Guide to the Velocity Frequent Flyer Program
Discover how you can earn and redeem Velocity points for flights, accommodation and rewards when you’re a member of the Velocity Frequent Flyer rewards program.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Virgin Australia's Velocity Frequent Flyer program is one of Australia’s most popular airline programs, boasting 10 million members. Similar to most airline rewards programs, Velocity frequent flyers can earn points when flying with Virgin Australia and its airline partners and when making eligible purchases, including those made with a Velocity rewards credit card.
Once you've earned enough points, you can redeem them for everything from flights and travel rewards to a variety of products and experiences from the Velocity Rewards Store. Plus, as you collect more points, you'll earn Status Credits to access even more exclusive benefits. Learn how to join the Velocity Frequent Flyer program and how to get the most out of your Velocity Points and rewards below.
What's in this guide?
- How to join the Velocity Frequent Flyer program
- How to earn points with Velocity
- Comparison of credit cards that earn Velocity Points
- How you can redeem your Velocity Frequent Flyer points
- Other rewards you can redeem with Velocity
- Velocity Frequent Flyer membership levels
- What are Velocity's membership levels?
- How do I get Silver, Gold or Platinum Velocity Status?
- Maintaining Velocity status
- Mistakes to avoid
- How to manage your Velocity Frequent Flyer account
- Updating your frequent flyer details for a Virgin Australia flight
How to join the Velocity Frequent Flyer program
You can join the Velocity program by signing up through the Velocity website. Unlike some other programs, you won’t need to pay a joining fee when you sign up to Velocity. The application should only take 5-10 minutes to complete, and you’ll be required to submit personal details such as your full name, contact information and details of any other airline programs you belong to.
You’ll be asked to set up your password, so make sure it’s something memorable as you’ll need it to manage your account and check your Velocity Points balance in the future. Once you’ve submitted the application, you’ll receive your temporary BP card number that you can use to collect points at BP stations until you receive your card in the mail, which should arrive within a few weeks.
How to earn points with Velocity
You can earn Velocity Points on a lot more than flights. Take note of the following and see how you can earn points as you spend:
Flights with Virgin Australia and partner airlines
You can earn Velocity Points on eligible flights with Virgin Australia and its airline partners.
Virgin Australia and Virgin Samoa
You can earn points with Virgin Australia and Virgin Samoa when you travel on flights with a VA flight number (including codeshare services operated by airline partners). You’ll earn 5 points per $1 spent on eligible domestic fares. You can earn between 0.5 to 2.5 points on international and long-haul flights depending on your seat fare. (Please note that you’ll be unable to earn points on Reward Seat bookings.)
Silver, Gold and Platinum members will earn additional points:
|50% bonus points||75% bonus points||100% bonus points|
|Partner airlines||Points earned|
|Air New Zealand||Rack up 0.25 to 2 points per mile flown on flights with a NZ flight number with Air New Zealand, Air New Zealand Link and Virgin Australia. You can also earn Status Credits on all eligible fare types.|
Changes from 1 November 2017: You will only be able to earn points and Status Credits when travelling on Air New Zealand operated flights within and between Australia and New Zealand from 1 November 2017 onwards. Any bookings made prior to 10 July 2017 for travel after 1 November 2017 will still be eligible for Velocity Points and Status Credit earn.
|Alitalia||Earn between 0.25 and 2 Velocity Points per mile when you travel in an eligible class on flights with an AZ flight number that are operated by Alitalia or Virgin Australia. You can also earn Status Credits on all eligible fare types.|
|Capital Airlines||Earn between 0.5 and 3 points when you travel in an eligible fare class with a JD flight number. Note that you'll only earn points on Capital Airlines operated flights within or between Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong and Greater China (China, Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan).|
|Delta||Enjoy between 0.5 and 2 Velocity Points for eligible flights with Delta. Silver, Gold and Platinum members also get point bonuses on flights with VA flight numbers.|
Changes from 31 July 2017: From this date, Silver, Gold and Platinum Velocity members will also earn a points bonus on flights with a DL flight number, as well as those with a VA number.
