Fly faster and get more out of your points with this guide to the Qantas Frequent Flyer program.
Do you want to earn Qantas Points as you spend on travel and everyday costs? If you answered yes, it might be time to join the Qantas Frequent Flyer program.
Like most airline loyalty programs, the Qantas Frequent Flyer program allows you to earn points on flights and other exclusive purchases that can be redeemed for flight rewards, travel perks and merchandise on the Qantas Store. As you earn more points, you’ll advance up the Qantas benefit levels and earn even more benefits as you do.
In this guide, we'll show you how you can join the Qantas Frequent Flyer program, how to earn and spend points as well as how you can climb up the Qantas Frequent Flyer status tiers to enjoy more perks.
How to join the Qantas Frequent Flyer program
You can sign up for the Qantas Frequent Flyer program through the Qantas website. Signing up usually comes at a joining fee of $89.50, but you can use this guide to find out how to join for free.
The application should only take five to 10 minutes and you’ll be required to provide personal details such as your full name, contact information and details of any other airline frequent flyer programs you belong to.
This is also where you’ll create the 4-digit PIN you’ll need to login to your online account and to identify yourself over the phone, so make sure to take note of the password you choose.
Once you’ve completed your application, you’ll receive your Frequent Flyer membership number instantly. You’ll need to quote this number every time you book a flight or want to collect frequent flyer points, so note this down somewhere secure. Qantas will post your membership card and welcome kit to the residential address you provide within a week or so of the application.
How to earn Qantas Points
Qantas Frequent Flyer members can earn points in many ways. Discover how you can rack up points in the air and on the ground here:
Flights with Qantas and partner airlines
You can earn Qantas Frequent Flyer points on all eligible Qantas flights, including low fare flights. Check that your flight is eligible for points before booking. You can also maximise how many points you earn by choosing for flexible Economy fares or booking Premium Economy, Business or First Class seats. If you’re flying with Jetstar, you can earn points when selecting a Starter Plus, Starter Max or Business Max fare bundle. You can also earn points on all eligible domestic Jetstar New Zealand domestic fares.
The perks of being a Qantas Frequent Flyer goes beyond just Qantas, allowing you to earn Qantas Points on eligible flights with over 35 partner airlines. These include, but not limited to:
- American Airlines
- Air New Zealand
- Cathay Pacific
Minimum points guarantee
To ensure members are rewarded adequately, Qantas award members with a Minimum Points Guarantee on every Qantas, Jetstar and American Airlines. To see the minimum number of points you can earn, see the tables below:
|Qantas Frequent Flyer Category||Minimum Points Guarantee|
|Discount Economy, Economy||800 Points|
|Flexible Economy, Premium Economy, Flexible Premium Economy||1,200 Points|
|Business, Flexible Business, First||1,400 Points|
|Qantas Frequent Flyer Category||Minimum Points Guarantee|
|Discount Economy||400 Points|
|Flexible Economy||1,200 Points|
|Qantas Frequent Flyer Category||Minimum Points Guarantee|
|As of 1 September 2016 - All flights with a QF number||500 Points|
Credit cards and banking
Many Australian credit card providers offer cardholders the opportunity to earn Qantas Frequent Flyer points on purchases.
There are two main ways you can earn points through a credit card:
- Direct earn credit cards. These credit cards are generally connected to one frequent flyer program and automatically debits your points into your account under that program. A Qantas or Velocity-linked credit card is an example of a direct earn credit card.
Receive up to 40,000 bonus Qantas Points
Offer ends 30 November 2018
Eligibility criteria, terms and conditions, fees and charges apply
Qantas Money Credit Card Offer
A frequent flyer card that features bonus points, a first year annual fee waiver and complimentary insurance covers.
- $0 p.a. annual fee for the first year ($49 p.a. thereafter).
- 19.99% p.a. on purchases
- Cash advance rate of 21.99% p.a.
- Up to 55 days interest free
- Minimum income requirement of $35,000 p.a.
- Indirect earn credit cards. Indirect cards come with its own independent rewards program. You can usually then transfer your rewards points to the available partnered frequent flyer programs.
If you’re a loyal customer to an airline, a direct earn credit card could be right for you. If you’d prefer your points to have more flexibility, an indirect card could be a better choice.
