Earn and redeem Velocity points for flights, accommodation and rewards when you’re a member of the Velocity Frequent Flyer rewards program. Velocity credit cards feature bonus points offers, Velocity Points for every $1 dollar spent and other competitive card features.
The Velocity Frequent Flyer program is one of Australia’s most competitive airline loyalty programs and can be a great way for you to rack up rewards when you fly or spend with Virgin Australia and its partners. Similar to most airline rewards programs, you can earn points on eligible flights and purchases that can be redeemed for flights, travel rewards and a variety of products from the Velocity Rewards Store. Plus, as you earn more points, you’ll collect Status Credits to access even more exclusive benefits.
Learn how to join the Velocity Frequent Flyer program and how to get the most out of your Velocity Points and rewards below.
Velocity Frequent Flyer Program
Velocity Frequent Flyer is the loyalty program of Virgin Australia. Earn Velocity Points by spending on a linked credit card, spending with Virgin on their flights or services or with a Velocity partner. The Velocity program is free and takes less than 5 minutes to join.
- Earn Status Credits and you could experience first class service as a Platinum, Gold or Silver member.
- Earn Points when using a participating credit or charge card.
- Pool your family’s Velocity Points to reach your rewards faster.
- Earn Points when your Pets travel with you.
How to join the Velocity Frequent Flyer program
You can join the Velocity program by signing up through the Velocity website. Unlike some other programs, you won’t need to pay a joining fee when you sign up to Velocity. The application should only take 5-10 minutes to complete, and you’ll be required to submit personal details such as your full name, contact information and details of any other airline programs you belong to.
You’ll be asked to set up your password, so make sure it’s something memorable as you’ll need it to manage your account and check your Velocity Points balance in the future. Once you’ve submitted the application, you’ll receive your temporary BP card number that you can use to collect points at BP stations until you receive your card in the mail, which should arrive within a few weeks.
How to earn points with Velocity
You can earn Velocity Points on a lot more than flights. Take note of the following and see how you can earn points as you spend:
Flights with Virgin Australia and partner airlines
You can earn Velocity Points on eligible flights with Virgin Australia and 11 of its airline partners.
- Virgin Australia and Virgin Samoa. You can earn points with Virgin Australia and Virgin Samoa when you travel on flights with a VA flight number (including codeshare services operated by airline partners). You’ll earn 5 points per $1 spent on eligible domestic fares. You can earn between 0.5 to 2.5 points on international and long-haul flights depending on your seat fare. (Please note that you’ll be unable to earn points on Reward Seat bookings.)
Silver, Gold and Platinum members will earn additional points:
Silver Gold Platinum 50% bonus points 75% bonus points 100% bonus points
As Velocity belongs to the Star Alliance, you can also earn points with a number of its partners. Please note that how much you earn will vary on the fare and class of your seat.
|Partner airlines||Points earned|
|Singapore Airlines||You can earn between 0.1 and 1.6 Velocity Points per mile flown with eligible flights that start with SQ and are operated by Singapore Airlines, SilkAir or Virgin Australia.|
|Air New Zealand||Rack up 0.25 to 2 points per mile flown on flights with a NZ flight number with Air New Zealand, Air New Zealand Link and Virgin Australia.|
|SilkAir||Fly on a flight with a MI flight number with SilkAir or Singapore Airlines you can earn between 1.25 and 0.1 Velocity Points per mile.|
|Virgin Atlantic||If you fly with Virgin Atlantic and Virgin Australia on a VS flight, you can earn between 0.25 and 2 Velocity Points per mile. Flights branded as Little Red services will earn a flat rate of 750 Velocity Points per flight.|
|Virgin America||Travel on flights with a VX flight number and operated by Virgin America and you’ll earn between 0.5 and 1.5 Velocity Points.|
|Hawaiian Airlines||You’ll earn between 0.5 and 1.5 Velocity Points when you fly on a HA flight with Hawaiian Airlines or Ohana by Hawaiian.|
|airberlin||When you fly on an eligible flight with an AB flight number operated by airberlin or Virgin Australia, you could earn between 0.25 and 1.5 Velocity Points.|
|South African Airways||Earn between 0.5 and 1.25 Velocity Points when you fly with South African Airways or Virgin Australia.|
You can also earn Status Credits on some of these flights, although this will depend on the flight and ticket fare. Check the Velocity Frequent Flyer website to confirm whether your flight is eligible for Status Credits.
Velocity Credit cards - Earn more Velocity points
There are two main types of credit cards that allow you to earn Velocity Frequent Flyer Points on purchases.
