We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Important:Travel insurance rules continue to change as a result of the pandemic. Some information may not be accurate at this time. It’s even more important to double-check all details that matter to you before taking out cover. Please note:
- Some policies may not be available through Finder at this time
- It’s unlikely that your policy will cover expenses from border closures
Travel insurance is important to consider for any holiday, whether you're planning a short getaway in Australia or an extended trip overseas. Downunder Insurance offers great value travel insurance with a range of benefits. They offer policies for Australia only, backpackers and international travel.
An overview of DU Insurance Policies
Here's what's covered by Downunder travel insurance:
- Australia Only. This policy is for domestic travel only and covers your luggage and personal effects, cancellation fees and lost deposits, personal liability, theft of cash and more. There are a number of additional options that can be purchased to increase your cover.
- Backpackers. This cover is designed for budget travellers who need a reasonable level of cover. There's cover for the loss or theft of your personal belongings, as well as for medical, cancellations and more.
- Premier. This is Downunder's top policy and comes with unlimited cover for cancellation, overseas emergency and hospital expenses. It also covers you for dental expenses, additional accommodation, family emergencies and more.
- Comprehensive. This offers a high level of cover for peace of mind. It includes cover for medical and repatriation (unlimited), accidental death, travel delay, permanent disability, cancellation and curtailment and much more.
- Frequent traveller. This cost-effective option is designed for those who take more than two or three trips a year. Available for individuals or families, this policy offers extensive levels of cover, including overseas emergency assistance (unlimited), overseas emergency medical and hospital expenses (unlimited), permanent disability, luggage and personal effects, and more.
- Frequent traveller (domestic). This is for those who travel within Australia a few times a year. It comes with higher limits for luggage and personal effects, cancellation fees and lost deposits, personal liability, theft of cash and more.
What are the benefits of getting a policy?
- Cancellation fees and lost deposits. If circumstances beyond your control, for example illness or the loss of your job, force you to cancel your trip, Downunder will pay your cancellation fees and lost deposits for travel and accommodation arrangements that you have paid in advance and cannot recover.
- Overseas emergency medical assistance. They will help you with any overseas medical emergency, such as providing access to treatment or organising your medical transfer or evacuation.
- Overseas emergency medical and hospital expenses. If you're injured or become sick while overseas, your Downunder policy will cover your medical and hospital expenses.
- Additional expenses. If you cannot travel because of injury or sickness, your policy will cover the reasonable cost of any extra travel or accommodation expenses.
- Hospital cash allowance. This covers any out-of-pocket expenses you may incur while in hospital.
- Accidental death. If tragedy strikes and you die during your travels, your family will receive a benefit payment to help them cope with expenses and manage their financial situation.
- Permanent disability. You'll receive a benefit payment if you become permanently disabled during your trip.
- Loss of income. This provides cover if you are injured during your trip and unable to return to work.
- Travel documents, credit cards and travellers cheques. Downunder will reimburse you the replacement costs (including communication costs) of any travel documents, including passports, credit cards or travellers cheques, you lose or which are stolen from you during your journey.
- Theft of cash. Downunder will pay for any cash, bank notes, currency notes, postal orders or money orders stolen from your person during your trip.
- Luggage and personal effects. Downunder will pay the repair cost or value of any luggage or personal items which are lost, stolen or damaged during your travels.
- Luggage and personal effects delay expenses. This provides cover if your luggage or personal effects are delayed by a carrier for a certain period of time and you need to purchase emergency essentials, such as clothing and toiletries.
- Travel delay expenses. If your journey is delayed by circumstances outside your control, you'll receive cover for additional meals and accommodation expenses.
- Alternative transport expenses. If cancellations or delays mean you won't be able to make it to a special event, such as a wedding or a business conference, the cost of additional travel expenses to arrive on time will be covered.
- Personal liability. This covers you if you are found to be legally liable and must pay compensation to a third party.
- Rental vehicle excess. This covers the rental company excess if your rental car is involved in an accident or otherwise stolen or damaged.