|Etihad||Earn between 0.25 and 4 Velocity Points for your eligible flights with Etihad Airways.|
|FlyPelican||Earn between 1 and 2 Velocity Points per $1 when you travel domestically in eligible fare classes on flights that are operated and marketed by FlyPelican.|
|Hainan Airlines||Earn between 0.5 and 3 Velocity Points when you travel on eligible codeshare flights. Note that points can only be earned on Hainan Airlines operated flights within or between Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong and Greater China (China, Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan).|
|Hawaiian Airlines||You’ll earn between 0.5 and 1.5 Velocity Points when you fly on a HA flight with Hawaiian Airlines or Ohana by Hawaiian.|
|Hong Kong Airlines||Earn between 0.1 and 2 Velocity Points when you travel in an eligible fare class on flights with a HX flight number that are operated by Hong Kong Airlines or Virgin Australia. You can also earn Status Credits on all eligible fare types.|
|Singapore Airlines||You can earn between 0.1 and 1.6 Velocity Points per mile flown with eligible flights that start with SQ and are operated by Singapore Airlines, SilkAir or Virgin Australia.|
|SilkAir||Fly on a flight with a MI flight number with SilkAir or Singapore Airlines you can earn between 1.25 and 0.1 Velocity Points per mile.|
|South African Airways||Earn between 0.5 and 1.25 Velocity Points when you fly with South African Airways or Virgin Australia.|
|Tianjin Airline||Earn between 0.5 and 2 Velocity Points per mile when you travel in an eligible fare class with a GS flight number. Points can only be earned on Tianjin Airlines operated flights within or between Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong and Greater China (China, Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan). You can also earn Status Credits on all eligible fare types.|
|Virgin Atlantic||If you fly with Virgin Atlantic and Virgin Australia on a VS flight, you can earn between 0.25 and 2 Velocity Points per mile. Flights branded as Little Red services will earn a flat rate of 750 Velocity Points per flight.|
|Virgin America||Travel on flights with a VX flight number and operated by Virgin America and you’ll earn between 0.5 and 1.5 Velocity Points.Changes from 30 September 2017: After this date, Velocity members will not be able to earn and redeem points with Virgin America.|
You can also earn Status Credits on some of these flights, although this will depend on the flight and ticket fare. Check the Velocity Frequent Flyer website to confirm whether your flight is eligible for Status Credits.
Earning points with a Velocity credit card
There is a range of reward credit cards that allow you to earn Velocity points for your everyday spending. There are two main options to consider:
- Velocity co-branded credit cards. These cards, otherwise known as direct earn cards, allow you to earn Velocity Points directly from your credit card purchases. Currently, Virgin Money, American Express and NAB are the only providers in Australia who offer direct-earn Velocity cards. Some of these cards will waive your Velocity joining fee, so this is something you’ll want to confirm if you’re not already a member. Earn bonus Velocity points with a credit card.
- Indirect earn credit cards. If you don’t have a Velocity co-branded credit card, you may be able to transfer your credit card rewards points to Velocity points. Some of the banks that allow you to do this include:
Bank Points earned American Express If you don’t have a Velocity American Express card, you can still earn Velocity Points on purchases. Ascent or Ascent Premium members can earn 1 Velocity Point per Membership Reward. If you’re a Business Ascent member, you’ll earn 3 Membership Reward points per 2 Velocity Points. You can also transfer 3 Membership Reward points for 2 Velocity Points. Diners Club International You can transfer 1 point for 1 Velocity Point. ANZ Business Rewards ANZ Business Rewards members can transfer 2.25 points for 1 Velocity Point. Citi Citi Premier (existing customers only), Prestige and CitiBusiness Gold cardholders can transfer 2 Citi Rewards points for 1 Velocity Point. If you’re a Citi Gold or Platinum cardholder, you can transfer 2.5 Citi Rewards points for 1 Velocity Point. Card Services Card Services Gold and Platinum customers can exchange 2.5 Card Services Rewards points for 1 Velocity Point. Bank of Queensland Platinum credit card holders can transfer 3 Q Rewards points for 1 Velocity Point. Westpac You’ll get 1 Velocity Point for 2 Altitude points if you’re a Westpac customer. Commonwealth Bank If you’re a CommBank Awards credit card customer, you can transfer 2.5 CommBank Award points for 1 Velocity Point. CommBank Platinum Awards and Diamond Awards customers will also receive 1 Velocity Point per 2 CommBank Award points. St.George You’ll receive 1 Velocity Point per 2 Amplify Points you transfer from your St.George rewards account to your Velocity account. Suncorp Bank You can transfer 2.5 Suncorp Bank Rewards points for 1 Velocity Point. BankSA 2 Amplify Points will get BankSA cardholders 1 Velocity Point. Bank of Melbourne BoM customers can transfer 2 Amplify Points for 1 Velocity Point. American Express New Zealand You can transfer 2 Membership Reward points for 1 Velocity Point. ANZ You can transfer 2 ANZ Reward points for 1 Velocity Point. HSBC Premier or Platinum credit card customers can exchange 2 HSBC Rewards Points for 1 Velocity Point.
Comparison of credit cards that earn Velocity Points
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
Velocity Global Wallet travel money card
Update: As of 1 February 2021, you can not earn Velocity Points through the Global Wallet card. This is because Velocity Frequent Flyer ended its relationship with the card. As you can still use Global Wallet funds, we have kept the previous details of the card in case you're interested.
Before 1 February 2021: The Velocity membership card functions in two ways. While you can use one side to earn points, you can use the other as your Global Wallet prepaid Visa card. The Velocity Global Wallet supports up to 11 foreign currencies, five of which you can load at one time. As well as allowing you to access several supported currencies without the cost of currency conversion funds overseas, you can also earn Velocity Points per $1 you spend in Australia and overseas. Learn more about the Velocity Global Wallet.