- Velocity co-branded credit cards. These cards, otherwise known as direct earn cards, allow you to earn Velocity Points directly from your credit card purchases. Currently, Virgin Money, American Express and NAB are the only providers in Australia who offer direct-earn Velocity cards. Some of these cards will waive your Velocity joining fee, so this is something you’ll want to confirm if you’re not already a member. Earn bonus Velocity points with a credit card.
- Indirect earn credit cards. If you don’t have a Velocity co-branded credit card, you may be able to transfer your credit card rewards points to Velocity points. Some of the banks that allow you to do this include:
Bank Points earned American Express If you don’t have a Velocity American Express card, you can still earn Velocity Points on purchases. Ascent or Ascent Premium members can earn 1 Velocity Point per Membership Reward. If you’re a Business Ascent member, you’ll earn 3 Membership Reward points per 2 Velocity Points. You can also transfer 3 Membership Reward points for 2 Velocity Points. Diners Club International You can transfer 1.5 Club Rewards points for 1 Velocity Point. ANZ Business One Visa ANZ Business One Rewards members can transfer 2.25 points for 1 Velocity Point. Citi Citi Signature, Prestige and CitiBusiness Gold cardholders can transfer 2 Citi Rewards points for 1 Velocity Point. If you’re a Citi Gold or Platinum cardholder, you can transfer 2.5 Citi Rewards points for 1 Velocity Point. Card Services Card Services Gold and Platinum customers can exchange 2.5 Card Services Rewards points for 1 Velocity Point. Bank of Queensland Platinum credit card holders can transfer 3 Q Rewards points for 1 Velocity Point. Westpac You’ll get 1 Velocity Point for 2 Altitude points if you’re a Westpac customer. Commonwealth Bank If you’re a CommBank Awards or CommBank Gold Awards credit card customer, you can transfer 2.5 CommBank Award points for 1 Velocity Point. CommBank Platinum Awards and Diamond Awards customers will also receive 1 Velocity Point per 2 CommBank Award points. St.George You’ll receive 1 Velocity Point per 2 Amplify Points you transfer from your St.George rewards account to your Velocity account. Suncorp Bank You can transfer 2.5 Suncorp Bank Rewards points for 1 Velocity Point. BankSA 2 Amplify Points will get BankSA cardholders 1 Velocity Point. Bank of Melbourne BoM customers can transfer 2 Amplify Points for 1 Velocity Point. American Express New Zealand You can transfer 2 Membership Reward points for 1 Velocity Point. ANZ You can transfer 2 ANZ Reward points for 1 Velocity Point. HSBC Premier or Platinum credit card customers can exchange 2 HSBC Rewards Points for 1 Velocity Point.
Comparison of credit cards that earn Velocity Points
Rates last updated August 30th, 2016.
- NAB Velocity Rewards Premium Card
20,000 bonus points, purchases and balance transfers offers have been extended until 2 October 2016.
August 9th, 2016
- Virgin Australia Velocity Flyer Card - 0% Interest Offer
0% purchase and balance transfer offers extended until 30 September 2016.
August 25th, 2016
- Virgin Australia Velocity High Flyer Card - 30k Bonus Points offer
Balance transfer offer has been extended until 30 September 2016.
August 25th, 2016
Take your money overseas with a travel money card - Velocity Global Wallet
The Velocity membership card functions in two ways. While you can use one side to earn points, you can use the other as your Global Wallet prepaid Visa card. The Velocity Global Wallet supports up to 11 foreign currencies, five of which you can load at one time. As well as allowing you to access several supported currencies without the cost of currency conversion funds overseas, you can also earn 1 Velocity Point per $1 spent overseas and 1 Velocity Point per $2 spent in Australia. Learn more about the Velocity Global Wallet.
If you fill up at any participating BP service station, you can earn two Velocity Points on every fuel purchase up to 150 litres and for in-store purchases up to $100 per transaction. All you have to do is swipe your Velocity membership card before you pay. If you’ve misplaced your card, you can pick up a temporary card in-store, then register and link your temporary card number to your Velocity Account within 30 days to claim the points. See how earning Velocity Points on fuel stacks up against the Qantas Frequent Flyer program
Car hire and service
If you’re going on a road trip or need to rent a car for your next trip, book with Hertz, Europcar or Thrifty and you can earn up to 3 points per $1 spent on the rental.
Book an appointment with Midas and you can earn up to 3 points per $1 spent on essential, extensive and logbook services at over 85 Midas Auto Service Expert centres across Australia. Discover how you can earn Velocity Points on car rentals here.
