Bankwest travel insurance
Bankwest Travel insurance Review
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Important:Travel insurance rules continue to change as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. We’re working hard to keep up and make sure our guides are up to date, however some information may not be accurate during the pandemic. It’s even more important to double-check all details that matter to you before taking out cover. Please know that some policies may not be available through Finder at this time. Here are some helpful tips:
- If you're buying a policy today, it's unlikely that you'll be covered for border closures
- If your travel plans go against government advice, your policy will most likely be voided and you won't be covered
Bankwest no longer offers travel insurance as a separate product. However, the information on this page has been kept for the benefit of existing customers.
If you would like to compare travel insurance, click here.
Travel Insurance provides excellent peace of mind to people travelling both interstate and abroad by offering financial protection for expenses that may be incurred due to unexpected losses. Such losses may include flight cancellation, theft or damage to luggage and personal belongings, medical events, car rental excess and many others. It is essential to not only find a policy that will provide an adequate level of cover for your trip but to also find an insurer that you feel comfortable with and will provide the best support when you need it most.
Who is Bankwest?
At Bankwest, they have a mission to make banking a more positive experience for everyone. With their Easy Banking initiative the company is trying to bring about a radical change in the banking world and is setting a new standard for the basics, such as providing real coffee for customers, not having chains on pens and even giving out ice creams on a hot day. Bankwest wants looking after your money to be a positive, rewarding experience, something you might call Easy Banking. Bankwest provides you with a full range of banking products including transaction and savings credit cards and loan accounts. In 2007, the company launched the Bankwest regular saver account for individuals.
Bankwest Travel Insurance provides you with the best travel insurance plans according to your needs. It takes a long time to plan and save for your holiday and only seconds for something to go wrong. Bankwest Travel Insurance believes that with the right level of travel insurance cover, you can leave your worries behind and enjoy the peace of mind knowing your health and belongings are covered. Bankwest Travel Insurance has worked hard to design a range of travel cover products that offer both flexibility and excellent coverage. For this reason they have come up with Secure Travel Insurance and Secure Multi-Trip Travel Insurance. If you are a business traveller or someone who frequently travels around the globe, you may want to consider the Multi-Trip Travel Insurance option, whereas if you are not a frequent flier you can take Secure Travel Insurance. Both policies come with their own set of benefits to provide optimum cover for travellers with different cover requirements.
Giving back to the community
The company is actively involved in community welfare activities and they use their resources to make a real difference in the community. They have pledged their support to their partner charities the Edmund Rice Camp for Kids Royal Flying Doctor Service and Redkite. The travel cover policies provide you with a range of benefits including:
- 24/7 emergency assistance
- Expenses for overseas dental and medical
- Unlimited additional expenses for accommodation and transport in the event you're unable to finish your trip
- Cover for loss or damage to personal baggage
Bankwest Travel Insurance Benefits
Bankwest travel insurance provides cover for an extensive range of losses that may be suffered while travelling. Each benefit will have its own set of conditions so it is important to review the product disclosure statement prior to taking out cover.
Section 1: Cancelled travel and accommodation expenses
In the event of cancelled travel and accommodation expenses the company covers you for:
- Expenses incurred due to any unforeseen circumstances outside your control
- Expenses incurred during the period of insurance providing you have not undertaken the part of the journey you are claiming for
Section 2: Overseas medical and dental expenses
The company will pay for medical expenses if:
- They were incurred because you contracted an illness or sustained an injury during your journey and outside Australia
- The injury or illness is incurred within 12 months of the date the injury or illness first occurred
- You allow the company the option, at their expense and subject to medical advice, of returning you to your home
Section 3: Additional transport and accommodation expenses
Bankwest Travel Insurance will pay your reasonable additional transport and accommodation expenses if:
- You cannot complete your intended journey because you suffer an injury, illness, sickness or disease during your journey
- You have to return to your home in Australia because of the unexpected death, injury, illness, sickness or disease of a relative or your travelling companion during your journey
Section 4: Cash paid while you are in hospital
The company will pay you a cash allowance if:
- They agree to pay your claim for overseas medical expenses under Section 2
- You are a-patient in an overseas hospital for a period of more than 48 hours
Section 5: Delayed transport – accommodation and meal expenses
They will pay your reasonable accommodation and meal expenses if:
- Your transport provider has delayed your scheduled transport departure time for 12 hours or more during your journey
- The cause of delay is outside your control
- These expenses were the direct result of the delay
- The transport provider confirms the delay in writing
Section 6: Personal baggage and travel documents
- The company will indemnify you for loss, damage or theft that occurs to your personal baggage, clothing or personal effects during your journey
- They will decide if they will repair or replace the item or pay you the amount it would cost them to repair or replace the item
- Where the item forms part of a set or pair, they will only pay the replacement value of the actual item that is damaged, lost or stolen.
Section 7: Accidental death
- Bankwest Travel Insurance will pay your estate if you die during your journey and as a direct result of injury
finder.com.au recommends that you refer to the Product Disclosure Statement for details of the additional benefits on different covers.
Bankwest Travel Insurance Claims Process
Bankwest Travel Insurance has worked hard to ensure that making a claim is an extremely straightforward process. Contact details for claims department of interstate and overseas travellers can be found on the Bankwest Travel Insurance website.
You will be required to provide them with the necessary documentation they require to validate your claim. Depending on the nature of your claim, such documents may include:
- Original dental or medical certificate
- Specialist doctor’s reports and police reports
- Proof of ownership this includes items such as packaging, invoices or receipts
- Travel itineraries, airline, train, bus or other transport tickets and luggage tags.
More guides on Finder
Best booster seats in Australia
These are the 6 best booster seats you can buy right now in Australia.
Where can I travel from Australia in 2021?
Discover exactly what you need to know about leaving Australia.
HSBC Platinum Credit Card
This card offers 0% interest on balance transfers for 36 months, a discounted $29 first year annual fee and platinum benefits including airport lounge passes and complimentary insurance covers.
American Express Velocity Business Card
The American Express Velocity Business Card earns points per $1 spent and offers complimentary travel insurance and two complimentary Virgin Australia lounge passes each year.
Power outage? Food spoilage insurance
How home insurance can cover you for food spoilage and save you hundreds on wasted food.
What are covered events in home insurance?
All home insurance policies have a common list of covered events. These insured events include things like fire, storm and theft.
Fixtures and fittings: Why they matter in home insurance
Knowing the difference between fixtures and fittings can help you decide which home insurance policy is right for you.
Porsche 911 car insurance
Want to insure a Porsche 911? Here are things we think you should know.
Cheap campervan hire
Catch the latest deals for cheap campervan hire in Australia. Brands include Hippie Campers, Jucy and Spaceships.
Ask an Expert