Tilda Travel Insurance
Taking a trip? Get the kids covered for free with Tilda Travel.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder.
Important:Travel insurance rules continue to change as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. We’re working hard to keep up and make sure our guides are up to date, however some information may not be accurate during the pandemic. It’s even more important to double-check all details that matter to you before taking out cover. Please know that some policies may not be available through Finder at this time. Here are some helpful tips:
- If you're buying a policy today, it's unlikely that you'll be covered for any coronavirus-related claims
- If your travel plans go against government advice, your policy will most likely be voided and you won't be covered
Compare your travel insurance quotes
Made a search before? Retrieve your search results
Type or Select your destination(s)
Summary of Tilda's International Prime Cover policy
|Overseas Medical and Hospital Expenses||Unlimited|
|Cancellation and Amendment Fees||$20,000|
|Luggage and Personal Effects||$5,000|
|Maximum Age Limit||70|
Table updated June 2020
What insurance policies does Tilda Travel offer?
Tilda Travel offer 3 levels of cover for both international and domestic policies.
- Prime cover. This is the most comprehensive policy on offer, providing a wide variety of protections against different problems that may befall you on your trip. This includes unlimited medical coverage, compensation for changed travel plans due to delays or misfortune, and insurance for your important belongings.
- Select cover. This policy is similar to Prime Cover, but with many of the luxury extras removed or reduced. It still provides unlimited medical coverage and limited compensation for cancellation fees or lost personal belongings.
- Essential cover. This is the most basic policy, designed to provide you with the minimum protection you need to get on a plane and go. It provides unlimited medical coverage and some legal liability, but little else.
- Prime cover. This option is the highest level of domestic cover that Tilda Travel offer. It covers you for cancellation, theft/damage to property and legal liability.
- Select cover. Offers standard cover for domestic travel, it has all the same benefits as prime cover but for a limited amount.
- Essential cover. The most basic form of cover that Tilda Travel provide for domestic travel, it only covers theft/damage to property and legal liability.
International policy comparison
|Cover Feature||Prime Cover||Select Cover||Essential Cover|
|Overseas medical + hospital|
|Overseas funeral expenses|
|Emergency medical transport|
|Loss of income|
|Travel delay expenses and airfare for resumption of travel|
|Alternative transport costs for special events|
|Theft of or damage to personal items|
|Emergency non-medical expenses|
Table updated: June 2020
What additional options does Tilda Travel insurance offer?
For each policy offered above, there are a few optional extras you can add on for your holiday to get some additional specialised coverage:
- Cruise pack. If you are going to be on board a sea or ocean cruise for two or more nights during your holiday, you won't have coverage unless you purchase this option. Cancellation fees are extended towards events and transport associated with the cruise.
- Snow pack. If you're intending to hit the slopes, the snow pack will cover related medical expenses, damage, loss and hire costs of snow gear, and unforeseen circumstance compensation for piste closure, bad weather and avalanche closure. Not available when travelling in Australia.
- Rental vehicle excess pack. This option provides cover for accidents, damage to or loss of vehicles you hire while overseas.
What isn't covered by Tilda Travel insurance?
As with any insurance policy, there are a number of situations and circumstances Tilda Travel will not cover. The most important are as follows:
- Illegal or irresponsible behaviour. This applies if you were doing something criminal or not acting responsibly (e.g. you were drunk) at the time of the incident.
- Failure to plan correctly. If you didn't obtain the right visas or travel documents, or you made an error when booking.
- Lack of precautions. If you fail to heed government or media-issued warnings about travel to particular regions or you don't take action to minimise loss. This includes intentional exposure of yourself to harm.
- Natural wear and tear. If the damage is the result of mildew or corrosion or a mechanical or electrical breakdown.
- Dangerous activities. If you ride a motorcycle without a helmet, rock climb or mountaineer, participate in a professional sporting activity or dive with a breathing apparatus without proper license or instruction.
- Pre-existing conditions. If the claim arises from a pre-existing medical condition, unless it is specifically covered and your insurer is aware of it before you travel.
Why should I consider Tilda Travel insurance?
- Expertise. These policies are underwritten by certain underwriters at Lloyd’s
- Cooling-off period. If you change your mind about your policy, you have 14 days to obtain a full refund of your premium.
- 24/7 emergency assistance. No matter where you are in the world, you can get assistance any time of the day.
- Kids go free. Dependent children (including grandchildren) under the age of 18 can be covered under your policy as long as they are named on the certificate of insurance.