Earn flybuys points on everyday purchases and redeem them for flights, shopping discounts, gift cards and many other rewards.
With over 10 million cardholders across the country, flybuys is Australia’s largest loyalty program. It’s owned by Wesfarmers (the parent company of Coles, Kmart and Target, among others) and allows members to earn and redeem points for spending in a range of categories including grocery shopping, general retail, travel, petrol, insurance and banking.
What is flybuys and how does it work?
This shopping loyalty program offers you points for your everyday spending. When you sign up for flybuys, they will issue you a membership card that you can then scan at the checkout or type in your details when shopping online. This simple step allows you to earn points for shopping with program partners including Coles, Liquorland, Target and Kmart. When you have accumulated at least 2,000 points, you can redeem them for rewards including travel bookings, frequent flyer points, merchandise and money off your shopping with selected program partners.
How to join flybuys
Anyone over the age of 16 can join the flybuys program for free. Membership forms are available at the checkout or customer service desk in many Coles supermarkets. You can also sign up online by following the steps below:
- Go to the flybuys website at www.flybuys.com.au.
- Click the “Join” button on the top right-hand side of the homepage.
- Provide your personal details and other general information about yourself. flybuys will then send an email with a confirmation code.
- Follow the prompts to confirm your membership and activate your card.
Regardless of whether you register online or in-store, you’ll initially get a temporary card to scan when you shop with program partners. Your official, plastic flybuys card should arrive in the mail within 10 business days.
How to earn flybuys points
The flybuys program has a wide range of partners in categories including shopping, credit cards and banking, travel, insurance and lifestyle, which we outline in detail below. The way you earn points varies depending on whether you’re shopping in person or online.
- Earning flybuys in-store. If you’re shopping at Coles supermarket, Kmart, Target or at any other brick-and-mortar retail partner, you’ll need to scan your flybuys card at the checkout before you make your payment.
- Earning flybuys online. You can earn flybuys for shopping online with a program partner by logging into your flybuys account, selecting the partner and following the prompts to make your purchases. Some partners, may allow you to enter your flybuys number before you make a payment.
- Earning flybuys for previous purchases. If you’re a flybuys member and you’ve forgotten your card or details, it’s possible to get the relevant points added to your account. For example, if you’ve shopped at Coles, you can return to the same store within seven days of making a purchase, provide your receipt and flybuys card and a customer service representative will add the points to your account. For other partners, call the flybuys service centre on 13 1116 Monday to Friday 9am-7pm AEST. Please note limitations apply.
Earning flybuys points shopping with partnered retailers
With major program partners including Coles, Kmart, Target, First Choice Liquor and Liquorland, shopping is a key category in the flybuys program. Other partnered retailers include Adidas, FitBit, OPSM, Budget travel and more. Exactly how many points you can earn per dollar will vary between the partnered retailers, though. See our guide on everywhere you can earn flybuys points for a full list of the partners and the relevant earn rates.
Earning points through flybuys eShops
flybuys eShops is an online shopping hub that allows you to earn one point per dollar spent on a wide range of brands. Current flybuys eShop retailers include the following:
- Bras N Things
- Cotton On
Earning flybuys points with a credit card or debit card
Both Coles and NAB offer a range of rewards credit cards that offer flybuys points for every dollar spent on your card. Using a flybuys credit card provides you with additional points when you shop with program partners and also allows you to earn flybuys points on most other everyday spending. In addition to flybuys credit cards, the Coles Reloadable Mastercard is a prepaid debit card that offers one flybuys point per two dollars spent. This card can be loaded with your own money and used for spending in-person or online where Mastercard is accepted, without the addition of an annual fee or interest charges that may come from a credit card.
Earn more points with flybuys credit cards
Earn flybuys points on travel bookings
flybuys has its own online travel booking service, flybuys Travel, that allows you to earn and redeem flybuys points for flights, accommodation, car hire and travel packages. When you’re logged in and make a booking on the flybuys Travel website, you’ll earn one flybuys point per dollar spent. If you’re a member of a frequent flyer or hotel loyalty program, it’s also possible to earn points by providing your relevant membership number on your flybuys Travel booking. In addition to flybuys Travel, there are a number of travel and transport-related program partners you can earn points with directly.
- Budget. This car hire company allows you to earn three flybuys points per dollar spent on base rental charges within Australia.
- Etihad. Earn one flybuys point for every dollar spent on Etihad Airways flights that you book via the flybuys website or through personalised email offers that flybuys may send you.
- Kmart Tyre & Auto Service. Earn one point per dollar spent on car servicing, tyres, brakes, suspension, batteries and mechanical repairs.
Earn flybuys on insurance and other essentials
flybuys has several insurance and essential service partners that offer points for different spending and activities.
- AGL. You can earn between 0.5 and 1 flybuys point for every dollar spent on AGL household gas and/or electricity bills by linking your flybuys and AGL accounts.