The next time you book a hotel, book with one of Velocity’s partners to earn points on your reservation at over 600,000 hotels worldwide.
|Velocity's partners||Points earned|
|Book via Agoda||Book your accommodation through Agoda and you can earn 3 Points per $1 spent.|
|Transfer Points||Members of the Starwood Preferred Guest, Le Club AccorHotels, Choice Privileges, Hilton HHonors, IHG Rewards and the Golden Circle hotel rewards programs can transfer their rewards to Velocity Points.|
|Hotel partners||Velocity Frequent Flyers can earn the following Velocity Points on holiday stays:a) Within Australia|
b) Outside Australia
Wine and dine
Spoil yourself with a good meal and earn points at the same time with these services.
|OpenTable||You can earn 300 points for every honoured booking with OpenTable (formerly bookarestaurant.com). There are hundreds of restaurants to choose from, so browse the Velocity website to find your preferred restaurant and start earning points.|
|Babylon Restaurant and the Private Members Club at the Roof Gardens||If you’re planning a holiday to London, you could get extra value out of a booking at either of these venues. Dine at Babylon Restaurant or book a VIP table/private space in The Club and you will earn 6 points per £1 spent, up to £1,000, and 1 point for every £1.50 spent thereafter.|
|Virgin Wines||Wine enthusiasts can earn 3 points per $1 spent on Virgin Wines. You can purchase these wines through the Velocity website.|
Whether you’re looking for fashion, gadgets, homewares or vouchers, you can earn 2 points per dollar spent with your choice of over 200 retailers.
Holidays and travel
Book and create a holiday package with Virgin Australia Holidays and you can earn 3 points per $1 spent on flights, accommodation, tours and activities across Australia, New Zealand, Asia, the Pacific and North America.
Lifestyle and entertainment
If you’re looking to get fit, try something new or organise a gift, earn Velocity Points along the way with these services.
|RedBalloon||Whether your loved one is a thrillseeker or professional relaxer, you’ll find the perfect gift from over 3,000 ideas on RedBalloon, earning you 2 Velocity Points per $1 spent.|
|Jetts Fitness||Are you looking to get more active? You can earn 2 points per $1 spent on membership payments and bonus points if you visit the Jetts Fitness 24/7 gym five or more times a month.|
|onsport.com.au||You’ll need new activewear to go with that gym membership. You can earn 2 points per $1 spent at onsport.com.au when you add your Velocity membership number to your purchase.|
|Virgin Mobile||You can currently earn 3 points per $1 spent on an eligible 24-month postpaid mobile phone, mobile SIM or a 12-month postpaid mobile broadband plan every month. As of February 2016, all new and existing Virgin Mobile customers who have linked their mobile and rewards accounts will earn 2 Velocity Points per $1 spent on all eligible products.|
|Golf2Day||Enjoy a day on the green, get access to exclusive clubs and earn 2 points per dollar spent when you sign up and book your next game of golf with Golf2Day. If you’re not already a member, Velocity members can join for free with the invitation code ‘VELOCITYJOIN’.|
|e-Rewards||You can even earn points for sharing your opinion. Fill out a survey with e-Rewards and earn 750 bonus Velocity Points when you complete a survey within three months of enrolling.|
|Flight Experience||Want to know what it’s like to fly a plane? Try the Flight Experience flight simulator and earn 2 Velocity Points per $1 spent on gift vouchers, flight simulator experiences and fear of flying courses.|
Home and business services
Earn points on everyday and business expenses with these services.
|petinsurance.com.au||Take care of your feathered, fluffy or scaly friend with petinsurance.com.au and earn 3 Velocity Points per $1 spent.|
|Servcorp||Whether you need a desk in Hong Kong or a boardroom in Melbourne, you can book workspaces with Servcorp and earn 3 Velocity Points per $1 spent.|
|Lumo Energy||Switch to Lumo Energy and earn 10,000 Velocity Points, plus 6 points per $1 spent on energy bills.|
|MyPost Digital Mailbox||Organise your electronic bills and documents in one safe place with Australia Post’s MyPost Digital Mailbox. Every time you pay a bill with a value of $50 or more via your Digital Mailbox, you’ll earn $50 Velocity Points.|
|Virgin Money - Comprehensive Car Insurance||Save 25% and pick up 5,000 bonus Velocity Points when you purchase Virgin Car Insurance Price Saver cover online before 31 December 2016.|
Family pooling and transfers
If you and your family are all Velocity Frequent Flyers, you can combine (or pool) your Velocity Points and Status Credits within the same account to maximise your points-earning ability. A family pool can consist of a total of six family members who live at the same address. Only two members can be 18 years or over and up to four members can be 17 years of age and younger. You’ll need to assign one member as the main beneficiary who will hold the points.
