Woolworths insurance

Woolworths Travel Insurance

Review 3 levels of cover offered by Woolworths Travel Insurance and choose a policy for your budget.

No matter where you’re travelling in the world, good travel insurance is vital to protect you against the unexpected. Not only does travel insurance offer some security against the possibility of losing the money spent on your holiday, it can also help guarantee peace of mind and emergency medical assistance when you need it most. It’s an important expense for many trips, whether you're heading on a business trip interstate or heading off for an extended getaway overseas.

Woolworths, famous as one of Australia’s largest food retailers, now also offers a range of insurance products which includes travel insurance. Aiming to provide straightforward and affordable cover, Woolworths Travel Insurance offers a range of options that may suit a wide variety of travellers. Read on to find out more about what's on offer, or if you'd like to get a quote follow the secure links below to receive a quote for cover.

Receive quotes for Woolworths policies with free kids cover included

Brands Product Product Details Apply
Woolworths Travel Insurance Comprehensive Travel Insurance

Free Global Roaming SIM with every new Comprehensive policy, T&Cs apply

Unlimited overseas emergency medical expenses

$12,000 cancellation fees and lost deposits

$10,000 luggage and personal effects

$12,000 additional expenses cover

Get quoteMore info
Woolworths Travel Insurance Basic Travel Insurance

Unlimited overseas emergency medical expenses

$5,000 cancellation fees and lost deposits

$5,000 luggage and personal effects

Get quoteMore info
Woolworths Travel Insurance Annual Multi-Trip

Free Global Roaming SIM with every new Comprehensive policy, T&Cs apply

Unlimited overseas emergency medical expenses

$12,000 cancellation fees and lost deposits

$10,000 luggage and personal effects

$12,000 additional expenses

Get quoteMore info
Woolworths Travel Insurance Saver

Unlimited overseas medical and hospital expenses

$2,000 luggage and personal effects cover

$1,000,000 personal liability cover

Complimentary child cover

Get quoteMore info
Woolworths Travel Insurance Ski cover extension

Off piste skiing and snowboarding

Ski equipment

Ski hire

Ski pack

Piste closure

Delayed ski equipment

Loss, theft or damage

Get quoteMore info

Cover is issued by The Hollard Insurance Company Pty Ltd ABN 78 090 584 473 AFSL No. 241436 (Hollard).

Policies available from Woolworths

  • Comprehensive. This policy is designed to offer a high level of cover. Woolworths Comprehensive Travel Insurance provides unlimited cover for overseas medical and hospital expenses and overseas 24-hour emergency assistance, helping ensure that help is on hand when you need it most. It also covers a range of other features, including cancellation and amendment fees, your luggage and personal belongings, loss of travel documents and credit cards, theft of cash, travel delay expenses and plenty more. Children and dependents under the age of 21 are covered for free when travelling with an insured adult, while some benefits are available with increased limits. This cover can be taken out for either worldwide or domestic journeys.
  • Basic. Woolworths Travel Insurance Basic Cover is a no-frills option that aims to provide essential cover at a more affordable price than comprehensive cover. It provides unlimited cover for overseas medical and hospital expenses and overseas 24-hour emergency assistance. In addition, cancellations and amendment fees, as well as your luggage and personal belongings, are all covered. Personal liability cover is included, while you can add on optional extras such as Wintersports Cover. Children and dependents under the age of 21 are covered for free when travelling with an insured adult.
  • Saver. The saver policy is designed to cover you for the bare essentials of your trip while being one of the most affordable Woolworths travel insurance policies. This policy includes unlimited overseas medical and hospital expenses cover and limited cover for lost/stolen luggage and personal effects.
  • Multi Trip. This type of cover is designed with frequent travellers in mind and is an annual policy. If you take more than a few journeys a year and are looking for travel insurance, this could potentially be a much more cost-effective option for you. Providing all the benefits of Woolworths Travel Insurance Comprehensive Cover, Multi Trip Travel Insurance covers multiple domestic and international trips each year—trips simply need to be no longer than 30 days. Features include overseas emergency medical assistance, overseas emergency medical and hospital expenses, and cover for cancellation fees and lost deposits. Children and dependents under the age of 21 are covered for free when travelling with an insured adult.
Back to top

What am I covered for?

Within the terms of your policy, and the conditions that may apply to different cover types, you are covered for:

