How to use a credit card for Netflix and other streaming services
Netflix and other streaming platforms do accept credit cards. Find out how to pay with yours and start watching today.
Updated . What changed?
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Want to access all the shows that Netflix has to offer, but not sure how to pay for it? Here’s everything you need to know about using a credit card or to sign up for Netflix. Plus, options if you don’t want to use a credit card.
What's in this guide?
- Which credit cards are accepted by Netflix?
- How to add or update your credit card details on Netflix
- Can I access Netflix without a credit card?
- Why is Netflix not accepting my card?
- What else should I think about before using a credit card for Netflix?
- Compare credit cards for online payments and shopping
Which credit cards are accepted by Netflix?
Netflix will accept all credit cards, including Visa, Mastercard and American Express. The only requirement is that the account allows you to set up recurring ecommerce payments – which almost all credit cards do.
In addition, all other major streaming services in Australia (Stan, Amazon Prime, etc) accept these types of credit card payments. There is one exception: Foxtel Now will not accept Amex cards.
How to add or update your credit card details on Netflix
- Sign into Netflix and go to your “Account” page.
- Navigate to “Membership and Billing” and click on the “Update Payment” link on the right-hand side.
- Enter your new payment information in the dialogue box provided.
If you want to set up payments with another streaming service, you’ll go through a similar set of steps.
Netflix employs many of the same security measures used for online shopping and other streaming platforms. This includes only saving a scrambled version of your credit card number and alerting you if suspicious payments are made using your account.
Netflix also offers strict password requirements for your account, the option of adding your phone number to confirm account details and a responsible security and research disclosure that’s designed to help it continually improve security.
Additionally, Netflix’s cancellation process is fairly straightforward and you can cancel at any time.
Can I access Netflix without a credit card?
Fortunately, Netflix does not require you to use a credit card to make an account. There are several ways to access Netflix without one, including:
- Netflix gift cards. These are sold at a number of retailers, including Woolworths, Coles and Officeworks. They allow you to prepay for your own subscription or gift a subscription to someone else.
- PayPal. Netflix accepts PayPal as a payment option, allowing you to link your PayPal account to your Netflix account. This means you can pay for your Netflix subscription with a credit card, debit card or bank account – as long as it has been added to your PayPal account.
- Partner billing. Some service providers sell Netflix subscriptions as part of their broadband packages. If you’re getting Netflix through a provider like Aussie Broadband or Fetch TV, your Netflix subscription will be processed through your provider, using the payment method you use with it.
- Debit cards. If you have a Visa or Mastercard debit card that accepts recurring ecommerce transactions, you can use it for your Netflix billing.
- Prepaid debit cards. If you want to use a prepaid card to pay for Netflix, acceptance will depend on whether the card provider allows the transaction. You can find out by asking the card provider or by entering the details on the Netflix payment page. If the authorisation request from Netflix is approved on your prepaid card account, you can continue to use it for Netflix billing. Alternatively, you could contact the card’s provider to see if this type of payment is available.
Why is Netflix not accepting my card?
There are many reasons why Netflix might not accept your card, but according to the platform, the two most common are:
- Payment declined. This could be because you have insufficient funds in your account, your card has expired or some other reason. Netflix recommends that you contact your bank.
- Billing date issues. If the date that you pay off your credit card is different to your Netflix billing date, your credit card limit may have been exceeded in the period between them. Try making a payment to free up your credit card limit before attempting to pay for Netflix again.
If neither of these reasons apply, you should contact Netflix directly for assistance, either by phone on 1800 875 462 or through the live chat on Netflix’s help page.
What else should I think about before using a credit card for Netflix?
If you’re getting ready to set up your Netflix account with a credit card, the following factors can help you earn rewards and avoid added costs:
- Reward points. If you have a reward or frequent flyer credit card, you’ll earn points on your monthly payments to Netflix. This could help you reach your rewards goal faster.
- Interest charges. When your Netflix payments are added to your credit card account, they will be charged interest at the card’s purchase interest rate. This will add to your balance, unless you are eligible for an interest-free period.
- Updating your card details. If you want to switch credit cards, remember to cancel your recurring payment for Netflix and move it to the new card. Check out this Finder guide to learn more about how to transfer direct debit and recurring payments from one credit card to another.
Compare credit cards for online payments and shopping
More guides on Finder
Westpac Altitude Platinum Credit Card – Existing Customer Offer
Earn Altitude rewards with Westpac’s Altitude Platinum credit card, while enjoying the benefits and privileges of platinum status.
MoneyMe Freestyle Virtual Mastercard
Get $250 credit back when you meet the eligibility requirements and 55 days interest-free on purchases.
0% Balance Transfer Credit Card Offers
Pay no interest on your credit card debt and clear it faster with a 0% balance transfer credit card. Compare and apply here.
Christian Cafe overview
Find out everything there is to know about the online dating site, Christian Cafe.
ANZ Rewards Platinum Credit Card – Exclusive Offer
The ANZ Rewards Platinum Credit Card offers a competitive rewards program, $0 annual fee for the first year, a $500 gift card, a balance transfer offer and a range of complimentary insurance covers.
How to sign up to DAZN: A step-by-step guide
You’ll be able to watch exciting boxing events within minutes on streaming site DAZN.
Woolworths Team Bank Visa Credit Card
Available to Woolworths Group employees and family, this low-cost card comes with simple features and mobile payment options.
Pizza Capers delivery in Australia
Order high-quality pizza, pasta and salads online for home delivery. Find out which delivery service to use to get the best deal for your money.
5 tips to help you get the best credit card deal in 2020
SPONSORED: In a time of financial volatility, here are the key ways to find a credit card that offers you bang for your buck.
Firefighters Mutual Bank Credit Card
This low rate credit card has a $0 annual fee and is available to firefighters and other service workers or volunteers.
Ask an Expert