AIMS home loans
In less than three decades AIMS has become one of Australia’s largest non-bank lenders and winner of over 30 awards for their services and products.
Australian International Mortgage Securities (AIMS) financial group is an Australian owned and operated non-bank financial institution that has expanded its services overseas. Its available products inside of Australia include lending products both for commercial and residential purchases.
Awards that AIMS has earned
Since 1997 AIMS has earned and placed as finalists for awards from some of Australia’s financial publications. Their most recent nods from the industry include:
Who is AIMS?
AIMS is a self-funded lender offering lending products and services, both for commercial and personal use with flexible options and competitive rates. AIMS services do not include traditional banking accounts, making them dependent on earning profits from capital markets through a number of methods.
These include insurance companies, superannuation funds and institutional investors. With interests already established in Asia, AIMS is striving to become a more dominant force in the international market. Now they focus attention on providing Australians with home loan options for both personal or investment purposes.
Home loans provided by AIMS
Money Saver Variable Home Loan
This is a variable rate home loan for an owner occupied or investment property where you have the option of a fixed rate for up to five years. Loan amounts range from $50,000 to $1,000,000 and you can borrow up to 90% of the property value for owner occupied property.
With investment loans you get the option of interest-only repayments for up to ten years if your loan to value ratio (LVR) is 75%.
Platinum Variable Home Loan
Available for either a purchase or refinance, the Platinum Variable home loan is for investment residential property or an owner occupied home. The terms can be set from 15 to 30 years, with an option of a fixed interest rate from one to five years.
With this loan, owner occupants may also take advantage of interest-only repayments for up to ten years, with the ability to make additional repayments when possible.
Super Saver Discount Variable Home Loan
For an individual residing outside of Australia, but interested in investing in Australian property, the Super Saver Discount Variable home loan is one to consider. Available for purchase or refinance, this variable rate home loan is allowed for both owner occupied purchases or residential property investments.
Owner occupants may borrow up to 90% LVR, while investors making principal and interest payments may borrow 85% LVR. Investors can also benefit from up to ten years of interest-only payments if the LVR is at or below 75%.
First Option Variable Rate Home Loan
The First Option is a loan to look at if you are attempting to buy property and build later. Allowing for loan amounts ranging from $200,000 to $750,000, AIMS will accept a deed for residential land as security for the loan.
This is available both for a home buyer who wants to build his own home, or an investor who wishes to construct a rentable residential structure. AIMS will also not require the borrower to provide any evidence of genuine savings.
Gold Standard Variable Home Loan
The Gold Standard is also a valid choice for a new construction and is available for borrowers who are living overseas. There are additional fees payable if using this home loan for new construction projects including one for $830. This will cover the additional costs involved in establishing a home loan for a new structure.
Unlike the First Option Home Loan, the Gold Standard allows for loan amounts of up to $1,000,000, making it feasible to use the money not only for the purchase of the land but for the building of the liveable structure. You will be charged a construction interest rate on the loan balance while the house is being built.
Complete Variable Home Loan
Available for both owner occupants and investors, the Complete Home Loan from AIMS can be used to purchase or refinance a home or construct one. Overseas applicants are welcome, and there is no need to supply evidence of genuine savings.
Investors can also take advantage of an option to pay the annual interest in advance or make interest only payments for up to ten years if the LVR is 75% or less.
Pros and cons
With six loans to choose from, an investor or home buyer has a lot to consider when deciding which one is right for them. Compare the following to banks and other home loan lenders before making a final choice:
- Extra repayments. All of the lending products allow for extra repayments to be made when you have the money available.
- Redraw. There is also a redraw facility with each loan package in the event that you need to apply part of those extra repayments somewhere else.
- Flexible interest rates. The ability to construct your loan with fixed rate period can help give financial stability right after the purchase.
- Fees. With few exceptions, you will find that most of these loans do not generate any monthly or annual fees.
- Terms. The minimum time period to pay off the balance of the loan is 15 years, compared to other lenders who will in some cases allow less than five.
- No 100% offset account. By having no transaction or savings accounts in their product line, AIMS is unable to offer a money saving offset account to their home loan borrowers.
How to apply for an AIMS home loan
An AIMS loan consultant will help you with your loan application either online, over the phone or at one of their branches. Once complete, you can expect to hear if you have been approved in approximately 48 hours.
- Begin your application online. Upon arriving at the AIMS website you will be asked if you would like to proceed with the application online or if you would like to download the form.
- Know your options. One of the first things AIMS is going to ask is what type of loan and features you are interested in. While you may change this at any time after submission, you should have a general idea of the type of home loan you need before proceeding.
- Wait for contact. If at any point you are unsure of how to proceed with the application, you can send it to AIMS who will have a loan expert contact you.
Documents needed to apply for a AIMS home loan
One key component of applying for a loan product is proving your identity. This will necessitate you providing the following documentation:
- Identification documents. A photo ID is going to be asked for. This can be a valid driver’s licence or passport.
- Overseas applicants. If you are applying from outside of Australia you may need to assign a third party power of attorney. They too will need to meet the identification requirements.
The property you are purchasing is going to be used as security for the home loan. For this reason the lender is going to ask you for the following documentation:
- Sales contract. When you and the buyer agree to the terms of the sale, a contract is drawn up outlining the property details and purchase details. A copy of this will be needed by the lender.
- Certificate of title. A sale of property is only valid if the seller has legal right to it. To verify this, the lender will need a copy of the certificate of title.
- Transfer of land. A transfer of land shows that the property purchased is being transferred into your name.
Your personal finances, both past and present, will help the lender decide how much of a loan they can offer you. In order to do this, they will ask for the following information:
- Income. How much you make is very important in determining your loan eligibility. This will require you supplying your gross and net income as well as any bonuses you may receive or steady income from other sources.
- Assets. This refers to personal items you own of significant value. Include any property, vehicles, savings accounts and investment accounts.
- Liabilities. These include all of your financial obligations, including other loans, credit cards and utilities. Not only will you need to supply the amounts, you may also be required to supply the institution name and available credit.
Home Loan OffersImportant Information*
Take advantage of a low-fee mortgage with a special interest rate of just 3.09% p.a. and a 3.09% p.a. comparison rate.
Low variable rate mortgage for owner occupiers looking to switch. Refinancers only.
Newcastle Permanent Building Society Premium Plus Package Home Loan - New Customer Offer Discount 1 ($150k+ Owner Occupier, P&I)
New borrowers or refinancers can get a discounted rate with this package loan.
Ask an Expert