Compare DU Travel Insurance Policies and Purchase Affordable Cover
With this in mind, travel insurance is a necessity for any holiday, no matter whether you’re planning a short getaway in Australia or an extended trip overseas. Downunder Insurance offers affordable and great-value travel insurance with a range of impressive benefits. With a variety of competitive plans for a wide range of travellers, Downunder Insurance can give you the right cover and the peace of mind to let you simply sit back and enjoy your holiday.By its very nature, travel is incredibly unpredictable. But while the unexpected can often come as a welcome surprise when you’re out exploring the world, sometimes it’s disaster that strikes when you least expect it. Your baggage can get stolen by thieves or lost by airlines, illness or injury can cut short your journey, and a whole host of other unforeseen problems can pop up and cause your long-awaited holiday to turn into one very expensive—and very stressful—nightmare.
Compare Travel Insurance Policies Offered by DownUnder
Who Underwrites Downunder Travel Insurance?
Downunder Travel Insurance is managed by Allianz Global Assistance, a trading name of AGA Assistance Australia and issued and underwritten by Allianz Australia Insurance Limited (Allianz).
Who is Downunder Travel Insurance?
Incorporated in the UK in March 1992, DUInsurance was set up and operated by Mike Corless and Stuart Mitchell. It started as a motor insurance provider to non-UK residents, but later on it expanded to insure travellers, personal possessions, home and contents, general household and commercial businesses. Then came the Backpacker travel insurance policy in the mid-1990s.
After its success in UK, DUInsurance branched out in New Zealand in February 2000 and launched its online travel insurance business in Australia. In 2009 it added new coverage for older travellers, families, multiple trips and business travels.
Downunder travel insurance specialises in providing cover for long-haul and working holidays. The company offers a variety of plans for any traveller under 65 years of age, while cover is also possible for those over this age limit.
Downunder had policies for just about any type of traveller, from students and backpackers to workers and retirees. Cover is available just about anywhere in the world, with comprehensive cover available to give you complete peace of mind when on the road.
Downunder also prides itself on offering helpful and personalised customer service, which can make the process of making a claim a whole lot easier and less stressful.Back to top
Downunder Insurance Policies
- Domestic. Domestic Travel Insurance is available on Downunder’s Comprehensive policy and is designed to cover your luggage and personal effects, cancellation fees and lost deposits, personal liability, theft of cash and more. Premiums start at just $28.09 for five days cover, while a number of additional options can be purchased to increase your cover.
- Backpackers. Underwritten by Allianz Australia Insurance Limited, this cover is designed for budget travellers who need a reasonable level of cover. There’s cover for the loss or theft of your personal belongings, as well as for activities like sports and leisure activities like bungee jumping and whitewater rafting. Cover for worldwide travel (excluding USA, Canada, South America & Japan) starts from $527.55.
- Comprehensive. This offers a high level of cover and is ideal for most travellers. It includes cover for medical and repatriation (unlimited), accidental death, travel delay, permanent disability, cancellation and curtailment and much more. Underwritten by Allianz Australia Insurance Limited, this policy also provides access to Allianz’s 24-hour emergency assistance team.
- Annual frequent traveller. This cost-effective option is designed for those who take more than two or three trips a year. However, no one trip can last longer than 37 days for leisure travel, or 90 days for business travel. Available for individuals or families, this policy offers extensive levels of cover, including overseas emergency assistance (unlimited), overseas emergency medical and hospital expenses (unlimited), permanent disability, travel delay allowance and alternative transport expenses, luggage and personal effects , cancellation and loss of deposits, personal liability and theft of cash. Underwritten by Allianz Australia Insurance Limited, this policy also provides access to Allianz’s 24-hour emergency assistance team.
Downunder Travel Insurance Policy Benefits
- Cancellation fees and lost deposits. If circumstances beyond your control, for example illness or the loss of your job, force you to cancel your trip, Downunder will pay your cancellation fees and lost deposits for travel and accommodation arrangements that you have paid in advance and cannot recover.
- Overseas emergency medical assistance. Allianz Global Assistance will help you with any overseas medical emergency, such as providing access to treatment or organising your medical transfer or evacuation.
- Overseas emergency medical and hospital expenses. If you’re injured or become sick while overseas, your Downunder policy will cover your medical and hospital expenses.
- Additional expenses. If you cannot travel because of injury or sickness, your policy will cover the reasonable cost of any extra travel or accommodation expenses.
- Hospital cash allowance. This covers any out-of-pocket expenses you may incur while in hospital.
- Accidental death. If tragedy strikes and you die during your travels, your family will receive a benefit payment to help them cope with expenses and manage their financial situation.
- Permanent disability. You’ll receive a benefit payment if you become permanently disabled during your trip.
- Loss of income. This provides cover if you are injured during your trip and unable to return to work.
