Guide to Flybuys rewards program
How to earn Flybuys points as you shop and redeem them for discounts at the checkout, gift cards, Velocity Points and more.
Updated . What changed?
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder.
The Flybuys loyalty program rewards shoppers as they spend at Coles, Kmart, Target and other partnered retailers. You can also earn Flybuys points per $1 spent with a credit card. You can redeem your Flybuys points for rewards including money off your shop, gift cards and travel. Use this guide to learn how to earn points, redeem rewards and get the most out of one of Australia's favourite rewards programs.
Receive 75,000 bonus Flybuys points
$100 Kmart eGift Card
Offer ends 17 December 2020
Eligibility criteria, terms and conditions, fees and charges apply
Citi Credit Card Offer
Receive 75,000 bonus Flybuys points and $100 Kmart eGift Card when you spend $3,000 within the first 90 days.
- $49 annual fee for the first year (reverts to $149 p.a. thereafter)
- 0% p.a. on balance transfers for 15 months, with a one-time 1% BT fee
- Purchase rate: 21.49% p.a. | Cash advance rate: 22.24% p.a.
- 1 rewards Point per $1 spent on domestic, overseas & Citi PayAll purchases (2 points per $1 with a Linked Diners Club Card)
How to join Flybuys
As long as you're over the age of 16, you can join for free online using the following steps:
- Go to the Flybuys website at www.flybuys.com.au.
- Click the “Join” button on the top right-hand side of the homepage.
- Provide your personal details and other general information about yourself. You'll then get an email with a confirmation code.
- Follow the prompts to confirm your membership and activate your card.
When you join online, you can print a temporary card to use in store until your card arrives in the mail.
Already at Coles?
You can join Flybuys at Coles or another participating store by getting a temporary, paper membership card. These are usually found near the checkout, so you can start scanning and earning points. If you join in a store, you'll still need to go to the Flybuys website and click "Join" to complete the signup process by entering your temporary card and membership details.
How to earn Flybuys points
Whether you're buying groceries, filling up at the petrol station or shopping online, here are some of the ways you can earn points:
Shopping with partnered brands and retailers
You'll earn points as you spend by scanning your loyalty card at the checkout in-store or entering your membership details when you're shopping online. Compare some of the partnered brands and how many points you'll earn per $1 in the table below.
|Retailer||Points earned||Where can you earn points|
|Budget||3 points per $1||In store and online|
|Catch.com.au||1 point per $1||Online|
|Coles||1 point per $1||In store and online|
|Coles Express||1 point per $2||In store|
|Discovery Parks and Top Parks||2 points per $1||Online|
|First Choice Liquor||1 point per $1||In store and online (excluding via Uber Eats)|
|First Choice Liquor Market||1 point per $1||In store and online (excluding via Uber Eats)|
|Fitbit||10 points per $1||Online (via https://www.flybuys.com.au/fitbitstore)|
|Flybuys travel||1 point per $1||Online|
|Garmin||10 points per $1||Online (via https://www.popink.com.au/corporate_rewards/flybuys_garmin)|
|Kmart||1 point per $1||In store and online|
|Liquorland||1 point per $1||In store and online (excluding via Liquorland Warehouse and Uber Eats)|
|mycar||1 point per $1||In store|
|Target||1 point per $1||In store and online|
Use a rewards credit card
Coles and Citi have credit cards that let you collect Flybuys points. With a Coles credit card, you'll earn points for each $1 you spend on eligible purchases, with the following earn rates.
Coles credit cards also come with your Flybuys membership barcode and details on the back of the card, so you can scan it when you're shopping with Flybuys partners to earn points through your credit card and your Flybuys account. You can also earn Flybuys points with a Coles personal loan.
Coles credit card earn rates
If you have a Citi Rewards credit card, you can exchange your reward points for Flybuys points. The exchange rates depend on the actual card, so we've broken down how many Flybuys points you'll get below:
Citi Rewards transfer rates
- Citi Premier and Citi Prestige credit cards: 1 Citi reward Point = 1 Flybuys point.
- Citi Rewards Card: 1.33 Citi reward Points = 1 Flybuys point.
- Citi Classic and Citi Gold card: 2 Citi reward Points = 1 Flybuys point.
You can transfer a minimum of 2,000 Citi Rewards for Flybuys points.
Some of these credit cards also come with bonus points offers, which can also help boost your Flybuys points balance.
Compare credit cards that earn Flybuys points
Insurance and utilities
If you want to earn Flybuys points on your insurance, energy or phone or other bills, here are some of your options:
|Company||Flybuys points earned|
|Coles insurance||1 extra point per $1 spent at Coles supermarkets|
|Optus||Receive bonus Flybuys points with eligible plans|
|Kleenheat||1 point per $1|
I forgot to swipe my Flybuys card. Can I earn points on previous purchases?
Yes. If you’ve shopped at Coles, just return to the same store within seven days of making a purchase and provide your receipt and Flybuys card. A customer service representative will add the points to your account. For other partners, call the Flybuys service centre on 13 1116 Monday to Friday 9am-7pm AEST. Limitations apply.