- ahm. While listed as a flybuys partner, there are currently no offers from ahm. Previously, ahm has offered flybuys members bonus points for signing up for health insurance with them.
- Coles Insurance. Coles provides car insurance, home insurance and landlord insurance options that allow you to earn one extra point per dollar spent at Coles supermarkets. So, for example, if you had a comprehensive car insurance policy from Coles Insurance, you would be able to earn two flybuys points per dollar spent on your Coles supermarket spending (compared to one point per dollar spent without the insurance policy).
- Kleenheat. WA residents connected to the WA gas pipeline can earn one point per dollar spent on Kleenheat natural gas plans. Plus, if you switch from another provider, you can earn 10,000 bonus points upfront.
- Medibank. Link your Medibank health cover membership with flybuys and you can earn three points per dollar spent on fresh fruit and vegetables at Coles. If you have an eligible activity-tracking device (ie, a Fitbit) you’ll also collect 10 flybuys points per 10,000 steps.
flybuys has a growing range of lifestyle partners, particularly partners focused on health and fitness. You can earn flybuys points with the following companies:
- Fitbit. You can earn 10 flybuys points per dollar spent on any Fitbit Wireless Activity Tracker. Note that you must buy your Fitbit online at flybuys.com.au/fitbitstore and you must enter your flybuys card number at the time of purchase.
- Garmin. If you have a Garmin activity-tracking device, you can link it to your Medibank and flybuys accounts to earn 10 points per 10,000 steps. Occasionally, Garmin may also offer other benefits for flybuys members, such as bonus points or discounts.
- Goodlife. Earn two points per dollar spent on your gym membership with Goodlife.
- OPSM. This optometrist and eyewear company offers one point per dollar spent in store on frames, glasses, contact lenses and tints when you present your flybuys card at the time of purchase.
- Weight Watchers. Earn one point per dollar spent on a weight-loss plan from Weight Watchers. You can also get 5,000 bonus points for signing up to an online coaching or group coaching plan before 30 June 2017.
How to redeem flybuys points
The flybuys rewards program offers a wide range of ways to use your points, with redemptions starting from 2,000 points. Follow the steps below to make a redemption:
- Log in to your account at flybuys.com.au.
- Click on “Rewards” and browse the different options.
- Select the reward that you want and follow the prompts to make your redemption.
Some rewards, such as flybuys Travel redemptions or movie ticket vouchers, allow you to use a combination of points and cash. Known as Points + Pay, this option gives you the flexibility to make redemptions when you want, but minimum point amounts still apply. Below, we’ve outlined the key categories for flybuys rewards.
Money off your shop
If you’re interested in getting cash back, flybuys offers two different options:
- Money off your shop. You can redeem flybuys for cash off your shop at program partners including Coles, Kmart, Liquorland, First Choice Liquor and Target. In terms of point value, this reward has one of the highest rates, with 2,000 points equalling $10 worth of flybuys Dollars (or 1 point equalling 0.5 cents).
- Gift cards. flybuys offers a wide range of gift cards for everything from shopping to entertainment and dining. Most of these redemptions start from 10,000 flybuys points for a $50 gift card.
You can use flybuys points for a variety of travel rewards, including the following:
- Day cruises and travel experiences. Use your points to book day cruises and entry passes for other travel experiences. For example, Cruise Tasmania’s Heritage Morning Cruise costs 49,400 points, while an adult pass to SEA LIFE Sydney Aquarium costs 6,800 points.
- flybuys Travel. You can use points or a combination of points and cash to pay for flights, accommodation, transport or packages booked through flybuys travel. Redemptions start from 2,000 flybuys points and are available in increments of 200 points thereafter, with a dollar value of 0.5 cents per point.
- Velocity frequent flyer points. The flybuys and Velocity partnership allows you to transfer flybuys points to the Velocity Frequent Flyer program, with 2,000 flybuys equalling 870 Velocity points. To transfer flybuys to Velocity, you need to link your accounts via the flybuys website. This also allows you to earn Velocity Status Credits for spending at Coles, First Choice Liquor and Liquorland, which can help you achieve a higher membership level in the frequent flyer program.
- Etihad Guest Miles. You can transfer flybuys points to your Etihad Guest frequent flyer account at a rate of 10,000 flybuys for 4,000 Etihad Guest Miles. To transfer flybuys to Etihad Guest, you’ll need to link your accounts via the flybuys website. This also allows you to earn Etihad Guest Tier Miles for spending at Coles, First Choice Liquor and Liquorland.
- Budget car rental. You can use flybuys points to hire a car through Budget, with redemptions starting from 16,400 points for a one-day Holden Spark or similar (Group A) car hire in Australia.
Entertainment and experiences
You can use flybuys points for the following entertainment and experience rewards:
- Movie tickets. flybuys offers movie voucher rewards for both HOYTS and Village Cinemas, including Gold Class options. Redemptions in this category start from 4,800 for a HOYTS National e-Cinevoucher (Mon-Thu) for two adults.
