will pay for medical expenses if:
- They were incurred because you contracted an illness or sustained an injury during your journey and outside Australia
- The injury or illness is incurred within 12 months of the date the injury or illness first occurred
- You allow the company the option, at their expense and subject to medical advice, of returning you to your home
Section 3: Additional transport and accommodation expenses
Bankwest Travel Insurance will pay your reasonable additional transport and accommodation expenses if:
- You cannot complete your intended journey because you suffer an injury, illness, sickness or disease during your journey
- You have to return to your home in Australia because of the unexpected death, injury, illness, sickness or disease of a relative or your travelling companion during your journey
Section 4: Cash paid while you are in hospital
The company will pay you a cash allowance if:
- They agree to pay your claim for overseas medical expenses under Section 2
- You are a-patient in an overseas hospital for a period of more than 48 hours
Section 5: Delayed transport – accommodation and meal expenses
They will pay your reasonable accommodation and meal expenses if:
- Your transport provider has delayed your scheduled transport departure time for 12 hours or more during your journey
- The cause of delay is outside your control
- These expenses were the direct result of the delay
- The transport provider confirms the delay in writing
Section 6: Personal baggage and travel documents
- The company will indemnify you for loss, damage or theft that occurs to your personal baggage, clothing or personal effects during your journey
- They will decide if they will repair or replace the item or pay you the amount it would cost them to repair or replace the item
- Where the item forms part of a set or pair, they will only pay the replacement value of the actual item that is damaged, lost or stolen.
Section 7: Accidental death
- Bankwest Travel Insurance will pay your estate if you die during your journey and as a direct result of injury
finder.com.au recommends that you refer to the Product Disclosure Statement for details of the additional benefits on different covers.
Bankwest Travel Insurance Claims Process
Bankwest Travel Insurance has worked hard to ensure that making a claim is an extremely straightforward process. Contact details for claims department of interstate and overseas travellers can be found on the Bankwest Travel Insurance website.
You will be required to provide them with the necessary documentation they require to validate your claim. Depending on the nature of your claim, such documents may include:
- Original dental or medical certificate
- Specialist doctor’s reports and police reports
- Proof of ownership this includes items such as packaging, invoices or receipts
- Travel itineraries, airline, train, bus or other transport tickets and luggage tags.
More guides on Finder
7 things I learned from having to cancel my domestic trip | A couple of travel makers
Because unforeseen circumstances do happen.
Bank Australia Commercial Visa credit card
Designed to help you track business spending, this Bank Australia credit card offers cards for employees and interest-free days on purchases.
Defence Bank Foundation Credit Card
This card gives you a way to support a program that matches rescue dogs with veterans in need and enjoy a low interest rate on all your spending.
As Australia reopens, don’t forget travel insurance
Travel insurance isn't just for overseas trips.
Life insurance for 35-year-olds
Compare life insurance policies for 35-year-olds
$1 million life insurance policies
Looking for $1 million life insurance? Compare policies here.
Can I still get life insurance if I’m overweight?
Find out if you can still get life insurance if you’re overweight, what your options are and where to get cover.
Diners Club Personal Card
Diners Club offers a competitive rewards program, travel and shopping perks and can be used at businesses including Coles, Woolworths and Target.
Life insurance for new parents
We talk you through life insurance options for new parents.
You can get swimming pool insurance included with most home and contents insurance policies. Find out who provides cover and what insurance you need.
Ask an Expert