We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Important:Travel insurance rules continue to change as a result of the pandemic. Some information may not be accurate at this time. It’s even more important to double-check all details that matter to you before taking out cover. Please note:
- Some policies may not be available through Finder at this time
- It’s unlikely that your policy will cover expenses from border closures
Find out what’s covered, what exclusions to look for and get a quote to find out how much BOQ travel insurance costs.
Compare your travel insurance quotes
Made a search before? Retrieve your search results
Type or Select your destination(s)
What are the cover options?
The two cover types are:
- Secure Holiday: Single-trip travel insurance, for a one-off trip
- Secure Business: Annual multi-trip travel insurance, to cover you on multiple trips for a 12-month period
Both policy types are available as Single or Family options. By selecting family cover you can get higher limits to better meet the needs of multiple travellers.
|Feature||What it does||Secure Holiday||Secure Business|
|Cancelled travel and accommodation expenses||Refunds unrecoverable travel and accommodation expenses|
|Overseas medical and dental||Covers overseas medical expenses and repatriation if needed|
Dental injuries are only covered up to $1,000
|Additional transport and accommodation expenses||Covers transport and accommodation expenses incurred following unexpected events while travelling|
|Hospital cash allowance||Pays an allowance for hospital expenses if you are hospitalised for at least 48 hours and a claim has been accepted for overseas medical expenses|
|Delayed transport accommodation and meal allowance||If you have incurred additional accommodation or meal expenses as the result of an unexpected delay from your transport provider of at least 12 hours|
|Personal baggage and travel documents||Covers the cost of repairing or replacing insured luggage, belongings and travel documents|
|Accidental death||Pays out if you die as the result of an injury while travelling|
|Personal liability||Covers legal expenses and compensation cost If you are held legally liable for third party property damage, injury or death on your trip|
|Disability||Pays out if an injury on your trip results in the permanent loss of use of eyes or limbs|
|Resumption of journey||Covers the cost of additional travel expenses for resuming your journey if you had to return unexpectedly to Australia|
|Special event cancellation||Pays for non-refundable special event tickets if you couldn’t attend|
|Delayed baggage emergency purchase allowance||An allowance for buying emergency clothing and toiletries if your bags have gone missing for at least 12 hours|
|Hire car insurance excess||Covers the cost of your rental car insurance excess payments if you get into an accident in a hire car|
|Loss of income||Pays out if you are unable to work after your return to Australia as a result of an accident or illness|
|Substitute person to complete your business||Covers the cost of sending someone else out in your place to complete the business you were travelling for|
This type of cover is suitable all over the world, including Australia. As such, it can be used as domestic travel insurance. Simply pick your appropriate region, or regions, for your upcoming travel needs.
Your premiums may vary depending on which region you select. If you don’t choose an appropriate region, you might not be covered.
What are the pros and cons of BOQ travel insurance?
There are a few pros and cons that set BOQ travel insurance apart from other policies.
- Unlimited cancellation cover
- Unlimited additional expenses cover
- No snow sports cover
- No special adventure sports or golf cover
- No additional cruise cover
This type of policy might be a cost-effective option for getting a high level of cover on more general vacations.
However, it might not be ideal or some types of trip, such as ski holidays, cruises or if you’re planning on undertaking adventure sports while travelling.
What exclusions are there?
BOQ travel insurance will not cover:
- Pre-existing conditions unless approved prior to travel
- Any mental disorders, sexually transmitted infections, and pregnancy- or childbirth-related injuries or illnesses
- Motorcycling, unless it’s a hire motorbike with an engine capacity of 200cc or less, and the driver is holding an appropriate motorcycle licence for the country they’re in
- Any paid work done while overseas, unless it’s for your usual employer in Australia and was arranged prior to commencing your journey
- The financial failure of any travel or accommodation provider
- Cancellation or delayed travel expenses when resulting from terrorism
- Medical expenses or certain other cover types when you’re travelling within Australia
- Injuries or illnesses that resulted from drugs, alcohol or a failure to take appropriate precautions
What sports are not covered?
You are not covered for:
- Professional sports
- Hunting or racing of any kind
- Football of any kind
- Any aerial activity other than flying as a fare-paying passenger in a commercial aircraft
- Mountaineering or rock climbing with ropes or guides
- Diving with a breathing apparatus if you don’t hold an open water diving licence
- Off piste skiing, or any competitive ice and snow sports regardless of whether or not you are competing
There is no set age limit for these policies, but children under one month of age are not covered. Age limits may apply for certain cover types, or be considered when approving or declining to cover certain pre-existing conditions.
How does BOQ travel insurance cover pre-existing conditions?
A range of pre-existing conditions are automatically covered under this travel insurance and do not require you to get approval or incur extra premiums. You can find a list of these and the conditions that apply in the Bank of Queensland travel insurance product disclosure statement (PDS).
For all others you will need to get prior approval from the insurer, and may need to pay extra premiums to get covered.
Bank of Queensland may consider individual applications on a case by case basis and apply additional premiums based on age and health.
How to make a claim
To make claims from within Australia, call 1800 646 279. To make claims outside of Australia, call +61 8987 1625. Alternatively you can email firstname.lastname@example.org.
You will generally be required to quote your policy number and provide a contact phone number.
More guides on Finder
Bank of Queensland 2 Year Intro Rate Variable Home Loan
Read a review of the Bank of Queensland 2 Year Intro Rate Variable Home Loan. This mortgage comes with a competitive discounted rate and a 100% offset account.
Bank of Queensland Economy Home Loan
A basic no-frills home loan that has a competitive rate, the Bank of Queensland Economy Home Loan also allows extra repayments and has free redraw.
Bank of Queensland Clear Path Variable Rate Home Loan
The Bank of Queensland Clear Path Variable Rate Home Loan offers a range of fee-free features, such as an offset account and redraw facility.
Ask an Expert