STA Travel Insurance Review
Want to get insured by a global student brand that is backed by Allianz? Find out more reasons to consider STA for your next trip.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Important:Travel insurance rules continue to change as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. We’re working hard to keep up and make sure our guides are up to date, however some information may not be accurate during the pandemic. It’s even more important to double-check all details that matter to you before taking out cover. Please know that some policies may not be available through Finder at this time. Here are some helpful tips:
- If you're buying a policy today, it's unlikely that you'll be covered for border closures
- If your travel plans go against government advice, your policy will most likely be voided and you won't be covered
Compare your travel insurance quotes
Made a search before? Retrieve your search results
Type or Select your destination(s)
Why should I consider STA Travel Insurance?
- Travel internationally and in Australia. STA's insurance policies offer protection against several potentially expensive travel risks for both overseas and domestic travel.
- Designed for students. As most students usually travel on a pretty tight budget, STA's travel insurance offers affordable coverage options, as well as comprehensive policies.
- Get cover for adventure activities. Cover is available for a range of adventure activities that might typically not be covered under other travel insurance policies.
STA Travel is a global travel agent for students and young people. The company has a worldwide network of more than 450 stores across 75 countries. In Australia and New Zealand, STA boasts more than 60 stores to help student travellers book their dream holidays.
STA boasts an annual turnover in excess of USD$1.1 billion and last year helped more than two million people organise their travel arrangements. In this part of the world, STA started out as a small campus travel service looking to help out students back in the 1970s. It then quickly started growing to become the full service travel retailer it is today.
STA Travel prides itself on the ability to offer personalised service to its customers and helping them plan a travel itinerary that suits their needs. As a global company, STA has plenty of buying power when it comes to dealing with transport and accommodation providers, while it also offers great discounts and deals for students and younger travellers.
In addition to its range of travel booking services, STA also offers competitive travel insurance options to give financial protection to younger travellers.
There are a number of different policy options available from STA Travel Insurance to choose from. Below is a comparison of the cover that it provides:
|Benefit||1. Comprehensive / Multi-Trip||2. Standard Cover||3. Cancellation and Luggage|
|Travel Services Provider Insolvency||$10,000||$10,000||-|
|Overseas Medical and Dental||Unlimited||Unlimited||-|
|Amendment or Cancellation Costs||Unlimited||$5,000||$50,000|
|Luggage and Travel Documents||$12,000||$3,000||$5,000|
|Delayed Luggage Allowance||$1,000||$750||$300|
|Resumption of Trip||$3,000||$3,000||-|
|Loss of Income||$9,000||-||-|
|Medical and Dental Expenses in Australia||-||-||-|
|Rental Vehicle Insurance Excess||Optional||Optional||-|
1. STA Comprehensive
Available on single or annual multi trip
The STA Comprehensive policy offers the highest level of cover. It is designed to insure against an extensive range of travel risks so that you can travel with more confidence and peace of mind.
- Medical. One of the main features of this policy is unlimited cover for insured overseas medical and dental expenses. This includes:
- Emergency medical assistance
- Ambulance transportation
- Hospital and medical costs
- Medical evacuation.
- Additional expenses. Unlimited cover is also included for additional expenses, such as paying for a relative to travel to you when you are hospitalised overseas, and amendment cancellation costs is also included.
- Insolvency. If the insolvency of a travel services provider leaves you out of pocket, you can be reimbursed up to a total of $10,000.
- Lost luggage or travel documents. If your luggage or travel documents are lost or stolen, the cost of repairing or replacing them as necessary may also be covered by your STA Comprehensive policy.
- Delayed Luggage. Sometimes travel delays and misplaced luggage can wreak havoc with your travel plans, which is why this policy includes a benefit payment if your trip is delayed for a certain period due to circumstances beyond your control. There's also an allowance that can help you buy emergency clothing and toiletries when an airline misplaces your luggage.
- Hospital allowance. You'll also receive cover for the theft of cash from your person, hospital incidentals, and the cost of resuming your trip after you or your travelling companion have been ill or injured, with this policy.
- Loss of income. STA Travel Insurance's Comprehensive policy also provides cover for loss of income if you are injured during your trip and unable to return to work, while benefit payments for disability and accidental death are offered as well.
- Personal liability. Finally, you can take advantage of $2.5 million worth of personal liability cover and elect to take out optional protection against expensive car rental insurance excesses.
What happens when I click this?
2. STA Standard Cover
The Essentials policy from STA Travel Insurance is similar in many ways to the Comprehensive policy but with the difference that it offers a lower level of coverage. This means you can still have a range of protection in place but can enjoy a policy that is somewhat more affordable.
- Medical. If you are injured or fall ill while overseas, you can receive unlimited cover for hospital, surgical, nursing, ambulance and emergency dental expenses. Unlimited cover is also available for additional accommodation and travel expenses if you fall ill, lose your travel documents, or have your travel plans disrupted by a strike or natural disaster.