What is excluded?
Like any insurance policy, a range of exclusions apply to Downunder Travel Insurance policies. These include:
- No cover if you do not act in a responsible way or if you do not act to reduce your loss as much as possible.
- No cover if your claim is for a loss which is recoverable by compensation under any workers compensation or transport accident laws or by any government sponsored fund, plan, or medical benefit scheme.
- You are not covered if your claim arises from errors or omissions in your booking arrangements or from your failure to obtain relevant visa, passport or travel documents.
- No cover if you were acting illegally.
- There is no cover if your claim arises from riding a motorcycle, moped or scooter without a current Australian motorcycle licence, or if you're a passenger on one of these vehicles operated by someone without a licence.
- If you ignore a government travel advisory or advice in the mass media and travel to a particular country, you will not be covered.
- You will not be covered under acts of war, or if your claim arises from a nuclear reaction or contamination from nuclear weapons or radioactivity.
- No cover if your claim arises from a pre-existing medical condition.
- No cover if you're travelling against your doctor's advice.
- There is no cover if your claim arises out of pregnancy, childbirth or related complications, except under certain conditions.
- No cover if your claims is related to depression, anxiety or mental illness.
- There is no cover for sexually transmitted diseases.
- You will not be covered if you engage in open water sailing, play polo, go mountaineering or rock climbing using ropes or climbing equipment (other than for hiking), go paragliding or participate in a range of other activities.
Who is Downunder Travel Insurance?
Incorporated in the UK in March 1992, DUInsurance was set up and operated by Mike Corless and Stuart Mitchell. It started as a motor insurance provider to non-UK residents, but later on it expanded to insure travellers, personal possessions, home and contents, general household and commercial businesses.
Then came the Backpacker travel insurance policy in the mid-1990s. After its success in the UK, DUInsurance branched out in New Zealand in February 2000 and launched its online travel insurance business in Australia. In 2009 it added new coverage for older travellers, families, multiple trips and business travels.
Downunder now has policies for just about any type of traveller, from students and backpackers to workers and retirees. Cover is available just about anywhere in the world, with comprehensive cover available to give you complete peace of mind when on the road.Back to top
How do I make a claim?
You can submit your Downunder Travel Insurance claim by calling 1300 379 336 (within Australia) or emailing email@example.com. They'll be able to guide you through the claims process.
To speed the process up, have your policy number on you and any documentation that'll help support your claim.
You can download a claim form here and email send it to
Post claims forms to:
DUInsure Travel Insurance
PO BOX 6798
More guides on Finder
Stroller deal: Get 30% off Bugaboo Ant (plus a free travel bag)
Bugaboo is offering 30% off the Bugaboo Ant stroller plus a free travel bag when you buy online.
2021 Genesis GV80 Review
The 2021 Genesis GV80 stands out from the crowd, showcasing what the luxury brand is about.
Citi Rewards Card – Purchase and Balance Transfer Offer
With 0% interest for 14 months on purchases and balance transfers, is this Citi Rewards Card offer right for you?
Travel insurance: COVID
Here's how travel insurers are responding to the pandemic.
New international travel rules: Quarantine, proof of vax, visas and more explained
When do flights resume? What are the quarantine rules? How do I prove I'm vaccinated? The experts answer all your questions.
9 ways to save $2,800+ on your bills
An investment of a few hours could save you thousands of dollars – here's how to bring down your household bills.
3 dental insurance deals to put a dent in your post-lockdown dentist trip
Here's how you can unlock no-waiting-period dental with ahm, Peoplecare and HIF.
Suunto 9 Peak review: Fitness tracking for the truly dedicated
The Suunto 9 Peak has impressive physical design and great battery life, but its price and responsiveness mean that it's best suited to very serious workout warriors only.
Jetstar sale: $169 Fiji flights, limited time only
EXPIRED: Snag your cheap flights to Fiji for 2022 now and escape to paradise.
Why is the IAG share price on a high today?
Shares in the insurer are up just 10% in the last 12 months.
Ask an Expert