You can set up a family pool by logging in to "My Account" and clicking on "Family Pooling".
How you can redeem your Velocity Frequent Flyer points
Browse some of the ways you can turn your Velocity Points into rewards.
|Virgin Australia||You can use your Velocity Points to book a Reward Seat or an Any Seat with Virgin Airlines and its partners. You can do this by logging into your online account and opting to book your flights with points. How many points you’ll need will depend on the route of the flight and the seat fare you choose. You can calculate how many points you’ll need for your flight on the Velocity website.|
|Airline partners||You can redeem your points for a Reward Seat on flights with Delta Air Lines, Etihad Airways, Singapore Airlines, SilkAir and selected codeshare flights operated by Virgin America. You can redeem points for a Rewards Seat with one of Virgin’s partners by contacting the customer service team on 13 18 75.|
|Flight Reward options||Reward Seats can be redeemed for as little as 6,900 points. These seats are subject to availability though, so you’ll need to book fast. If you can’t find the Reward Seat you want, you can select Any Seat with Virgin Australia. These seats have a higher points price but usually offer more flexibility. You can also choose Any Seat, Any Flight, which allows you to use your points with Virgin’s partners when you can’t get a flight with Virgin.|
How to redeem your Velocity Points
Step 1. Log into your Velocity Rewards account and click on the redeem button in the top menu.
Step 2. Choose from one of the options available in the drop-down menu.
Step 3. Adjust how many points you want to spend on your item with the slider. Once you’re happy with your selection, click on the "Add to cart" button.
2 points per USD$1 spent at hotels and resorts within the Hilton Portfolio
2 points per AUD$1 spent at Travelodge
1 point per AUD$1 spent at qualia
Family pooling allows you to combine your family’s Velocity Points within the same account to reward you with greater benefits. For example, if you’re planning a family holiday but one member doesn’t have enough points to cover their flights and you have some extra, you can pool your points together to increase the savings. A total of six family members who live at the same address can pool their points. Only two members can be 18 years or over and up to four members can be 17 years of age and younger. You’ll need to assign one member as the main beneficiary who will hold the points.
Other rewards you can redeem with Velocity
Redeeming your Velocity Points on flights is a valued reward, but it’s not the only one. The Velocity Frequent Flyer program offers a wide range of products that can all be purchased by using your Velocity Points.
See more of the world for less with Velocity and use your points to fly to over 600 destinations.
|Virgin Australia||Travel the world by redeeming your points to fly to over 600 destinations. When booking your flight, you’ll be able to compare costs with points needed for each flight to ensure your points are spent wisely.|
|Partnered airlines||If Virgin Australia doesn’t offer the flight you’re looking for, you can fly with one of its partnered airlines. Redeem your points for a Reward Seat on flights with Delta Air Lines, Etihad Airways, Singapore Airlines, SilkAir and selected Virgin America flights.|
|Flight upgrades||For a little extra space and comfort, you can redeem your points and upgrade to Premium Economy or Business Class.|
|Points plus Pay||If you don’t have enough points to cover 100% of the redemption booking, you can choose the Points plus Pay option. This will allow you to pay for a portion of the flight and use your points to cover the rest.|
Velocity Rewards Store
The Velocity Rewards Store offers a range of products you can redeem for points. From camping equipment and home and outdoor products to leisure and entertainment or fashion accessories, you’ll find the perfect gift for a loved one or shop for yourself. You can also choose the Points plus Pay option if you decide to splurge and don’t have enough points to cover the entire purchase.
Redeem your Velocity Points for car hire when you book with Europcar via CarTrawler. To be eligible, you’ll need a minimum balance of 4,000 points in your account and you can only redeem points for car hire in Australia, New Zealand, Great Britain, France, Italy, Portugal, Germany, Spain, Belgium, Austria and Switzerland. The number of points required for your journey will vary, but you do have the Points plus Pay option available.
You can use your Velocity Points to book your next accommodation at one of the 75,000 hotels available across 180 countries. Another option is to redeem your Velocity Points for a gift voucher with selected hotel partners.