- Cancellation. Sometimes, unforeseen circumstances such as losing your job can force you to cancel a trip which you have already booked and paid for. If this results in you being charged cancellation fees or losing any pre-paid deposits, your policy may enable you to be reimbursed for the cost of all of these.
- Personal liability. There is also $2.5 million of personal liability cover available and the option of taking out cover for rental vehicle insurance excess.
- Luggage. This policy provides $6,000 of cover for luggage and travel documents (as opposed to $12,000 on a Comprehensive policy).
- Delayed luggage. This policy provides $750 for delayed luggage allowance ($1,000 under Comprehensive).
- Travel delay. This policy provides $1,000 for travel delay ($2,000 on Comprehensive).
What happens when I click this?
3. STA Cancellation and Luggage
Available on domestic, annual multi-trip and single trip
Sometimes travellers simply don't require cover for a whole lot of the risks which are usually included in a regular travel insurance policy. With this in mind, STA's Cancellation and Luggage Travel Insurance can help offer a basic level of protection at an affordable price, compared to more comprehensive policies.
- The first area of cover under this policy is for cancellation fees and lost deposits. Sometimes, unexpected events and circumstances can force you to cancel a holiday which you have already booked and paid for in full. For example, you may be retrenched and be no longer able to afford your holiday, or you may need to stay at home to care for a sick relative. When this happens, you may be charged cancellation fees from travel providers or be unable to recoup any deposits you have paid. STA's Cancellation and Luggage policy provides $50,000 of cover for these expenses.
- The second area of cover is for your luggage and travel documents. If your luggage, personal belongings or important travel documents are lost or stolen, STA offers $5,000 of cover to help pay for their repair or replacement.
- Finally, the policy also provides a $250 delayed luggage allowance. In situations where an airline or other travel provider delays your luggage for more than a certain period of time, you can receive funds to help you purchase emergence clothing, toiletries and other items.
What happens when I click this?
What am I not covered for?
You should always read the fine print of a travel insurance policy to determine when you will and will not be covered. Claims will not be paid if:
- It is for costs or expenses that you incur before or after your period of insurance.
- It arises because you commit an unlawful act or if you fail to be honest and disclose any information that could affect your claim.
- You do not take all reasonable precautions to protect yourself and your property and avoid loss or damage.
- It is for consequential loss of any kind, for example loss of enjoyment on your holiday.
This is how STA covers pre-existing medical conditions when you travel:
- Pre-existing conditions that are covered. You are automatically covered for these conditions with no extra premium payable, unless you have been hospitalised the condition in the past 24 months.
- Automatically excluded conditions. No hospital and medical expense cover for these conditions at all.
- Conditions that are undiagnosed or pending specialist opinion. There is no cover for these types of conditions.
- Everything else. You may be able to get cover, but you must declare your condition.
The standard excess payable in claims is as follows:
|International comprehensive and standard||250|
|Annual multi-trip and single trip cancellation||$0|
How do make I claim?
If you're hospitalised make sure you contact Allianz as soon as possible
If you’re hospitalised while overseas or you expect that you will incur medical expenses, contact Allianz Global Assistance by phoning its 24-hour global assistance number.
When making a claim
If you need to make a claim, you’ll need to fill out a claim form (available online) and post it to Allianz Global Assistance. You may also be requested to provide additional information or documentation to support your claim, such as receipts, proof of ownership or police reports.
Some final questions you might have...
Questions about applying
Questions about coverage
Questions about cancelling and changes to policy
Compare STA Travel Insurance policies
STA Travel Insurance offers a range of competitive policies to meet the needs of students and other young travellers. Policies are designed to offer high levels of coverage while at the same time being affordable, with a range of flexible inclusions that may help you tailor a policy to suit your needs. When shopping for insurance, you may want to compare STA's offerings with a number of other products on the market to ensure that you end up with a policy to suit your needs.
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: 55% off Lay-Z Inflatable Spas, $899 Macbook Air laptops, 36% off Nespresso coffee machines.
Best pop-up tents in Australia
If you’re searching for a pop-up tent, we can help you find the perfect option for your needs.
Novo discount codes and coupons April 2021
Enjoy the latest in gorgeous women’s shoes when you shop at Novo. They have everything a girl could want.
Footasylum promo codes and coupons April 2021
Grab a discount code and cut costs on stylish footwear and more online at Footasylum today.
In Essence discount codes and coupons April 2021
Explore an eclectic catalogue of essential oils today and score a discount with one of these In Essence promo codes.
Australis discount codes and coupons April 2021
Check out the latest Australis discount codes and see how much you could save on some new makeup today.
Cariuma discount codes and coupons April 2021
Grab a discount code and cut costs on stylish, eco-friendly footwear online at Cariuma today.
Nokia discount codes and coupons April 2021
Grab a discount code and cut costs on reliable smartphone technology online at Nokia today.
Citi Rewards Card – Bonus Points Offer
Earn flexible rewards points as you spend and enjoy a big 100,000 bonus points offer with the Citi Rewards Credit Card.
Where can I travel from Australia in 2021?
Discover exactly what you need to know about leaving Australia.
Ask an Expert