Probus Travel Insurance
Get cover tailored to seniors and travellers with pre-existing conditions with Probus South Pacific Travel Insurance.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Important:Travel insurance rules continue to change as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. We’re working hard to keep up and make sure our guides are up to date, however some information may not be accurate during the pandemic. It’s even more important to double-check all details that matter to you before taking out cover. Please know that some policies may not be available through Finder at this time. Here are some helpful tips:
- If you're buying a policy today, it's unlikely that you'll be covered for border closures
- If your travel plans go against government advice, your policy will most likely be voided and you won't be covered
Compare your travel insurance quotes
Made a search before? Retrieve your search results
Type or Select your destination(s)
Any number of unexpected events can ruin your holiday plans. You could get injured or fall ill, your luggage could get lost, your wallet could get stolen and disaster can strike at any time. With this in mind, it makes perfect sense to have the appropriate level of travel insurance cover in place to protect your financial and emotional wellbeing if something goes wrong. As the old saying goes, if you can’t afford travel insurance you can’t afford to travel.
Probus South Pacific Limited is an association for active members of the community, and for those no longer working full time, to join together in clubs for a new lease of life. It offers many benefits to its members, one of which is Probus Travel Insurance, which lets you travel the world safe in the knowledge that you are covered if things go wrong.
Who is Probus South Pacific Limited?
Probus aims to advance intellectual and cultural interests among its members, and provides regular social interaction and activities allowing people to expand their interests and make new friends.
Probus traces its origins back to the United Kingdom in the 1960s, when two social clubs were formed. Both clubs were formed to meet the social and intellectual needs of retired businessmen, so they soon joined forces to become the Probus club. The first Probus club in the South Pacific region formed in the mid-1970s, and today Probus is a global movement with a presence in some 23 countries. Probus clubs in Australia and New Zealand are administered by Probus South Pacific Limited, based in Parramatta, NSW.
As well as a range of activities, Probus South Pacific Limited also offers travel insurance to its members. Whether they’re travelling with the club or on their own, Probus members know they have the right cover in place to protect against the unexpected.Back to top
Benefits of Taking Out Probus Travel Insurance Australia
With an emphasis on friendship, fellowship and fun, Probus South Pacific offers many benefits to its members. Its Member Benefits Scheme offers members exclusive discounts from a variety of participating businesses. All you need to do is present your Probus South Pacific Limited membership card.
Probus also offers a number of other benefits to help keep its members young, including international and domestic travel, daytrip excursions, lunches and a range of opportunities to meet new friends. You can get out on the water as part of the Probus Cruise Club, visit exotic and fascinating destinations on a Probus Retreat, and even take part in the annual Probus Rendezvous.
Of course, Probus also offers its members great deals on travel insurance. Probus Travel Insurance is designed specifically for over-55s and is available for one flat fee for travellers up to 100 years of age. Provided by ACE Insurance Limited, Probus Travel Insurance provides comprehensive cover for your travel plans.
It includes features such as personal accident and sickness cover, cover for medical expenses if illness or injury strike during your travels, cover for trip cancellation, cover for lost baggage, as well as a range of other benefits. Read on to find out more.Back to top
Probus Travel Insurance Policy Benefits
Probus South Pacific Travel Insurance policies feature the following benefits:
- Personal Accident and Sickness Cover. If you suffer an injury or sickness while travelling, your insurance will pay you an agreed lump sum or weekly benefit.
- Kidnap and Ransom/Extortion Cover. This policy feature will ensure you are reimbursed for any ransom/extortion money if you’re the victim of extortion or a kidnapping while on holiday.
- Hijack and Detention. Your Probus Travel Insurance policy will pay out an agreed daily amount while a person covered under the policy is subject to a hijack or detention lasting more than 12 hours.
- Medical and Additional Expenses and Cancellation and Curtailment Expenses. This feature includes cover for medical and additional expenses if a covered person dies or suffers an injury or sickness while on holiday, as well as cover for other expenses arising from the death, injury or sickness—ie, additional travel arrangements, forfeited travel costs, and other out-of-pocket expenses.
- ACE Assistance. Policyholders have access to emergency assistance while on a journey.
- Loss of deposits. If unforeseen circumstances, such as illness or job loss, force you to cancel your trip, your Probus Travel Insurance policy will reimburse you for travel and accommodation expenses you would otherwise be unable to recoup.
- Baggage/Business Property, Electronic Equipment, Deprivation of Baggage and Money/Travel Documents. If items such as your baggage, electronic equipment, money or travel documents are lost, stolen or damaged, your policy will provide cover.
- Alternative Employee/Resumption of Assignment Expenses. Your policy will cover a range of expenses if you die, fall sick or are injured, or if you make a claim for Cancellation and Curtailment Expenses.