  • Overseas emergency medical assistance. If you are injured or become sick while overseas, Woolworths Travel Insurance will provide assistance. This may also include the cost of your repatriation to Australia.
  • Overseas emergency medical and hospital expenses. If you injure yourself or become sick while overseas, Woolworths Travel Insurance will reimburse your medical and hospital expenses until you return home.
  • Cancellation fees and lost deposits. If your journey is cancelled or shortened by circumstances beyond your control, for example illness or job loss, your policy will pay your cancellation fees and lost deposits for travel and accommodation costs you have paid in advance and cannot recover.
  • Additional expenses. Woolworths Travel Insurance policies will also cover any extra travel or accommodation expenses incurred while you are unable to travel due to sickness or injury, including the cost of a relative or travelling companion staying by your side until you can return home.
  • Hospital cash allowance. You’ll receive a daily allowance for every day you are in hospital for more than 48 continuous hours overseas. There is no excess applicable to this section.
  • Accidental death. If you die during your journey or as a result of an injury suffered during your journey, your policy will pay an accidental death benefit to your estate.
  • Permanent disability. If you are injured during your trip and become permanently disabled, you’ll receive a benefit payment to help cover expenses.
  • Loss of income. If you’re disabled during your journey and are then unable to return to work, you’ll receive a weekly payment for a period of up to 26 weeks to help cover your loss of income.
  • Travel documents, credit cards and travellers cheques. If your travel documents, credit cards or travellers cheques are lost or stolen during your journey, you’ll be reimbursed for the cost of replacing them.
  • Theft of cash. Woolworths Travel Insurance will pay for cash, bank notes, currency notes, postal orders or money orders stolen from your person.
  • Luggage and personal effects. If your luggage or personal effects are lost, stolen or damaged on your journey, your policy will cover the cost of their repair or replacement.
  • Luggage and personal effects delay expenses. If your luggage or personal effects are delayed or misplaced by a carrier for more than 12 hours, your policy will cover the cost of purchasing emergency essentials such as clothing and toiletries.
  • Travel delay expenses. If circumstances beyond your control cause your journey to be delayed, your policy will cover the resulting additional meals and accommodation expenses.
  • Special events. If cancellations or delays mean you won’t be able to make it to a special event, for example a business conference or a wedding, the cost of additional travel expenses you incur to arrive on time will be covered.
  • Personal liability. This covers you if you are found to be legally liable and must pay compensation to a third party.
  • Rental vehicle excess. This policy feature covers the rental company excess if your rental car is involved in an accident or otherwise stolen or damaged.
Back to top

What won't I be covered for?

  • No cover if you do not act in a responsible way or if you do not act to reduce your loss as much as reasonably possible.
  • No cover if your claim is for a loss which is recoverable by compensation under any workers compensation or transport accident laws or by any government sponsored fund, plan, or medical benefit scheme.
  • You are not covered if your claim arises from errors or omissions in your booking arrangements or from your failure to obtain relevant visa, passport or travel documents.
  • No cover if you were acting illegally.
  • No cover if you’re in control of a motor vehicle without a current Australian licence.
  • There is no cover if your claim arises from riding a motorcycle, moped or scooter without a current Australian motorcycle licence, or if you’re a passenger on one of these vehicles operated by someone without a licence.
  • If you ignore a government travel advisory or advice in the mass media and travel to a particular country, you will not be covered.
  • You will not be covered under acts of war, or if your claim arises from a nuclear reaction or contamination from nuclear weapons or radioactivity.
  • No cover if your claim arises from a pre-existing medical condition.
  • No cover if you’re travelling against your doctor’s advice.
  • There is no cover if your claim arises out of pregnancy, childbirth or related complications, except under certain conditions.
  • No cover if your claims is related to depression, anxiety or mental illness.
  • There is no cover for sexually transmitted diseases.
  • You will not be covered if you engage in open water sailing, play polo, go mountaineering or rock climbing using ropes or climbing equipment (other than for hiking), go paragliding or participate in a range of other activities.

Steps to make a woolworths Travel Insurance claim

For non-emergency claims you must give Woolworths Travel Insurance notice of your claim as soon as reasonably possible by phoning 1300 10 1234. You’ll then be asked to complete and return a claim form, and may be asked to submit a range of information. If you delay in submitting your claim form, Woolworths may reduce the amount you are paid.

For emergency claims you should call MAPFRE Assistance on +61 2 9333 3903 (you can reverse charges from overseas) as soon as possible.

You must supply any documentation Woolworths requests in order to process your claim. This may include police reports, valuations, medical reports, original receipts or proof of ownership. In some cases you may also be required to supply translations of these documents into English.

Different claims also attract different requirements.

  • For medical, hospital or dental claims, contact Woolworths Travel Insurance as soon as possible, or MAPFRE Assistance if it's an emergency.
  • If your luggage and personal effects have been lost or stolen, report this immediately to the police and get a written notice of your report.
  • If your luggage and personal effects have been damaged or misplaced by an airline or other accommodation provider, you’ll need to report it to an appropriate official within 24 hours. Obtain a written report from the airline or provider, including any offer of settlement they may make.

You’ll need to provide full details of your claim in writing within 30 days of your return. Claims are processed within 10 business days of Woolworths receiving your completed claim form and all necessary supporting documentation.

Who can apply for Woolworths Travel Insurance?

In order to be eligible to apply for a Woolworths Travel Insurance policy, you must meet the following criteria:

  • You must be a resident of Australia
  • You must purchase your policy before you commence your journey
  • Your journey has to start and end in Australia
  • You cannot be more than 79 years old at the time you purchase a Comprehensive or Basic policy, and you cannot be more than 75 years of age at the time your purchase an Annual Multi Trip policy
Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Related Posts

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on finder.com.au:

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • finder.com.au is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, read the PDS or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy.