Holidays and travel
If your tight budget is making it difficult to save some extra cash for a holiday, then redeeming your Velocity Points on holiday packages may take some of the pressure off.
|Virgin Australia Holidays||Guided by experts from Virgin Australia Holidays, you can use your points to book your entire holiday. From your flights right down to activities, you can have your next holiday planned and paid for through your Velocity Frequent Flyer membership.|
|Virgin Australia lounge||Enjoy the facilities in the Virgin Lounge before you fly.Redeem your points for a single entry pass or an annual membership to the Virgin Australia Lounge. Silver members may also use points for the discounted annual lounge membership offer.|
|Cruisepilot||If an all-inclusive holiday with no hassle is your style, then you may want to redeem your points on a cruise. Compare cruise packages from leading cruise liners, including P&O, Royal Caribbean and Captain Cook before using your Velocity Points to book and sail away.|
|Brunel Limousines||Organising transfers to and from the airport can now be an affordable luxury when you redeem your points to book a chauffeur-driven car through Brunel Limousines.|
|Golf2Day||As a Velocity member you can redeem your points for $50, $100 or $200 Golf2Day gift cards, which can be used at golf clubs across the country. You’ll also have access to private, members-only golf clubs.|
|onsport.com.au||onsport.com.au is a leading online sports store in Australia. Redeem your points on fitness and sport apparel, products and experiences from the world’s biggest sports brands.|
If you’re looking to redeem your points but you’re a little short, you can purchase extra Velocity Points. Here are some basic requirements you need to consider before purchasing a Points Booster.
- How many points can I purchase? Velocity Frequent Flyer Points must be purchased in blocks of 500, with a minimum of 500 points minimum and a maximum of 50,000 points per purchase.
- Do I need to know what my Reward will be? You must nominate your intended Reward and the total number of points you require at the time of purchase.
- How often can I purchase points? Velocity Points Booster purchases are permitted twice per calendar year, per member.
- Can I purchase points for someone else? Purchased points may only be purchased by a member for their own use.
- Do I need to have Points in my account? You must hold 80% of the total required points balance for the intended reward in your account at the time of the Velocity Points Booster purchase.
- Are the points refundable? Velocity Points Booster purchases are non-refundable.
You can transfer points from your account to the account of an eligible family member, up to four times per membership year. Each transfer must be for between 5,000 and 100,000 points. You can complete the transfer either online by logging onto your Velocity account online or by calling the Membership Contact Centre. Telephone transfers will incur a $20 fee.
Velocity Frequent Flyer membership levels
As you use your Velocity Frequent Flyer membership, you will earn Status Credits, which will help you move up the membership tiers. You cannot redeem points with your Status Credits, but you will enjoy exclusive benefits for your membership level.
- Silver. To acquire Silver membership, you will need to have accumulated 250 Status Credits and have flown two Eligible Sectors. At this level, you will enjoy privileges such as priority telephone services, seating preferences, priority check-in, access to the Virgin Lounge and 50% bonus points when you fly with Virgin Australia or selected travel partners.
- Gold. Once your Status Credit balance reaches 500 and you have flown four Eligible Sectors, you will be automatically upgraded to Gold membership. Gold membership will reward you with the same benefits of Silver membership as well as priority boarding, ability to change flights to an earlier time on the same booking, access to global lounges, and 75% points bonus when you fly with Virgin Australia or selected travel partners.
- Platinum. To become a member of the most elite membership tier, your Status Credit balance must be 1,000 and have flown to eight Eligible Sectors. This level will entitle you to all of the benefits offered to Silver and Gold memberships as well as access to all Virgin Lounges as well as Global Lounges, Priority seating and boarding as well as luggage allowances and 100% points bonus when you fly with Virgin Australia or selected travel partners.
Mistakes to avoid
- Expired points. If you let your points expire, you can’t get them back. Your points will not expire as long as you are an active member, which means that you will have earned or redeemed points within a 24-month period.
- Forgetting to quote your Frequent Flyer number. You will need to quote your Velocity Frequent Flyer number at the time you make a booking. Whether it’s for car hire, accommodation or a restaurant reservation, be sure to provide your account details.
- Redeeming your points for the wrong reward. How you spend your Velocity Points is your decision. However, some rewards may offer high value for money than others, so shop around.
- Your points haven’t come through to your account. To claim points, you will need to log into your account and submit a missing points claim.
- Not logging into your account before shopping at the e-store. If you weren’t logged into your Velocity account before shopping at the e-store, you will not be allocated the points you earned.
How to manage your Velocity Frequent Flyer account
Managing your Velocity Frequent Flyer account can be done in three ways.
- Velocity Frequent Flyer online account. By logging into your account using your membership number and password, you will have access to your account details, update your personal information, make a flight booking, find out how to submit a missing points claim, view your points balance and redeem your points.
- Contact centre. If you would like to speak to someone directly about your membership details, you can call the Membership Contact Centre on 13 18 75.
- Virgin Australia app. You can download the Virgin Australia app for free from iTunes or Google Play and track your Velocity Points balance and Status Credits balance, transfer your points to a family member and claim missing points.