Qantas Cash travel card
If you have a Qantas frequent flyer card, flip it over and you’ll find a Mastercard logo on the back. This is the Qantas Cash side of your card which allows you to earn points for transactions in Australia and overseas. A prepaid card, all you need to do is activate the Qantas cash, load it with funds and you’ll earn Qantas Points on all eligible purchases.
- How many points can I earn? You’ll earn 0.25 points for every $1 you spend on eligible purchases in Australian Dollars and 1.5 points for every $1 you spend on purchases in a foreign currency.
- Where can I use the card? Once you’ve loaded funds on the card, you can move your funds between 11 different currency wallets (including Australian Dollars). So while you can use the card and earn points wherever Mastercard is accepted, you’ll be able to avoid currency conversion fees in the countries that accept the currencies supported on your card.
Buy Qantas Frequent Flyer Points
If you know what reward you want to redeem but you're a few points short, you have the option of buying Qantas Points. Once every 12 months, you can purchase Qantas Points in blocks of 500 (up to a maximum of 20,000 points. You can only purchase points if you already have 85% of the points required to redeem the reward you're after, meaning you can purchase up to 15% of the points required. Purchasing 500 Qantas Points will set you back $20. See our guide on how to buy Qantas Points for more information.
Whether you’re shopping online or in-store for groceries, clothes, cosmetics or homewares, you can earn frequent flyer points on many purchases. Here are some of the different ways you rack up Qantas points while filling up your shopping cart:
Qantas’ Online Mall lets you earn Qantas Points when shopping online for everything from music, books, high-end fashion to homewares and more. Some of the big brands you can earn points with include:
|Earning points on the Qantas Online Mall||Qantas Points per $1 spent|
|David Jones||5 Points|
|The Iconic||5 Points|
|Apple Store||2 Points|
|Appliances Online||2 Points|
|Bloomingdale’s AU||4 Points|
|Bobbi Brown||4 Points|
|David Jones||5 Points|
If you’re looking to a buy gift for someone, you may as well earn points along the way. These are some of the bigger brands gift card you can earn points on:
|Gift cards||Qantas Points per $1 spent|
|David Jones||2 Points|
|JB HiFi||2 Points|
Qantas boasts a number of other shopping partners that can help you expand your points balance. Some of the brands you can look shop with include:
|Other partners||Qantas Points per $1 spent|
|Frequent Flowers||5 Points|
|In Sky Shopping||1 Point|
|Mad Paws||1 point per $1 or a flat rate of 500 Qantas Points for new customers|
Qantas Frequent Flyers can also earn 1 Qantas Point per $1 spent in-store or online with Forty Winks. With an average mattress costing you $1,500, this means you could earn 1,500 Qantas Points as well as a good night's sleep.
Cars and hotels
Make your travel dollar go further and earn points on car rentals and hotel accommodation. We've also prepared a full guide for earning more Qantas Points through staying with hotel partners.
|Booking||Qantas Points per $1 spent||Conditions and description|
|Car rental||4 Points||When you book car rentals with Avis and Budget. Learn how to earn Qantas Points on car rentals.|
|Taxis||1 Points||If you book your taxi via the GoCatch app and the fare is beyond the minimum of $10. Learn more about earning points through GoCatch.|
|Hotels||3 Points||Over 100,000 hotels in over 50,000 cities. Plus, you can earn Qantas Points when you book with on of Qantas’ 14,000 Frequent Flyer partner hotels.|
|Chauffeured limousine transfers||3 Points||Available to Qantas Valet customers, you can organise Qantas Chauffeur to wait for you when you land at your destination and return you to the airport for your flight home.|
|Qantas Valet||3 Points||Avoid the stress of airport parking and earn points with Valet parking. You can earn up to 3 Qantas Points per $1 spent on Valet parking.|
Food and wine
Turn your Pinots into points on your next meal out.