If you fill up at any participating BP service station, you can earn 2 Velocity Points on every fuel purchase up to 150 litres and for in-store purchases up to $100 per transaction. All you have to do is swipe your Velocity membership card before you pay. If you’ve misplaced your card, you can pick up a temporary card in-store, then register and link your temporary card number to your Velocity Account within 30 days to claim the points.
Shopping with Flybuys
In October 2016, Velocity and Coles' Flybuys announced an alliance that would allow cardholders to trade their Flybuys points for Velocity Points. This means that you can earn Velocity Points when shopping at Coles, Coles Express fuel stations and 27 partnered retailers (including Kmart, Target, Liquorland, Telstra, OPSM and more). You can transfer your Flybuys in increments of 2,000 Flybuys for 870 Velocity Points, equalling an exchange rate of 0.43 Velocity Points for every dollar you spend with Flybuys partners.
Car hire, service and parking
If you’re going on a road trip or need to rent a car for your next trip, book with Hertz, Europcar or Thrifty and you can earn up to 3 points per $1 (up to 800 points) spent on the rental. You can also earn bonus points if you're a Silver, Gold or Platinum member.
Book an appointment with Midas and you can earn up to 2 points per $1 spent on essential, extensive and logbook services at over 85 Midas Auto Service Expert centres across Australia. Discover how you can earn Velocity Points on car rentals here.
Book a Bay with Wilson Parking and you'll earn 5 Velocity Points per $1. Just visit the Wilson Parking website, enter your desired car park location and booking details, select Velocity under "Award Program" and enter your Velocity frequent flyer number.
The next time you book a hotel, book with one of Velocity’s partners to earn points on your reservation at over 600,000 hotels worldwide.
|Velocity's partners||Points earned|
|Velocity Hotels||Book your accommodation through Velocity Hotels (powered by Kaligo) to earn 3 Points per $1 spent at over 465,000 properties worldwide. Plus, save up to 40% off Hotels Worldwide.|
|Transfer points||Members of the Starwood Preferred Guest, Le Club AccorHotels, Choice Privileges, Hilton Honors, IHG Rewards and the Golden Circle hotel rewards programs can transfer their rewards to Velocity Points. See our guide on how to transfer your hotel rewards to your Velocity account for more information.|
|Hotel partners||Velocity Frequent Flyers can earn the following Velocity Points on holiday stays:a) Within Australia|
b) Outside Australia
See our guide on how to earn Velocity Points with partnered hotels for more information.
Wine and dine
Spoil yourself with a good meal and earn points at the same time with these services.
|OpenTable||You can earn 300 points for every honoured booking with OpenTable (formerly bookarestaurant.com). There are hundreds of restaurants to choose from, so browse the Velocity website to find your preferred restaurant and start earning points.|
|Babylon Restaurant and the Private Members Club at the Roof Gardens||If you’re planning a holiday to London, you could get extra value out of a booking at either of these venues. Dine at Babylon Restaurant or book a VIP table/private space in The Club and you will earn 6 points per £1 spent, up to £1,000, and 1 point for every £1.50 spent thereafter.|
|Virgin Wines||Wine enthusiasts can earn 3 points per $1 spent on Virgin Wines. You can purchase these wines through the Velocity website.|
|Laithwaite's Wines||Frequent flyers can enjoy exclusive wine offers and receive 3 Velocity Points per $1 spent on every case of wine.|
The Velocity e-Store is an online shopping service that lets you earn points with over 200 retailers, including Apple Australia, David Jones, Myer, THE ICONIC and eBay. You'll earn 2 Velocity Points per $1 spent with most retailers through the Velocity e-Store, with some partner brands offering up to 5 points per $1 through limited-time promotions.
You only earn points when you go to a brand's website via the Velocity e-Store using the follow these steps:
- Log in to the Velocity e-Store website using your frequent flyer login details.
- Click on the brand you want to shop with and click through to its website.
- Choose what you want to buy and pay for it in the same session.
Velocity will email you within 7 days of a successful Velocity e-Store purchase to confirm that you've earned points, but it coudl be up to 37 days before the points are added to your Velocity Frequent Flyer account.
Holidays and travel
Book and create a holiday package with Virgin Australia Holidays and you can earn 3 points per $1 spent on flights, accommodation, tours and activities across Australia, New Zealand, Asia, the Pacific and North America.