Redeeming Flybuys points
The Flybuys rewards program offers a wide range of ways to use your points, with redemptions starting from 2,000 points. Follow the steps below to redeem your points:
- Log in to your account at flybuys.com.au using your membership number and 4-digit PIN.
- Click on “Rewards” and browse the different options.
- Select the reward that you want and follow the prompts to make your redemption.
Some rewards, such as Flybuys Travel redemptions can be redeemed with Points + Pay.
- Money off your shop. You can redeem 2,000 Flybuys points for $10 Flybuys Dollars which you can use to get money off your shop at Coles supermarkets, Coles Express, Kmart, Target, Liquorland, First Choice Liquor and mycar.
- Gift cards. Use your points to buy gift cards for Coles, Target, Kmart, Spa.com.au, Gourmet Traveller Restaurant, Good Food Restaurant and BFC. At the time of writing, you can redeem a $50 gift card for 10,000 Flybuys points and a $100 gift card for 20,000 Flybuys points.
Velocity Frequent Flyer
Information about Velocity PointsDue to Virgin Australia going into voluntary administration, the Velocity Frequent Flyer program has placed a freeze on reward redemptions for an initial period of four weeks, effective from 21 April 2020. As of 15 May 2020, you can redeem points for some domestic flights. You can still transfer Flybuys points to Velocity Points at this stage, if you wish to do so. We will update this page with more information as it becomes available. You can also continue to redeem Flybuys points for other rewards.
The Flybuys and Velocity partnership allows you to transfer Flybuys points to the Velocity Frequent Flyer program, with 2,000 Flybuys equalling 870 Velocity points. To transfer Flybuys to Velocity, you need to link your accounts via the Flybuys website. This also allows you to earn Velocity Status Credits for spending at Coles, First Choice Liquor and Liquorland, which can help you achieve a higher membership level in the frequent flyer program.
Use our Velocity and Flybuys calculator to see how many frequent flyer points you could collect based on how much you spend at the supermarket. Velocity regularly hosts bonus points promotions when cardholders transfer their Flybuys (and other partnered reward points) to their Velocity account. Check out this bonus points guide to see if there are any current promotions running.
You can use Flybuys points for a variety of travel rewards, including the following:
- Flybuys Travel. Use your points to book flights, hotels and travel packages through Flybuys Travel. Rewards start at 2,000 points.
- Experiences. Book tours, experiences and restaurant reservations with Adrenaline eVouchers and other travel e-vouchers.
You can use your Flybuys points to shop and buy products across the following categories:
- Fashion and accessories. This includes bags, wallets, haircare and grooming, sunglasses and eyewear as well as watches and jewelry.
- Home and garden. Use your Flybuys to upgrade your home with appliances, BBQ and gardening tools, bed and bath items, dining and cookware.
- Technology. Tech rewards include phones, computers, tablets, headphones and speakers with brands including Apple, Panasonic and Sony.
- Travel and fun. Options include suitcases, travel bags and packing cubes.
- Lifestyle. Treat yourself to beer, wine or spirits, books and magazines, camping and outdoor accessories and more.
To browse the full catalogue and see how many points you'll need to redeem your preferred rewards, visit the Flybuys website.
Do Flybuys points expire?
Flybuys points don't expire as long as you collect or redeem them at least once a year. If you don't earn or redeem any points on your account for a period of 12 consecutive months, then your points will automatically expire and your membership may be terminated. You can see your Flybuys points balance and manage your account via the Flybuys website or by calling the customer service team on 13 11 16.
Frequently asked questions
Pictures: Getty and Flybuys
More guides on Finder
Ballarat hotels | Where to stay in Victoria’s central highlands
Compare Ballarat hotels, find the best sites to book them and get the latest coupon codes and deals to save on your stay
Best split system air conditioners in Australia
Our expert team has analysed hundreds of customer reviews of split system air conditioners to determine the best available in Australia for every budget and purpose.
Bendigo hotels | Where to stay in the Ceramic Centre of Victoria
Compare Bendigo hotels, find the best sites to book them and get the latest coupon codes and deals to save on your stay.
Newcastle hotels | Where to stay in the NSW coastal city
Compare Newcastle hotels, find the best sites to book them and get the latest coupon codes and deals to save on your stay.
Lorne hotels | Where to stay in the town of Lorne on the Great Ocean Road
Compare Lorne hotels, find the best sites to book them and get the latest coupon codes and deals to save on your stay.
Financial Fitness Challenge Week 3: How to get the most out of a credit card
How to cut debt and make your credit card work for you.
Best weed killers in Australia
These are the eight best weed killers you can buy right now in Australia.
Virgin Australia Business Reward discount: What’s on offer
Is a 30% saving on reward seats really worth it? We crunched the numbers.
Caloundra hotels | Where to stay in the Sunshine Coast town
Compare Caloundra hotels, find the best sites to book them and get the latest coupon codes and deals to save on your stay.
Port Fairy hotels | Where to stay in the Victoria fishing village
Compare Port Fairy hotels, find the best sites to book them and get the latest coupon codes and deals to save on your stay.
Supercharge your frequent flyer points with Points Finder
Ask an Expert