Boost your Emirates Skywards balance with up to 50,000 bonus points, earn frequent flyer miles per $1 spent and enjoy premium travel perks with an Emirates credit card.
If you're an Emirates Skywards frequent flyer in Australia, you can get a credit card that lets you earn Skywards Miles directly as you spend or one that allows you to convert your rewards points into Skywards Miles. Aside from the rewards you received from your everyday spending, Emirates cards may offer other benefits such as airport lounge access, complimentary insurance covers and additional cards. Plus, some cardholders can enjoy up to 50,000 bonus points on signup.
Here, you can compare Emirates credit cards and introductory offers to find an option that suits your budget and your needs.
Emirates Credit Card Offer
Get bonus points and enjoy up to 10% off Emirates flights, earn Skywards Miles for every $1 spent and a discounted annual fee of $149 for the first year.
- $149 p.a. annual fee for the first year ($299 p.a. thereafter) annual fee
- 20.99% p.a. on purchases
- 0% p.a. for 9 months on balance transfers
- Cash Advance Rate of 21.74% p.a.
- Up to 55 days interest free
- Minimum Income Requirement of $75,000 p.a.
What types of credit cards offer Emirates Skywards Miles?
Depending on the credit card you choose, you could either earn Skywards Miles as you spend with a direct earn credit card, or convert accumulated rewards points into Skywards Miles with an indirect earn credit card.
Direct earn credit cards
The Emirates Citi World Mastercard is currently the only credit card in Australia that earns Skywards Miles directly. With this card, you get 1 Skywards Mile for every $1 spent on eligible domestic purchases up to $3,000 per statement period, and then 0.5 Skywards Mile per $1 spent up to $10,000 in that period. You also earn 1.25 Skywards Miles for every $1 AUD spent on eligible international purchases and 1.5 Skywards Miles for every $1 AUD spent on airline tickets purchased online at the Emirates website.
Other perks you can enjoy with this card include complimentary Emirates Lounge passes, a chauffeur service, complimentary travel insurance and purchase insurance covers, a gold membership upgrade for the Starwood Preferred Guest loyalty program and exclusive offers and experiences through World Mastercard.
Indirect earn credit cards
Another way to earn Emirates Skywards Miles for your spending is to get a rewards credit card that allows you to convert your points to Skywards Miles. Currently, you can do this with cards linked to the following programs:
- American Express Membership Rewards. Convert 4 Membership Rewards points to 3 Skywards Miles, with a minimum transfer of 2,000 Membership Rewards.
- Diners Club Rewards. Get a Diners Club charge card and you could transfer 2.5 reward points for 1 Skywards Mile.
- Citi Rewards. Choose a Citi credit card linked to this program and you can convert 2.5 Citi Rewards points for 1 Skywards Mile. A 20,000 point minimum transfer applies.
Comparison of credit cards that earn Emirates Skywards Miles indirectly
How to compare Emirates credit cards
Weigh up the following features when you compare Emirates credit cards so that you can find one that's right for you:
- Sign-up offers. Introductory benefits such as bonus points, 0% interest rates or reduced annual fees for the first year add value to the card when you first get it. But it's important to also consider the ongoing features if you’re planning to use the card beyond the promotional period.
- Earn rate. Look at the number of points per $1 spent and your average spending to help you work out the value of a card. Remember to also consider the conversion rate if you're looking at cards that let you transfer rewards points to Skywards Miles.
- Interest rate. Pay attention to the rate of interest charged for purchases if you think you'll carry a balance on your credit card, because interest fees can snowball and lead to more debt over time. If you habitually pay off your monthly balances, interest rates may not be such a major factor.
- Annual fee. The annual fees for Emirates cards range from $0 p.a. for the American Express Essential Credit Card to $1,200 p.a. for the American Express Platinum Card. Make sure that these costs don’t outweigh the value you get from your rewards by considering your average spending and the amount of Emirates Skywards Miles that will give you each month and year.
What else should I consider when comparing Emirates credit cards?