Lifestyle and entertainment
If you’re looking to get fit, try something new or organise a gift, earn Velocity Points along the way with these services.
|RedBalloon||Whether your loved one is a thrill-seeker or professional relaxer, you’ll find the perfect gift from over 3,000 ideas on RedBalloon, earning you 2 Velocity Points per $1 spent.|
|Jetts Fitness||Are you looking to get more active? You can earn 2 points per $1 spent on membership payments and bonus points if you visit the Jetts Fitness 24/7 gym five or more times a month.|
|onsport.com.au||You’ll need new activewear to go with that gym membership. You can earn 5 points per $1 spent at onsport.com.au when you add your Velocity membership number to your purchase.|
|Virgin Mobile||Although Virgin Mobile is phasing out, existing customers can currently earn 2 points per $1 spent on an eligible 24-month postpaid mobile phone, mobile SIM or a 12-month postpaid mobile broadband plan every month until 30 June 2020.|
|Optus||You can earn up to 40,000 Velocity Points when you upgrade to an eligible Optus plan by 9 December 2019. Members can collect up to 20,000 Velocity Points on mobile plans, SIM only, watches, tablets and data SIMs after 9 December 2019, with points offers available to both new and existing Optus customers.|
|Golf2Day||Enjoy a day on the green, get access to exclusive clubs and earn 2 points per dollar spent when you sign up and book your next game of golf with Golf2Day. If you’re not already a member, Velocity members can join for free with the invitation code ‘VELOCITYJOIN’.|
|e-Rewards||You can even earn points for sharing your opinion. Fill out a survey with e-Rewards and earn 750 bonus Velocity Points when you complete a survey within three months of enrolling.|
|Pacific Smiles Dental||Earn Velocity Points for taking care of your dental health when you visit Pacific Smiles Dental. You'll receive 500 Velocity Points after your first eligible Pacific Smiles visit, followed by 250 Velocity Points for every checkup thereafter. You can take advantage of a maximum of two checkups in a 12 month period.|
Home and business services
Earn points on everyday and business expenses with these services.
|petinsurance.com.au||Take care of your feathered, fluffy or scaly friend with petinsurance.com.au and earn 3 Velocity Points per $1 spent.|
|EnergyAustralia||You can earn up to 20,000 Velocity Points if you sign up to an eligible gas and electricity account and link it with your frequent flyer account before 3 May 2017. Existing EnergyAustralia customers can also earn 1,000 bonus points and a $100 Virgin Australia Holidays voucher when they link their accounts by 3 May 2017. Both new and existing customers who have linked their EnergyAustralia and Velocity accounts will receive an anniversary 2,000 Velocity Points bonus every year.|
|Virgin Money - Comprehensive Car Insurance||New Virgin Car Insurance comprehensive cover customers can earn up to 10,000 Velocity Points for a limited time. You'll need to apply by 5 June 2019 and hold the policy for at least 6 months to qualify for the points. Terms and conditions apply.|
|Virgin Money - Life Insurance|
New eligible customers can earn 25,000 Velocity Points when they purchase a new Virgin Life Insurance policy by 1 July 2019. A minimum of $80 per month/6 months policy and other terms and conditions apply.
|Virgin Money - Income Insurance||New eligible customers can earn 25,000 Velocity Points when they purchase a new Virgin Income Protection policy by 1 July 2019. A minimum of $80 per month/6 months policy and other terms and conditions apply.|
|Virgin Money - Home and Contents Insurance||Save 30% and earn 5,000 Velocity Points when you combine and buy Virgin Home and Contents Insurance Price Saver online before 31 Dec 2018.|
|Virgin Money Reward Me Home Loan||You'll be rewarded with 10,000 Velocity Points for every $100,000 drawn at settlement. You'll also receive 1,000 points every month as you pay down your loan and 30,000 points every 3 years to reward your loyalty.|
|Virgin/Cover-More Travel Insurance||Available at the Virgin Cover-More portal site you could earn 3 points per $1 spent and enjoy peace of mind with travel insurance and emergency medical assistance. Silver, Gold and Platinum members will also earn a 50%, 75% and 100% respectively on top of the base points earned.|
|OnMarket investment||Earn 1 Velocity Point for every $4 invested via OnMarket.|
Family pooling and transfers
If you and your family are all Velocity Frequent Flyers, you can combine (or pool) your Velocity Points and Status Credits within the same account to maximise your points-earning ability. A family pool can consist of a total of six family members who live at the same address. Only two members can be 18 years or over and up to four members can be 17 years of age and younger. You’ll need to assign one member as the main beneficiary who will hold the points.
You can set up a family pool by logging in to "My Account" and clicking on "Family Pooling".
How you can redeem your Velocity Frequent Flyer points
Browse some of the ways you can turn your Velocity Points into rewards.
|Virgin Australia||You can use your Velocity Points to book a Reward Seat or an Any Seat with Virgin Airlines and its partners. You can do this by logging into your online account and opting to book your flights with points. How many points you’ll need will depend on the route of the flight and the seat fare you choose. You can calculate how many points you’ll need for your flight on the Velocity website.|
|Airline partners||You can redeem your points for a Reward Seat on flights with Delta Air Lines, Etihad Airways, Singapore Airlines, SilkAir and other eligible partners. You can redeem points for a Rewards Seat with one of Virgin’s partners by contacting the customer service team on 13 18 75.|
|Flight Reward options||Reward Seats can be redeemed for as little as 6,900 points. These seats are subject to availability though, so you’ll need to book fast. If you can’t find the Reward Seat you want, you can select Any Seat with Virgin Australia. These seats have a higher points price but usually offer more flexibility. You can also choose Any Seat, Any Flight, which allows you to use your points with Virgin’s partners when you can’t get a flight with Virgin.|
How to redeem your Velocity Points
Step 1. Log into your Velocity Rewards account and click on the redeem button in the top menu.
