Need car insurance in Western Australia? Know the requirements and find the right cover.
Three steps to get cover in WA.
- Get Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance. This is insurance for medical expenses you incur as the result of a car accident. CTP insurance in Western Australia is included in vehicle registration and there are no options to choose from.
- Choose your damage cover. In addition to CTP cover, you need to choose the type of car damage insurance that works for you.
- Compare and buy online. Once you’ve found the right policy, compare it with other options and buy online. Your car is now fully insured, and you’re good to go.
CTP insurance is mandatory in all of Australia, including WA. If you have just purchased a new car, then the cost of CTP insurance is automatically included in the registration. In Western Australia, you only need to choose the type of car insurance damage cover you want to protect your vehicle.
What types of car insurance can I get in WA?
The state government manages CTP insurance in Western Australia, so you will always get the same prices and the same benefits.
While CTP protects you from the cost of medical expenses incurred because of an accident, it will not cover the cost of damage of other cars or property. This is where standard car insurance comes in. Pick the type of car insurance policy that’s right for you by finding a balance between affordability and effective protection.
|Third party property||Third party property, fire and theft||Comprehensive|
|Protection for your car||No||Cover for fire damage and theft||Comprehensive protection from many forms of damage|
- Personal liability: Personal liability expenses result from damage to cars or other drivers in an accident. Any type of car insurance with personal liability cover will include cover for this.
- Protection for your car: Different policies will deliver varying types of protection. Get protection from fire and theft - the two most common hazards - with a fire and theft policy. Alternatively, choose wide-ranging cover with comprehensive car insurance or highly affordable personal-liability-only insurance with a third party property policy.
How much does car insurance cost in WA?
The more likely you are to make a claim, the higher your premiums will be. Premiums are affected by your age, your gender, your driving history, how likely your car is to be stolen and many other factors that are known to impact accident rates.
- WA has middle-of-the-road car insurance prices relative to the rest of Australia. It’s not the cheapest state, but it’s far from the most expensive.
Rounded average annual cost of comprehensive car insurance for recent model cars in WA
|Under 25||25 to 29||30 to 44||45+|
- Stamp duty: Different financial services are taxed at different levels around Australia. In WA, the stamp duty tax is 10% of premiums. This fee is typically added to the cost of your premiums.
What car insurers can I access in WA?
The finder.com.au car insurance panel lets you compare options from some of the nation’s top insurers.
Australia Post car insurance can combine an effective level of protection with affordability, thanks to flexible value-adding policies that include extras such as free trailer cover, rental vehicle costs following theft and more, depending on your chosen policy.
Australia Post car insurance is the right option for individuals that want extra benefits to suit their chosen policy without necessarily needing to pay more for them.
You can tailor QBE policies to your needs. Options like excess-free windscreen and glass protection, or protection for your no-claims bonus can give you more peace of mind. All QBE car insurance policies also let you choose your own repairer to make sure you can access the service you need. Comprehensive policies include cover for vehicle tools and personal effects as well as other benefits.
QBE car insurance policies are best suited to people who look forward to tailoring their car insurance policies for more cover.
Budget Direct prioritises value for money in car insurance and keeps costs down by maintaining eligibility requirements and only insuring safer drivers. For the right applicant, Budget Direct is an effective choice with lower prices and equivalent protection.
Budget Direct car insurance policies are the right choice for safer drivers, or people who’d like to find cost-effective cover by opting out of unwanted extras.
Youi strives to offer well-tailored car insurance by making policies easy to customise. This lets you find new ways to lower costs or more ways to find additional cover as needed. Opt out of the benefits you don’t want to pay for, such as unnecessary trailer cover, and select protection you do need, such as cover for campervan contents or other benefits.
Youi car insurance may be able to deliver additional flexibility for those who need it, bringing more value for your money.
Low prices and good service are two of Dodo’s main focuses. All Dodo car insurance policies carefully match features to prices, resulting in a range of cost-effective options across different policies.
For those who appreciate simplicity and affordability, as well as a useful, but not overwhelming, level of customisability, Dodo car insurance might be the right option.
Features such as competitor price matching and conditional discounts for different customers can sometimes make Woolworths feel like a small insurer, despite being a major name. For more ways to save money and earn additional bonuses, without compromising the efficacy of your car insurance policy, Woolworths may be worth considering.
Bargain hunters and people who are keen on looking for discounts and managing their policies may be able to find more benefits with Woolworths.
Virgin Money has two different comprehensive car insurance policies to better suit more people, so you don’t need to choose between affordability and protection. Existing Virgin customers may be able to access more rewards and other bonuses by holding policies with Virgin Money.
If you’re tempted by comprehensive car insurance but don’t want to pay for features you don’t need, or are an existing Virgin customer who’d like more ways to earn discounts and rewards, it is worth considering Virgin Money car insurance.