18 Responses

  1. Default Gravatar
    BenJuly 3, 2017

    Hey Travel Insurance Woolworths team

    Just wondering what the situation is if I hire a push-bike and it gets stolen whilst in London?
    All the hire sites just straight up say that you’ll pay for it regardless of the situation of it being stolen.

    Am I covered by comprehensive travel insurance?

    Thank you!

    • Staff
      LiezlJuly 4, 2017Staff

      Hi Ben,

      Thanks for your question. Just to confirm though, you have reached finder, not actually Woolworths.

      Generally, you may be covered for hire equipment if kept in storage but not if unattended. I suggest you call the insurer directly to ascertain this.


  2. Default Gravatar
    WayneApril 13, 2017

    Very disappointed with the way Woolworths dealt with a claim and the amount of time it took the to reject a claim that could have been dealt with in a day. Also the fact that spectacles are not considered as a personal item! page 55 of PDI. In future I will make sure to read 60 pages of small print.

  3. Default Gravatar
    MarinaMarch 14, 2017

    Hi, I am going on a cruise to Great Barrier Reef etc. departing on 12 January 2018 and returning 14 January 2018 and would like a quote on travel insurance for 2 people

    • Staff
      ZubairMarch 15, 2017Staff

      Hi Marina,

      Thank you for your question.

      You have contacted finder.com.au, a comparison and information service and not actually Woolworths Travel Insurance.

      Woolworths Travel Insurance is not currently one of the brands in our panel of travel insurers so you will need to contact them directly. If you would like to receive a quote for cruise travel insurance from the travel insurance brands in our panel, please head to cruise travel insurance home page.

      All the best,

  4. Default Gravatar
    SueFebruary 27, 2017

    Hi, i am traveling to South Africa and will be handling primates (monkeys). Does your travel insurance cover this?

    Thank you,

    • Staff
      ZubairMarch 1, 2017Staff

      Hi Sue,

      Thank you for your inquiry.

      Most insurers won’t usually cover you for handling animals. If this is for a job or volunteer work, it’s a good idea to check with the organiser to see if they provide any cover.


  5. Default Gravatar
    SharvenJuly 31, 2016

    I had a yearly Woolworth Travel Insurance and made a claim on 7th Jul 2016 and only heard from Claim Officer on 29 Jul 2016. In her own version the claim takes 10 days to review/settle and my claim was no done/settled and still she want more info. She never ever bothered to ask me on the 1st or 2nd day of the review that she want more info. I asked can I speak to your Manager/Team Leader/Senior Officer and she replied all are in the meeting and cant pass the message. Very non-ethical.

    • Staff
      RichardAugust 1, 2016Staff

      Hi Sharven,

      Sorry to hear about your experience. If you would like to make a complaint with Woolworth Travel Insurance, you can do so by following the complaints process laid out on this page.

      I hope this was helpful,

  6. Default Gravatar
    kylaMarch 21, 2016


    • Staff
      RichardMarch 21, 2016Staff

      Hi Kyla,

      Thanks for getting in touch. You’ve come through to finder.com.au a financial comparison service. If you would like to contact Woolworths Insurance, you can do so by calling 1300 10 1234 or by completing the online contact form, which you can access by following this link.

      I hope this was helpful,

  7. Default Gravatar
    johnccpaFebruary 1, 2016

    Has anyone had any bad or good experience with Woolworths travel insurance.

  8. Default Gravatar
    September 1, 2015

    We are going on a cruise to NZL. How much extra premium to include insurance on pre-existing condition/illness as my wife is on medication for blood clotting.

    Thanks & regards

    • Staff
      RichardSeptember 1, 2015Staff

      Hi Ernie,

      Thanks for your question. finder.com.au is a comparison service and not an insurer. To find out how Woolworths treat pre-existing conditions you’ll need to get in contact with them, as pre-existing conditions are assessed on a case-by-case basis.

      However, Woolworths have a general exclusion that applies to all sections if you are taking blood-thinning prescription medication.

      I hope this was helpful,

  9. Default Gravatar
    nikiAugust 19, 2015

    Why woolworths is giving me two different quotes when just yesterday I checked n got a quote was for 130 with $0 excess n today it’s showing me different amount. Can someone from woolworths please explain.

    • Staff
      RichardAugust 20, 2015Staff

      Hi Niki,

      Thanks for your question. finder.com.au is a comparison service and not an insurer. You will need to contact Woolworths directly, which you can do by calling 1300 10 1234.

      I hope this was helpful,

  10. Default Gravatar
    RoslynJuly 19, 2015

    Does the basic cover
    Cover me for evacuation of the ship I am going on a cruise to Moreton island just off Brisbane

    • Staff
      RichardJuly 20, 2015Staff

      Hi Roslyn,

      Thanks for your question. According to the Woolworths Travel Insurance PDS, “If You are visiting only Australian ports during Your cruise, then at the time You purchase Your Policy You must specify “Australian Cruise” as Your destination. This must be noted on your Certificate of Insurance as it distinguishes your journey from a non-cruise Australia Only journey.

      I hope this as helpful,

Ask a question