Step 2. Choose from one of the options available in the drop-down menu.
Step 3. Adjust how many points you want to spend on your item with the slider. Once you’re happy with your selection, click on the "Add to cart" button.
2 points per USD$1 spent at hotels and resorts within the Hilton Portfolio
2 points per AUD$1 spent at Travelodge
1 point per AUD$1 spent at qualia
Family pooling allows you to combine your family’s Velocity Points within the same account to reward you with greater benefits. For example, if you’re planning a family holiday but one member doesn’t have enough points to cover their flights and you have some extra, you can pool your points together to increase the savings. A total of six family members who live at the same address can pool their points. Only two members can be 18 years or over and up to four members can be 17 years of age and younger. You’ll need to assign one member as the main beneficiary who will hold the points.
Other rewards you can redeem with Velocity
Redeeming your Velocity Points on flights is a valued reward, but it’s not the only one. The Velocity Frequent Flyer program offers a wide range of products that can all be purchased by using your Velocity Points.
See more of the world for less with Velocity and use your points to fly to over 600 destinations.
|Virgin Australia||Travel the world by redeeming your points to fly to over 600 destinations. When booking your flight, you’ll be able to compare costs with points needed for each flight to ensure your points are spent wisely.|
|Partnered airlines||If Virgin Australia doesn’t offer the flight you’re looking for, you can fly with one of its partnered airlines. Redeem your points for a Reward Seat on flights with Delta Air Lines, Etihad Airways, Singapore Airlines, SilkAir and selected flights with other partners.|
|Flight upgrades||For a little extra space and comfort, you can redeem your points and upgrade to Premium Economy or Business Class.|
|Points plus Pay||If you don’t have enough points to cover 100% of the redemption booking, you can choose the Points plus Pay option. This will allow you to pay for a portion of the flight and use your points to cover the rest.|
Velocity Rewards Store
The Velocity Rewards Store offers a range of products you can redeem for points, including gift cards, home and outdoor products, leisure and entertainment experiences and fashion accessories. You can also choose the Points plus Pay option if you decide to splurge and don’t have enough points to cover the entire purchase.
Redeem your Velocity Points for car hire when you book with Europcar via CarTrawler. To be eligible, you’ll need a minimum balance of 4,000 points in your account and you can only redeem points for car hire in Australia, New Zealand, Great Britain, France, Italy, Portugal, Germany, Spain, Belgium, Austria and Switzerland. The number of points required for your journey will vary, but you do have the Points plus Pay option available.
You can use your Velocity Points to book your next accommodation at one of the 75,000 hotels available across 180 countries. Another option is to redeem your Velocity Points for a gift voucher with selected hotel partners.
Holidays and travel
If your tight budget is making it difficult to save some extra cash for a holiday, then redeeming your Velocity Points on holiday packages may take some of the pressure off.
|Virgin Australia Holidays||Guided by experts from Virgin Australia Holidays, you can use your points to book your entire holiday. From your flights right down to activities, you can have your next holiday planned and paid for through your Velocity Frequent Flyer membership.|
|Virgin Australia lounge||Enjoy the facilities in the Virgin Lounge before you fly.Redeem your points for a single entry pass or an annual membership to the Virgin Australia Lounge. Silver members may also use points for the discounted annual lounge membership offer.|
|Cruisepilot||If an all-inclusive holiday with no hassle is your style, then you may want to redeem your points on a cruise. Compare cruise packages from leading cruise liners, including P&O, Royal Caribbean and Captain Cook before using your Velocity Points to book and sail away.|
|Brunel Limousines||Organising transfers to and from the airport can now be an affordable luxury when you redeem your points to book a chauffeur-driven car through Brunel Limousines.|
|Golf2Day||As a Velocity member you can redeem your points for $50, $100 or $200 Golf2Day gift cards, which can be used at golf clubs across the country. You’ll also have access to private, members-only golf clubs.|
|onsport.com.au||onsport.com.au is a leading online sports store in Australia. Redeem your points on fitness and sport apparel, products and experiences from the world’s biggest sports brands.|
If you’re looking to redeem your points but you’re a little short, you can purchase extra Velocity Points. Here are some basic requirements you need to consider before purchasing a Points Booster.
- How many points can I purchase? Velocity Frequent Flyer Points must be purchased in blocks of 500, with a minimum of 500 points minimum and a maximum of 50,000 points per purchase.
- Do I need to know what my Reward will be? You must nominate your intended Reward and the total number of points you require at the time of purchase.
- How often can I purchase points? Velocity Points Booster purchases are permitted twice per calendar year, per member.
- Can I purchase points for someone else? Purchased points may only be purchased by a member for their own use.
- Do I need to have Points in my account? You must hold 80% of the total required points balance for the intended reward in your account at the time of the Velocity Points Booster purchase.