- Travel documents, credit cards and travellers cheques. Downunder will reimburse you the replacement costs (including communication costs) of any travel documents, including passports, credit cards or travellers cheques, you lose or which are stolen from you during your journey.
- Theft of cash. Downunder will pay for any cash, bank notes, currency notes, postal orders or money orders stolen from your person during your trip.
- Luggage and personal effects. Downunder will pay the repair cost or value of any luggage or personal items which are lost, stolen or damaged during your travels.
- Luggage and personal effects delay expenses. This provides cover if your luggage or personal effects are delayed by a carrier for a certain period of time and you need to purchase emergency essentials, such as clothing and toiletries.
- Travel delay expenses. If your journey is delayed by circumstances outside your control, you’ll receive cover for additional meals and accommodation expenses.
- Alternative transport expenses. If cancellations or delays mean you won’t be able to make it to a special event, such as a wedding or a business conference, the cost of additional travel expenses to arrive on time will be covered.
- Personal liability. This covers you if you are found to be legally liable and must pay compensation to a third party.
- Rental vehicle excess. This covers the rental company excess if your rental car is involved in an accident or otherwise stolen or damaged.
- Other features. If you choose the Business Cover option, you’ll receive alternative staff cover, business equipment cover and recreate business documents cover. A Snow Cover options includes overseas emergency medical assistance, snow sport equipment cover, cover for things like pre-booked ski passes and ski hire, plus cover against bad weather and avalanche closure.
Downunder Travel Insurance Exclusions
A range of exclusions apply to Downunder Travel Insurance policies. These include:
- No cover if you do not act in a responsible way or if you do not act to reduce your loss as much as possible.
- No cover if your claim is for a loss which is recoverable by compensation under any workers compensation or transport accident laws or by any government sponsored fund, plan, or medical benefit scheme.
- You are not covered if your claim arises from errors or omissions in your booking arrangements or from your failure to obtain relevant visa, passport or travel documents.
- No cover if you were acting illegally.
- There is no cover if your claim arises from riding a motorcycle, moped or scooter without a current Australian motorcycle licence, or if you’re a passenger on one of these vehicles operated by someone without a licence.
- If you ignore a government travel advisory or advice in the mass media and travel to a particular country, you will not be covered.
- You will not be covered under acts of war, or if your claim arises from a nuclear reaction or contamination from nuclear weapons or radioactivity.
- No cover if your claim arises from a pre-existing medical condition.
- No cover if you’re travelling against your doctor’s advice.
- There is no cover if your claim arises out of pregnancy, childbirth or related complications, except under certain conditions.
- No cover if your claims is related to depression, anxiety or mental illness.
- There is no cover for sexually transmitted diseases.
- You will not be covered if you engage in open water sailing, play polo, go mountaineering or rock climbing using ropes or climbing equipment (other than for hiking), go paragliding or participate in a range of other activities.
Top picks from DUInsurance
|Plan A - Comprehensive (International)||Plan B - Australia Only||Plan C - Backpackers (International)|
|Plan D - Frequent Traveller (Leisure)||Frequent Traveller (Business)||International Experience Canada Travel Insurance|
Pros and cons of DUInsurance
- Secure payment. DUInsurance sees to it that all personal information and credit card details collected from you are secured and protected. It has a secure site and uses a secure payment system.
- Great value travel insurance.Whether you’re a backpacker, going in a group, with the family, or travelling alone for business or pleasure, DUInsurance has the right plan to cover your needs.
- 24-hour emergency assistance.Allianz Global assistance is there to help you 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Should you experience any medical issue, call the 24-hour emergency hotline immediately to make sure you get the assistance you need.
- Policy cancellation and refund allowed.You can get a full refund if cancellation is done within 14 days from purchase and you have not commenced your trip or made any type of claim.
- Read the PDS.When buying insurance without advice from an expert, make sure to read the PDS closely and make sure you understand what your policy does and doesn’t cover.
Making a Downunder Travel Insurance Claim
You must notify Downunder Travel Insurance of your claim as soon as possible by filling out and submitting a claim form supplied by Downunder’s Client Services department. If you don’t do this, the company cannot process your claim and can reduce the amount of your claim.
You also need to supply any information Downunder asks for to support your claim, such as police reports, valuations, medical reports, original receipts or proof of ownership. In some cases, you may need to provide translations of these documents into English.
Special conditions may also apply, depending on the nature of your claim:
- For medical, hospital or dental claims, contact Allianz Global Assistance as soon as possible.
- For loss or theft of your luggage and personal effects, report it immediately to the police and obtain a written notice of your report.
- For damage or misplacement of your luggage and personal effects caused by an airline or any other operator or accommodation provider, you need to report the damage or misplacement to an appropriate official and obtain a written report.
You must submit full details of any claim in writing within 30 days of your return. All claims are payable to you in Australian dollars.Back to top