2019 Finder Award winners revealed. Get the best for you.
A1 Travel Insurance
A1 Travel Insurance Policy Review
A1 travel insurance is available for EU and international residents, offering policies to cover annual multi-trips, single trips, winter sport trips and long stay trips in various destinations around the world. A1 travel insurance products can be tailored to meet your specific travel needs, with options available to add or remove cover you may or may not require.
Compare your travel insurance quotes
Made a search before? Retrieve your search results
Type or Select your destination(s)
A1 Travel Insurance Products Available to International Travellers
International Annual Travel Insurance
If you’re a frequent flyer, this travel insurance might be the best option for you. The plan offers comprehensive cover for an affordable annual premium, giving you protection on single and multiple trips to international destinations all year round. The main points offered under this travel insurance plan are:
- Cover for travellers up to 70 years of age travelling outside their home country
- Choice to buy your travel insurance in $USD, £GBP, and €Euro. All claims are settled in your chosen currency
- Cover for unlimited trips up to 42 or 90 days on each trip
- Offers emergency overseas medical evacuation and cover for overseas medical treatment arranged by Expatriate Healthcare
- Option to include additional cover for loss of luggage, personal liability and any accidents encountered on an overseas trip
- Option to add cover for cancellation and curtailment of your trip, catering for cancellation fees and the cost of returning home early should your trip get cut short by unforeseen events.
International Single Trip Travel Insurance
This plan is suited for single trips outside your home country and is available worldwide for any nationality. The primary policy has a short-term medical coverage to protect you from the high cost of emergency medical treatment and medical evacuation while on a single trip outside your home country. You can however opt for additional cover for loss of property, personal liability and accidents that you may encounter while overseas, and additional cover for trip cancellation and curtailment. The other main points offered under International Single Trip Insurance are:
- Option to purchase your travel insurance in to in $USD, £GBP, and €Euro with claims settlements made in your chosen currency
- Cover for trips of up to 180 days outside your home country
- Available worldwide for travellers up to 70 years of age
- Arranged by Expatriate Healthcare.
Motorhome Hire Excess Insurance
This plan covers you for the excess charges payable for the damage of loss of a rental vehicle. If your hired car gets damaged or stolen, you are usually liable for car hire excess charges even if the damage was not your fault. With this policy, you are covered for any damage to the rental car’s undercarriage, windows, tires and loss or theft of the car keys. Here are the other main benefits offered under Motorhome hire excess insurance:
- Up to 45 day cover for rental cars
- Cover for cars up to ten years old
- An additional driver included under the cover for free
- Available for residents of any country, providing rental excess cover anywhere in the world Rental vehicle key cover included
- Daily rates of as low as £6.65. Policyholders only pay the first £100 on their car hire excess, with the policy covering the rest
- UK and Ireland residents can access "Home Country" pick-up.
Car Hire Excess Insurance
Rental vehicle damage or theft is always a possibility when on an overseas trip. The policy covers you for any damage or theft of a rental car during the entire period of hire, covering the excess charges resulting from damage to the car windows, tyres or undercarriage. Here are the main benefits of car hire excess insurance:
- Daily rates from £2.10 and annual rates from £37.80
- The policy is available to residents of any county
- The cover is valid at all car rental locations within Europe or worldwide
- Policyholders can choose between the "Standard" and "Deluxe" cover
- The Deluxe plan includes a Misfuelling cover and a Car Rental Key cover. The Deluxe annual rate also covers cars hired within a car club scheme
- The Deluxe plan includes cover for hires in your Home Country and hometown pick-ups.
A1 Travel Insurance FAQs
Q. What kinds of policies are available?
- A. A1 travel insurance policies include Single trip cover for 1-94 days, Annual multi-trip cover for either 31, 45 or 62 days per trip and Long stay cover for 4-18 months.
Q. What options are Available on A1 travel insurance?
- A. You have various options available when it comes to customising your travel insurance policy to suit your needs. You can opt to add Winter sports or golf cover or delete cover you do not need such as cancellation or baggage cover.
Q. Are there any Age limits?
- A. Yes, age limits apply depending on the policy you buy. The age limit on the Single and Annual multi-trip cover is 74 years, while the limit on the Long Stay cover is 69 years.
Q. Is there a cooling-off period?
- A. Yes, you are allowed a 14-day cooling-off period within which to cancel your purchased A1 travel insurance policy should you change your mind about it as long as you have not travelled or made a claim on your policy.
Q. What is a policy Excess?
- A. This is the amount the policyholder will be responsible for. A1 Single and Annual trip policies offer a waiver on this Excess under the "Super" or "Elite" options.
Q. Should I disclose my pre-existing medical conditions?
- A. Yes. It is important to disclose any treatment that you have received within 24 months prior to applying for travel insurance so as to be comprehensively covered.
Q. Why would my pre-existing condition need cover?
- A. The cost of medical treatment overseas can be quite costly, which is why you require comprehensive medical cover to cater for any medical expenses you incur.
A1 Travel Insurance claims
If you wish to make a claim for medical emergencies, you should call the 24-hour emergency service line provided on the A1 travel insurance website so as to be directed to an appropriate medical facility. All illnesses, accidents and medical-related incidents that are likely to cost more than £500 must be reported to the emergency service immediately.
Non-emergency claims such as the loss of property or valuables worth more than £100 should be first reported to the police within 24 hours so that a written report may be obtained and sent to the insurer along with the claim form.
In order to make a car hire insurance claim you need to hold on to any receipts related to the rental car claim. The receipts need to be submitted with your claim form within 31 days of the termination of your rental agreement. Claims can be made online or by calling A1 travel insurance on the number provided on their website.Back to top
A1 Travel Insurance Review
A1 travel insurance offers competitively priced and highly flexible insurance policies to EU and international residents. The company is a well-established travel insurance provider with a wide variety of travel insurance policies to cater for the travel needs of different customers. Whether you are looking for travel insurance for multiple trips, a single trip, car hire excess or winter sports cover, A1 travel insurance will have an affordable product that suits you and that can be custom-made to cover your specific travel needs.Back to top
You might like these...
Ask an Expert