- Theme parks. You can use flybuys points to get passes for Dreamworld, Sea World, Wet’n’Wild or Warner Bros. Movie World. Redemptions start from 10,000 for a one-day child ticket to Dreamworld, with Points + Pay available from 4,000 points.
- Food and dining experiences. Some of the food and dining rewards include Good Food restaurant gift cards, restaurant and cruise buffet breakfast vouchers, De Bortoli or Black Swan wine tasting and dining experiences, and high tea bookings.
The flybuys rewards store has a wide variety of merchandise you can purchase with your points or a combination of points and cash. We’ve highlighted some examples of redemptions in key categories below:
- Fashion and accessories. Options include jewellery and watches from popular brands such as Swarovski, sunglasses from Maui Jim, and wallets or bags from brands such as Fossil and MANZONI.
- Home and garden. This category includes items such as baby monitors, toys, kitchen utensils, bathroom scales and lawn mowers.
- Technology. You can use flybuys to get a new phone, computer, tablet, headphones, speakers and many other items, with brands including Apple, Panasonic, Xbox and Samsung.
- Travel accessories. Options include suitcases, travel bags and even luggage-tracking devices.
- Wine and spirits. You can redeem your flybuys points for wine bundles or a bottle of spirits, with redemptions from as little as 4,500 points for half a dozen bottles of wine. Alternatively, you could use your flybuys points to get cash off wine, spirits or other alcohol at First Choice Liquor or Liquorland by redeeming flybuys Dollars.
Key program details to consider
Here are the important details to keep in mind when looking at the flybuys rewards program:
- Point expiry. flybuys points don’t expire as long as you collect or redeem them at least once a year. If you don’t earn or redeem any points on your account for a period of 12 consecutive months, then your points will automatically expire and your membership may be terminated.
- Eligible purchases. While most purchases with a program partner will earn flybuys points, there could be specific exclusions. For example, you won’t earn flybuys points at Coles for gift cards, iTunes cards, charitable donations or smoking/tobacco products.
- Account management. You can manage your account online via the flybuys website. Alternatively, you can call the customer service team on 13 11 16.
- Redemption value. In general, most rewards offer a dollar value that ranges from 0.4 cents to 0.5 cents per point, but it depends on what you choose to redeem.
- Additional cardholders. You can add a cardholder to your flybuys account. This allows you to pool your rewards and benefits with a partner or family member/s.
The flybuys program is free to join and offers you benefits when you purchase from program partners. Membership offers the most value when you regularly spend with partners such as Coles, First Choice Liquor, Kmart, Liquorland, Target and flybuys Travel. If you don’t frequently spend money with these program partners, it may be worth considering other loyalty or frequent flyer reward programs to find one that’s more convenient for you.
Common questions about flybuys
Can I still earn points if I forget to swipe my flybuys card when shopping?
Do all flybuys members get the same offers?
How do I redeem flybuys points for money off at Coles?
- Sign in to your account at flybuys.com.au
- From the main menu choose “Rewards”, then “Money off shop”, then select “flybuys Dollars” and “Get it Now”.
- Complete the required information, and set up a 4-digit PIN.
- Select how many points you want to exchange for flybuys Dollars.
- Choose “Redeem now” and the flybuys Dollars you requested will be loaded onto your flybuys card.
Once you have redeemed your points for flybuys Dollars, swipe your flybuys card and enter your PIN at the checkout when paying for your items to receive cash off your shop.
I signed up for flybuys at Coles and got a temporary card. What do I do now?
- Go to the flybuys website.
- Click on the “Activate Card” option.
- Enter the number on your card (your “Member Number”).
- Click “Activate card” and follow the prompts to complete your membership. Note that you will be required to create a password so that you can log in to your account in the future.
How do I log in to my flybuys account?
How can I earn frequent flyer points through flybuys?
- Log in to your flybuys account at flybuys.com.au
- Click on “My Account” and then select “Linked Accounts”.
- Select the frequent flyer program you wish to link to, provide your membership details and hit “submit” to complete the process.
After you have linked your flybuys and frequent flyer accounts, you can choose to redeem flybuys points for frequent flyer points. You can also earn Velocity Status Credits or Etihad Guest Tier Miles for eligible spending through flybuys program partners.
Can flybuys points be transferred?
No. You cannot transfer, sell, or give your points to any other card or person. If you want to share your points, you can request an additional cardholder on your account.
Can additional cardholders redeem points?
Yes. If you have an additional cardholder on your account, they are able to redeem points for rewards. An email notification will be sent to the primary account holder for all redemption activity.
Do flybuys Dollars expire?
flybuys Dollars can expire if you don’t earn or redeem flybuys points within a period of 12 consecutive months.
Pictures: Shutterstock and flybuys.