|Earn Points with||Qantas Points||Conditions and description|
|Qantas Wine||3 Points per $1 spent||Sign up to Qantas Wine to earn 1 Qantas Point per $1 while enjoying award-winning and inflight premium wines delivered to your door. If you upgrade to the Premium membership, you can earn up to 3 Points on every dollar spent on wine and events.|
|Qantas restaurants||100 Points per meal||Earn a minimum of 100 Points per meal at over 2,000 restaurants throughout Australia. Visit the Qantas website to browse where you can earn points for your next feed.|
|Rockpool Dining||Up to 2 Qantas Points per $1||2 Qantas Points per $1 for premium and casual dining and 1 Qantas Point per $1 on fast casual dining.|
Phone and web
Qantas Frequent Flyers can now earn Qantas Points or Acquire Points across three Vodafone 24 month Qantas Red plans or Qantas Red Business plans. You can earn up to 8,000 Qantas Points when you sign up, though how much you'll earn will depend on the plan you choose.
|Vodafone plan type||Qantas Points earned|
|$80 per month||4,000 points|
|$100 per month||5,000 points|
|$130 per month||7,500 points|
If you apply online rather than in-store, you can also stand to double your points. Customers who sign up online will earn:
|Vodafone plan type||Qantas Points earned|
|$80 per month||8,000 points|
|$100 per month||10,000 points|
|$130 per month||15,000 points|
Exercise and staying active
You can reward yourself with points for staying active when you link your Qantas Frequent Flyer number with the free Qantas Wellbeing app.
Based on your preferences, you can earn points for meeting challenges (such as step, running, cycling or swimming goals) as well as weekly in-app goals (like cycling 45 minutes to work every day for a week). You can also earn points when you check your BMI using the app.
The app also regularly promotes partner offers that allow you to earn bonus points if you sign up with a partnered gym or buy fresh groceries from a partnered retailer. You can also earn points when you refer a friend to sign up to Qantas Wellbeing.
As well as earning points, you can also use the app to track your daily activity and complete health assessments.
Consider yourself a movie buff? You can earn 2 Qantas Points for every $1 you spend on movie vouchers. You can use the vouchers with the following partners:
|Cinema partners||Qantas Points per $1 spent||Prices|
|Event Cinemas, BCC Cinemas, Greater Union, Village Cinemas||2 Points||Adult vouchers from $14-$15
Child vouchers from $13
|Hoyts||2 Points||Adult vouchers from $14-$15
Child vouchers from $10
|National Cinema Network||2 Points||Adult vouchers from $7.50-$15|
You can earn Qantas Points on business travel and other spending with Qantas Business Rewards. When you book eligible flights with a Qantas Business Rewards account, you'll earn points once through the account and once through individual Qantas Frequent Flyer accounts. As you accumulate points in your Business Rewards account, you can redeem them for business rewards (such as flights or upgrades for business trips) or transfer them to individual Qantas Frequent Flyer accounts to treat your employees. You can also take advantage on exclusive discounts on flights with Qantas Business Rewards. Check out our guide to Qantas Business Rewards for more on how you can reward yourself and your employees.
You can also earn Qantas Points on every $1 you spend with a Qantas business frequent flyer credit card. You can compare business credit cards that are linked to the Qantas Frequent Flyer program and other loyalty schemes on finder.Back to top
How to spend your Qantas Points
1. Claim your Qantas Points for some flight benefits
- Classic Flight Rewards. If you want to use your points for flights, look at the Classic Flight Rewards to book flights. You can estimate how many points you’ll need for a flight with the Qantas Points calculator. These can be used for flights with Qantas and its partners.
- Points Plus Pay. If you don’t have enough points to fund your Classic Flight Reward, you can use cash with "Points Plus Pay" to make up the difference.
- Classic Upgrade Rewards. If you want a taste of luxury, use your points for Classic Upgrade Rewards to upgrade to Premium Economy, Business or First Class. You can use the "Classic Upgrade Reward Calculator" on the Qantas website to determine how many points you’ll need.
- Bid Now Upgrades. Available by invitation only and for selected Qantas flights, you have the option to bid your points (or a combination of cash and points) to upgrade your flight.
2. Unlimited access to the Qantas Club
If you want unlimited access to the largest lounge network of any Australian airline, complimentary guest visit each time you travel, departure upgrades and additional baggage allowance, you might like to use your Qantas Points to fund your Qantas Club membership.
Here’s how many points you’ll need to sign up or renew your membership to the Qantas Club.
|Individual||1 year||140,000 points||75,000 points|
|2 year||215,000 points||150,000 points|
|4 year||340,000 points||275,000 points|
|Partner||1 year||85,000 points||50,000 points|
|2 year||120,000 points||85,000 points|
|4 year||185,000 points||150,000 points|
|Guest card||1 year||50,000 points||N/A|
Whether you’re looking for the latest gadgets, beauty and fashion, homewares or travel and luggage, you can use your Qantas Points to redeem from over 3,000 products. You can also use Points Plus Pay if you’re short on Points.