When you're looking at different Emirates cards, make sure you also consider the following features:
- Cash advance rate. This interest rate is usually higher than the card's purchase rate and will apply when you use your credit card to get cash out at an ATM, buy foreign currency or for any other cash advance transaction. Note a cash advance fee of around 2-4% will also apply to these transactions.
- International transaction fee. If you plan to use your credit card overseas, be aware that foreign transaction fees usually apply. While most cards charge a fee of around 3% of the total transaction, the Emirates Citi World Mastercard charges 3.4%, which could quickly add up for foreign spending.
- Other fees. There are some other miscellaneous fees that you should take note of when choosing a card, including late payment fees, over limit and dishonour fees, as well as cash advance fees and other transactional fees. Similar to the annual fee, consider how you usually use your card to make sure these costs don’t offset the value of the rewards.
- Complimentary extras. Depending on the card you choose, you could get access to perks including complimentary insurance, airport lounge access, travel credit and personal concierge services. While these extras can add value to the card, make sure you consider whether or not you'll use them to decide if they're worth it for you.
How to apply for an Emirates credit card
Applying for an Emirates credit card is simple and takes around 15 minutes online. Once you've chosen your card, make sure you meet the eligibility requirements, which usually include:
- Age. The general age requirement for these credit cards is 18 years old.
- Residency status. You must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident to apply.
- Income. The income requirement for each card differs, so please check each credit card page for its specific income requirement.
If you meet these requirements, you can apply online by filling out a secure form. You will be asked to provide personal information including your name, address and identification details, employment and financial details. Most online credit card applications will provide you with an outcome within minutes of submitting your form.
Emirates credit cards give you an easy way to earn more Skywards Miles for your everyday spending. These cards often include many other benefits as well as rates and fees, so make sure you compare several options so you can apply for a card that fits your budget and your needs.
Frequently asked questions about Emirates credit cards
Do I have to be an Emirates Skywards member to earn Skywards Miles through a credit card?
Yes, you do. For direct earn credit cards, the miles you earn will be automatically credited to your linked Skywards account. For indirect earn credit cards, you will be required to provide your Emirates Skywards frequent flyer account details and submit a request to convert your points. Joining the Emirates Skywards program is simple, and you don’t have to pay a fee.
Can I get an additional card and would it earn miles as well?
Depending on the credit card you choose, you could request an additional cardholder for your account. The additional cardholder would then be able to earn miles for your frequent flyer account when they used the card. Note that some cards may charge an annual additional cardholder fee for this option and you would still be responsible for keeping the account in good standing.
When and how many miles would I earn when I use my card?
You earn Skywards Miles when you use your credit card to make eligible purchases in Australia and overseas. Your miles earn rate depends on the card you’re using and what you’re purchasing, with some credit cards even offering different earn rates for different types of purchases.
What can I get for my miles apart from flight tickets?
You can use your accumulated miles for flight upgrades, or redeem them for a variety of store products and travel-related services including car rental and hotel accommodations. You can also put the miles towards popular sporting and cultural events, or even donate them to a charity.
How do I make use of the chauffeur-driven transfer with the Emirates Citi World Mastercard?
Purchase your Emirates flight ticket using your Emirates Citi World Mastercard, then make your booking with the Emirates reservation office a minimum of 72 hours prior to departure. Mileage restrictions may apply, and the maximum capacity per car is two adults, two suitcases and one carry-on bag. Extra charges may apply if a larger car or infant car seat is requested. This service is only available if you fly on a Emirates-operated flight number and aircraft, and excludes Trans-Tasman flights, Skywards Miles redemption tickets, travel industry tickets and group bookings. See the Emirates Citi World Mastercard webpage for more details.
Can I use my Skywards Miles to redeem flights other than with Emirates?
Yes, you can use your Skywards Miles towards eligible flight with Emirates partner airlines. These include Air Mauritius, Alaska Airlines, easyJet, Japan Airlines, Jet Airways, JetBlue, Jetstar, Korean Air, Malaysia Airlines, Qantas, S7 Airlines, South African Airways, TAP Portugal and Virgin America.