- Are the points refundable? Velocity Points Booster purchases are non-refundable.
You can transfer points from your account to the account of an eligible family member, up to four times per membership year. Each transfer must be for between 5,000 and 100,000 points. You can complete the transfer either online by logging onto your Velocity account online or by calling the Membership Contact Centre. Telephone transfers will incur a $20 fee.
You can use points to book accommodation with over 550,000 properties around the world by visiting hotels.velocityfrequentflyer.com. With this option, you can use your points to cover the total cost of the accommodation or use a combination of cash and points to redeem your hotel stay. A minimum 4,000 Velocity Points is required to use the Points + Pay option, and you'll earn 3 points per $1 spent on any cash component of your booking.
Velocity Frequent Flyer membership levels
Velocity membership offers a variety of perks that vary depending on your status. Here, we look at how Velocity membership status works, the different levels and benefits available and what you need to do to progress to a higher tier in the program. We also outline other key considerations so that you can get the most out of your Velocity frequent flyer membership.
What are Velocity's membership levels?
Velocity Frequent Flyer membership levels are used to determine your status and benefits. As you reach higher membership status, you earn more points for flights and other activities. You'll also gain access to an increasing number of benefits with Virgin Australia and other Velocity partners. Unlike some other frequent flyer programs, this includes the ability to use points to upgrade international long-haul flights, which you can only do as a Gold or Platinum Velocity member.
Membership status is determined by the number of Eligible Sectors you fly in, the Status Credits you earn from flights and your spending at Coles or other Flybuys partners. To maintain a higher status, you need to earn a specific number of Status Credits and fly in a set number of Eligible Sectors within a 12-month period.
There are four different membership levels:
Red Velocity status
This is the entry level and you don't need to earn Status Credits or take Eligible Sector flights to maintain Red status. As a Red Velocity member, you'll earn the base rate of points for flights and other partner activity. You also gain access to the following benefits:
- Seating preferences. The ability to store your seating preferences for automatic allocation on eligible flights.
- Advance seating. The opportunity to select a seat at the time of your booking, after booking or at check-in.
- Domestic and international short-haul flight upgrades with points. Velocity Red members can use points for upgrades on domestic or international short-haul flights with Virgin Australia or Virgin Samoa.
- Premium Valet service. Both Brisbane and Melbourne airports offer Velocity members access to Premium Valet services for a fee.
- Family pooling. If you have family members that are also part of Velocity, you can choose to pool points as well as Status Credits in one account to help redeem rewards or reach a higher membership level faster.
- Membership card and Global Wallet. As a Velocity member, you can get a membership card that also doubles as a prepaid multi-currency Visa debit card. Known as the Velocity Global Wallet, this card allows you to load and spend money in up to 11 currencies, and also earns Velocity points per dollar spent.
- Member-only promotions. Velocity Red members get access to exclusive deals and sales with Virgin Australia and other program partners.
Silver Velocity status
This is the first of Velocity's premium membership levels. In addition to all the benefits that Red members get, Silver Velocity members can enjoy the following perks.
- Bonus points. Enjoy 50% more points on flights with Virgin Australia, selected partner airlines and other travel partners such as Hertz, Europcar and Thrifty.
- Priority phone service. This benefit allows you to skip the queue when you need to make an enquiry or manage your bookings via the phone.
- Priority waitlist. If you're waitlisted for an upcoming Virgin Australia marketed and operated flight, you'll receive priority over Red members (subject to availability).
- International priority check-in. As a Silver Velocity member, you can enjoy priority check-in when travelling internationally with Virgin Australia.
- Virgin Australia lounge benefits. Enjoy two single-entry passes to the Virgin Australia lounge (pre-loaded on your membership card), plus discounted annual lounge membership.
- Complimentary baggage allowance. Receive a complimentary checked baggage allowance when travelling with Virgin Australia and selected international airline partners.
- Status benefits with international airline partners. As a Silver Velocity member, you can enjoy similar status benefits with Velocity's international airline partners, including Delta, Etihad Airways and Singapore Airlines.
- Membership Pause for parental leave. You can pause your membership for six months when you're expecting a new baby or adopting a child. This gives you more time to maintain your Velocity status and points.
- Personalised baggage tags. Receive a complimentary personalised bag tag that identifies you as a Silver Velocity member.
Gold Velocity status
Gold Velocity members have access to Red and Silver status benefits as well as the following premium perks:
- Point bonus. You earn 75% more points than a Red member and 25% more points than Silver members.
- International long-haul flight upgrades with points. While Red and Silver members can use points to upgrade eligible domestic and international short-haul flights, Gold members also have the opportunity to use points for upgrades on Virgin Australia marketed and operated flights to Los Angeles and Abu Dhabi.
- Priority boarding. When travelling with Virgin Australia, you can board at any time using the priority boarding lane or business class lane (whichever is applicable for your flight).
- Lounge premium entry. If you're travelling with carry-on baggage only, you can access premium entry services at either the Brisbane Lounge or the Sydney Lounge (Sydney Airport Terminal 2). You must present your membership card and a Virgin Australia boarding pass on your date of travel to access either lounge.