You can use your Qantas Points to redeem over 100,000 accommodation options worldwide. Plus, Frequent Flyer customers can also take advantage of exclusive member offers and discounts.
4. Car rentals
Redeem your Qantas Rewards for car rental vouchers with Avis, Budget, Hertz and Thrifty. Make bookings via the Qantas website or quote your Frequent Flyer number at the time of booking to use your points to redeem the voucher.
5. Travel insurance
Use your points to cut back on travel costs and pick up some peace of mind with your Qantas Points. Qantas allows cardholders to redeem their points for travel insurance with QBE Insurance. You can make your booking to claim the insurance via the Qantas website.
6. Auto Rewards
Get automatic perks every month when you sign up for Auto Rewards. This service delivers a Woolworths WISH eGift Card to your inbox every three months. All you need to do is print it off or download it on your phone to redeem your discount at participating Woolworths group stores or online.Back to top
Status Credits and Qantas Frequent Flyer membership levels
As you earn more points, you’ll pick up "Status Credits" which can help you move up the Frequent Flyer membership levels. It’s important to note that Status Credits are different to Qantas Points, so you can’t redeem them for any rewards. Here are some of the perks you can pick up with different membership levels:
- Silver. Enjoy privileges such as a priority telephone service, complimentary and preferential seat selection as well as priority check-in for domestic and international flights. Members will also get one complimentary invitation to the Qantas Club (which includes a one-visit complimentary Qantas Lounge pass) and a 50% bonus on points earned.
- Gold. Access an exclusive telephone service, complimentary seat selection with preferential seating as well as priority check-in domestically and internationally. You’ll get priority baggage, check-in and boarding as well as extra checked baggage allowance. You’ll receive complimentary membership of the Qantas Club and domestic and international lounge access. You’ll also receive 75% more Qantas Points.
- Platinum. Much-like the Silver and Gold, Platinum members can enjoy priority telephone, seating and check-in services. You’ll also receive complimentary membership to the Qantas Club, international upgrades and First Lounge and Business Lounge access. You also receive 100% more Qantas Points.
- Platinum One. Access Platinum benefits plus a personal team dedicated to you 24/7 when you fly. You can also enjoy exclusive access to extra Qantas Classic Awards seats and you can avoid most fees when booking an Award flight. You’ll also receive 100% more Qantas Points and complimentary Platinum membership for your partner.
Mistakes to avoid
- Expired points. Qantas Points will expire if your account is inactive (for example, if you don’t redeem or earn any points) over a period of 18 months. Once your points have expired, you can’t get them back.
- Forgetting to quote your Frequent Flyer number. Make sure to quote your Frequent Flyer number at the time of booking (whether its flights, car rentals or accommodation, for example) to collect your points.
- Redeeming your points for the wrong reward. How you should spend your points will depend on your personal preferences, but some rewards redemptions will offer your better value for your money than others. Calculate and compare the value of Qantas Frequent Flyer rewards here.
How to manage your Qantas Frequent Flyer account
There are a few easy ways you can manage your Qantas Frequent Flyer account:
- Qantas Frequent Flyer online account. You can log into your Frequent Flyer account using your Membership number, last name and four-digit PIN through the Qantas Frequent Flyer website. Here you can update your account information, manage your Frequent Flyer points, check your Points balance and redeem rewards.
- Qantas Points app. This app is a free and easy way to keep track of your Qantas balance on-the-go. You can also use the app to book flights, redeem rewards and browse different ways you can earn points. Download the app from iTunes or Google Play.
Qantas frequent flyer phone number
To contact Qantas Frequent Flyer, you can call the Qantas Frequent Flyer Service Centre on 13 11 31 between the hours of 7am and 7pm (AEST) Monday to Saturday. You will also need your Frequent Flyer number and PIN to access your account details.
|Enquiry type||Contact number|
|Membership enquiries||13 11 31|
|Flight Reward & Priority Reservations||13 11 31|
|Flight bookings||13 13 13|
Images: provided by Qantas