- Personal Liability. This benefit provides cover if you become legally liable to pay damages to another person. Certain legal expenses are also covered.
- Rental Vehicle Excess Waiver. If your rental car is stolen, damaged or involved in an accident, Probus Travel Insurance will cover your rental vehicle excess. This cover only applies for trips in Australia greater than 50km.
- Extra Territorial Workers’ Compensation. Probus travel cover indemnifies the policyholder for certain non-statutory workers compensation benefits payable in the covered circumstances.
- Missed Transport Connection. If circumstances beyond your control (ie a delayed flight) cause you to miss a transport connection, your insurance will cover the extra expenses you incur to use alternative public transport services to get to your destination on time.
- Overbooked Flight. If you are denied boarding on a confirmed scheduled flight due to overbooking and no alternative transport is made available within eight hours of the scheduled departure, your policy will cover certain costs.
- Political & Natural Disaster Evacuation. If a major natural disaster strikes wherever you are travelling and you need to be evacuated to Australia or the nearest safe place, Probus Travel Insurance will cover the cost.
Probus Travel Insurance Exclusions
- Financial default. There is no cover for the financial default of any airline, tour or cruise operator, company, organisation, hotel, booking agent or any other travel or tourism services provider.
- Sickness claims restriction. This policy does not provide cover for cancellation and/or loss of deposit claims related to sickness for anyone aged 81 or older.
- Cancellation and/or loss of deposit restrictions. There is no cover under this policy for cancellation and/or loss of deposit for anyone aged 91 or older.
- Maximum benefit. The maximum benefit payable for medical and additional expenses for anyone aged 90 or older is $5000.
- No retrospective cover. There is no cover for events that occur before you purchase a policy.
- Age. This policy does not provide cover for people aged 101 years or older.
Probus Travel Insurance Policy Details
There are several important policy features you should be aware of before taking out Probus South Pacific Travel Insurance cover.
- Scope of cover. Cover only applies when you are engaged in a journey classed as business or private travel. When it comes to trips which are 100% private travel, cover applies while you and up to one guest traveller are engaged in a private journey.
- Journey. A journey is defined as any trip involving travel exceeding 100km or an overnight stay away from your home or business premises. A journey starts when you leave your home or business and ends when you return. The maximum duration of trip covered is 90 days.
- Covered persons. According to the Probus Travel Insurance Information Document, covered persons are any Member(s) or their guests that: (1) Have elected to access cover under the Master Policy in writing by completing and submitting an application to the Policyholder, and (2) Have paid the fee to the Policyholder, and (3) Are accepted by Probus Travel Insurance as covered by the Master Policy pursuant to the terms and conditions set out in the policy.
- Age limits. There is no cover for people aged 101 years or older.
- Period of cover. Cover applies from the date your Probus Travel Insurance application is accepted to the date on which your journey ends.
Probus Travel Insurance Application
If you are interested in becoming a member of Probus and gaining access to their excellent range of travel policies, you can register your interest in becoming a member entirely online on the Probus website. From there Probus will let you know how to reach out to one of their clubs in your area.Back to top
More guides on Finder
Optical inclusion: Extras cover the top reason for taking out health insurance, survey finds
Extras cover is the number one drawcard for Australians who take out private health cover, new research from Finder, Australia’s most visited comparison site, reveals.
Going up: 4.6 million health insurance customers are missing out on potential savings
Millions of Australians could be missing out saving money on their health insurance policy, according to Finder, Australia’s most visited comparison site.
Citi Rewards Card – Bonus Points Offer
Earn flexible rewards points as you spend and enjoy a big 100,000 bonus points offer with the Citi Rewards Credit Card.
Where can I travel from Australia in 2021?
Discover exactly what you need to know about leaving Australia.
HSBC Platinum Credit Card
This card offers 0% interest on balance transfers for 36 months, a discounted $29 first year annual fee and platinum benefits including airport lounge passes and complimentary insurance covers.
American Express Velocity Business Card
The American Express Velocity Business Card earns points per $1 spent and offers complimentary travel insurance and two complimentary Virgin Australia lounge passes each year.
American Express Qantas Business Rewards Card
The Amex Qantas Business Rewards Card offers 150,000 bonus Qantas Points, no pre-set spending limit and platinum perks including complimentary insurances.
Power outage? Food spoilage insurance
How home insurance can cover you for food spoilage and save you hundreds on wasted food.
Does home insurance cover hearing aids?
Want hearing aid insurance? Home insurance is the answer.
What are covered events in home insurance?
All home insurance policies have a common list of covered events. These insured events include things like fire, storm and theft.
Ask an Expert