- Sydney Premium Valet. You'll have access to a Premium Valet in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane.
- Melbourne lounge premium exit. If you're visiting the Virgin Australia Melbourne lounge before your flight, you'll be able to fast-track to gates 1-10 by using a premium exit and a dedicated security screening service. You will need to present your valid Velocity Gold membership card and a Virgin Australia boarding pass on your date of travel to access the lounge and enjoy this benefit.
- Priority screening. When travelling domestically, you can access separate security screening lanes at Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Gold Coast and Ayers Rock domestic airports during peak times.
- Fly Ahead. If you're booked on a domestic Virgin Australia fare (except a Getaway fare), you and up to three guests on the same booking can request an earlier flight to your destination. Terms and conditions apply (such as requesting bookings at least 30 minutes prior to the earlier flight's departure), so make sure you refer to the Velocity website for more details.
- Priority baggage. When travelling with Virgin Australia, your checked baggage will have priority delivery to arrival carousels.
- Complimentary hotel partner membership. You can gain access to an equivalent membership level in hotel reward programs IHG Rewards Club or Hilton Honors. This benefit is only available once and is valid for one year, so you will need to meet the hotel rewards program requirements to retain that level of membership.
- Complimentary car hire partner membership. You can receive an equivalent level of membership for the Europcar Privilege Program or Hertz Gold Plus Rewards. This benefit is only available once and is valid for one year, so you will need to meet the car hire rewards program requirements to retain that level of membership.
- Global lounges. You can receive access to over 150 participating international airline partner lounges. You will need to have a valid ticket and may be required to present your Gold Velocity membership card to gain access to these airport lounges.
- Guaranteed economy reward seats for a family trip. Once a year, you're guaranteed up to four return Economy Reward Seats to any destination in Australia when travelling with Virgin Australia. To make a guaranteed family booking, call the Membership Contact Centre on 13 18 75 and provide your desired travel details. You must book your flights at least six months in advance and a minimum points redemption applies.
Platinum Velocity status
As the top status tier for Velocity, Platinum offers members all of the benefits of Red, Silver and Gold plus the following exclusive privileges:
- Point bonus. Platinum Velocity membership gives you a 100% point bonus on base rates. That means you get double the points of Red Velocity members, 50% more than Silver members and 25% more than Gold members.
- Complimentary upgrades. Known as the UpgradeMe Platinum Member Offer, this service entitles Platinum members to four complimentary upgrades per year when flying with Virgin Australia on domestic or international short-haul flights. You must be booked on a flexi-fare to take advantage of this offer and can request an upgrade any time after booking by contacting the membership centre. Other terms and conditions may vary based on your flight details.
- Priority economy seat purchase. As a Platinum member, you can purchase up to two economy seats on sold out Virgin Australia marketed and operated flights when purchasing a Freedom fare.
- Companion Gold or Platinum membership. If you earn an additional 500 Status Credits over what's required to maintain your Platinum status, you will be able to request Gold membership for a companion of your choice. If you earn 1,000 Status Credits above what's required to maintain your membership, you can gift your companion with Platinum membership status.
How do I get Silver, Gold or Platinum Velocity Status?
Velocity membership tiers are determined by the number of Status Credits you earn in a year and by flying in Eligible Sectors. Status Credits are awarded on the following:
- Eligible flights. Flights with Virgin Australia and its airline partners earn Status Credits based on the fare class, distance and the airline, with amounts ranging from 5-200 per booking. In addition to earning Status Credits on fares you purchase outright, you can earn them on Any Seat redemptions and on fares flown as part of a Virgin Australia Holidays package.
- Flybuys activity. If you're a member of the Flybuys reward program, you can earn Status Credits for shopping at Coles, Coles Online, Liquorland or First Choice Liquor. To get Status Credits from this activity, you need to link your Flybuys and Velocity accounts, then use your Flybuys card when you're shopping. You'll earn 1 Status Credit for every $100 spent on eligible purchases, up to a maximum of 10 Status Credits per month.
- Credit cards. Some credit cards also offer bonus status credits in exchange for meeting minimum spending requirements each year.
In addition to Status Credits, you need to fly in a specific number of Eligible Sectors to reach a higher Velocity status tier. You earn Eligible Sectors based on the number of Virgin Australia marketed flights that you take and pay for with cash (rather than reward points). These are determined at Velocity's discretion, but basically each paid fare you book with Virgin Australia will earn you Eligible Sectors.
How many Status Credits and Eligible Sectors do I need for Velocity status?
You need a specific number of Status Credits and Eligible Sectors for each Velocity membership level. The current requirements are outlined below:
|Membership level||Status Credits||Eligible Sectors|
Example: Earning Silver Velocity status
If you're a Red Velocity member and want to earn Silver status, here are some examples of the activity required within a 12-month period to earn Silver status (based on flights taken after 30 January 2017):
- Domestic business flights. Taking five domestic Virgin Australia business class flights from Sydney to Melbourne = 275 Status Credits and 5 Eligible Sectors.
