ACE Travel Insurance review.
If you are travelling overseas or abroad and you suffer a serious injury or illness, you may incur significant expenses that could bring great financial loss. Travel insurance not only provides cover for medical events but other unforeseen losses including loss/damage to luggage and personal belongings and trip cancellation.
One provider that you might consider for your next adventure away is ACE Travel Insurance. ACE Group provides an excellent selection of travel insurance products to meet the cover requirements of a variety of travellers. ACE is one of the world’s largest multiline insurers in the world and distributes its products in over 53 countries, employing more than 17,000 people worldwide.
Who is ACE?
ACE Group offers commercial and personal property insurance, casualty insurance, personal accident and supplemental health insurance, reinsurance and life insurance. It also serves a wide range of clients, from local businesses to large multinational companies. In 2012 ACE collected $92 billion in assets and $21 billion of gross written premiums.
In Australia, it underwrites more than $500 million in gross written premiums a year and it is one of the leading insurance groups. It provides a wide range of specialised and customised insurance products including:
- Accident & health insurance
- Directors and officers insurance
- Energy insurance
- Liability insurance
- Marine insurance
- Property insurance
- Professional indemnity insurance
- Utilities insurance
- Travel insurance
ACE offers two main types of travel cover: One Trip and Annual policies for international and domestic trips. The policies provide cover for unlimited overseas medical expenses, emergency dental expenses, luggage and travel documents, loss of deposits and cancellation charges and 24 hour emergency phone assistance.
Why take out cover with Ace Travel Insurance Australia?
Ace Travel Insurance provides cover for both individual travellers and families.
ACE Assistance is 24-hour emergency service that helps the insured persons to get:
- Medical assistance abroad, including services like emergency medical consultation and support, 24 hour medical referral, medical monitoring, medical repatriation/ evacuation service, return of mortal remains, guarantee of hospital / medical expenses and liaison with family physician.
- Non-medical assistance, including lost document and ticket replacement service, consular referral/liaison.
If you are travelling for leisure or business purposes and require emergency assistance, you can make a phone call and receive medical, travel, legal and legal referral assistance while abroad.
ACE Assistance will also evacuate you if you are hospitalised in an area where adequate medical facilities are not available (if required, an air ambulance will be used). They will also provide assistance following having been released from hospital.
ACE provides single trip and annual multi-trip cover to applicants.
ACE Travel Insurance policy options
If you travel for business or leisure purposes, ACE Travel Insurance offers two main options:
- The Leisure Travel Insurance, mostly for individuals or families
- The Business Travel Insurance, designed for business travellers
ACE Travel Insurance is only available to Australian residents aged between 18 and 69 years of age.
If you have selected the domestic plan, you can select the desired level of coverage between:
If you have selected one of the international plans, you can select one of the three levels of coverage:
In regards to the Business Travel Insurance policy, ACE provides a range of benefits such as;
- Evacuation and repatriation
- 24/7 emergency assistance
- Medical expenses cover
- Alternative employee/resumption of assignment expenses
- Lost baggage
- Lost or stolen money
- Cancellation cover
- Loss of deposits
- Accidental death and personal liability
It is often purchased together with the Group Personal Accident cover.
ACE Travel Insurance benefit options
ACE Travel Insurance provides the following benefits:
- Overseas medical and dental expenses: covers all the reasonable expenses for accidental injury, sickness or disease such as medical expenses, emergency medical treatment, emergency and ambulance transportation outside Australia and while on journey.
- Additional expenses: includes resumption of journey, special events and cover if you become ill, if you die, if your home or business premises are destroyed by a natural disaster or other circumstances.
- Loss of deposits and cancellation charges: you are covered if your journey is cancelled, curtailed or unable to be completed due to unforeseeable death, accidental injury, sickness or disease of your travelling companion, relative or business partner.
- Luggage and travel documents: you are covered for loss, theft or damage, delayed luggage allowance and travel document replacement.
- Rental vehicle excess: if you are liable to pay rental vehicle insurance excess as result of collision or theft of the vehicle you were controlling, you will be reimbursed for the excess that is charged. ACE will cover excess up to $3,000 if you select the premium plans and up to $6,000 if you select the elite plans.
- Travel delay accommodation: if your transport is delayed for at least six hours due to unforeseeable circumstances outside your control, you are covered for reasonable additional hotel accommodation expenses.
- Flight delay: if your scheduled flight is delayed for more than 4 hours due to an unforeseeable event outside your control, you are reimbursed for restaurant meals and refreshments.
- Cash in hospital: if you are hospitalised, a daily amount will be paid depending on the type of plan that you have selected.
- Public transport hijacking and kidnapping: if you are detained on public transport that has been hijacked by persons using violence or threat of violence or you have been kidnapped, a daily amount is paid.
- Personal liability: if you are liable to pay compensation for physical damage caused to someone else’s property or bodily injury or death of someone else, you will be reimbursed.
- Accidental Loss of life and permanent loss: if you suffer an accidental injury that results in an accidental loss of life, the amount shown on the certificate of insurance is paid within 12 months of the accidental loss of life date. The same timeframe is applied for permanent loss.
- Credit card balance: in the event that you suffer an accidental injury that results in an accidental loss of life, the outstanding amount of your credit card is paid to your estate.
- Legal expenses: in the event of an accidental injury that results in loss of life, you are covered for legal expenses incurred by a beneficiary of your estate in seeking compensation for damages in relation to your accidental injury or loss of life.
ACE Travel Insurance claims process
In the event of a claim, you will need to immediately advise the Ace’s claims department and send through the necessary documentation:
- The completed claim form
- Receipt of expenses or proof of earnings
- Any report obtained from the police, transport carrier or authorities about an accident, loss or damage
- Any other documentary evidence required by the insurance policy
All the documents, together with the claim form, have to be sent to the ACE within 30 days from the event that gave rise of a claim.
It is also essential to send to the company:
- All medical and other certificates and evidence required by the company to assess the claim
It is also important to not make any offer, promise of payment or admit any liability without their written consent.
In the event of accidental loss of life, credit card balance or legal expenses, ACE will pay this amount to your estate.