- International and domestic flights. Taking a return premium economy flight from Brisbane to LA plus a one-way economy flight from Brisbane to Sydney = 255 Status Credits and 3 Eligible sectors.
- Flights and shopping. Taking a return economy flight from Melbourne to Perth (90 Status Credits), a one-way business class flight from Melbourne to Sydney (55 Status Credits) and spending $1,000 every month with Flybuys partners that offer Status Credits (120 Status Credits in 12 months) = 265 Status Credits and 3 Eligible Sectors.
Maintaining Velocity status
Silver, Gold and Platinum Velocity membership status is valid for 12 months from the time you first reach that status level. If you want to maintain your status beyond this time, you'll need to meet the following Status Credits and Eligible Sector requirements within the same 12-month period that you have this level of status.
|Membership level||Status Credits||Eligible Sectors|
While anyone can become a Red Velocity member, you can unlock a world of other privileges when you reach a higher status tier. But consider the costs involved in meeting the Status Credit and Eligible Sector requirements for Silver, Gold and Platinum membership, so you can decide if it's worth the cost.Back to top
Mistakes to avoid
- Expired points. If you let your points expire, you can’t get them back. Your points will not expire as long as you are an active member, which means that you will have earned or redeemed points within a 24-month period.
- Forgetting to quote your frequent flyer number. You will need to quote your Velocity Frequent Flyer number at the time you make a booking. Whether it’s for car hire, accommodation or a restaurant reservation, be sure to provide your account details.
- Redeeming your points for the "wrong" reward. How you spend your Velocity Points is your decision. However, some rewards may offer high value for money than others, so shop around.
- Your points haven’t come through to your account. To claim points, you will need to log into your account and submit a missing points claim.
- Not logging into your account before shopping at the e-store. If you weren’t logged into your Velocity account before shopping at the e-store, you will not be allocated the points you earned.
How to manage your Velocity Frequent Flyer account
Managing your Velocity Frequent Flyer account can be done in three ways.
- Velocity Frequent Flyer online account. By logging into your account using your membership number and password, you will have access to your account details, update your personal information, make a flight booking, find out how to submit a missing points claim, view your points balance and redeem your points.
- Contact centre. If you would like to speak to someone directly about your membership details, you can call the Membership Contact Centre on 13 18 75.
- Virgin Australia app. You can download the Virgin Australia app for free from iTunes or Google Play and track your Velocity Points balance and Status Credits balance, transfer your points to a family member and claim missing points.
Updating your frequent flyer details for a Virgin Australia flight
Here are the steps you could take if you were booked on a Virgin Australia flight and want to add or change your frequent flyer program details.
1. Go to the Virgin Australia website (virginaustralia.com)
2. Click on the "My Bookings" tab in the left-hand navigation column and enter your booking details. You'll then be taken to a list of your upcoming bookings.
3. Select the booking you want to change your frequent flyer details for. This will bring up a page with a summary of the booking.
4. Click on "Manage Booking", then "Update My Details". This takes you to a page where you can update the details of all the guests travelling on the booking.
5. Select your chosen frequent flyer program from the dropdown menu, enter your membership number and follow the prompts to confirm the update.
If you had already added your Velocity Frequent Flyer details and then decided you wanted to earn points through another frequent flyer program, you could also make the update by logging into your Velocity account, selecting "My Bookings" from the left-hand column and then following the rest of the steps above.
Pictures: Virgin Velocity, Virgin Australia
Read more on this topic
How to buy Velocity Frequent Flyer Points
Right now, there's an offer of up to 20% off on Velocity Points purchases.
Velocity Membership Status Tiers
Discover how to climb the Velocity membership status tiers and compare the latest Status Credits offers.
The cheapest way to buy Velocity frequent flyer points
How to buy Velocity Points through Velocity Frequent Flyer and Membership Rewards programs to redeem your ideal rewards faster.
The best ways to use 50,000 Velocity Frequent Flyer Points
From flight upgrades to merchandise and gift cards, what is the best way to spend 50,000 Velocity Points?
Earn 35% more Velocity Points with ANZ Rewards in May
A neat way to maximise your Virgin frequent flyer points.
How the family benefits from the Velocity Frequent Flyer program
Virgin Australia Velocity Frequent Flyer allows you to take advantage of rewarding benefits for you, your family and pets.
Guide to Virgin’s accelerate corporate program
Learn how small and medium businesses whose employees fly frequently can benefit from the Virgin Australia accelerate corporate travel program.
How to earn Velocity Points on hotel stays and accommodation
Learn how to start earning more Velocity Points on your hotel accommodation today.
How to transfer your hotel points to Velocity Points
Transfer your hotel points to your Velocity account and redeem your next frequent flyer reward sooner.
How to redeem your Velocity Points for flights to the USA
Velocity points can get you to the USA through multiple airlines. Learn which way can work the best for you.
Ask an Expert